Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 3/23

fox2star

Cathlete
Good morning,

Just getting us started for the week. I have an X-Train workout on tap...will check back later.

Good monrning ladies,

Silly me to think I would run after Plyo Legs. Ha! It did me in. I used really heavy weights and when I was done I was done! Had been a while since I did one of these. I did take Chester for almost a 3 mile walk later in the day it was to nice out not too.

Had a wonderful day with DS' girlfriend. There was nothing I really needed from Nordstrom rack since it was still mostly winter clothes and I want to get out of these. I did buy some nice workout clothes which I am very happy about.

This morning is the usual breakfast with DH, then workout, food shopping then hair cut in there somewhere.

Have a great Sunday all.

Good morning,

Today I did X-Train Burn Sets Chest, Back & Shoulder premix, but no Core.

Lori, a 3 mile walk after Plyo Legs is an accomplishment in itself! It's nice that you and your DS's girlfriend can go out and do things together. It sounds like this is serious? Yes, Friday was Mammo, and bone density, tomorrow I go for a blood draw to check my liver values again...a re-check after the one done when I was sick and they were elevated a bit. I've been looking at the Beach Body 21 Day Fix....it's kind of gimmicky for the nutrition part, but like the idea of 6- 30 minute workouts. It is on 3-4 week back order due to the popularity.

Judy, I can't believe that Collage let you pay etc, then cancelled the order? They should know when they are out of something...lots of people put them in their "shopping carts" and when they went to pay, they weren't there. Then somehow just a day or two ago they miraculously found some more workouts, including KCM etc and put them on the site. What about all those people like you that had stuff purchases? wouldn't they fill those first?

Hi to Valerie, Josie and Garance.

It's snowing here right now....:(

Stay Warm!

I don't know if this story made national news. DH and I tried to xc ski yesterday and drove to the mountains. first place had been chewed up by 4 wheelers so headed for 2nd choice. forest service road was closed down low unexpectedly by a big messy mudslide. we figured 2 strikes was enough and drove home to make a garden day out of it.
shortly after we got home we saw on the news that a massive mud slide had taken out multiple homes, killed several people, and blocked the highway plus the flow of half of the river. this was the road we just drove both directions and we (fortunately) were an hour earlier. everything up and downstream is at risk of flooding now. will learn more in the paper this morning. This is just a huge mess....
we are feeling very very very lucky.... if we'd been hit by the slide I... I don't want to think about it.... we'd likely be dead. there were cars on the highway but nothing has been found yet. a few people have been rescued but the mud is like pudding, filled with trees and debris and impossible to move over. even if we'd stayed to hike or ski, we would have had a long re-route to get home. it was scary seeing the pictures of an obliterated road we'd driven 2x the same morning. needless to say we will find something else to do.

Lori your leg workouts are fabulous. I am looking forward to getting back in the swing of it. Deb, I just had my labs repeated because mine were off a little when I was on double antibiotics ..they were back to normal. always feels good to see things normalize. If we don't do a bike ride, that is my workout choice for the day too.

Last edited:
Hi Ladies,

The ride yesterday was beautiful and the weather was perfect for riding, it was in the low 60's and overcasted. No workout today, I have my three nieces visiting.

Valerie, that is so scary. Glad that you did not get caught in the slide.

Lori, your workout sound like what I do in body pump.

Deb, good job on your workouts.

Josie

we have seen mudslides up close and they're more water than anything...sort of like vast sea of pancake batter. you can't walk on it, can't row a boat in it, and you will sink in and be gone unless you are attached to a helicopter or someone on solid ground. we looked closely at the small slide on the road we'd driven to, and decided to call it a day after looking at it. there were no warnings and conditions didn't seem unsafe....

the death toll will go up. many people unaccounted for, and no one knows how many cars on the hwy were hit. it sounds like most of the "unaccounted for" people were from the homes that are now gone.

Valerie-I'm so glad you are ok. The mudslide sounds horrible. I'm so sorry for the people who got caught in it.

Good morning & Happy Monday...(ugh)

Today I did a premix from Cardio Leg Blast. I have to modify a lot on this one or my knee would be killing me afterwards, but that is ok, I still get a good workout.

Valerie, I still can't believe how lucky you and your DH were on Saturday! I read that article on Yahoo..so scary.

Josie, nice job on the ride, I bet it was beautiful!

Garance, can't wait to hear about your trip!

Hi to Judy & Lori,

Work, then no class tonight! Yay!..

Take care,

the mudslide story is all that has been on the news here since it is now entered body recovery. very unlikely anyone will be found alive. the threat of a severe flood event has decreased as the river is finding its way around the blockage now. Still, this was very frightening event. I think the toll will rise to around 30 and some bodies may never be found.

I've complained about finger infections recently.... had another not as bad as the first, but it's resolving on its own. this one is not mrsa though the first ones? don't know. the diagnosis is likely to be pernio also known as chilblains. the infection was probably secondary to it .... I'll get more info tomorrow. I was surprised to find that it was discussed on this thread in 2008. Lynda, your DH has this? please let me know what practical info you have learned about it.

