Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 2/14 ♥♥♥

fox2star

Cathlete
Good Morning and Happy Valentines Day! ♥♥♥♥

I was on my way to work out and got to the top of the basement stairs, smelled some funky smell, After investiging, I found that our sewer had backed up, ewwww....had to call a sewer service and I am waiting for them now...ugh. This has only happened 3 times in the 25 years we have been here so I guess it's not bad. John keeps forgetting to put the stuff down the sewer that is supposed to prevent this....I am just as much at fault because I forget to remind him. :rolleyes:

We went out for Chinese food last night and it was nice to actually have it made fresh and delivered to a table. We have fallen into using those strip mall take out places for Chinese food and forgot how good it can taste in an actual restaurant.

Garance, thanks for the prayers and well wishes. Where did you end up going for dinner? How was the Manhatten?

Joan, thank you. I see you were up late again, how many more returns do you have? I am sure you will still be getting more new ones in, it's still early. We have not given ours to our accountant yet. We have the business and John is the treasurer for our dog club so he gives the club's return to our accountant too.

Hi to Josie, Cathy & Valerie....♥♥♥

Hi ladies,

We went to Dairy Queen. I didn't have any food planned and we are celebrating next week. It was nice and quick. I still had lots of work to do. I did get a dozen roses.

I now have 134 returns in with 35 to do.

Hi Deb, Joan, and any later posters--

This morning I did P-57, the 57 min. groan-a-thon. This one never gets any easier and I have not done it for awhile so I wonder if I will get doms.

Deb, we had some problems with our septic system awhile back and had to call someone to take care of it (i.e., suck it out). DH now checks it every 6 months. Not a fun thing. On a less gruesome note: we went to Gramercy Bistro and I had a crab cake appetizer and duck breast entree. Both were really yummy. DH had pork belly appetizer, filet mignon, and apple strudel with ice cream for dessert. It's a great little restaurant in North Adams. I had my usual Manhattan cocktail and it was perfect. I'm making a couple of Chinese dishes this week--chicken with walnuts and szechuan pork shreds. I have several Chinese cookbooks and love good Chinese food, which is virtually impossible to get here in Billsville.

Anyone watching the Olympics? On our big screens the events are stupendous to watch. I love the figure skating.

Joan, the roses sound great, but Dairy Queen? I thought Dairy Queen closed in the winter---or at least it does here. I love soft-serve ice cream and try to limit myself to one every two weeks in the summer. I bought one of those soft-serve ice cream makers a couple years ago and it never worked properly--too soupy.

Garance, We never eat fast food and I limit Elliot to once a month when I'm babysitting. I think I just wanted the hot fudge sundae for my throat. I'm sticking to that story. We have reservations next Saturday at a nice restaurant. I just have too much to do and my brother has been here for two weeks so two's company and three's a crowd. He did go home today.

I found out that dil needs to go back to work in Oct to keep her position at that school. She wants me to babysit new baby ( either Luke or Lucas) and Elliot. I had though I would be off until Aug 2011.

I MUST HAVE A PLAN BY MARCH 1 TO LOSE THIS WEIGHT BEFORE SEPT 30, 2010. I haven't really been too worried about exercising or diet because I thought I had over a year. At least now I have a deadline.

Dm has gained 20lb since the first of the year and probably in the last 2 weeks. It is all in her legs from toes to hip. We took her to doctor Friday. But she hadn't weighed and we didn't realize it was worse than we thought. She was put on "water pills" on Friday but we don't notice any difference. Next week we will get elastic stockings. She thinks she remembers former doctor telling her it wasn't from needing a water pill but she isn't sure.

deb, i had carcinoma insitu years ago. had a hysterectomy. have never had any problems. i didn't do any of the radiation or anything. taking it out took care of it.

hey gals, what would be a good sub for the gym styles? don't got and ain't buying anymore w/outs.

Monday

Good morning,

It sounds like everyone had a nice V-Day weekend.

Joan, Dairy Queen is my kind of restaurant! Yum.. Ours are closed until March.

Garance, I have to admit, I don;t think I could do an hour P-57, the 30 minute one killed me, the dread factor keeps me from doing it again. Your dinner sounds lovely.

