Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 12/9

fox2star

Cathlete
Good morning,

Today I did the Upper Body pre-mix from High Reps. 38 minutes.

We have our dog club Christmas party later today, ( no dogs allowed;)), so I need to make an appetizer for that, wrap the 2 gifts for the gift exchange and still have a bunch of stuff on my list that I did not get to yesterday.

Valerie, yes, my bars are all the straight ones, and from older sets when they were really long. I do it with the Troy one too, which is shorter, but leave it on the high tower, set up, just slip some plates on the ends and use it for chest presses etc. I have a curl bar and you are correct, I would not do it with that one. Have fun snow shoeing!

Garance, did you see that there is a special on tonight (Public Television station) at 8:00 about Downton Abbey, a review of first 2 seasons, some cast interviews and some info on the upcoming season? I will be taping it because we will probably still be at the party.

Hi to Lori, Joan, and Josie,

Hope everyone is having a good weekend,

Ha ha, the snow is in the mountains.... not down here. we leave at 500 ft elevation, and don't often get significant snow here. this time the snow was above about 1500 feet. gets deeper the higher you go. sometimes, we get snow down low, some years worse than others. but no shoveling unless that happens and then I will complain loudly!

we got a load of gravel yesterday and started fixing our road where we got the truck stuck. we backed down hill, spreading gravel and raking as we went. did about 15-20% of the road. some won't need much, other parts are steeper and muddier & need a heavier application. were going to hire someone to do it, but one guy never called back, the second one can't even look until monday, so decided to just do it ourselves. chopped wood yesterday for my upper body workout. Dh is doing more today, and I might help later.

no parties or anything. some years there are a lot, this yr nothing. we have most of our shopping done. I've gotten down to mostly gift cards. doing 'things" got too difficult for people we don't see often. plus shipping is so expensive it doesn't make sense anymore. for us, we are strongly thinking about getting a kayak, one of the ones that comes apart and can be carried inside your vehicle. a Foldbot. we won't get it til later Jan and are waiting to see if there's a big pre christmas sale. Anyone have any kayaking experience??

Hi Deb, Josie, Valerie, and Lori--

This morning I did KCM's Cardio Quick Fix + bonus abs and butt (55 min.).

Deb, I did see that about Downton Abbey and will record it as well. We're doing the comfort Sunday meal again tonight. It's an Italian theme. It just cannot be beat for 20 dollars.

Found the right size tree this year. Last year we brought home this gigantic thing because all of the little ones were poorly pruned and didn't look right. Didn't like the place we went, either so we tried another tree farm, and I'm glad we did. This one is a perfect size and so plump--I love fat trees. We went today and it was gorgeous weather--sunny and in the high 40s. It was raining yesterday and will be raining again tomorrow.

Had a great time at the party Friday night. An annual Christmas party for the Rural Lands Foundation. Another party this Wednesday. 'Tis the season!

Valerie, Breaking Bad is absolutely brilliant. All of the characters are so distinctive and the plots are outrageous. Definitely addictive.

Lori, I liked Sean Connery and Pierce Brosnan best of the Bonds. I still haven't seen Skyfall.

Today was a cardio day. Ran on treadmill then took Chester for a 3 mile walk. Between that, church and grocery shopping my day slipped by. Yesterday did butts and guts. Seems like this is turning into my Saturday routine.

I have our office party coming up and a couple of house parties. Pretty quite this holiday season for us.

Skyfall was great. I really enjoy Daniel Craig as Bond. I will always favor Sean Connery and Roger Moore since they were Bond for me growing up. But Craig is growing on me and he is really likable. Was a nice afternoon with my son. I treasure the time we spend together!

Have a great night!
Lori

Good morning and Happy Monday...

Just finished playing with Grace, sitting with a cup of coffee....yes...

The party was good last night, it didn't drag on for hours like it usually does. They love to do that gift exchange where you steal from someone etc? We have had that go on for hours in the past. They put in some rules, restricting the stealing, and a lot of new members were not the type to get into that much, so we were out of there by 7:30.

Valerie, do you put up a tree? I have friends that kayak..I think they each have one, but I don't know much about it.

