Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 4/20

Good afternoon Ladies!

What a nice day today and the weather is beautiful. My son stopped by for a quick visit on his way to his Dad's. Dh and I cleaned the screened in patio and stone patio a bit. Still needs more love but starting to look presentable after this long winter. We ended up cooking a spiral ham and thoroughly enjoyed it. It was rather large since bought at the last minute so I fear we will be eating ham all week. :confused:

I love the new streaming Cathe has and signed up immediately. I am more interested in the Cathe Live but will certainly get plenty of use out of having access to all her dvds. Today I did Hardcore High Step Challenge followed up with the LL&A bonus Barre. Both streamed. I have the LL&A DVD but not the HighStep one. So it was cool to have at my finger tips. Hooked my ipad up to the TV and was good to go. I also took chester for a 3 mile walk and if this was not enough took out my mountain bike and did a quick 2 mile ride on the trails. Been ages since I have been on my bike. All this talk about you girls riding really gave me the urge! :D

Brother is doing well. He was in ICU until this morning. He is extremely tired and grumpy. Sounds just like my brother.

Have a great evening and hoping you all had a wonderful day today!

We had an unexpected dry day. started out almost sunny and got cloudier but still dry. so
dh and I did a hike. not a hard one but around 6-7 miles RT. we were in the mountains in a "unsettled" area... no homes or farms or anything like that, just forest. we got to a familiar intersection and there were 2 domestic goats standing in the trees under a road sign. we stopped and looked, they looked back at us.... not in any distress... and we decided we'd call "someone" if they were still there when we got back. they would NOT fit in the back of the Subaru and very long sharp horns. maybe someone did it as a joke?

In addition to the difficulties in traffic from the mud slide we have another event, the Skagit valley tulip festival. It really is lovely . I will post a link if I can. the traffic back up from that was horrendous. so glad we didn't try to do a ride near there. it's perfect area for riding and a regular spot for us.... until the tulip festival becomes a traffic nightmare. lasts a couple weeks. we used to ride the area during the festival long ago, before it was promoted so much and it was lovely. now, it's a nightmare for people who live there and dangerous because drivers get frustrated and distracted.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ska...5ICADg&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&biw=1440&bih=688&dpr=1

Hope the above link works... there were a LOT of pics if it does.
Lori glad you got out the bike! we will probably ride tomorrow. glad your brother got thru the surgery OK. Hope his outcome is positive. He deserves to be grumpy as long he wants after 7 hours of surgery!

yesterday I did a warm up on the elliptical and then burn sets ch,sh,ba. ran out of time and didn't get the core workout in at the end.

Last edited:
Hi Everyone,

This morning DH and I went to Anytime Fitness. I did a back & tricep workout. They have a weight assisted pull-up/dip machine and I am using that to try to get to where I can do body weight pull ups and dips. I am doing better with the dips than the pull ups. Tonight I did a 2 mile run/walk. It was so nice! Sunny and 75 degrees.

We spent the afternoon with FIL and SIL.

Valerie- I love the photos of the tulips! I can see why they would attract attention!

Lori-I noticed the Cathe streaming but not sure I would use it enough. Maybe I will try one month and see how I like it. Great job on all the workouts!

Hi to Deb, Josie, Lynda & Cathy,

Judy

Good morning,

A nice day yesterday, all is done except for putting the chairs back in the basement and emptying the dishwasher. We went to the arena after my family left and helped tear down the equipment from the trial, load the truck and take all that back to the training hall to put away.

Lori, Glad to hear your brother is doing well. It was beautiful here yesterday too. It started out very cold, but was almost at 60 in the afternoon. A great day for doing some outside work. I'm not too sure about the streaming stuff right now. Like Judy, I am not sure I would use it enough to justify it. I would like to see a Cathe class though on Cathe TV.

Valerie, those pics are beautiful! We have a lilac festival not too far from here. (Rochester) that I have never gone too. but say every year once it's over that we should go the following year.

Judy, how is FIL doing in the assisted living place?

Josie, did you spend time with the grandkids yesterday?

Moving my office this week to the new location. At least class was cancelled tonight, so no late one.

Take care,

Hi Deb, Josie, Valerie, Lori, and Judy--

This morning I did GG (56:40) and yesterday RK (55:10) with 1 lb. gloves.

