Pentagenarians & Beyond! W/B 3/14

fox2star

Cathlete
Good Morning,

Today I did the legs from S&H Legs & Shoulders. I forgot how tough this one is. It has been raining here non-stop for 2 days and I am sick of it. :mad:. Just atarted a nice lentil soup in the crock pot, DH will be making meatloaf for dinner. I am going to use the Cauliflower Mashed potato recipe that is popular in the South Beach diet for potatoes, since the diet program I am doing limits any white potatoes.

Garance, I think I will stick to my BFL rotation for now, since I only did 3 weeks of it and a couple were pretty sparce. I did the Legs from S&H because we need to take down my weight bench that has the leg curl and leg extension on it, for the remodel, so I am switching out my BFL leg workout to S&H. I am sure you are enjoying the visit with your DS. How did the menus turn out?

Hi to Valerie, Josie, Cathy & Joan...

Hi Deb and any later posters--

I did SH legs and shoulders this morning (60 min.). I have simply forgotten how much I don't like this kind of leg work. But I do intend to stick to it for a few weeks. I like the shoulder work on this because I really feel it.

Deb, it's been just plain old ugly here this weekend--windy and very rainy, and up at our elevation, slushy and grainy sludge. DS was just as happy to stay in and watch HBO or basketball and do some work on his laptop. He also did some PT homework for his leg. The pork cutlets saltimbocca were excellent last night, served on top of braised spinach with garlic and linguine tossed with parmesan and sun-dried tomatoes. DH and I will have leftovers tonight. DS is headed back to Boston, but loaded down with various cuts of meat and some pesto from last summer. Very appreciative.

I don't know about everyone else, but I had real trouble getting up this morning. I don't like daylight savings in the spring when we lose an hour. AGH!

Monday

Good Morning,

I did CC #7 this morning, 259 calories, 35 minutes. A tough one especially after doing S&H legs yesterday. My legs felt like lead. I now know that it is lunges that do things to my knees.., well no more! My right knee finally got back to normal after months of strange pain, and now today my left knee is starting to do the same thing...yep, lunges yesterday..:(. I will have to sub something else for them in my next leg workout.

Garance, we had the same weather that you had, rainy, windy, and just plain dreary. I too, missed that hour of time, not necessarily sleep, just the hour less we had of the weekend. Glad your DS is doing well.

Joan, how are you doing?

Josie, did you get any bike time in this weekend?

Cathy, were the grandkids there riding?

Valerie, are you back yet?

Take care,

Hi Ladies,

I got my ride in on Saturday, we did 43 miles and I loved it. I did have to go back to the bike store for a gel seat. I needed extra padding during the last 15 miles. I woke up 3 pounds lighter on Sunday. I went spinning on Sunday for 1 hour only.

I will be going to a Clipper game tonight to The Staple Center. I have not been to a basketball game in years and I will probably gain the 3 pounds that I lost during the weekend. A co-worker gave me the tickets.

Garace, your menu for the weekend sounds delicious. I'm glad your DS is doing well.

Cathy, how was the weekend with the kids?

Joan, come up for air and let us know how you are.

Deb, our weather was very nice over the weekend and we are expected to have good weather for the next 2 weeks. Next Saturday's ride is 60 miles.

Hi to Valerie!

Hi Deb, Josie, Joan, Cathy, and Valerie--

This morning I did Amy Bento's Cardio Kickbox surge, the no-surges premix (62 min.).

Deb, I had doms in my legs from SH, too, so maybe this is a little change I needed. On the other hand, I don't want to bulk up. We'll see. Maybe I will do Cardio Barre this week as well.

Wow, Josie, I am totally in awe of you! 43 miles on a bike--Yikes! Have fun at the basketball game. I am looking forward to watching a bit of March madness on our big screen TVs.

Cathy, it sounds like you have a bunch of idiots on your Texas state school board. They refused to include more history in their textbooks on Hispanics in Texas???!!! They don't want to include Thomas Jefferson as one of the founding fathers???!! Scary and shameful.

How is it going, Joan? Is the end in sight?

How was the vacation, Valerie?

actually, i get the grandkids tomorrow thru friday. whew!! hope i survive.:) i plan on taking the rest of the week off, well, off as far as working out. don't think i'm gonna be off much.

anyway, today i did the lower body of body sculpt and then 30m of super cardio. gonna try to get a workout in tomorrow before everyone gets here, but not sure. so, i will not be around for a few days, most likely.
ya'll have a great week.