Garance, your tree sounds pretty, I like fat full ones too!

Lori, I think Sean Connery is the only Bond for me. How old is your son again? I know you mentioned before.. Nice that he will go to a movie with his Mom.

Work will be hectic for the next 3 days, my boss and a lot of my peers are in from out of town for a 2 day "summit" meeting. Don't you love that?

Anyway, hope everyone had a good weekend.

good morning. I found my Athletic training disk and did that yesterday. It somehow got in the wrong box and I hadn't seen it lately. some of the moves would be better on a full size step but I watch my step and make do with a smaller step. it went well, I like that one.

we plan on getting one double kayak. a lot of quiet, protected water around here. I'm NOT into fast water or open ocean stuff with big waves. I'm pretty timid around water actually. it has always scared me, and maybe that's a good thing. won't do anything even slightly risky. we've rented kayaks before and used to have a friend who had a folding one that we borrowed a few times. You put this one together each time you use it. takes about half an hour. the benefits are no need for a roof rack, and you can carry it on road trips because if folds down into two bags that fit in the back seat.

I can't bring myself to buy a cut tree. I know tree farms raise them for that purpose but it still bothers me. we used to buy a live tree and plant it after the holidays, but many didn't live. so the last dozen years, I decorate a big ficus tree I've had for 30+ years, an indoor plant. It's about 5 ft tall. If I decorate it, no one notices it's not an evergreen. I don't kill a tree or even buy one. some years...looks like this one... everyone will be somewhere else so probably no guests, so I may not even do that. we plan on taking off right around christmas for a few days of camping, hiking, cycling. won't have the kayak yet. I am a bit of a grinch about this season and can only tolerate a small number of christmas songs and shopping excesses.

Watched a couple good movies. A Beautiful Mind. we'd seen it once years ago, but watching it again I enjoyed it more. Love Russel Crowe. my favorite RC movie is the one about the tobacco industry .. at loss for the title... the Insider? also watched one called The Way with Martin sheen. Also quite good, about a man coming to terms with the death of his son by completing the long distance hike( in France, Spain) his son was on when he died. I am not a fan of Bond movies, I've seen several but not my kind of movie...

Breaking Bad is fabulous.... a series I'd buy to watch again because from one season to the next... but I know I forget a lot of the details. I 'd buy The Good Wife. DH wants the Sopranos, but of all the series I've watched, I liked that the least. the first few seasons did not come with subtitles and I miss a lot of dialogue with the mumbling & regional accents. I remember one section where one of the guys was going on about a satin. a satin this, satin that, and it turned out he was saying "Saturn" and was talking about a car. by then I'f missed a big section , not having any idea what he was saying. that happened a lot of times.

This morning I did High Reps upper body (39 min.).

The comfort Sunday meal was soooo good last night. An antipasti salad with a perfect vinaigrette and then rigatoni with various types of sausage in a really savory tomato sauce. DH had the cannoli for dessert, too, and I had one bite that was really yummy. Brought home half of my rigatoni.

If you like Russell Crowe, Valerie, you will probably like the film version of Les Miserables that's coming out. I saw the play on Broadway and it's really wonderful and the music just soars. Hugh Jackman has the lead role. I loved the Sopranos, but they rerun the series so often on TV I cannot imagine buying it.

Is it Grace Lazenby that you work out with, Deb? I have her Rockin' Models dvd and I did it a lot when I first bought it. The music on it is really good.

I still haven't seen Skyfall Lori, but it's good enough that it is still playing around theaters here, and that is unusual because we are a small market. Films go by pretty quickly.

Hi Ladies,

I did my workout as I planed over the weekend  Today I will be doing the a yoga cardio flow.

My DH and I went to see “Anything Goes” on Saturday. It was amazing and the costumes were beautiful (40’s style). One of my DH’s clients gave us their tickets, we were on the third row and in the middle.

I have not put up a tree yet, but plan on buying all the ingredients for my baking this weekend and maybe getting all my shopping done too. Wish me luck!

I will be back later.

