Pentagenarians and Beyond W/B 3-29

garance

Cathlete
Hi Linny, Josie, and Joan--

I am starting our thread in the absence of our fearless leader Deb. This morning I did disk 13, starting mesocycle 2 (65 min.). I think Deb would like this mesocycle, because it has longer rests and is very reminiscient of SH. I also did some pyramiding because you repeat the same exercise 3 times with successively lower reps (12, 10, 8). I can go heavier on the shorter reps in most instances, and so I did.

Beautiful weather yesterday--sunny and in the 60s. After cleaning house, I spent the afternoon outside cleaning up the gardens. We went to see I Love You, Man with Paul Rudd last night. It was modestly funny. Reminded me of an extended episode of Friends with raunchier dialogue. So today it's ugly--45 degrees, but it feels like 38 with the wind and sleet-like rain. Blech!

Hope everyone is having a great weekend! Especially Deb in Mexico!

Hi Ladies:
Thanks for starting our week Garance. Have you been noticing any changes in your body since starting STS? I still have to check the new dvds that Cathe is putting out next.
Yesterday was beautiful inland come afternoon but my DH said that it was foggy and damp all day at home.I went bridal gown shopping with my DD and she is pretty sure she found the dress. Its strapless corset with little tucks of beads from waist dress.She looked so beautiful.Then she took me to see the vineyard they will be married at.Function hall was post and beam with a barrel shaped bar,they had a heart shaped pond outside to take pictures and a large gazabo.So I'll be spending alot of time helping with decorations and anything else she needs.
DH and I went to I love you man today,thought it was pretty funny.There were alot of young guys(late 20's).
I'll check in tomorrow~Linny~

Hi Linny and later posters--

This morning I did Gay Gasper's All-Out Infused Step (63 min.). It felt new again and I love the music on this one. Good abs as well.

Linny, I think my upper body definitely shows more definition. On legs and butt, little if any change, but I have to modify these exercises. I just don't have pain-free range of motion on things like lunges and wall squats.

The wedding dress sounds just lovely. I wish our wedding was going to be closer to home! But I am off to Phuket in October.

I did order the new STS cardio. It looks like a good deal, and I am praying for a modifier along with a lot of others at the STS Cardio forum.

I am longing for some spring weather. It's nasty here today.

Hi Garance and Linny,

Sorry for not posting. We have been very busy at work and did not get a change.
I have been spinning and today I will be going to yoga.

I got some sun on Saturday and did some shopping. The weather was beautiful on Saturday, but terrible on Sunday.

I hope Deb is having a great time.

Josie

Hi Ladies:
Actually got out of work at a half way decent hour.I know I complain at times about the long hours but I do like the residents and staff.Maybe someday I'll have a smooth running ship.
Garance: I have some Gay Gasper dvd's and she is a good instructor.I haven't done a dvd recently,mostly the elliptical.Good to hear that the STS is giving you more definition.I just wish I could wake up tomorrow and be 30 pounds less:).Sounds like we'll be busy coming this October.My DD's dat is October 25th,whats your son's?
Josie:Hi,good to see you're still with us.We had some pretty crappy wether today rain,rain and more rain.Yesterday we actually had a thunderstorm for about 20 minutes,it was 40 degrees out(weird).
Hi to Deb in Mexico,hope you have a margarita.Where are you JoanC?
~Linny~

Good evening ladies,

I have 374 returns in with 344 completed. I haven't posted because I haven't been able to do any wo or much of anything else.

I just had a client pick up his return. He has to go to Mexico for his work. The last time he went he interrupted a robber in his hotel room and was knocked out. He says conditions in the town he goes to are so bad he is afraid to go back. I hope the tourist areas are safer. I'll be glad when Deb returns.

Garance I did order the new series. I have learned to modify a lot so even if they don't add someone to modify I probably can do it. I don't think they "get" that we want the intensity without the damage. Since the average age on Cathe.com is over 40 they may want to reconsider their target group.

I don't have a wedding to lose weight for but I do have my 40th HS reunion in August. I'll be glad to be back with everyone April 14th. (If it's not done before the 15th, it's not going to get done.)