Joan, what is the March deadline for? What happens in September? Is it because you will have 2 to babysit? I have a deadline of June to lose 20 pounds....We should be able to come up with something! I hope your DM is better soon.

Cathy, thanks for the info. Hoping that it turns out the same. Did you do anything for Valentines day?

Hi to Josie & Valerie...

Take care..

Deb March start is only wishful thinking that I will have a little more time then. I start babysitting both kids Oct 1 and in the past I have exercised but not enough to lose. And yes I know it's mainly diet but I need time to plan menu. Excuses, Excuses, Escuses

Hi Deb, Josie, Joan, Cathy, and Valerie--

This morning I did Cardio Axe (30 min.) followed by 2 miles with Leslie with my 10 lb. vest on (30 min.).

Deb, the dread factor on P-57 is overturned by my results. I have lost inches in thighs and hips. I actually like the express workout because it seems to go by so fast and the abs work on the express I think is better than the longer workout.

Joan, maybe you should follow Cathy's example and try WW with the point system. It seems to be working for her (you should chime in here, Cathy). I probably should lose some weight, too, but I like cooking and eating too much. As long as I am not gaining, I will be content. Gosh, that's a lot of work to care for a baby and pre-schooler. Reminds me too much of my two sons and how much constant attention they needed when they were little. I don't think I could/would do it for a dil. I'm too selfish with my time. Maybe one day every week because I would want to spoil my grandkids, but that's about all. You're a good soul to be so generous.

Hope jury duty is short and sweet for you Josie.

Hi to Cathy and Valerie!!

I'm not sure I would like points. I'm good at counting calories when I diet, just haven't been consistent with it since Nov 08-Feb 09. That's when I lost but mindless(and stress) eating gained it all back.

Garance How often per week did you do p57 to get results? Just once in place of sts legs or twice.

I really don't want to babysit. I don't feel like I have any time to do anything fun except on vacations. It even feels a stretch to get 1 hour of exercise in during the day. BUT since my mother babysat for me and made dinner and grocery shopped and ran errands, I feel it's payback time. I'll see how it goes Oct-Dec. and then I would only have them three days a week in May. It will be the start of the school year in Aug 2010 I will have to decided what to do. At least Elliot would be in kindergarten. I feel selfish since half of her paycheck would go to daycare but I know I'm not. The doctor always says kids shouldn't go to daycare until they are 3 years old. But that would mean I'm stuck for 3 more years. I might have them pay for 2 days a week daycare and me do 3 days then. I wish it could be daycare 3 days and me 2.

No matter what I need to lose this weight. At least the 20lbs of extra "baby weight" I've had since I started babysitting. I know I can't do anything but maintain with the kids here.

Tuesday

Good morning,

No workout for me. Not a good sleeping night, the cold, John's cold and coughing, plus dogs that woke us up twice to go outside..

Joan, I don't think your DIL appreciates you enough. I would propose the 2 days only and have them use a day care for 3 days. I keep on going back and forth on joining WW on line. I also feel that I am good at counting calories, and I know what not to eat, but have no will power at times. LOL about how you gained the "baby weight" from babysitting..:D

Garance, I guess the fact that the P-57 was so difficult for me to do, that I felt I wasn't getting anything out of it kept me from sticking to it. I think I did it twice then gave up..:confused:

Hi to Josie, Cathy & Valerie.

Take care...

This morning I did BBL Sculpt (50 min.). I used 8's and 15's. The floorwork at the end is a killer, but Leandro has really taught me how to do side planks. His mermaid exercise is impossible, but I will keep trying.

There are some very good stories on getting rid of belly fat at the end of MORE (the cover has Mariska Hargitay), and the first one is about barre work like that done in P-57 and Cardio Barre. There's also a story about a woman who decided to get a tummy tuck. Very interesting.

Deb, I just prefer the barre work to squats and lunges. You should do both what works and what you find yourself drawn to. I do think it gets easier if you keep doing it.