Josie

Good morning,

so tired today, dogs got up at 3:15, DH took them downstairs, but I couldn't get back to sleep. Work stuff just running around in my head kept me awake...
coffee.gif
..it's going to be a long day. Dinner out with peers and boss tonight...ugh.

Valerie, I'm just like you with water. The fact that I can't swim is probably why.

Garance, yes, it's Grace Lazenby. She is the voice on the iTread workouts.

Josie, I have seen Anything Goes and it was great!

Take care,

Deb, wish something would help the doggies sleep in longer, as I'm sure you and DH do. they really have a pattern established now. I know I would not be able to go back to sleep after getting up and taking them outside..... and I'd be very unhappy about it. what would happen if you ignored them for increasing amounts of time to gradually push their "getting out" time back by 5 minutes every day?

Wow, can't swim? why? how did you get through childhood and school? I'm not a great swimmer but it wasn't "optional". we were required to take swim class... everyone.... and I went to a dumpy very old high school. maybe wisconsin, because of all the lakes, was pushier about swimming skills. It's a good skill for Hawaii or any tropical vacation. don't need to be olympic caliber, but safety paddle level so you can snorkel and just enjoy the water without being frightened all the time. the cold water here would put a person into hypothermia pretty quickly so it isn't always as practical as you might think. we will be doing very quiet water, lakes and bays, unless we get better skills by taking some classes.

a whole lot more wood chopping yesterday. I'm sore in some strange places but not too bad. it isn't anything I do often enough to get used to. and then DH decided to take down another tree, and it didn't fall where it wanted to and got hung up in another tree. this could be a big problem. we have someone coming out to see what would be advised at this poiint. it can't hurt anything... but is a problem to get it to fall the rest of the way. then we'll have aq lot of wood to split.

Lynda, what channel reruns the sopranos? Our newspaper doesn't run much of a TV grid anymore. I've never seen/heard it was rerunning. DH might want to record. we have cable so plenty of channels but I think there are plenty we don't have access to. I will put les miserables on my netflix queue.

This morning I did the 47 min. premix on Cardio Supersets.

Growing up in Minnesota ("Land of 10,000 Lakes"), I definitely know how to swim. Spent my summers at the lake every day. What I cannot handle is the ocean. DH loves to dive into a wave and then ride it in--bodysurfing. I just can't do it. I end up getting pounded when I try. But DH takes me out for some bobbing when the waves are a bit gentler. Loved snorkeling with a mask to correct my nearsightedness. Snorkeled in Hawaii and Cancun. Spectacular tropical fish.

Valerie, HBO on Demand will give you the Sopranos. Don't know if you get that channel.

Deb, I watched the Downton Abbey recap and first look at the next season. Reminds me of how much I enjoy that show.

Josie, I am now thinking about my Christmas baking too. Not sure how much to make anymore because my sons are no longer so crazy for cookies. Gosh, my cutout cookies would disappear so fast it was a struggle to keep up with the little snitches.

Maybe the requirement to swim was a midwestern thing? I had 3 aunts/uncles, all had lake cabins, boats. that was the typical family summer trip, to a lake, swim or boat. I don't think I knew anyone who couldn't swim. it was such a big part of life then, it would have been like not learning to drive. plenty of people didn't swim "well" but everyone could go in water. Deb, I think you need to take a few lessons! the worst part about swim class in high school was finding a swim cap that was water tight so hair would not be a disaster. being older and fatter, we all probably float better than we did as kids!

Like Lynda, not good in the ocean. swimming or boating. we have a lot of protected salt water so maybe I will feel better with practice. we went on a guided kayak trip a couple years ago, kayaked across an open passage to an island and around on a warm summer day. I've been snorkeling in FL, Hawaii and tried SNUBA. I couldn't clear my ears so never got down below 10 feet. still, a lot of fun. of course, you need to get past the horror of seeing yourself in a swim suit.

Lynda, thanks. no, don't get HBO.

Hi ladies!

Been extremely busy at work and will continue to do so thru Christmas. I have the week of Christmas off and do not go back to work until January 2nd. Much needed vacation! Staying home doing home projects and also hoping I will be starting with Xtrain. Keeping my fingers crossed we will have it by Christmas.

