Cathe Friedrich Forums

Want our Forums on the go?
Get Cathe’s forum on your mobile device.

Go Back   The Cathe Nation > Cathe Friedrich Fitness Forums > Check-ins & Challenges

Check-ins & Challenges We've created this brand new forums to post all of your Cathe and fitness related check-ins and challenges

Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 2/3

This is a discussion on Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 2/3 within the Check-ins & Challenges forums, part of the Cathe Friedrich Fitness Forums category;; Good morning, I did not have a good night, and the dog's are not to blame. Valerie, welcome back! sad ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2013, 04:38 AM
Cathlete

Good morning,

I did not have a good night, and the dog's are not to blame.

Valerie, welcome back! sad about the wolves...I can understand the rationalization of some hunting, but in the end, I really had to see any animal hunted. Wasn't "Ermine" popular a long time ago for fur collars and coats? Not so much now probably...

Garance, thanks again for the link. I will read it later..

Josie, good job on the weight loss! Have you changed your eating along with the new exercise series? Coffee...a girl after my own heart.

Valerie, Chester is one lucky dog to have you!

I can't wait until this work day is over.

Take care,
Old 02-05-2013, 07:14 AM
Cathlete

I don't know if anyone uses "real" fur anymore. ermine are so tiny I can't believe it would be worth the effort but people tend to be pretty ruthless that way. I remember when aunts used to wear fur... marten I think. sort of "decorative" things over their shoulders with all these little animal heads, tails and legs, dangling and swinging. they are such a treat to see in the wild, I don't understand how they could be worn and considered "fashionable". and of course, mink as in stoles and coats. at least the mink were ranched raised. it has always seemed awful to see people wearing all the little bodies of dead animals that were trapped. just to look fancy not even necessary to stay warm. fox, beaver, and probably ermine were all used but I don't think it's done much anymore. I'm not a radical about this and have leather shoes and purses. somehow... it seems less awful to raise animals for a purpose and kill them humanely to use their parts.

We did a regular street ride yesterday, 25 miles. we debated about whether we would or not and then the sun came out a little and off we went. very springlike, birds singing, flowers blooming, frogs croaking. really nice.
we got out kayak before we left on our vacation and put it together yesterday for the first time. It took us a while but I can see how we will be more efficient each time we do it. it breaks down into 2 bags so we can pack it with us when we travel.

We are providing medical support as best we can. more people there would not help any. she is doing so poorly we think something else is going on that was missed, possibly another tumor location. it's not any one's "fault" ... she had a large colon cancer that was removed less than 2 years ago too, but the bladder cancer is unrelated. she's disintegrating pretty quickly and does not enjoy anything anymore. for her sake I hope this is quick. I really liked my MIL a lot.

Josie, DH is really hooked on clipless pedals/shoes while I did NOT like either. the shoes are stiff and blister my toes. If you would like them I'd send them to you. they are european sizing the equivalent to about a size 7-7.5. they are a little big on me. I wore them a few times. I forget the brand but I can look if that might work for you.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:49 AM
Cathlete
labnick's Profile Fields

Good morning ladies!

Brrrr still cold here in NE! This morning was to be Cardio Leg Blast but I decided not to do this. My left Trap Muscle was really sore this morning. Not sure if it was from doing Burn Sets the night before or that I just slept funny. Either way I decided against any routine that had weights in it. When I was younger I did not pay attention to my muscles and ended up with partial bicep tears. Needless to say I am smarter now. I decided to swap with Thursdays routine and do Tabatacise for the first time. I really enjoyed it and boy what a sweat fest! Very high impact but this is what I love. I was thrilled to have completed all 5 but at the same time was really glad it was over. If there was a 6th not sure if I would have been able to continue!

I'll check in later today to see how you all are doing!

Lori
Old 02-05-2013, 10:37 AM
Cathlete

Hi Ladies,

Both yappers (sp) are in today. I may need to take some aspiring so that I can avoid the headache. I did the recovery DVD again today.

Deb, I love coffee, but I can only have it in the morning, otherwise I can not sleep at night. I used to be able to drink it at any time before menopause, but not it just bothers me. I also became lactose intolerant. I am watching what I eat and only splurge on Friday’ and only at dinner.

Valerie, I would love to have the shoes. I wear a 7-7.5 also. I don’t care what brand they are.

Hi to Garance, Lori and Joan!

Josie
Old 02-05-2013, 11:23 AM
Cathlete

Hi Deb, Josie, Valerie, and Lori--

This morning I did Bis and Tris (45:34).

I love faux fur! I have a faux leopard coat and a faux silver fox coat and they are superwarm and cosy. I always get a lot of compliments on them too. I can't imagine wearing real fur, though.

