Pentagenarians & Beyond W/B 3/2

fox2star

Cathlete
Good morning,

Today I did KCM Weights, premix of #2 with active Core rests. In this one she does 3 upper body exercises, twice through, then 2 minutes of core work, then a different set of upper body exercises etc. I liked it and it was over quickly ;).

Valerie, sorry to hear about your friend, I hope they are able to do something quickly for her and that it turns out ok.

Lots of HouseMax today. John is out with the snow blower right now, we had more snow overnight...does it ever end? :confused:

Take care,

Hi Ladies,

Woke up with a stuffy nose, so I will take the day off. I will go spinning tomorrow morning.
It's still cloudy and raining off and on so I will just catch up on some movies and enjoy :)

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Josie

Hi Deb, Josie, Valerie, Lori, and Judy--

This morning I did RK with 1 lb. gloves (55:16).

Well, it looks like this storm will miss us and stay south (hurrah!). It's actually sunny and just seasonably cold today--in the 30s. I am off to a special dinner tonight for the local Rural Lands Foundation. The menu looks great, but I don't think I will be able to eat all of it--too many courses. After that it's the Oscars. There are always a few surprises and I have recorded the red carpet so I can see what everyone is wearing.

Josie, it sounds as though the rain was pretty intense around your area--mudslides? flash flooding? You must not be affected.

Lori, I love the idea of a fur ball. How was it?

Valerie, that really sounds awful about your friend, and so sudden in the symptoms.

Deb, what will you be watching now that DA is over?

We did a not very hard hike yesterday... out to a headland over the sound looking for birds, other marine life. it was pleasant but didn't see much. thought we would, since it was very calm, water was flat, easy to see things. just nothing to look at! Afterwards my leg got sore... must have overdone something. riding hasn't bothered it at all. it got quite sore but was reasonable this morning. really makes me unsure what I can do without repercussions. I will give it today off, and do an upper body workout. we are still debating about the California trip... weather will be improving so I think we will go next week maybe midweek and not stay as long as we'd planned. getting into spring planting season and need to get some things done so we can go to Utah in april.... I think, anyway. our plans have gotten changed a lot lately.

supposed to be wet and windy today but so far no. I cooked ahead so I can watch the Oscars from the beginning. I made a wheat berry chili I like a lot. Weight watchers doesn't like this kind of thing though..... too many carbs... vegies, wheat berries, black beans, spices, lime juice. 1 TB of olive oil. no cheese or anything. it still comes out point heavy. I will check serving size as I think I eat way less than the recipe calls a "serving" and maybe that's the point problem.
I like to watch red carpet stuff too, seeing hairdos, what everyone wears, who's with whom etc.

Thank you for you kind thoughts on my friend. I hope this turns out to be a case of preparing for the worst but with a good outcome. we have been friends for a long time.

Good evening ladies!

Yesterday I did flextrain and added on Lean Legs and Abs floor work/firewalker section followed up with x10 low impact. When I tacked on the x10 I still did the warm up as I feel it is so fast pace it is like a little work out in itself. Today was KCM shape up workout #1 followed up with Ruthless Speed,Sweat,Strength. Another great combination.

Deb...I really like KCM Shape Up. I saw that her presale for her 2 new workouts begin on March 9. I am not going to order them during the presale. I noticed her dvds are on amazon so going to wait for the reviews and then buy with my points if I feel I need them after the reviews. Oh it never ends!

Josie...hope you feel better soon. Nasty cold going around here. I have been fortunate and have not been afflicted with it yet.

Valerie...I love the Oscars! I have set my dvr to record in the event I fall asleep. I love all the red carpet preshows, all the celebrities and everything! My DH and I always make a game of picking the winners. I am so sorry about your friend. Heard from my brother today and his surgery is scheduled for April 18th. Strange about your leg acting up again. Wise to only do upper body. Hoping this was just a fluke.

Lynda...the Fur Ball was a lot of fun and we will plan to go every year from now on. Dancing, food, raffles and autions all night long. Amazing the amount of money raised for this Shelter.

Judy...thinking of you and Echo.

Have a good night ladies.

Good morning,

Cardio Coach this morning, it was hard to get up, but I'm glad I did. Another cold winter blast today, I think the high will be a balmy 8 degrees...

Josie, hope you feel better!

Garance, not sure what to watch...I was looking at The Good Wife...not sure if that is a good one, do you have any suggestions? I miss Doc Marten... How was the dinner?

Valerie, you are smart to keep a watch on your leg and not overdue it. Who watches your kitty when you go away?