Same with me and the swimming in the ocean. Sometimes it is a bit much for me. My son and husband love it of course. (Deb - my son is 21 and I am so thrilled he enjoys spending time with his mom.) As far as swimming I do not know of anyone that does not know how to swim. Living in New England there is always a beach or pond/lake near by. It was just something we all learned as a kid.

Been great with the workouts...yesterday was HIIT pyramid and today was treadmill run. Tomorrow is either Circuit Max or Athletic Training. I'll decide when I wake up and roll out of bed to work out!

Have a great night!

Lori

Good morning,

Another crappy night. I need to find some doggy sleeping pills. One more long meeting day, and a dinner tonight, then things go back to normal at work. Until we have to do the year end inventory at the warehouse...ugh.

Valerie, living in the city, I used to go to the neighborhood pools when I was young with friends, but we hardly did any real swimming. Neither of my parents swam, my Dad was very fair, and burned so easily that he never went to the beach or anything. I guess it just wasn't something we did. We have lakes and stuff here too, LOL. We used to go to cottages on the lake, with beaches etc. I liked the water, went in and played around, just never over my head, and did not actually swim. In high school, we had a pool, and only had to take swimming freshman year. To pass you had to swim the lenght of the pool. once. I did that, just to pass but never really got into it beyond that. Soneone lent the first season of the Soprano's DVD's to DH a while ago, we watched the first episode, then he gave it back....not interested.

Garance, I watched the Downton Abbey preview thing, but only taped an hour...it cut off!! I swear the TV Guide said it was only and hour...actually 57 minutes??? Not sure what happened. So I didn't get to see the end of it where they supposedly came back to show more of season 3. I went on the PBS site, and there are all kinds of previews for season 3 so I didn't feel so bad. Maybe it meant there was 57 minutes without the fund raising parts? Now I wonder when I go to tape the real shows, will they tell the correct length?

Lori, what time do you start work each day? I hope we get Xtrain before Christmas, but I am not thinking that we will based on the latest info posted.

That's it for now...
picklewave.gif

We had a neighborhood pool also, and I went often. I think it cost 15 cents! it was a nice big outdoor pool but the rules were... nothing in the pool area with you ... no towel, shirt, suntan lotion. this was before any sunscreen that worked so we would all try to "tan" before the pool season opened to avoid getting burned. didn't always work. people are playing, splashing, bouncing around. no one actually swims that much, unless you got there early, before it was busy. we had to walk or bicycle to get there usually, a couple miles. no wonder I was thinner then. we had regular swim classes in HS and swam a lot of mileage indoor pool. the water is so cold here that you get incapacitated by hypothermia so distance swimming is not that valuable. anyone playing inn the surf is likely wearing a wet suit.
do the people in the agility class have problems with their dogs getting them up so early? I'd be asking around alot. I hate getting awakened too early... you have been patient.
I don't remember how the Sopranos started. I waded thru the whole thing but I never enjoyed it much. so many better more interesting series available now. too bad about the recording time being off. I don't think anyone puts much energy into getting the TV grid right, and with all the channels it's no wonder.

Did treadmill last night 35 min, yoga yesterday morning. today we get some help with our hung up tree. it's big and it's beyond our knowledge how to handle it.

This morning I did Push-Pull, double upper body premix (46 min.).

Deb, I will watch the time for you on Downton Abbey. The grid on our DVRs is very accurate except when there is a football game that goes over. This will screw up 60 minutes and everything that comes after--the Good Wife. I didn't think I would like the Sopranos either because I thought the characters would be so awful and a lot of violence, but it really gets addictive. Some of Tony's guys were comically stupid, and Tony's mother was absolutely brilliant--a terrible nag and kvetcher. Tony also starts having anxiety attacks and starts seeing a woman shrink. Some of the best scenes were their therapy sessions. I think Breaking Bad is, if anything, much more violent, and there is a great similarity in the eccentricities of each of the characters. Good writing for great actors is what matters, whether it's Downton Abbey or the Sopranos or Breaking Bad or Homeland. What I don't like is sit-coms, which are usually so formulaic and repetitive.