Hi Deb, Josie, Valerie, Lori, and Judy--

This morning I did RK with 1 lb. gloves (55:10).

We had a lovely little vacation in Boston. There was a special luncheon before the concert on Friday afternoon with a lot of interesting things on the buffet. I loved the coconut crusted shrimp, the fried green tomatoes with a jicama slaw and lime crème fraiche, but there were too many other things to try and I wanted to have the mini mocha pot de crème for dessert, so I did not try everything.

The concert was all Beethoven: "Leonore" overture no. 1, Concerto in C for piano, violin, and cello, and Piano concerto no.5 in e-flat, also known as the "Emperor" concerto. The cellist (Alisa Weilerstein, barefoot in a strapless purple gown), the violinist Guy Braunstein, and the pianist Yefim Bronfman are all virtuosos and it was absolutely thrilling to watch them. If any of you are familiar with these pieces you know how gorgeous they are. The concertos are so beautifully structured and the final rondos pull everything together.

I would strongly NOT recommend our hotel--the Marriott at Copley place. The elevators were awful--so slow that sometimes the wait was 10 minutes or more. Very expensive. You had to pay extra for internet, 49 dollars per night for parking, and no free breakfast. The other thing this weekend was a Comicon gathering, and it was like Halloween in our hotel with young people traipsing about in crazy costumes to imitate their favorite characters. March madness was also part of the general zaniness in the lounges. We did have a very nice meal in the Legal Seafood the first night, which is right in the hotel (yay--lobster for me, cooked perfectly). Very high end shopping mall if you want to spend a lot of money on Chanel, Prada, Coach, etc.

DH and I spent a good four hours at MFA. The Audubon exhibition was wonderful and the Impressionism exhibition was really special for me. Many of the pieces in their collection are familiar to me only looking at slides or in books. There were two photography exhibitions, one of avant-garde European, the other American moderns. We really explored several more rooms and were pretty much exhausted by the end of the afternoon. Then we went to Strega's on the waterfront for dinner, which was TERRIFIC! There were nine of us, and the food was some of the best Italian food I have had. I had two appetizers, which was plenty for me: eggplant rollatini and scallops in an orange and Grand Marnier sauce. My usual Manhattan. I only had a couple bites of the desserts others ordered.

It was great to see sil's husband and children, mil and fil, and both of my sons this weekend. A mini-reunion. Many of my sil's friends were also there, as they were at the memorial service, and it was good to see all of them again.

Valerie, I did see the news about that mudslide, which looked terrible. You are very lucky!

Lori, I have the new EW with all of the news about Game of Thrones. Looks like a good, bloody season again.

Deb, it's freezing here again. When oh when will we get some warm weather. Max was happy to be home--he stays at a kennel which has radiant heating in the flooring, AC in the summer, and a door to go outside when he wants. The kennel owner really adores him because he is not a barker. Much better and bigger areas for the dogs than when we left him at the vet's.

Hi to Josie and Judy.

Good afternoon ladies!

Yesterday I did T25 Cardio and then walked Chester 2.5 miles.

This morning was my sleep in morning so no workout. I may do some chest/back work tonight.

A coworker is starting T25 and he asked if I would do it with him to motivate him and hold him accountable. We will not be working out together. We both are just doing the rotation. Since my other friends all stopped with P90X guess it makes no difference what I do!

Valerie...what a close call for you and your DH. This is so sad. This morning I heard the death toll was at 108. Is this true?

Lynda...looking forward to hearing about Boston.

Josie...oh the weather where you live sounds so nice! We have another snow storm coming this week. This is very unusual for it to be as cold here. It is ridiculous at this point.

Deb...I love Cardio leg Blast. One of my favorites from Xtrain.

Hi to Judy!

Have a great afternoon ladies!

Lori I am hearing 108 too... very hard to figure out ... people who knew who was home and who had gone somewhere..... but whole families are gone. it's not clear what cars were on the road and it relies on someone knowing who "might" have been on the road. plus phones and internet were down in the area for some time. these are "guesstimates" on who was likely there and relies on others calling in with accurate information. it is heart breaking.

Good morning,

I just finished x-train burn sets, bi's & tri's....Cathe sure knows how to "fry" those muscles.

Valerie, so you have another infection in your finger? I never heard of that but looked it up...caused by exposure to cold and then quickly warming?

Garance, your time in Boston sounds nice, I can't imagine being at a hotel with those Comicon people! I didn't even know what that was until a friend of mine's daughter was going to one....I had to ask what it was. We used to put our first Wire Fox Terrier at a kennel like that, but he was not welcome any more due to his barking! I was shocked when I called to set up a time for him and they bluntly said, "Brandy is no longer welcome here"....What???? He was a little crazy.

Lori, Sunday Night Syndrome? Probably a good thing just to accept it and take a rest day.

Hi to Josie, & Judy!

Work, all my peers and managers from Memphis are in for two days. Lovely.

