Pentagenarians and Beyond W/B 4/26

garance

Cathlete
Hi Deb, Linny, Josie, and Joan--

This morning I did disk 19. Phew, this one is tough (69 min.) and I could sure use those weighted gloves. You are supposed to add 5 per cent to your 75 per cent 1rm, and that's pretty hard to do with plates and dumbbells. I just winged it and frequently went to failure.

Deb, I do like the simply ageless foundation on the first try. It's deliciously creamy.

Adventureland was very good--not as good as American Graffiti, but definitely some big laughs. I just didn't quite believe the romance.

Only in the 70s today, but tomorrow and Tuesday we are expected to get high 80s. A bit too much too soon.

Gardening this afternoon. Hope everyone had a lovely weekend!

Goof afternoon!

I did STS disc #4 today. My phone and internet connection were down so that is why I am so late in getting here. It's about 70 here and beautiful!

Garance, thanks for starting the thread today. I did but that make up, also the OUtlast Lip Stain that they listed on the site too, also some blush, but that was not listed. Target is dangerous for me.

I sometimes hold small wrist weights, they are each 3/4 pound, to add some weight when an extra 5 pounds would be too hard.

DH bought me a new digital camera for my birthday, and a book called "The Girls from Ames" by Jeffrey Zaslow. It is a true story about 11 women who are friends for over 40 years, even though they are all over the country. It reminded him of how women are friends, different from men, and how they can talk about emotions etc. He said he heard an interview on NPR with the author and went out and bought the book for me. He surprises me sometimes.

Hi to Linny, Josie and Joan!

Monday Madness

Good Morning!

I just finished 4DS Kickbox, and did not really feel worked out. I only burned 188 calories, which is nothing..mm..I guess I need t add some impact or something to this.

Our phone is out again, but at least we have the internet connection. I am not so sure I am liking this new digital phone system...it is not as dependable as the old fashioned one that's for sure. I'm am going to have to go to their site and find out how to register the outage..

Have a great day!

Happy Monday Ladies!

This weeks wo schedule will be:

M - Lower body from the 4 day split DVD
Tu - 90 minute walk
W - All upper body + spinning (45 min)
Th - 90 minute walk
F - Lower body
Sa- Double spinning 2 hours
Su - Spinning 1 hour

My DD told me that my legs look very nice. I guess the spinning classes are working, I also feel like my stomach is getting flatter. My clothes are also more comfortable.

My diet can use some work, but one step at a time.

This morning I did Gay Gasper's All-Out Infused Step (63 min.).

Deb, how sweet of your DH. I think I read a review of the book, too. Or maybe it was a NYTimes article on how important friends are for your health. The mention of the book was about how these women were a support system for one another when they had life-threatening diseases like breast cancer. The friends were more significant than relatives apparently.

Having some friends over for dinner tonight. I made this heavenly rich brownie pudding this morning (has a bit of Framboise liqueur in it and the seeds from one vanilla bean) for dessert with ice cream and roasted some plum tomatoes with olive oil, Sclafani balsamic vinegar--the really good stuff in the pinch bottle, a bit of sugar, minced garlic, salt and pepper, and julienned basil leaves after they are finished roasting. This way, I don't have the oven on when my guests arrive. I am making turkey cutlets with mushrooms, shallots in a Marsala sauce and linguine. Cheese and fruit for appetizers, and some Italian Prosecco Brut with the meal. I am going to try to give myself SMALL portions.

Really summer-y here--up in the 80s. Love it!

A good philosophy, Josie. Looks like a great week of exercise plans for you. I wish my legs were better. Tomorrow, though, I am doing disk 20, which is legs.

Hi to Linny and Joan!

Tuesday !

Good Morning,

I just finished an I-Tread..whew..that was tough for some reason, but at least I got through it. It's 57 degress here, supposed to get warm and maybe have thunder showers..:mad:..

Josie, your workout schedule looks great!..lots of spinning I see. ..how sweet that your DD mentioned that your legs are looking good. :)..that should make you spin even more!