Tuesday

Good Morning,

Today I did the BFL Upper body workout, 215 calories.

Anyone have any plans for Easter? I invited my family for brunch but am still waiting for them to decide..:rolleyes:. Kind of makes me think they are waiting for a better offer or something..

Garance, I have DOMS too. That leg workout is a killer. I don't think you will bulk up from doing this once a week, just don't go real heavy. If you add one of the other types of leg workouts it will even itself out..:D.

Josie, Awesome Job on the bike ride!! were you sore the next day? LOL about the gel seat.

Cathy, there should be a workout called GrandmaMax.

Joan, how are things going?

Valerie, tell us about the trip...

Cold here again, low thirties, when will it ever be spring?

Take care,

This morning I did SH Chest and Back, followed by planks (60 min.). Phew! I was actually going heavier than Cathe with my barbell instead of dumbbells for the chest presses. I feel totally burned out.

No plans yet for Easter. I'm just waiting for this week to be over and then I will have two weeks off for spring break. Grading exams and papers, then gearing up for the second half of the semester.

It's beautiful today--sunny and in the 50s.

Big teaching afternoon again. Samuel Johnson, Boswell, and Plath's bee poems.

Hi all.. back from vacation. Things were Ok, not great and we came back early. we drove to Yellowstone, a day and a half. did a hike late day at the park we stayed mid-way. we spent 3 days in Yellowstone, did a ski, short hikes. too snowy for bikes although we brought them. Saw the usual critters .... bighorns, pronghorns, bison, elk, deer, coyotes and heard wolves. It was quite wintery. the last day it was supposed to get to single digits so we headed west. risky to keep water in a camper when it's that cold and it's not that simple to drain out every drop. we were too early this year. too late to ski much, and too early to hike much. every year is different. we also planned to check out a couple other parks in southeast washington/idaho area.
It was still quite wintery there too but we did get in a couple hikes with loads of cool animal tracks to look at and no people at all. but same issue... not enough snow to ski much, and too much to bike. Hiked what was there, but not big enough to keep us entertained. we had a bad weather forecast so we headed home early and spent the really wet day cleaning things up and then did some good bike rides around here. DH is transitioning to part time status which will be a huge change for us, and the next few weeks we'll be getting used to it. So, a pleasant break overall but much better later in march when spring is more spring-like.
we bought a truck camper last fall and didn't get too much chance to use it but it's so much nicer than what we had. easier to drive, easier to sleep and cook in, and all around about 2000% inprovement. Wish we'd done it years ago. It's a truck camper, not a giant motorhome but we had a previous pop up camper which is closer to a tent. It worked for us for years but this is so much nicer, especially when conditions aren't perfect.

I didn't real last week's thread yet so I'm not current on what everyone is up to yet. Rode bikes the last two days so today back to the treadmill and some weights. I may do a light day before starting Meso 3.

Wednesday

Good Morning all,

Today I did a 35 minute I-Tread plus the abs from Fit To Dance. I like that ab secion a lot. Very different and you feel it but it is not killer.

We had a beautiful day yesterday, finally. It was sunny and got up to almost 60!! :D. What a differnce it makes in how you feel.

Garance, S&H really gets in there and wipes you out, I like it a lot.

Valerie, sounds like you had a pretty good trip. You spent the whole time in a camper? No hotel? Not one night? Can you tell I am not a camping person? LOL..:). Those hikes and other activities sound like a great way to work out while on vacation.

Hi to Cathy, Josie & Joan!

Take care,

Good morning,

Mother's surgery yesterday was delayed for 2 hours.:mad: I don't see how they can tell someone not to eat after midnight, schedule surgery for 1:00-1:30 and then not take her in until 3:30. We got home at 6:00pm.
It looks terrible but everything went well. We have a followup appt at noon. Tomorrow is the first PT appt about her legs.

I'm happy to see everyone else is still exercising.

Joan

Hi Ladies,

I took a day off yesterday. I woke up and made a pot of coffee went back to bed watched some of the morning shows and them got up and worked out. My DD and I went to Target and had lunch before she went to work. It was 87 degrees here in LA, it is crazy! It will be the same today.

I will be spinning tonight. I found a new place to spin where they have a new bike that simulates riding outdoors. Check it out at realryder.com.