Joan, initially I was doing all three of the P-57 workouts once a week and adding a couple miles with Leslie to the 30 min. ones. When I returned to STS, I did the Express for legs once a week to replace Cathe. The inches came off during the first cycle, but I have kept them off. High and Tight in BBL is also excellent. I can understand "payback" for your mom, but I don't see why it should be extended to your dil, especially if you feel the way you evidently do about how it screws up your desire to lose weight, exercise, and have some fun. I agree with Deb, 2 days a week is generous. I also don't recall my doctor telling me that daycare should wait until 3 yrs. Dh and I put our boys in at 9 mos. and half days and they had wonderful caretakers at our center here on campus. I could also drop in anytime and have lunch or play with them.

Well, it's a long afternoon of teaching for me. Finish the Bell Jar and then Dryden, Absalom and Achitophel.

ttfn

I want to answer a couple things from last week. Garance, I trained people on various medical laboratory equipment. some small physician office based, and others hospital based. the largest thing were tissue processors. Size of a washer/dryer combo. when a tissue sample is taken in surgery, it needs to be "processed", meaning it goes thru a series of sequential chemical baths to stop cell activity, gradually dehydate and finally imbed the sample with wax. the finished bit of tissue( dozens are processed at once) is then thinly sliced, stained and put on a slide to be examined by a pathologist for abnormalities. this process takes several days and most of it is automated... the tissue processor! I have no idea if it's done the same way these days, chances are it is but more centralized rather than having each hospital do thei own work.

there are also machines used for faster diagnosis that take small samples and freeze them almost instantly so they can be examined while the patient is still in surgery. I trained people on use of those too, as well as the staining equipment to stain the finished slides. We were the first to sell home blood glucose testing meters. they are now so simple you can buy them OTC at any pharmacy but it wasn't that in the '80's. we met individual patients and taught them how to use the meters. There were also some automated blood chemistry systems that didn't work very well. The company sold off some divisions, congress passed a law in 1988 making physician in office testing vastly more difficult, and suddenly in the early '90's terchnical trainers were out of jobs.

I got in disk 15 on saturday, yardmax on sunday, and monday we did about 3 hrs mt biking. found a better place about a 45 minute drive but with some nice terrain with up and down but not too narrow /difficult for beginners like us. It really is an incredible leg workout... if it's too steep/difficult you end up walking while pushing the bike, and that's not much less work.

Deb, hope DH does Ok. Never a comfortable diagnosis. Will he need any more scans/ screening diagnostic procedures to make sure he doesn't have anything going on anywhere else? I don't know J.S. about gall bladders or the type of tumor so I don't know if that's necessary or not. just a thought.

Joan, my neighbor is doing really well with WW on line. I think she does the point counting, but she's lost about 35 lbs and has been doing a dance program called ? "zoomba". Not having to go to actual meetings but having reinforcement on line works well for her. If you're baby sitting that much time you need to find something that will "work in" with that.
I second the "good luck" on the jury duty Josie. Hope it's at least an interesting case.

I don't have any suggestions to sub for GS... I like GS and until STS they were the only strictly weight workouts I owned. I have circuits.. like Muscle Max a lot. I have Bootcamp but haven't used it for a while. I got a pretty sore butt again from disk 14. I don't know why but that part of my anatomy does not respond to training. I keep doing things and keep getting sore. Did not get sore at all from mt biking though, and we want to either hike or mt bike on wed so today I don't want to do a leg workout today. skipped yoga today, overslept and didn't get going fast enough to get there at 7;30.
Made a chocolate French silk pie for Valentines day. It's a low fat/low cal version so not devastating calorie wise, but the caffeine in the chocolate kept me awake half the night so I finally took some meds around midnight, and then overslept. I'm very sensitive to caffeine and lead a mostly decaffeinated life these days.

Hi Ladies,

I had a nice weekend. I went on a long ride on Saturday and I'm feeling more comfortable on my rides. I walked on Sunday and went spinning yesterday. I'm here for a few hours today; I need to be at court at 1:40.

My DH and I went out on Saturday to an Italian restaurant called Mio Babbo's the food there is very good. I had the chicken suprema (white creamy sauce with mushrooms) and my DH had the veal parmesan. We went to the movies on Monday and saw The Woulfman.
Do not waist your money on this movie. I was falling asleep half ways.

Deb, I will keep you and your DH in my prayers.

Joan, don't feel guilty about babysitting your grand kids. I agree that 2 day's per week are great, you have paid your dues and your DS and DIL need to manager their own family.