Yesterday was gorgeous here so I did a lot of yard and garden cleanup. DH did a lot of work dismantling our sons' rooms last week and brought a ton of things to Goodwill. He discovered that they have a contract with Dell for electronics and managed to get rid of a ton of old printers, calculators, etc. for free. They are also going to come and get these wretched old desks and bookshelves. Two almost empty rooms for rethinking. We packed up all of their trophies from wrestling, soccer, and basketball and their baseball card collections. Looking forward to sending this to them.

Lori, what a workout bonanza for you! I cannot imagine doing all of that in one day. We had a lovely ham steak and I made red eye gravy--no leftovers. A ham is too big for us without guests, but hey, think of all the sandwiches you can make. What good news about your brother. I'm sure that is a burden off your mind.

Valerie--gorgeous tulips! I only have a few here and there because we tore up a big patch of them when we put on an addition to our house. One of my favorite flowers. Funny about those goats. Wonder how they ended up there.

Deb, how do you like your new location?

Hi to Josie and Judy!

so funny... I live 15 minutes from the tulips but I only look at pics now too. the traffic gets so awful I don't go anywhere near there anymore. yesterday was horrendous with blockages and back ups. DH and I used to love riding there during bloom time but it's way too busy now.

we used to have lovely lilacs and a special park for them in Wisconsin. they were wonderful and amazingly fragrant. Lilacs don't do well out west compared to where winters are colder. I tried growing them here but they did poorly.

Did a fast 25 mile ride this morning. supposed to get wet after 11 so we hurried but it's still dry several hours later. I do much better with the hand wrist issues with summer gloves with more padding. I don't know why full finger gloves never come with much padding. I may need to try the fingerless gloves plus an loose over glove when it's colder.

I'm going to post a short report on the hiking site and see if anyone knows what happened with the goats. there were a lot of people driving around up there yesterday and many others must have noticed them.

Good evening ladies!

Slept in this morning. I actually slept well until my litte Nilla decided she wasn't sleepy anymore! Can't win sometimes.

This evening I started the Beta Phase of T25 which starts with Core Cardio. Then took Chester for a really short walk to the pond where he got to run a bit. Was so beautiful again today and wanted to get him out to enjoy.

Valerie...the tulips are beautiful! Stunning! I can understand why you stay away even only living 15 minutes away. I wouldn't be able to take the traffic either. Pictures work just as well. :). Hope the goats are ok.

Lynda...some days I have more energy then others. Yesterday was one of those days. After all the clean up we did I grabbed my bike my DH took a nap!!! We have tons of ham...took some to lunch and will do so tomorrow. Then I am going to freeze the rest until I decide what to do with it.

Deb....yes how is the new location? Hope you like. How are the 21 day workouts and program going?

Judy...we have Anytime Fitness here too. I have never been inside one. Good for you with working on your pullups. They are so hard.

Brother continues to do well. Hoping he is well enough for a phone call tomorrow. Would love to hear his voice.

Hi to Josie!!

Have a great night all!

Good morning,

Up very early, I could not sleep any longer, I keep thinking about work and all that is going on.

Lynda, yesterday was gorgeous here too. It was 76 degrees at one point. Loved it. It must feel great getting that stuff out of the house. We have 2 computer hard drives that we need to do something with. We always remove them from the actual computer case when we get rid of a computer, but have not destroyed them like we want to. An IT co-worker takes a drill and drills through them to make it so no one can look at them or whatever it is they do. I know, we are paranoid. Ok, I am stumped...what is red eye gravy?

Valerie, what happened with the goats? did you find out anything? Now my that you have my curiosity up? :)

Lori, So glad your brother is doing well. I need some of your energy sent this way! Workouts are at a stall right now. Stress has set in instead of energy and I have not done anything since last week. :( The new office is nice, however a little longer commute, which will make coming home for lunch harder. Also, we merged a some departments from another office and I am not used to having others in my building. We have had our operations group in my current building since 1988 without anyone else there. This will be different for us. It won't be just "my building" any longer.

Hi to Judy & Josie,

Take care,

I looked at the hiking sites and no one else posted about goats. I know they eat anything, even blackberries. the road( at this time of year) is a major route to a snowmobile route up mt baker, and is also used by climbers and skiers. funny because this is an area where seeing elk would be more likely. I suppose they could have wandered away from a farm many miles down the road? just seems someone must have dropped them there for unknown reasons.