Valerie, welcome back!

Joan, I'm glad everything went well with the surgery.

Garance and Deb, I have no plans for Easter. I will be driving my grandkids back home on Easter Sunday. I will have them here from the 28th through the 4th.

Have to get back to work. Have a great day and hi to Cathy.

Josie

Yep, it was great... no hotels, no restaurants. we had a take/bake pizza the first night, the long drive day, that was the only flop. It was a margherita pizza? and neither of us liked it at all. blech. I've read a million times about how good this kind of pizza is but a flop for us. Usually we get a vegie pizza and I missed having it. reheats well,tastes so good, and with a green salad is an easy tasty dinner.
I'm still experimenting with food. we usually have a large green salad and some kind main that isn't too stinky. we sleep in the same "room" so loads of onion and garlic might hang around too long! We keep it simple with cereal/fruit for breakfast, cheese/crackers/bread or soup for lunch so only one meal to cook. Our camper has a large frig and freezer so the possibilities are endless but some odors are hard to live with, and I don't want a bunch of dishwashing.

We got a reasonable amount of exercise but the driving days are totally sedentary so it feels so good to get out and finally move.

Did a treadmill warm up and then repeated disk 22 yesterday. just felt I needed a warm up before diving into meso 3. I printed the first 3 workouts and the plyo legs sound intimidating. I dont' have a squat rack so I'll see how it goes but I'm not much of a jumper.

Joan , I missed what kind of surgery your mother needed to have. It's best to schedule surgery early so you don't need to go so long without eat/drink but someone always ends up with the afternoon appts. Not ideal... everyone can't be done at 6:30 am although that would be nice! it's harder on everyone, and the longer the day goes on the bigger chance for something to cause delays that set you back further.

This morning I did Petra Kolber's Bootcamp Boogie (62 min.).

It was so beautiful yesterday and today is a repeat. Now I feel like spring has arrived, but I'm trying not to get tooooo happy, because we could get hit again.

Deb, I agree on SH. My chest is sore today. Tomorrow is bis and tris. I'm not much of a camper either. I like a comfy bed and all the amenities supplied by a good hotel.

Valerie, we have quite a bit of wildlife around here--coyotes, bears, hawks, owls, fox, deer, beavers, and the occasional moose. A lot of tracks back on our land. I won't mention bunnies and groundhogs because they seem more tame than wild.

The college is offering an early retirement plan that looks pretty good. I just may do it. If I do, it means only three more semesters of teaching, two years of regular pay and one year of 125% of salary. A life after grading looks increasingly good to me.

Joan, that is really awful for your mom. I would think surgery would follow a more rigorous schedule.

Hi to Josie and Cathy!

The surgery was just tightening the lower eyelid because it had drooped. You could see the red blood vessels of the inner eyelid. Besides looking bad it got infected and would allow eye to be more easily scratched. He did all of the cataract (sp) surgeries first and the simpler eyelids later. I would just have appreciated a phone call that they were running late and come in an hour later. She still couldn't have eaten but she was hooked to an iv and the room was freezing. I still like the doctor. He called at 9pm to check on her and said we could come in today at either 8am or 12:30 during his lunch hour so we wouldn't have to wait.

It is beautiful here today.

Joan

Thursday

Good morning,

No workout this morning, bad night for sleeping. :confused: At least the weather will be nice today and supposedly throughout the weekend.

Joan, glad your Mom is doing well. I know what you mean about having you come in early for surgery. When John had his surgery, we had to be there by noon, he did not go up to surgery until 4:30...and he had not eaten for almost 24 hours at that point.

Josie, that's great that there are actual spining bikes that simulate outside riding.

Valerie, well at least you have a refrigerator and stove so that is pretty nice, no campfire to contend with! My grandparents had a little cab type thing that wene on the back of their pickup truck, that was my favorite place to play when I stayed with them...just like a little doll house with a tiny stove and refrigerator, I used to play house in there for hours.

Garance, LOL...I see us having a great time camping at the Ritz! As for the retirement offer, TAKE IT!! After those first 3 years, I assume there is a regular type of retirement?

