Pentagenarians & Beyond W/B 3/30

fox2star

Cathlete
Good morning,

Just getting us started for the week. I gave x-Train chest, back & shoulders on tap for today...will check back later...

Good morning again,

workout done, breakfast done...now back to HouseMax...ugh...

we got a strange storm yesterday...4 inches of snow, but a lot of hail prior, which made the roads treacherous. John went to a banquet last night and it took him an hour to get home, when it usually takes about 20 minutes...he said it was a harrowing ride, and he is never flustered about driving in the snow etc.

Lori, not sure what Frozen is....I started watching The Good Wife Season 1, I had never seen any of these before...kind of reminds me of the premise of Damages, nasty woman head of law firm, young associates hired who are naïve, competitive, etc. Not as evil as the Damages plots, at least so far...and seems like a good show.

Valerie, I can't imagine running my DW every day...I think I run it once every week and a half. I wash coffee cups and re-use, same for a couple of glasses we use every day. I think this is telling me that I need to cook more real meals! :). Coconut oil is very good for skin, hair, cooking etc. I wish it came in a liquid form...the solid can be tricky to use without a mess.

Hi to Josie, Judy and Lynda,

Off to change the laundry...etc....

Deb stick with the Good Wife. a terrific series. there is of course some back stabbing and career politics going on but the story line is way less downbeat and more believable than Damages tended to be. the characters become very interesting over time although everyone does not always get along. people tend to patch up differences and agree to make the best of things, for benefit of careers etc. I'd love to watch from the beginning again. the first season I saw must be 5 years ago and because we watch many different series, I sometimes forget things.

Did Flex train yesterday. trying to get my legs back to working out on other than bicycles and elliptical, yoga. no soreness today so time to get back to regular stuff. I wanted to keep leg motion controlled somewhat to be sure the bursitis and muscle tear are totally healed. we want to leave on a trip next weekend.

today is my birthday and plans are to go out for dinner with cousin & his wife. we have a gift card DH got from a patient that we want to use before we forget we have it.

I'm loving the coconut oil. I scrape a little off the surface and it melts in my hand. feels and smells so nice.

I'd run out of spoons, forks, plates! plus it'd be stinky..... DW has options like a half load, rinse only cycles. I don't want things sitting in the sink so in they go. I can't imagine life without it. saves water besides, not that I live in a place where that's too important. still raining ... a record March already for us and more coming. both of us eat 3 meals a day usually here. I can't afford restaurant calorie levels often and I need a lot of fiber which does not come with restaurant foods. I don't like throwaways like paper plates, cups. also use very little prepared food. won't find canned soup or frozen dinners here. so I cook a lot compared to most people these days, that makes dishes. my DW gets a workout. Struggling with the Kitchen Aid DW really took a toll... I had to disassemble the thing to clean it out every few weeks so I made sure the replacement had a much better, accessible filter system, plus was quiet. The KA supposedly had a soft food disposer system but it ever worked even after factory service. Our kitchen/ family room are open and we can run the DW while watching TV without hearing it at all.

Last edited:
Hi Deb, Josie, Valerie, Lori, and Judy--

This morning I did RK with 1 lb. gloves (55:10).

Deb, that drive sounds harrowing. I agree with Valerie about The Good Wife. The characters grow over time, and there are a lot of interesting cases and courtroom drama. This season is turning out to be sad. I won't give you any spoilers. I had a lot of Housemax yesterday too because I didn't clean the previous Saturday--in Boston.

Valerie, happy birthday! You will have to tell us what you order. I know how disciplined you are, but maybe you can bring half home if you get something with a lot of calories. I do most of the serious cooking as well, although DH likes to do special things with his meats, and now he has a rotisserie for the grill (my Christmas present for him means less work for me).

Lori, the great thing about the EW piece on GOT is that it really helps jog the memory if you haven't read the books in some time. I finished them over two years ago, so the article brought me back up to speed. Also reminded me of how dark Martin's imagination is. Poor Theon/Reek!

Josie, I hope you had a great ride yesterday. We continue to hear about earthquake after shocks. Looks like a lot of damage in some places.

Judy, you will have to tell us how you like all your new workouts.

Good evening ladies!

Today I felt like doing a Barre workout. With all the jumping in T25 I wanted something less taxing on the joints so Turbo Barre is what I did. Wow been ages since I have done this one and boy did I feel the burn. I really like Barre workouts and do not know why I don't do more of them.

Valerie...HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Hope you had a great day celebrating. Enjoy dinner. Sounds like fun.

Deb...no snow here but tons of rain. I have a little water in my basement. Not much at all though. Carpet is a little damp in one area. There are floods everywhere so I am thankful this is all we have.