Lori, you are a workout maniac! I can't imagine doing all those at one time. I am such a wimp. :rolleyes:. Did you get KCM Trim Down? That one is good too. I will do the preorder, for $13.99, a bargain! How do you get points on Amazon? With all I buy there I deserve points!:mad:

Judy, still thinking about little Echo... my Friday night agility instructor had to put her Golden down Saturday....very sad.

So for all of you that watched the Oscars...did you enjoy it? did you pick the winner?

Nothing much here...work, then class tonight...the late one.....

Stay warm!

Good morning everyone.. Loved the Oscars last night! a great program. Ellen was delightful... best host they've had in years.... which actually doesn't say much, since the last hosts were BAD. but she was GOOD .... the right funny, light tone. no big surprises really but enjoyed it a lot. they kept it moving along and didn't cut anyone off in acceptance speeches.

Deb, Good Wife is my favorite series but it's been going for 4-5 seasons and I'm not sure how good it is if you haven't seen all the lead-in seasons. the story lines and characters have evolved and to me would only make sense if you've seen the earlier seasons.

I left my leg alone. rest. walking around the house, heating pad. it's not quite normal yet but much better. sometimes when you have an injury, efforts to protect it cause a new injury. seems to be decent today. maybe elliptical later if it feels OK. maybe not. I did flex train ch, sh, ba and core 1 yesterday afternoon.

Puss gets to stay home alone when we go away. I used to take a previous kitty to a kennel and it was expensive and he hated it. easier for all to set up the auto feeder, couple of litter boxes and 3900 sq feet of house for him to roam in, rather than a 4x4 cage. he's always happy to see us come back.
Josie, hope you dodged a full bore headcold. I can't work out at all with a headcold, makes it worse and lasts 2x as long.
I agree with Deb.. Lori you make me feel like a total wimp! that is a whole lot of workouts combined.

This morning I did Jessica Smith's Barre Fitness--all three workouts, 20 min. each. I like this one. The first workout is cardio with a lot of ballet-like moves; the second is toning with 3 lb. weights and a chair for leg work; and the third is core with playground ball and a lot of Pilates moves. I could imagine doing one of these as an add on or doing 2 for a short workout.

Deb, you can get all of the earlier seasons of The Good Wife for free on Amazon Prime, so why not start there? It's a very good series. I also recommend the 90 minute installments of the PBS Sherlock Holmes. Martin Freeman is a wonderful Watson, and Cumberbatch is great as Holmes. If you had Netflix, I would recommend the first season of House of Cards. Very noir and similar, imo, to Damages, which I know you liked. Dinner was excellent, but I brought half of it home. I thoroughly enjoyed conversation with the people at our table.

I wasn't surprised at all at who won the Oscars, although it was supposed to be very close in the case of best picture between Gravity and 12 years a Slave. I would have been very disappointed if Gravity had won, because to me, it's just a lot of special effects with very little story. I was pulling a lit bit for Amy Adams instead of Cate Blanchett, because I have mixed feelings about what Blue Jasmine is really about--I think maybe it's a veiled attack on Mia Farrow.

Lori, did you buy anything at the Fur Ball? I agree with Deb and Valerie that you are a real workout aficionado. If you enjoy it, why not?

Valerie, have you also taken a vacation from yoga?

Josie, hope you dodged a bullet on the cold. I did not catch one from my DH thank goodness.

Hi to Judy!

I haven't missed a yoga class..... might skip tomorrow since we are finally doing the CA trip and I have a lot to do. if it's raining in CA , just won't stay as long. need some sun! need something new. leaving Wed am so far, unless anything else goes wrong.

I also would have been upset if Gravity won Best pic. I enjoyed it but it really wasn't much more than outstanding special effects, which are nice, but to me do not make it a BP.
wow, Lupita ( best supporting) is a class act. so poised and well spoken!
I had not heard the Mia Farrow connection before. I'm not sure who I'd believe... woody allen or farrow. probably neither. what a strange and twisted situation.
I liked House of Cards too. Kevin Spacey is a favorite.... it has a nice dark nasty cynical feeling to it.

Good morning,

Late night last night, so I slept in until 4:40! Another cold and gloomy day...It's 1 degree....is it spring yet? So tired of this...like everyone else.

Valerie, like Garance mentioned..I would start Good Wife right from the beginning, even the pilot is on Amazon Prime video...you are lucky that you can leave your kitty at home. Most of the planning for any trip we take is arranging for pet care, for both dogs and the bird...

Garance, I think I will go with Good Wife...or is it "The Good Wife"?...lucky you dodged that cold from your DH...and the snowstorm too! House of Cards is a series, correct? I assume not on Amazon Prime, will have to check...

Hi Josie, Judy & Lori,

Work, then home to keep warm. That's about all you can do around here.