Deb my DH is nuts about destroying hard drives too. always removes it and destroys it by doing something drastic.
He is also absolutely crazy about avoiding any online banking. we just had a BIG dust up.... I get 3 direct deposits to checking that come end of the month. the way the bank statement is scheduled, it arrives just before the deposits arrive. I was supposed to balance the checkbook "assuming" all was Ok. until a month ago, I got a phone alert and that was fine with me. but Chase stopped doing that last month. gave the option of email or text alert. so I took email but had to register online to do it. it was a bad disagreement. I have always had charge of checking and I refused to continue if I had to "assume" deposits came in, and that it was OK to write checks "assuming" the money was there..... unless I called the bank every month to ask someone to look up our account and check. so this is my first month accessing our checking account online. I don't feel the risk is high at all but I had to wade some deep water to get here.

Deb, change is always tough... especially when it upsets normal routines. it will probably settle out over a couple weeks. give it time.more later.

Hi Ladies,

Body pump on the schedule for today. My grandkids left yesterday around noon and the rest of the day I spent it cleaning up, laundry and grocery shopping. We all had a great time!

Only six more weeks to go before the ride. We will be adding more hills to the training, so that means that I can not slack off on any workouts.

Lori, glad that your brother is doing well. I'm going to start T-25 when I get back from the ride. Are you still using Ruthless?

Valerie, the only tulips I see are the ones I get from Trader Joe's :). I got a bunch (10) of yellow ones for $3.99.

Hi to Garance, Deb and Judy!

Josie

Hi Deb, Josie, Valerie, Lori, and Judy--

This morning I did After Burn (54:00).

Deb, red eye gravy is very easy to make. After sautéing a ham steak or smoked pork chop on both sides, you pour in a cup of very strong coffee (I do decaf), and bring it to a boil. When it turns red, pour in 1/2 C. cream and simmer until it thickens (usually I add a bit of flour to speed this up), salt and pepper to taste and pour it over the ham steak and I do baby potatoes with this as well. It's a southern thing. I forgot that you like to go home for lunch. Warm here today again. I hope the rain and cold front holds off. I have been enjoying spending the late afternoon puttering in my gardens. Everything looks about ready to take off--I can see the eyes of the peonies, and my daylilies are all sprouting.

Lori, I guess with a spiral ham you don't get a bone for making soup. That's what I would always do with a big old ham--make a black bean or lentil soup and throw in the final chunks of ham after the bone had done its work. Nilla has you very well-trained!

Valerie, I hope those goats weren't abandoned. That has happened around here and a good Samaritan animal lover I know just adopted one wandering around an area where she rides her horse.

Hi to Josie and Judy!

HAPPY EARTH DAY!

the president is here doing a tour of the Oso slide. helicopters everywhere. my neighbor went to Arlington to see if there was a motorcade of some kind. the press didn't give details, just said he was coming. we saw a group of helicopters and an osprey fly over a while ago so I am assuming that is how he will see people on both sides of the slide. there is a semi mud/dirt road workers use to get back and forth but it's not available for public use. guess we'll find out on the news tonight.

Lynda, that was our thought at first...the goats had been abandoned. but there's thousands of acres of vegetation to eat and they weren't around when we got back. probably will never know. very dense woods in all directions and I'm sure we could not get them in a Subaru.

Hi Everyone,

I usually forward the Cathe newsletter to DH, since there are always good articles on fitness and nutrition. Last night after reading it he told me I should sign up for the video streaming membership. He really thought it was a great idea so I signed up. This morning I did Cardio Core Circuit and a segment of Stretch Max, both streamed. Cardio Core Circuit is hard! I had to modify a few of the moves, but I was able to do most of the workout. Actually the core work I have done the past year must have paid off because I didn't have to modify any of the core exercises, only some of the cardio moves and jumps. I am looking forward to the live classes.

Lori-I'm glad that your brother is doing well.

Deb-I'm sorry about your work stress.

Valerie-I take care of our checking account too. I've been doing the banking online for almost 7 years and haven't had any issues.

Hi to Josie & Lynda!

Judy

Good evening ladies!