Hi to Cathy,

Take care,

I have to admit, our camper isn't "roughing it". It is really comfortable. we had a pop up camper before, a glorified tent. it was fine for good weather but not bad weather . only one person at a time could stand up and the frig was either not cold enough or else it froze everything. the truck was not up to carrying it and when the transmission went out last spring ( third time)we knew we had to upgrade. the new one is airtight enough so we can stand it when campground smoke gets overwhelming. we don't do fires. It's the one thing I hate about camping, the unbreathable air. we stay outside of formal campgrounds if we can. the frig/freezer works great and makes it SO much easier to carry supplies.
It takes planning... need food, gear, etc so you have what you need when you get to "wherever". I plan a weeks worth of meals so anything we need is minor, since stores are usually a long drive and often don't have much "real" food.

yesterday turned into a no exercise day. raining in the morning so DH decided he should set up his new computer for work. Why is that always a hair puller? Everything was fine til he tried to print. prints fine outside the work program. it's a brand new multifunction. so some IT guys are trying to figure out why it won't print from the work program he has to use. Chewed up half the day and as of this mornign still won't print, just spits out blank paper. so that continues today. UGH.

I agree, I hate the way surgeries get scheduled. It's worth it if you're flexible on which day to go, to schedule early. small issues get compounded as the day progresses and I hate being nervous, hungry, and waiting. I assume surgical teams get more fatigued as the day goes on too.

This morning I did SH bis, tris, and abs (60 min.). I think this is better than meso 3 on STS--or at least I am really feeling it, and I love the 1 minute rests on these tapes while I get impatient with the longer rests on meso 3.

Just plain too beautiful here--sunny and in the 60s yesterday and today.

Made corned beef and cabbage, potatoes, and carrots for St. Patrick's day yesterday. Yummy. I made a creamy sauce with chives as gravy.

Valerie, that's what I call camping! I have often thought it would be fun to rent an RV and do some travel like that. The older I get, the less I like air travel, which has turned into a major hassle for everybody, I think. Hope your computer problems go away. My students constantly blame their computers for late papers, lost papers, crashing, etc.

Deb, I am pretty resolved on doing this retirement thing because I probably would have retired only a year after this plan, and I get paid for a whole year at 125%--the year that would have been my final year teaching. Essentially, instead of working for 3 years, I will be working for 18 mos, but I get paid for all three and then some. Emeritus land here I come!

Joan, I hope your mom is doing well with the surgery. Are you still wildly stressed with tax returns?

Josie, I'm not ready for 87 degrees, but I am looking forward to some warm weather. Last year it went up into the 90s briefly in April and then we did not get any temps over 82 for the whole summer. It was weird. I will check out your bike.

Yoohoo, Cathy!

Hi Ladies,

My legs were fried last night while doing my spinning. That was because I did ME on Tuesday. I will be taking the spinning class tonight with the new bike.

Joan, I'm glad your DM is doing better.

Deb and Garance, I will also join you at the Ritz. It is realy going to be an experience when I do the ride, because we camp out every night for 7 days. Thank God for short hair!

Valerie, one of my DB loves to camp and his DW and 3 DD's love to camp and do it as soon as the girls get out of school.

Hi Cathy!

Josie

Josie, what kind of conditions will you be camping in? a week is a long time for a first time. the first time I went camping I hated it more than anything. it was AWFUL. Hot, humid, buggy, itchy wool blankets, sunburn, mosquitos and the boy ( this was a LONG time ago) I went with was just as stupid as I was. But I learned how, when, and where to do it and be comfortable, although the first outing ... I was maybe 20... was memorably terrible. we did every possible thing wrong.

In my previous life I traveled a lot for business and I can't imagine dealing with the current over full planes and security issues regularly.... but I guess (like camping) you deal with it by asking questions and doing what you need to do to manage things. I got really really sick of motels and road food.

Garance, it's a truck camper, fits in the bed of a pickup, with an extension over the truck cab. Most RV's are too big. This is agile ( for forest service roads) and big enough for two, but a larger family would be crowded. Wow, moose? We've not seen moose for a while. they have some in yellowstone and we saw one while skiing a couple years ago, and several while bakcpacking in Montana. They look a lot bigger than you think they will when you're walking on a trail and suddenly, there they are. we saw loads of moose in colorado which I didn't expect. It's true of most wild animals, doesn't seem like any great shakes when you're in a vehicle but on a trail on foot, and it feels totally different. especially bears and wolves. I'm OK with black bears but grizzlies still get the heart rate right up there!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.