Joan

This morning I did disk 14 (48 min.). She does 3 tri-sets for legs (a tri-set is 3 different exercises done three times, with a one minute break between each time), followed by 3 sets of one-legged calf raises. Not as varied as the first mesocycle, but effective. I am improving on the paper plate slides.

Linny, the wedding is on October 15. I will leave on October 11 and stay until October 18. It's a 5-star resort (Aleenta), and I plan to make this a real vacation--snorkeling, sightseeing, a little shopping. Linny, we had that thunderstorm, too, and according to DH, you should expect the first frost in the fall to be exactly 6 months after the first thunderstorm in the spring. Being a farmer, he's pretty obsessive about the weather. First calf born this morning. Sooo cute!

Josie, we had a beautiful day on Saturday as well--up in the 60s, so I could open some windows, be out in my gardens.

Joan, I believe Cathe is going to be 43 in July. She doesn't look like she's going to slow down yet, but maybe she will take pity on us and throw in a modifier. I would really like it even better if it were someone older or a bit heavier.

You missed a great DWTS, Deb. Wow--Gilles on the Argentine tango received 3 10s. He was smokin'!

Hi Ladies,

It is a beautiful day here today. I feel like I'm getting sick again, I just finished some antibiotics that my Dr. prescribed because I had a dry caugh that would not go away and not I have a sore throat. This cold/flu season just keeps going around and around. I will never loose the extra weight at this rate.

I'm planning on walking tonight if I feel better after work.

Josie

Hi Ladies: Just a quick hello.We have the state surveyors at work,so I didn't leave till 6:30p.Tomorrow I have to be there at 6am so I need to go to bed.So far survey is not going very well. I probably won't be able to check in tomorrow because I'm going to a hockey game where my DGD will be singing before game starts.Hope you all have a great night.~Linny~

Happy April 1,

I'm usually glad to see the start of this month. If people bring in their tax returns now I don't promise to get them done by April 15th (extensions).

I always do complete them but for some reason it takes the pressure off.

I really want to get off my nonworkout mode once tax season is over. I bought the gowear fit system. I hope the calories burned is accurate and seeing the numbers will motivate me.

I reentered the info on the nutrition calculator. I put in sedentary and to lose weight I would have to eat 839 calories. Of course that is impossible besides unhealthy. So 1339 calories is all I can eat to stay the same if I don'e move from my desk.

Linny Enjoy the hockey game or at least hearing your DGD.

Josie I hope you get to feeling better.

Garance I wish you had better results on you lower body. When I get back to sts I know I will have the same problem with lunges and wall squats. I sometimes have better results with Cathe's floor work.

I hope my client gets here soon. It was supposed to be a 10:00 appt.

I guess I should at least clear my desk off before they come.

Have a great day.

Joan

This morning it was 5 miles with Leslie (63 min.).

Poor Josie! You have been plagued with cold and flu bugs this winter. Hope you are feeling better soon.

Joan, what is the gowear fit system??

Have fun with your DGD, Linny!

Deb, when you return you will be happy to know that the double elimination on DWTS included Steve, the computer geek, and Holly, the Playboy bunny. Interesting combo! I guess American doesn't like "too smart" or "too well-endowed" airhead. Actually, I worried about those girls tumbling out of the skimpy costume last week.

Back to work here.

Back again,

GoWear Fit is like the bodybugg they wear on Biggest loser. You wear an arm band. It tells you how many calories you are burning per day or per exercise period. You wear it 24 hours and it also graphs how well you are sleeping. There is a monthly fee if you use graphing etc on computer but I also bought the display(watch). At Amazon it was cheaper than at gowearfit web site and you got 3 months service. I think it will also do your calories in like Cathe's on the website. I can't lose weight by cutting my calories enough because that would be 837 calories to cut 500 cal per day. I have to get most of the calories from exercise and I know treadmill and workout manager are probably not accurate on caloires burned.

I'll let you know if it works.