Have another party tonight. DH is on the town's Agriculture Commission and he is making fun of me because he doesn't think local farmers will eat what I'm bringing: hummus and baba ghanouj with pita bread, good olives, slices of cucumber and tomato. I thought it would be like an antipasto salad. Hey--we'll have leftovers if they don't like my offering! Last year someone brought these little squares of cheddar cheese embedded with crystallized ginger. Now that was ugly!

Never liked swimming in chlorinated pools. Two lakes within walking or biking distance for me.

Good morning,

Not a good night last night. Dinner out with a client, which was ok. Dogs got up twice, and then at 4:10 I just got up with them for good. I am going to get a sample from Keegan and take it to the vet this morning to be tested. I just want to make sure he does not have an infection. We have to keep on that and treat quickly so he does not form stones again. DH had a patient in yesterday that has a Dalmation ( they are a breed that is really prone to bladder/kidney stones) who has had to have the surgery twice. I am so afraid of Keegan getting them again and having to go through that again.

Valerie, we had the same kind of pool, only it was free, and you could bring towels etc. I don't remember wearing sunscreen back then, or even worrying about getting burned. It was just a thing that happened when you were a kid and you treated it afterwards. I got burned all the time. I don't think it's the agility that affects their sleeping. If anything, it should make them more tired.

Garance, thanks on the time watching for Downton Abbey. That was annoying. Our PBS station was giving away the Season 3 DVD set if you pledged $100. You wouldn't get it right now though, they said it would be delivered sometime after January, but definitely before the season was over on TV. I was tempted, but only if you could get it now. I like hummus a lot, but it makes me eat too many pieces of bread or crackers.

So glad all my "visitors" at work have gone home, now to get back to real work. Only 2 more days until the weekend. This will be the last one off before the inventory starts on 12/20. Great.

Take care,

This morning I did After Burn (54 min.).

DH was wrong. Most of my hummus and baba ghanouj was eaten. He's so funny. He actually made these little labels for my bowls and did an English translation underneath: chickpea and tahini dip; eggplant and tahini dip. Better safe than sorry on getting Keegan tested. Do you think that's why he may be getting up so often?

Any word on Xtrain? Sure would like to see some clips to prepare for the torture Cathe has planned for us.

I hate this time of year for all the pitches from charities. I end up wanting to give to all of them. The one with the children who have cleft palates and other deformations is a real killer for me. I just have to give and think that a simple operation will transform their lives and I'm helping.

What is everyone reading these days?

I love hummus and baba ghanouj. always have a big container of hummus in the frig. It's good with vegies like cucumber or pepper slices too, so no need to go over board on pita bread or chips. I use it like mayonnaise ( which I despise) to provide moisture in sandwiches. I'm not surprised most of it's gone. I don't eat common appetizers like meatballs and shrimp so I usually camp out at whatever vegie option is on the table.

That was the thing Deb, they called it "suntan lotion" but it didn't do anything except maybe lubricate your skin, or provide an oil slick on the pool surface. we were supposed to shower off anything like that before entering the pool. so we used to get burned sometimes. there was no other option ... except "preventive tanning" ahead of time since we could not bring clothing or towels into the pool area either. I don't remember exactly when effective sunscreens came out but it was not in the '50s. I never over-did it and was not as fair as a lot of others but now of course skin cancer is a potential worry from all that exposure. my mother is a pale redhead, and my father irish but I somehow ended up with more pigment in my skin than either. when I was a kid tanned pretty easily, so I was luckier than some..

that's a good thought, if one of the doggies has a urinary tract infection the urination urge is often and strong. and if one wakes up, then they're both are up.

Same here Deb! No sleep last night either. My lab woke us up several times which is so unusual for him needing to go out in the night. Needless to say I did not work out this morning.

Yesterday I did athletic training in the morning then worked out with hubby at night. In the morning I am up at 5am working out and work out for about an hour. When I got home I did slide and glide which I like when I want a less intense. I usually do not do two workouts in one day so I certainly do not feel guilty not working out this morning.

I am so excited for Xtrain. All the workouts sound awesome!

Have a great night ladies!!!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.