Hi Ladies,

I did not get sick :). It must have been allergies, but I still took the day off and felt better yesterday so I went spinning. Today is a body pump day.

Valerie, what part of CA are you going to?

Lori, I could never do a morning and an evening workout. I can only do two workouts one after the other.

Judy, thinking of you and your DH. Hope Echo is comfortable.

Garance, the rain did not affect us at all. There are no hill around us. What do you wear now that you are retired? I miss wearing my suits and heels :(

Hi to Deb!

Josie

This morning I did Jazzercise Hiit (47 min.). Great music on this one. I enjoyed it.

Deb, it definitely is THE Good Wife. House of Cards was a series actually created by Netflix. Like Alpha House was created by Amazon. I actually think Alpha House is closer to the truth about our politicians in Washington--clowns rather than seething plotters like Kevin Spacey and his wife in House of Cards.

Valerie, there's a bit of a surprise at the end of Blue Jasmine that underscores Jasmine's hypocrisy and reveals her desire for petty revenge that brings down everyone, but especially her husband and stepson. This felt to me like Allen taking down Farrow. Nothing to do with the recent allegations about child abuse.

Well, I have two early morning doctor's appointments, so I will not be exercising the next two days. Another vein closure and next day follow up.

I'm still here. my leg is still sore though better. it's some kind of strain that seems unrelated to the calf tear which disappeared and never returned. Went to yoga this morning. maybe elliptical and upper body workout later. now we are thinking about weekend departure.... works best anyway. to go south we need to drive thru the entire everett/seattle/tacoma metro area on the jammed up freeway. no other way. on a weekday it can be awful. weekends are way better.
Josie, we wanted to go to a new park called Pinnacles. stop in Fresno to visit family. we originally planned to go to Mohave/death valley but probably not this trip unless something else doesn't work out. we wanted to visit the northern CA redwood parks.. mt biking and hiking. it has been pretty wet. there's another mt bike area we want to visit but I can't remember the name... a little north and east of SF. mostly haven't gone anywhere for a while and need a change of scenery.

Speaking of allergies... it was fairly dry a few days ago. we kept seeing light clouds of particles as the wind blew. thought it was smoke. then I saw a hummingbird take off from a branch and leave what looked like a puff of smoke behind him... it's cedar pollen! some years it's very abundant. things are budding out and coming up, buds swelling. it's wet but not that cold.....spring is here. sorry you( except Josie) are all still cold and buried in snow.

Deb, that's a benefit with a kitty. it's easier on everyone to leave them home. as long as they're not destructive.

I will take a look at Alpha House for the queue. I like political story lines. blue jasmine is on the queue and never got into much of a wait. it's not predictable what will be popular and wait listed, and what will be easy to order.

Good evening ladies!

Yesterday was a rest day and it felt great. This morning was Ruthless Lunatic Intervals and tonight was p90x Total Synergistics.

You ladies crack me up...you guys are my inspiration to work out!!!! You all keep me so motivated. Love belonging to this group. :)

My dh, ds and ds's girlfriend watched 12 years a slave. I had read the book plus saw movie in the theater. When it was over we knew this would win the oscar and I am glad it did.

Valerie...like you I loved Ellen. I could watch her host year after year. Hope your leg is feeling better for your trip. There are times I strain a muscle and have no clue as to how it happened.

Lynda...Jazzercise sounds like it would be fun. Sorry that your have to go through another vein closure. Do you have many more or is this it? Or is this something that reappears? Seems like you have had a few since I have been on these forums.

Josie...great that you did not get sick. I was starting with a cold then it just went away which thrilled me. So many people have been really set back with a nasty cold in my office. I feel my double workouts really energize me so as long as I can do them I am going to keep on them. Some mornings I do wake up and know immedialty a workout is not going to happen though. ;)

Deb....Wow 4:40 is considered sleeping in! What time do you get up? I know it is early but forgot how early. I love working out in the morning but will not get up before 5am to do so. I draw the line here!

Judy...thinking of you and Echo.

Good morning,

Today I did KCM Weights, premix with active core rests. 30 minutes.

Josie, glad you were able to avoid getting sick. Maybe your body was telling you that you needed a day off.

Garance, good luck with the procedure..I started watching Alpha House and could not get through the first episode...I agree with you...a bunch of clowns...I think it just emphasized how ridiculous Washington is, and to me it wasn't very funny, like it was supposed to be.

Valerie, Good move to delay your trip until the weekend when traffic isn't so crazy. I hope your leg is better soon. Maybe the trip will be too much for it?

Lori, thanks for mentioning that you read the book, Twelve Years a Slave...I may put that in as a library request...I get up at 4:00, sometimes a little earlier to do a workout. I usually wake up without the alarm which is set for 4:00 am...that's why it was strange for me to wake up at 4:40 yesterday.