Joan

I did disk 14 this morning (54 min.). I think I need some 25 lb. dumbbells for 1-arm rows. I was using 20s with no problem. I used 15s for biceps, went down to 12s for preacher curls, couldn't do them, so I went down to 10s. 40 lb barbell for rows and deadlifts. I will add some weight for deadlifts next week.

Joan, that sounds like some monitoring system you've got. I don't watch the Biggest Loser, so I didn't know there was something so Big Brother-like to measure calories.

Another calf born last night, which makes 2 out and 5 to go. After Clover seemed to be having some trouble in labor, DH actually had to help her with pulling the little heifer out.

Hope you are feeling better, Josie.

Beautiful weather here today.

Hi Ladies,

I went to a spinning class last night and tried to sweat the cold out of me. It seemed to work. I'm also taking some otc meds. I will be walking tonight. I feel much better today.

Joan, I have seen that monitor on the show and was wondering what it did. I'm a bit challenged what it comes to all those gadgets.

Garance, I wish I could see what goes on at your farm. I have never been to one.

Linny, I hope that all goes well at work.

Deb, I hope that you are having fund!

Josie

Hi Ladies:
Went to hockey game last night to see DGD sing.Wasn't able to get a clear shot due to chorus was right to the side of us and couldn't see unless I went and stood right in front of them:( Oh well,at least I was able to visit with her after she sang.
Another crazy day at work.State surveyors still there and will be back again tomorow because they are on time restraints and weren't able to wrap exit interview together:(. Then at lunch I decided to help feed a patient and she ended up having a seizure.I thought she was going to die right there.I had to block her from other residents to give her privacy during seizure.About 2 hours later she had another,poor lady.
3-11 nurse and aide had a big fight so I had to split them up.Told aide she had to go to another unit to work.What a big mess!I'm so glad today is OVER!
Garance:Wow you must be getting pretty buff if you're looking for heavier weights:) I love training back,but those deadlifts hurt my back. I bet Clover was happy about DH being there to help her out.
Josie:Glad to hear you're feeling better.I haven't been able to work out since tuesday due to state being at work:(.I'll have to start all over on saturday.
JoanC:That GoWear Fit band sounds like it must be pretty expensive.I still haven't been able to get to a weightwatchers meeting to join.I thought I was going to be able to this past week but.....
~Linny~

This morning I did Kelly C-M's Kickbox (53 min.).

I have been sleeping like the proverbial stone. Usually I get up once during the night. Maybe it's this second mesocycle. I read over at the STS forum some others are also very tired. I have wanted to sleep in the past 3 mornings. I don't even hear DH when he gets up in the middle of the night to check in on his "ladies."

Yes, Josie, things on the farm can get pretty busy. DH might have to call the vet because the first cow to calve, Vicky, still hasn't expelled her afterbirth. She has her "streamers," though. I don't completely understand the biology here, but according to DH, if you pull it out when it's not ready, you pull out these "buttons" or something that are needed for the following year.

Linny, your job sounds very stressful. What were the nurse and aide squabbling about?

I'm off to get some highlights this afternoon. Blondied-up as DH puts it.

Have a great weekend!!

Hi Ladies,

I will be doing a double spin class on Saturday and walking on Sunday and I may go to yoga if I feel like it. I have a birthday party to go to on Saturday on Sunday we are going to a Jazz Club to see one of my co-workers perform. That is why I need to do a double spin class.

Today is clean up day at work. I try to clean out my in box and file otherwise I can't work in a cluttered office.

Linny, We want to hear the juicy details of the argument.

Joan, I hope that you are doing well with the taxes.

Garance, Have you tried a Manhattan with the Woodford Reserve. I think I gave you the wrong name of the burbon last time.

Josie

Hi Linny, Josie, Garance and Deb

Linny the band and the watch were $240. I had told dh that it was what I wanted for my birthday in January and also Valentines day. He thought that was a good idea because he has trouble thinking up presents. I didn't get it then because I wasn't sure I would really use it. I'm glad I waited I wouldn't have wanted to waste the 3 free months.

Seeing how few calories I use has made me do some minimal cardio to get to my required 5000 steps and 30 min moderate exercise for the last 4 days.

I have 386 returns in with 358 completed.

Joan

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.