Garance, That dinner sounds wonderful..your friends must love getting invited to your house. Mine are lucky if I order a pizza for them!

Waving hi to Joan & Linny...

This morning I did disk 20 (49 min.) for legs. Tough!

Thanks for helping me find my sponge, Deb. When I watched Joy Behar on the View apply it, it was with her finger, so I never thought of a sponge. So the sponge side is like a compact, and the foundation side is like a jar. I'm glad I didn't have any problems opening it, because I hate that--makes me feel stupid.

The dinner was lovely last night, but Ina Garten's brownie pudding is really sinful (and utterly fabulous if you love chocolate)! My friend is still recovering from knee replacement surgery and is really having problems with rehab. I could tell that she was depressed. She still cannot straighten her knee, and was going in today for the surgeon to remove some scar tissue--another setback. She has to rely on her DH to get anywhere because she cannot drive, and she is back at work, but feels so confined to her workspace when she would really like to be able to move around. She is the director of the Rural Lands Foundation and is an expert on wildlife, flora and fauna, etc. and she likes to go birdwatching, hiking, etc.

I just ordered my tower and used my discount from the STS cardio. Now I have another 20 per cent discount to use by the end of May. I will probably buy some of those weighted gloves. I have all of her workouts either on video or DVD.

Hi to Linny, Josie, and Joan!

Hi Ladies,

I will not be able to walk today, but will try to do at least 40 minutes on the treadmill.
I have a birthday dinner to attend this evening and we might go to a jazz club after.

Garance, I'm sorry about your friend. I would be depressed also If I could not do the things that I like. I'm surprised that you can do step even with your bad knees.

Linny, Where are you?

Joan, Did you hit a jackpot?

Deb, I always get in trouble when I go to Targer. I love their C9 workout clothes and my DD always finds bathingsuits or make up that she must have.

Have a great evening!
Josie

Hi Ladies:
Wicked hot today!! It was 91 degrees when I got out of work at 5pm.This is April???
DGD had a bad weekend and ended up in the ER twice.She fell out of tree and that night started vomiting .DD took her to hospital and catscan showed concussion.Went back home and about 8 hours later started vomiting again told my DD to take her back.Didn't want to take any chances with what happened to Natasha Richardson.MD says no contact sports for 3-6 months.I quess its good that she didn;t make the soccer team.
Deb: Was it your birthday monday? Sounds like you're been working out more regularly.I just can't get myself going during the week to get up early and workout.
Garance:I went to the self.com site and made a list of some of the items.Thanks for the info.I think I will try that Covergirl/Olay foundation and the lipstain.Your DH must love living with a chef:D
Josie:Have fun at birthday party! You are so good at writing down your workout schedule for week.Thats what I need to do. Tomorrow is weigh in at work,looks like I'm down 7 pds.Been doing Atkins since April 13th.
Joan: I hope you are having a great vacation.
~Linny~

Hi Deb, Linny, Josie and Garance,

I'm back. I plan to weigh in tomorrow but I'm very afraid. I tried to watch portions but everything was so good.

Deb Happy belated birthday.

Linny hope DGD is ok.

Joan

oVER THE hUMP WE GO!

Good morning!

I just finished STS # 5 Back & Triceps, and I am starting to "cave" on the pull up tower, :rolleyes:..still not happy that there is a 3 month wait, and not sure if I have the room for it. I also may look at those weighted gloves, easy to up a pound here and there when needed

Garance, where do you plan to keep it when you are not working out? don't you use your living room? I just know I will want it eventually and i am afraid it will probably be $100 more when it is in real production..Sorry about your friend. I am seeing more people lately getting that surgery..maybe just because of my age I am noticing it more, not sure.

Joan, Welcome Back! Tell us all about your trip, I want to hear what you did. Thanks for the BD wishes:)

Josie, did you go to the jazz club? I don;t know how you do that on a work night!

Linny, how awful about your DGD! is she a tomboy? LOL..climbing trees? :)..my BD was Tuesday ( yesterday). It takes a lot for me to keep getting up, but I know once I do it for a few weeks it will be easier. I am now waking up before the alarm, which is what usually starts to happen once my body gets in synch. WTG! on the weight loss, :D That is where I am having a problem..