Take care,

Lynda, we posted at the same time yesterday so in case you don't read back, what can you tell me about chilblains also called pernio? you said you husband had this problem? boston sounds lovely. I love Italian food! probably my favorite cuisine.

Deb another finger was inflamed with a blister like spot but not mrsa ( cultures came back neg) and maybe not even an infection. the first 2 fingers were some kind of infection but this all may have started because of the irritated skin on my hands. I use lotions etc but they are ugly especially in winter. or it may be a contact dermatitis? after my visit to the Derm... her exam room was extremely hot!! my hands glowed red and burned for almost 24 hours. I jokingly said that if I have to come back, they put me in another room or meet me in the parking lot! it must have been 90 in there, bright lights too.
DH was with me and we both took off outer layers, and his face was glowing red and perspiring. I know many times people need to be undressed to be examined, but this was pretty extreme. I am OK being on the cool side, but have never tolerated heat well. I could never spend the whole day in that kind of heat...it felt like a sauna.

wow, your dog must have been terrible Deb... kennels are like that. one dog barks and then they all bark and maybe Brandy was the barking trigger.

all our news here continues to be the mudslide. the numbers of missing are quite high because people to report someone "missing" but maybe they don't know a last name or any details, and so with multiple vague reports, what may sound like 5 people named Bob may turn out to only be one person named Robert. people may have had friends visiting. other people may have just been driving on the road and until someone notices they aren't around, they don't get reported.

Hi Deb, Josie, Valerie, Lori, and Judy--

This morning I did Lean Legs and Abs (48:22).

Deb, I agree on Burn Sets. That's the one where I stupidly picked up 20s for bis and was sweating bullets by the time I finished the first round of 10 reps.

Valerie, the news keeps coming in on that mudslide. The weather person on MSNBC said that this area has had many mudslides over the years and wondered why people had been allowed to build there. Any mention of this in the news there?

Lori, it sounds like this storm will hit the Cape, but we will just be getting a lot of high wind. This storm is supposed to be similar to Hurricane Sandy in the way it is forming, but will quickly move out to sea.

ttfn

all kinds of reports on slides in this area. yes, there have been slides before, the most recent apparently in 2006 where a section of slope blocked the river to some degree. the river itself might be implicated in that it may have worn away the lower edge of the 2006 slide and helped cause the bigger event.
when you look at google maps, you can see a line that closely resembles where this slide broke off. obviously, long before the event itself. we get a lot of rain, water percolates down, slopes give way. logging always can be a factor in destabilization, and there aren't many areas here that haven't been logged at least once and replanted. there was no logging in this area recently, the slope was forested. just a massive chunk that released suddenly. I can't guess about what risks are acceptable before building permits are issued. I think I remember what it looked like before, and it didn't look 'precarious" or anything, but like most people I just glanced at the development as we drove by many hundreds of times.
I was hearing reports there may have been a small earthquake but so far it's unclear if this was before the slope collapsed, or if the 'small earthquake" was the slide itself releasing. so much flying back and forth...will take a long time to sort this out.

they ( rescuers) need to be careful because it's raining again and entirely possible more slope could come down. don't need more people killed or injured.

a link to previous slide activity plus a map
http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2023218573_mudslidewarningsxml.html

Last edited:
Hi Valerie--

We must have posted again at the same time. Chilblains? DH works outside and when he is doing something mechanical, he takes his gloves off and his fingers get very cold. He said the chilblains were itchy, and the doctor told him to try to keep his hands warm with some funny kind of gloves.

If you like Italian food, you would love Strega's. The atmosphere is also very Italian and reminded me of places we went to in Italy.

I've been distracted and not posting what I've done.

a couple 25 mile bike rides. haven't missed yoga, went last week and this morning. then did 15 on elliptical, core 1 and burn sets bi's and tri's. not a killer day but OK.
I've had these finger issues. but not clear what, if anything it is. it cleared by itself, cultures were negative. maybe chilblains? I must keep it clean, warm and dry and nothing else if it stays "OK".

Good morning,

Slept in today, had a long day yesterday, getting up at 4:00...and not hope until 7:30. Took the work guests out to dinner. Ate too much yesterday too...ugh. Starting over today.

Valerie, I read about what you think you may have and hot and cold extremes are what may trigger it I guess. I am sure you must have really good gloves for riding, and it's not like you are out in sub-zero weather..mmm...not sure. What do the DR's say it is? Yes, I believe our Brandy could have been the trigger to make the other dogs bark. When we went to a different kennel, we explained right up front that he was "kicked out" of the other kennel for barking, and the owner said. " well, dogs bark, what do they expect?"....and he went to that kennel for the rest of his life and they loved him...go figure. I never thought of that...multiple people reporting the same person makes be happening...which would up the number quickly.

Garance, wow, 20 pounds for biceps is awesome! I am lucky if I get through all those sets with 10's. Actually had to drop to 8's to do the Crazy 8's ones. I hope the storm passes by your areas.

Hi to Lori, Josie, & Judy,

Another long meeting day today, then interviews tomorrow, I'm filling a manager position...this weekend can't come soon enough for me.

Take care,

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.