Lynda...I loved the article on GOT in EW. Made me really get excited for the season to start. I have read all the books too and the other day my son asked about a certain character and for the life of me do not remember his background. There are so many in the books and like you has been a while since i finished the last. The article did help a lot with my memory.

I have tomorrow off so I should sleep well tonight! :)

Have a great night all!

Hi Everyone,

This morning I did my first KCM workout, "Muscle Definition". I really liked it and I like KCM. She is a great instructor and she really puts a lot into her DVDs. I am impressed with the DVD menu and the premixes. Looking forward to doing more of her workouts.

We were lucky, no snow and today it got into the 50's and was sunny. DH and I went for a walk in the afternoon and it was so nice to be in the sun.

Deb-sorry about the snow :(
I'm with Valerie on the DW, I use mine everyday, sometimes twice a day.

There is a liquid coconut oil, we have it at the store:

Nature's Way * COCONUT OIL LIQUID - *BOTTLE; 10OZ

Valerie-hope you are having a great birthday!

Hi to Lori, Lynda & Josie

Judy

Good morning and Happy Monday ( NOT!),

Today I did a premix from Supercuts.

Valerie, how was dinner? Glad to hear that your leg is pretty much 100%....I need to look into bursitis, I may have something like that behind my knee....yesterday I had pain from back there right down my calf and into my ankle. My knee is a little "wonky" anyway, I can hear it crunch when I am doing things like lunges, etc. I agree, The Good Wife is more believable than Damages.

Garance, always nice to get a present for someone, that makes your life easier too! :). It reminds me of my cousin, who always buys her husband gifts that she wants. It's a standing joke between them.

Lori, good for you for doing that barre workout. Those are really tough. I need to finally try one of those. Maybe sub it for one of the leg workouts in my current rotation.

Judy, thanks for the link...I need to look into that. Glad you like KCM. Sometimes I worry about talking an instructor up, and hope that the person that takes your recommendation likes it. I can't wait for the new workouts. Although I have 6 of them on their way from the Beachbody 21 Day Fix program,...so I will have plenty of new 30 minute workouts to do.

Here is a link to my favorite site for health info....great ways to use Coconut oil: Make sure you scroll all the way down past the first video....

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/11/18/coconut-oil-uses.aspx

Josie, how was the ride?

Not much else here...work, then class tonight. I wish the weather would get better. It was almost 50 yesterday, we grilled steaks outside which was nice.

Take care,

Last edited:
Good morning ladies!

Off today! Yeah!!! This morning will be T25 cardio then I may do some heavy bag and spin a bit.

Wintery mix today on top of all the rain we have makes very slick roads. My DH had to scrape his windshields this morning. When will this winter end already!

Deb...too funny that you bought the BB 21 day fix. I just bought the new Dreambody DVD's. I really was trying NOT to buy any more workouts but dreambody was having a 50% sale thru today so I caved. I was feeling remorseful until I read your post. Now I feel better. :D

To help me commit to more Barre workouts I used my amex points to purchase a lightweight portable Barre from Amazon. I have been hanging onto my spin bike to do them when I do. It is adjustable and I will able to use it for plank pull ups which I will like a lot. I can't afford taking any more days off!! Too much time on my Ipad. :eek:

Judy...I really like the couple of KCM workouts that I have. Heard good things about Muscle Definition. Let me know how you like it.

Been hearing more and more about Coconut oil and the benefits.

Still no dishwasher yet and still do not miss it! The plan was to go yesterday and look but we decided just to relax instead.

Have a great day!

Thank you all for the birthday greetings. makes 66 seem like something I can still celebrate.
Dinner last night was very good. I had halibut with butter white wine sauce. It's so costly I usually don't buy halibut. 3 of 4 of us had the same thing. plus a spinach salad and some broccoli. we all skipped appetizers. I seldom eat bread anymore and they had lovely crunchy sourdough that was yummy to mop up the sauce.
DH has had a minor reflux problem recently, and cousin has had a series of difficult medical issues over the last 6 months. he had sinus surgery, infections, major antibiotics, c diff infection, then serious reflux problems. everyone felt fine last night but no one pushed the envelope and ordered anything spicy or overly rich. the restaurant ( on the water)was lovely ... busy, but not crazy loud. so not exactly party animals! I had a glass of Riesling. we had a huckleberry cobbler with ice cream for dessert with 2 spoons. a very pleasant evening. I decided to bite the bullet and do a leg workout yesterday so did LBB. oh my. I haven't done a dedicated leg workout in ages and sort of skimmed thru this one. reduced weight on everything. WAY minimized jumping. did only the standing workout, skipped the floor exercises. did Core 1 after. I am sore this morning but not awful, and not in the knee where I had issues last month. so I feel OK about it and will continue to ease back in. we will do a bike ride today. finally dry and sunny. it still surprises me that I can bike and mt bike like crazy, but Cathe workouts make me sore.