Garance, my DD did the P-57 express and she was sore for 2 days, but she liked it. I have not done it yet, but will include it on my new routine starting March 1st. I will not be working out with Kevin at that point.

Cathy, I would love to wake up to snow like I used to when I lived across the border from El Paso. I miss that part of winter.

Valerie, did you get an outdoor workout this weekend?

Have a great day everyone!

Josie

blah, blah... sometimes I get pretty long winded. Josie, it rained sat and sunday but mondya was nice and we did a 3 hr mt bike session. weather is getting nice enough for more street riding too.

Deb, forgot to say, what a drudge when the septic acts up! We've never had an issue with one ( friends have, though) and have been on a couple systems. we were told they need to be pumped out about every 7 years, depending on how much it gets used, how many people in the family etc. we haven't done it that often but there are just 2 of us and the house has a tank for a bigger family.

Joan, I stay out of childcare issues cause I don't have any (by choice)... and I'd leave the country if I had to care for kids even 2 days a week. You deserve a gold medal for doing it but if it's too much time and you grow to resent the control over your life, then it's maybe time to limit the commitment. No one else will bring it up cause they are getting such a great deal! So, I will shut up about it now.

Hump Day

Good morning,

Not feeling too chatty today. I had a bad night. The internet is a wealth of scary information, I should know better.

Garance, I went on to BeachBody site yesterday to see some clips of BBL. I just know that if I buy another series, I may not do it, so I am holding off on any more new DVD's until I get more enthusiastic about working out.

Valerie, hoping that the further path testing rules out any more procedures etc. We should hear by Friday. oh, we don't have a septic tank, this is the sewer that runs from the house to the street, it has an access on our side lawn that the Rotor Rooter guy goes in with an electric snake and finds tree roots etc that have blocked it. This is only the 3rd time in 26 years that we have been in the house.

Josie, your VD dinner sounds lovely. Good job on the bike ride,

Hi to Cathy

take care...

Good morning,

Up early so want to post before client comes.

((((Deb)))) Don't look on the internet. It has more of the extremes that are unusual instead of the normal.

I just got my BBL. I thought they were mostly 30 min wo but if you follow their program you do two of them a day. That still might work if I do one in the morning and one at night.

I now have 171 tax returns logged in with 115 completed.

Joan

hey all!! sorry to be awol. kids and horses. that is my life. and sticking in a workout 5-6 times a week. just so busy. the older i get the harder it is to keep up w/everything.

deb-have you heard anything?

off to do superset pre-mix & power half hour (firm)
hope to bbl

wow, i do not know what is wrong w/me today. i am shakin' like a leaf and i have only done the 30m of SS. i feel like i'm gonna puke and i didn't go very heavy. PHH may not happen. i just downed 2 oreos , cuz i feel like i'm gonna pass out.

This morning I did Petra Kolber's Bootcamp Boogie (63 min.).

Deb, I agree with Joan. The internet is a good place for information, but wait until Friday and you get more results on John. Until then your imagination will just run wild. You absolutely should not buy DVDs at a time when you are distracted by more urgent issues. Did you watch any of the Westminster Dog show? That little Sadie just keeps winning. So cute!

Joan, you don't have to follow the BBL regimen if you don't feel like it. I just decide on an ad hoc basis which one I want to do. I think next week I will do the Bum Bum on the beach together with Bum Bum Rapido for a 45 min. workout.

Valerie, that sounds like a pretty important type of tissue analysis that you did. I have two cups of coffee per day--one in the morning and a big cappucino here at my office with lunch. Pretty strong though. I don't have any trouble with sleep anymore, now that the night sweats are GONE! I had a few years when I was constantly waking up in a lather.

How is the court case going, Josie??

Cathy, take care! It sounds like a blood sugar problem.

Hi Ladies,

The case was dismissed yesterday. I was looking forward to it, but I guess I was not a good candidate after all. The person's lawyer dismissed at least 6 of the original jurors that were on the panel. I went to my Kevin wo last night plus 30 min. of cardio, I will be spinning tonight.

I have been trying to catch up all morning. I will be back tomorrow.

Have a nice evening.

Josie

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.