Poor Josie! Does anyone higher up or in HR know that the principal reason for retirement in your case is the co-worker issue? It just sounds nutsy to me. Same with me on coffee. Before menopause I could drink coffee all day and always had a cup with dinner. Now I have one big cup in the morning and that's it. If I drink coffee later in the afternoon, I cannot sleep to save my life.

Lori, it's still wintry here as well, and they are now tracking some godawful storm for Friday. I hope it stays east of us and just heads out to sea. Glad you like Tabatacise. Not for me. I will either do Cardio Supersets or Afterburn tomorrow as sub.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:07 PM
Cathlete

Josie, they're yours! PM me your address. UPS or post office? all I want is reimburse me for shipping, shoes are free. I've been trying to give them away for a year and everyone I know needed larger. If they don't work for you for any reason, feel free to pass them on to anyone who can use them.

add me to the "no coffee' list. I have a little "real stuff" for breakfast. if we're hiking or biking early with big energy burn I might have a little more like half a starbucks double shot but not after noon. I need to be careful with tea, soda, and chocolate. DH does too, not for sleep issues but caffeine is a migraine trigger for him. a little is OK, a little too much and whammo, a bad headache for 3 days. I even use decaf instant when I make ice cream. Luckily, I can still handle lactose since I'm a major dairy lover. would kill me to give up milk though I knwo there are plenty of decent substitutes these days.

I like fake fur too, and no one has to be killed for it! I'd rather see the little critters wearing their own coats!

Lori, that is what I'd do too with the shoulder. I haven't looked at Tabaticize but it sounds like I may be skipping this one too. I'll look and decide soon. I hurt something in my shoulder a couple years ago now, and tried to keep plugging along. it bothered me for a year! If I'd let it rest and heal, I would not have had to lay off for so long. If I feel anything not right, I rest that part for a few days and then go back lighter and carefully. This has paid off, no injuries in a long time.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:14 PM
Cathlete

hey,

Count me in on the NO (real) FUR crowd...however I am not so crazy about it to openly harass those that wear it...like some PITA people would be...

...and oh, those tiny animals that "old ladies" used to wear? they were awful, scared me to even look at them when I was a kid...

as for coffee, I drink 50/50 blend at home in the am....then switch to decafe tea at work...
Old 02-06-2013, 04:29 AM
Cathlete

Good morning & Happy Hump Day!

I did a shorter pre-mix ( second half) from Supercuts this morning. Surprised at the low calorie burn when I was huffin' and puffin' through it. I put the DVD on "slow" mode for that sit up/push up segment, and still only did 5 sets.

Garance, I sure hope we don't get any snow this weekend...I am flying on Sunday and flying in freezing weather makes me nervous.

Josie, does decafe coffee bother you too? I usually switch to decafe tea in the afternoon and it seems to be ok. Not sure what happened the other night. Are you marking down the days on your calendar? I am wafffling a bit on retiring this year. I had July 1 as a date in my mind, but not sure yet.

Valerie, I sure hope your MIL does not suffer too much...maybe time to look into Hospice care?

Lori, Good job on Tabatasize...I'm with Garance, may have to sell it on Ebay.

Agility class tonight, so a late one for me...

Stay warm!
Old 02-06-2013, 10:45 AM
Cathlete

Hi Deb, Josie, Valerie, and Lori--

This morning I did Afterburn (54 min.). Sold Tabatacise!

Deb, I watched Downton Abbey last night. I don't really understand the Bates story in jail. I hope Edith turns into a feminist journalist. I think even decaf coffee has some caffeine in it. My problem is that I don't particularly like the taste of decaf, so why bother with it.

Lori, I wish this storm would go away. One tracking has 16 inches for us in western MA. Ugh! DH says this is just more fearcasting from the weathermen who seem to love to give us the worst case scenarios.

Spending part of this afternoon with our insurance agent. We really need more insurance on our house, barns, contents of the house. Problem: I hate getting insurance for something that is rather unlikely to happen.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:52 AM
Cathlete
labnick's Profile Fields

Good morning ladies!

Slept in this morning. Body needed it. Shoulder is feeling good so I plan on Bis and Tris this evening.

I love Faux fir too. Funny about the old ladies Deb with the dead animails. I felt the same thing when I was young. My grandmother would scare me to death with her coat! Good job too on the sit up/pushups. I barely did 6 when I did the workout when I first got the series and have not done it since. It will be interesting to see how I do on Saturday with it.

Garance...we are expecting lot's of snow in my area on Friday into Saturday. Right now they are predicting 13 to 15 inches! I may not be doing Super Cuts on saturday after we do all the shoveling!