Judy I'll look into liquid coconut oil. there is something in standard lotions that my skin apparently is sensitive to, but not a clue which additive and no idea how to isolate what it might be. the solid coconut is a little messy but additives.

Josie, more earthquakes? hope it didn't affect the ride.

Deb, careful with the knee.... my bursitis was on the inside shin below the knee, apparently an attachment point for a ligament. it's Ok now but I'm still cautious.

Hi Ladies,

Happy belated birthday Valerie! It sounds like you had a great time. The ride was a bit windy but beautiful. We felt the 5.1 earthquake but not the aftershocks and it did not affect our area at all. No workout for me today, just grocery shopping and errands.

Lori and Valerie, I love coconut oil and use it as an under eye cream and for my feet and hands. My DD uses it as a hair conditioner. My grandkids love the movie Frozen.

Garance, I can't wait for GOT to begin. I love that series!

Hi to Judy and Deb!

Josie

This morning I did GG, the premix without the stability ball (55:40).

Valerie, your dinner sounds lovely. I have not had halibut in ages. I don't think it's a fish from the Atlantic because I have never seen it on a Boston menu. I cannot even remember LBB or if I even have/had it. I like Cathe's recent leg workouts because they are more varied with disks, bands, floorwork, a little bit of barre.

Deb, DH actually asked for the rotisserie, so I don't feel guilty when it lets me off the hook on cooking. Lately I have been looking at Veronica Mars on Amazon. They made such a fuss about it in EW, I thought I would take a look. Apparently fans were so upset about its cancellation that they raised enough money online for a movie, which is out now. It's pretty good.

Lori, I did Turbo Barre every Sunday for several months. It's pretty long, but I really liked it. It's a lot easier than Tracy Mallett's barre workouts IMO--Booty Barre really made me sore.

Josie, you are so lucky that the earthquake did not affect you. They showed some people on the news with their foundations cracked and chimneys crumbled. GOT starts next Sunday, but if you have HBO on demand, I guess you can watch it any time. According to EW, the producers are a bit worried about following seasons because it takes Martin so long to write such long books. They are hoping to go to a season seven. This searon is based mostly on Feast of Crows, the title itself warning a lot of dead bodies I guess.

Judy, I will have to check out coconut oil. There was a thread on the open forum about using it as some kind of a teeth cleaner by swirling it around in your mouth for several minutes. Ever heard of that?

ttfn

Hi ladies!

Back again... Ended up doing T25 Cardio and my legs were done. After the barre work yesterday my tush is still feeling it. So I chose xtrain ch,bk,sh burnsets. Then immediatley followed up with some inversion. Awhhh just what I needed.

Valerie...dinner sounded nice. Glad everyone was feeling well. Sounds like your friend has had a tough time recently. LBB is a tough one for sure! Been a while since I have done it but remember it being one that got you good.

Josie..we loved Frozen! I may be watching it again today before we give the dvd back. It's very cute. I have the GOT article from EW in email format if you send me your email address I will be glad to send it to you.

Lynda...good to know about Tracy Mallett and will check her out. The way I feel today there is no doubt Barre is a great leg workout. I heard about the swirling of coconut oil in your mouth. I have not tried it and do not think I will!

Hi to Judy and Deb!

Good morning,

Rest day today, late class last night. So up at 4:30 instead of 3:45.

Lori, are the Dreambody DVD's from Beachbody? It's too bad Cathe never got the Tower back in stock. I think that was great for barre workouts, and to use for a weight bench etc. With the new workouts she has put out recently there is no BB used so my Tower is gathering dust.

Valerie, your dinner sounds nice. I am not even sure what a bursitis it, I have to go over and Google it...

Josie, lucky that you were in an area that did not feel that quake. What is happening lately? Quakes, mudslides, planes disappearing...it's crazy for sure.

Garance, Veronica Mars...a series? will check it out. I am really getting into The Good Wife. Yes, that is called Oil Pulling and also a whole article on it over at Mercola.com. He is very into all that. His lifestyle, food and nutrition theories fascinate me. Although he is what some people would consider extreme. I get my supplements from his site. Check out the link I posted...so many uses for coconut oil. It's amazing stuff.

Hi Judy!

Work, then home to relax, take care

This morning I did Jazzercise Hiit (47 min.).