Have a great day!

Hi Ladies,

I did not workout yesterday after work, instead I went to TJ Max and bought a new purse and a pair of Michael Kors jeans that fit perfect. The purse that I bought is by Tignanello and it was on sale at Macy's for $115.00, but a got it for $69.00. I will be double spinning tonigh to make up for the drinks and dinner from last night. We stayed out until midnight and I was fine this morning.

I also have not been able to get up and workout in the morning. I was doing so well before, but fell of the morning wagon. I will try again next week.

Linny, I'm glad that your DGD is fine and I'm glad that Atkins is working for you.

Joan, How much money did you win?

Deb, Happy Belated Birthday!

Garance, What's for dinner tonight?

Josie

This morning was 5 miles with Leslie (63 min.).

Happy belated birthday, Deb! I'm not sure where I will store the tower--probably in one of the boys' former bedrooms. I will just have to bring it down the hall into the living room when I work out.

Oh, Linny, that's too bad about your GD. My younger son was a soccer goalkeeper and had a concussion in one of his games. An ambulance came almost immediately and put some kind of brace on his neck. Everything turned out okay, but it was very scary. So far I am liking this foundation very much. I sent off to drugstore.com for the Garnier Nutritioniste roller and my usual Philosophy Amazing Grace bath gel (love it!). It was up to 87 degrees here yesterday too, but it's down to the 60s today. What we need is some rain!!

Josie, I am making a recipe from epicurious.com that is one of DH's favorites: penne with sausage. Very simple, too rich with the cream (I serve myself a tiny portion, though), but a simple salad on the side.

Welcome back, Joan! Did you win big??

Hi Josie--

Penne in Cream Sauce with Sausage:

1 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 lb. Italian sausage, casings removed
2/3 C dry white wine
1 14 1/2 oz can diced tomatoes with juice
1 C. whipping cream
6 Tbsp chopped Italian parsley

1 lb. penne pasta
1 C. freshly grated Parmesan cheese

1. Heat the butter and olive oil and saute the onions and garlic for 5-7 min., until tender.
2. Add crumbled sausage, and saute until done; drain excess fat
3. Add wine and cook for approximately 2 min. on high
4. Add tomatoes and juice and cook another 3 min.
5. Add cream and simmer approximately 5 min. until slightly thick
6. Add 4 Tbsp parsley and season with salt and pepper

Toss penne with sauce and 3/4 cup parmesan.
serve in pasta bowls with additional parsley as garnish and grated parmesan

This reheats nicely in the microwave, and I have also made the sauce a day ahead for reheating the following day. You can use either the hot or the sweet Italian sausage--I prefer the hot!

Bon appetit!

Good Afternoon,

I switched to playing quarter poker and hit 4 royals, Unfortunately I didn't stop playing and lost most of it during the week.

This was the best vacation in a long time. Last Wed. I walked past a booth across from the Garden Cafe at the Tropicana on the way to the bathroom. A girl wanted me to try her face stuff, I told her I would later.
Thur. I go by again and said ok. She put a cream on the wrinkles around eyes and huge verticle lines on my cheeks but only on one side of my face. Two minutes later she pats it in and then puts on another lotion.
It was a miracle. It worked immediately. I always buy things that say you will see improvement in 4-6 weeks but you never do. But even my husband could see the difference. I bought the two products even though they were very expensive. I spent the next week walking by mirrors and smiling. From 2-3 feet away the wrinkles look gone. If you hold mirror a couple of inches away they are 50-75 % better.

I haven't worn makeup in quite awhile because it just emphasized the wrinkles on my cheeks. I even had the spa at Flamingo do my makeup.

The jar says to put a thick layer on the face and wait 5-10 minutes and wash off. Bat-el (the sales girl-yes girl she was very young) Said to put on wrinkles only, just a tiny amount for whole face and leave on 20-25 minutes and then pat in. She said to only use once a week and that the jar would be enough for two years. It is called Dead Sea Premier Instant Stretching & Revitalizing Mask. www.deadsea-premier.com The other product was Intensive Age Treatment Serum- Biox Anti Age Complex.