Slept in again this morning. Just wasn't feeling it. Tonight I did xtrain ch,bk shoulders followed up with 100 rep bi challenge.

Judy...what a good DH! I love the streaming. For instance makes it so easy to find the 100 rep challenges and bonuses. Looking forward to the Live classes too. I agree with you about Cardio Core Circuit. Wow that's a tough one!

Valerie...I heard on the news Obama was there at the mud slide. Sounds like there are still a few people missing. I do on line everything. All my banking is on line and love it.

Josie...I am liking T25 better this round than the first. I substitue a ruthless every now and then. I actually really like most of the ruthless workouts. Some are harder than others but all seemed to be a great little workout when you want something short or an add on. When I am done with T25 I'll pick back up with them. Your ride is coming up quick!

Lynda...the gravey sounds delicious. I am going to try this one out. Sounds really good on the potatoes.

Deb...you'll get back into the swing. Stress will zap the energy out of you. Going home for lunch is something I have not been able to do for over 25 years! Once I started with a commute to work it just never lightened up.

Have a good night all!

Lori I think there are just 2 missing people at this point. I'm sure that is part of what is delaying plans for road reconstruction. no one wants to go build a road over someone's dead body, if possible. It was good the president stopped here. it was a pretty low key affair.... a quick, efficient in-and-out. he met with families privately in a church and also with mayors of the two cities, first responders. does not seem like a lot of news media involvement. my neighbor heard there would be a motorcade and went to see if she could see the pres. we saw and heard the helicopters.... the Arlington airport is only (??)maybe 2 miles from here... as the crow flies. it was not hyped up into a political opportunity, which I was pleased about.
I should get my first email notification probably tomorrow. one deposit usually is on the 23rd. I think there are some risks no matter how you do things. bank statements can get lost or miss-delivered in snail mail too. I was not willing to try to write checks for a month not knowing if there was a problem a month previously. just seems totally crazy to me. not once, but every month. he seems to have settled down but I hope there is no problem... I will never get a minutes rest if there is.

Good morning,

Still rainy and cold here. Well we move starting at 4:00 pm today. I can't wait for this week to be over.

Valerie, I hope those goats knew where their home was and went back. I don't do any on line banking. I have an account for our main credit card so I can go on line and look at it, but I still pay all our bills with old fashioned checks. I'm with you though on the amount in the account. I would not assume funds are there until they are actually recorded in there. I saw that the President was going to stop there on his way to Asia.

Judy, you will have to let us know how that streaming is. Do you use an iPad or can you hook it up to your tv

Lori, did you also sign up for the streaming workouts? I guess they sound ok, but I mostly use premixes so it wouldn't be worth it for me until they start putting those on. The other thing about it is I have so many workouts that I get overwhelmed selecting ones to do. Having Cathe's complete library to choose from would be even worse! I have been going home for lunch for 41 years!

Josie, you must be getting pretty excited about the ride. Is your DD going with you?

Lynda, that gravy sounds delicious! Well we only have daffodils right now. The leaves of the day lilies are up. We need to weed right now or we will have a mess before the flowers arrive.

Have a great day!

I got my first email alert today so this will work fine. no interest in doing anything to increase risks. now I can access checking online if I need to. part of the issue is timing of the deposits. they come in just after the monthly cycle ends so I would not know if there was a problem for a month! not OK with me. this feels reasonable.

Deb, I agree without... I don't need any more choices for workouts! I have plenty I don't use as it is. wow, home for lunch all that time.... that's nice. I keep better calorie control if I eat at home and it ends up costing a lot of money if it's every day.

the presidential visit was beautifully done. he visited with each individual in private and people report it felt very person and heartfelt, not some slick political stop. no press allowed in. he flew into Paine field, jumped by helicopter to the Arlington airport, and motorcaded from there to Oso. so no need to announce and cause widespread traffic issues since there's almost no traffic on that road these days.

I've finally got some hope of us looking into streaming. I compiled a bunch of info about it but DH shot it down immediately, just wasn't interested. now his cousin is bragging about how much money he is going to save by cutting the cable. he goes with cell phone only ( I won't do that) and found a way to get local news channels to stream. we don't watch much TV other than local news so now DH is interested. saving money will be the motivator. be nice to drop to Internet/ phone. will have to buy a device to stream with.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.