Deb, I will have to check out that site and learn about coconut oil. For some reason I thought coconut oil was supposed to be really bad for you in cooking--artery clogging. As you have said, there is a constant turnabout in health advice. I don't take fish oil anymore and no Calcium. Unless you pay a fortune for the fish oil, you're probably just getting a lot of Mercury from farm-raised fish, and a recent study suggested that Calcium supplements are bad for your heart. I give up! I don't think we will ever know what happened to that Malaysian flight. They haven't found any debris at all and they keep changing their minds about where to look. The story will probably just fade after awhile.

Lori, what's Dreambody all about? Another system from Beach Body?

It feels spring-like today. Maybe I will do some garden cleanup.

Hi Ladies,

Body pump class today and then I scheduled a physical with my Dr at 3:00. I called this morning and there was an opening for today. She is usually booked for a couple of months. I like to get things checked up before I go on my ride :)

I plan on going to spinning class tomorrow and body pump on Thursday and taking Friday off. I have a 104 mile ride on Saturday. This ride takes us from Valencia to Ventura and through orange groves and amazing views. This will be my third time doing this one.

Garance, I don't use coconut oil for cooking, I just use it as a body lotion and under my eyes. I may try it as a deodorant and see how it works. I have not found one that works for me :(.

Hi to Deb, Lori, Judy and Valerie!

Josie

I also don't use coconut oil for cooking... it wasn't long ago when it was considered unhealthy though I think it's gotten a reprieve. It used to be the big evil ingredient! I'm not big on supplements because my diet is very good and I'm not convinced they help in most cases. I take a calcium/D supplement once a day since we are so cloudy much of the year and sunshine so limited, then when its sunny I use sunscreen. I know there is (now) controversy over the calcium but since I get most from diet sources so don't worry about one tablet. I take glucosamine plus chrondroitin because it might help and doesn't seem to hurt. but that's it.

Deb, a bursa is a small fluid filled sac found between body parts that contact each other and need lubrication for free motion. there are dozens.. this was in a new spot for me. but it was because I was walking funny and has resolved. shoulders are a common spot for "bursitis".

I read that thing about oil pulling and it sounds pretty far out to me. I'd never do that. I don't buy the whole business about people needing supplements and weird diets and "cleanses" but coconut oil as a skin lubricant makes sense to me and I like it a lot so far.
Josie, have a great ride. wow 104. my legs and now my butt could take that but my wrists are just as ornery as ever and about 30miles is my limit still. even with new more padded gloves.

I think eventually something will be found of the Malaysian air liner but not happening any time soon. I am guessing there will be an accidental discovery of plane parts sometime in the future when the black box has stopped working. we have enough trouble right here with the mud slide which will be continuing (IMO) for months yet. what a mess.

went to yoga this morning, and then a total garden day. wow. a lot of upper body work. ton of composted manure!

Hi Everyone,

This morning I did High Step Challenge for the first time. Wow, that is one tough workout! I really liked mixing cardio with lifting. My heart rate didn't get as high as when I run or ride, but it was high enough.

Deb-Mercola's site is very informative. I bought his book, "The No Grain Diet" when it first came out. How do you like his supplements?

Valerie-your birthday dinner sounds really good! I haven't had Halibut in a long time.

Josie-glad you weren't affected by the earthquake. 104 miles? That is awesome! Have a great ride!

Hi to Lynda & Lori

Judy

Good evening ladies!

Slept in this morning and did T25 Total Body Circuit when I came home. Was going to be a rest day but like Shaun T says it's only 25 minutes!

My Barre came in today - I just love Amazon.

The Dream Body set consists of 5 dvd's and utilizes mostly body weight workouts and light weights. One of the dvd's is dedicated to Barre. They are all advanced but I am sure you could modify. You can watch the clips on Totalfitness.com and search for Dream Body. I purchased the cardio set. I have been eyeing them for a while because they are so different from what I do. They are expensive for only 5 dvd's so when I was able to get them at 50% off I caved. Oh it is not a Beach Body workout. The web site is fusionfitness.com

Deb...if Cathe still sold the tower I would have bought it in a heart beat. But what I have now...the squat rack and now this barre makes a perfect substitution and I am completely satisfied.

Josie...your ride sounds amazing going through orange groves. Beautiful! Smart to have a doctors appt and get all check out beforehand. Good that you do this.

Lynda...I hear you about not knowing what is good for you anymore. Things are always changing. Sometimes I do not know what to think anymore! I do not use coconut oil for anything but friends do and love it. I thought they cooked with it but I may be wrong. Hit 60 degrees here today. Finally a nice day!

Valerie...you are funny with the oil pulling. Sounds pretty gross to me too! So sad about the plane. I agree we may never know or out of nowhere a discovery will be made. The mud slide is so terrible to watch on the news. Must be all over the news for you constantly being right there. Poor people.

Hi to Judy!!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.