I used the products again today. It seemed to last the whole week. I would definitely think you should try it before you buy any.

Weigh in was horrible I am up to 171lbs only 2 lbs less than when I started in Nov. but I'm not really surprised. I'm hoping that by Sunday I will lose 2-3lbs of water and will go from there.

Back later with wo.

Joan

Down the slope on Thursday!

Good Morning,

I just finished STS #6, Legs, and I am so fried. I didn't even do the "bonus" ones at the end. I have to start getting a better attitude when it comes to leg workouts, they are really not my favorite.

Josie, Yeah for new jeans that fit perfectly, those are hard to find! Go back and get another pair or you will regret it later. ;)..don't you just love when you get something nice for a good price?

Garance, I tried the foundation for the first time yesterday and it was pretty nice. I always judge by how I look at the end of the day, not when I first put it on. Does everyone do that? If by the end of the day, it has made lines more prominent, or makes me look sallow or tired, I toss it! I have looked for that roller at Target, and Walgreens, no one seems to have it yet. Thanks for posting that recipe.

Joan, It sounds like you had a good time on your vacation. I hope you didn't lose too much...:confused: I will go over and look at that stuff...You only need to use it once a week? I am such a sucker for any face or hair stuff...Maybe it is on Ebay for less..I'll see. Thanks for the info!

Linny, how is the DGD doing?

Have a great day!

Hi Ladies,

Today is my walking day. I was very tired last night after my 2 spinning classes and stying out late the night before. I feel great this morning after a good night sleep.

Garance, Thank you for the recipe, I will make it this weekedn. I showed it to my DD and she is going to cook with me.

Joan, I went to the web-site and saw the prices on these items, but if they work for you it is worth it.

Deb, I will go back to TJ Max tomorrow. It is pay day and I usully treat myself to something nice.

Linny, Where are you?

Josie

This morning I did disk 21 for back and bis (60 min.). I am toast. I did 45 lb. barbell for rows, double wave one arm rows with 17 lbs, 20 lbs, 22 lb dumbbells, 45 lb. barbell for deadlifts, and double wave barbell curls with 30 lb, 32 1/2 lb, 35 lb and finished off all of the dumbbell biceps with 15 lbs.

Joan, I think it's cheaper to get some botox and restylane than that dead sea stuff! I did botox for my crow's feet and the frown line between my eyebrows a couple years ago (300 dollars), and it lasted for three months on the crow's feet and the frown line never came back because I have really become self-conscious about NOT furrowing my brows. I might do it again in anticipation of DS wedding. Man, is that site expensive! You were lucky that you could sample the stuff to see if it works before making such a big investment. I guess I will stop grousing about the price on my essential-C daily renewal cream.

Deb, I found the garnier nutriste roller at drugstore.com. They also had a dollar coupon to apply. I am really liking the foundation. I think I still look pretty fresh at the end of the day.

Hope you like the recipe, Josie! It was really tasty last night.

Hi to Linny!!

Good evening Garance, Josie, Linny and Deb,

I'm playing around with my armband and did 1/2 hour of lowmax and 1/2 hour of Denise Austin walking vhs. I was surprised that Cathe burned 164 calories and Denise burned 258 calories. Maybe it was the order I did them in?

Garance I don't feel as bad about the price on line because Bet-el "gave" me Body Butter - a moisturizer and a sea salt body scrub with my purchase. The mask did get rid of the 2 verticle squint lines on forehead. I don't squint now that I found clip on sunglasses. Your weights are amazing , are you satisfied with results?

Josie I'm hoping to not buy any clothes for at least 3 months. I really want to lose 24lbs in that time. I have always had a "belly" even when I was 125lbs. I have NEVER fit in a pair of jeans. Two spinning classes!!!!

I weighed in at 170lbs this morning. I want to start sts at 167lbs-the weight I was before vacation.

Joan

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.