Judy, I hope things are going ok..

Work, then home to crash....stay warm!

Hi Everyone,

We are still hanging in there. I'll post more later, but I just wanted to let you know Echo is still here and fighting and I appreciate your thoughts.

Judy

It is so wet right now... rain and more rain... payback for a relatively dry Dec and Jan. It messes up traffic badly.... bad even when it's dry. I did 15 on the elliptical, flex train bi's, tris, core 1 plus am yoga. I must have tendonitis related to walking a little funny to favor the calf muscle. a little better again today but still not right. will step up the NSAIDS which usually help a lot but I don't like to take all the time.

Lynda, hope you leg procedure went well. I hope you're getting close to done! I tried looking for Alpha House but the only thing on Netflix was House of Cards. It might not seem funny if the reality of Washington is even more ridiculous than what the series shows. we still have a couple seasons of 6 feet under. seems to be veering off into some strange stuff, so not sure how long we'll continue. not quitting yet.
Lori, I am so-so on Ellen and her regular TV show. it's on 4-5 when I often work out. she had the right touch for the Oscars. I don't always get the jokes but I don't keep up with a lot of the entertainment world happenings. after the last 2 years, they needed someone light & funny, not abrasive.
I had "12 yrs" listed as available in april on Netflix. then the wait will be forever. I wanted to see it in the theater but it hasn't been here for a while. I might buy this one if it shows up at Costco.

Did the vein closure this morning. I thought I was done with this too, since I had 2 on each leg done--saphenous veins that extend from the groin all the way down. But this vein is a lower saphenous vein in my right calf that is still backing up creating varicosities. DH must drive me for this because I am on a couple tranquilizers. The procedure itself is really not painful at all--or at least it hasn't been for me. Anyway, I will go back tomorrow to make sure it is closed, and then wait 8 weeks to see if the other smaller veins have improved. I still think I need another bout of sclerotherapy on my left leg, but both of my legs are vastly improved in appearance.

Valerie, Alpha House is an Amazon series, so I doubt it would ever be on Netflix. You can either buy it or if you have Amazon Prime, watch it for free. It was written by Jonathan Alter and is something of a satire.

Deb, I noticed that the first season of the Americans is now on Amazon prime for free. I watched a couple episodes and will probably watch them all--really good. Warning: a lot of sex, but also a lot of intrigue.

Lori, one of the things I really liked about 12 Years a Slave is that the dialogue is in sync with the book. The screenwriter won for his adaptation and he said that these were Solomon Northrup's words. I liked Ellen too, but my absolute favorite is Billy Crystal. He was so creative with his sendups of the films. If you have HBO, there is a series called True Detective with Matthew McConaughy and Woody Harrelson that is absolutely riveting. You can watch the episodes on HBO on Demand. I watch them twice because there is so much going on and the writers have a little commentary at the end.

Josie, most of the time, I wear tights, boots, what DH calls my "flirty skirts" (Boden calls them wool skater skirts), and a turtleneck layer under one of my sweaters, most of which are my knitting. I still wear some of my jackets if I am going out to lunch with friends, and I always dress up when DH and I go out to dinner. I know what you mean, though, because I would often dress up a little if I had a big lecture to do.

Judy, did the cat specialist have any helpful advice for Echo? Hope she's a tough little critter who wants to fight now that she has someone to love her.

Hi Ladies,

Went spinning this morning. I did not feel like going, but I had to dragged my butt to the gym and it turned out to be a great workout :). Tomorrow will be body pump at 6:45 AM.

Garance, I love pencil skirts and have them in different lengths and colors, so I have been pairing them up with different sweaters or loose colorful tops and flats. I also dress up when we go out to dinner. I refuse to live in yoga pants ;)

Judy, glad Echo is still with you.

Deb, 4:00AM is crazy! I thought getting up at 5:45 was bad.

Valerie, traffic gets so bad here when it rains. People are just crazy!

Hi to Lori!

Josie

Good morning,

I did Walk Fit on the treadmill this morning.

Judy, thinking about little Echo and hoping she is comfortable. We know she is happy, and she knows she is loved.

Valerie, I don't think you would like Alpha House...it's kind of goofy. Like Lynda said, more of a satire of how Congress people live in DC.

Lynda, did you watch the pilots first for The Americans? I took a look at it on Prime...didn't start yet..

Josie, I would probably work out at around 6:30 or 7:00 if I was retired and home! Can't wait for that day. How is your DD doing with the new job?

Lori, I did request Twelve Years a Slave from the library. I asked for the e-book so it will be here quicker.

Nothing much going on here, just work, home, work, home, with a dog class thrown in every once in a while.

Take care,

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.