Pentagenarians & Beyond! W/B 12/21

fox2star

Cathlete
Good Morning!

Today I did the Legs & Chest from MIS, and the abs from Fit To Dance. I forgot how much I like that ab routine, so different, and short and to the point! We are getting hit pretty hard again with snow. DH took some pictures of the house yesterday before he did the snow blowing. It doesn't really do it justice. I will post them when he uploads off his camera. It's snowing sideways right now...:confused:..I am so glad I don;t have to work this upcoming week!

Garance, DH has snow shoes and used to use them out at the sportsman's club he belongs to. They have nice fields, wooded areas etc. They would be useful around here right now! Yes, DH does "dog duty", as a matter of fact he was up this morning at 3:42, took Keegan down and let Kelsey and I sleep peacefully. We kind of try to share the "duty".

Josie, did it warm up a bit there?

Linny, I am sure you are baking and cooking up a storm! How is the weather now that the ice has cleared?

Joan, I thought we would hear from you in the middle of the night after your workout!

Stay warm ladies!

Deb

Good morning everyone,
Didn't get up until 9:00 , so I haven't done anything yet. We had a great party. It ended by 11:00, but I like to wash dishes and clean up before I go to bed. We have a lot of leftovers.
I'll check in later with wo.
Joan

Some pics from yesterday...

I hope this works...these are from yesterday...the snow doesn't look so bad here...

348050133.jpg

348050131.jpg

Hi Deb, Linny, Josie, and Joan--

This morning I did Kelly C-M's Cardio Sculpt (70 min.).

We are getting a lot of snow again today. It sounds like tomorrow will be a lot of wind, so drifting. Loved the pictures of your house, Deb. Yesterday afternoon was nice and calm, so the snowshoeing was excellent. Lots of animal tracks back on our land. DH is going to be thrilled with his motion sensor camera.

I was smart and did my grocery shopping yesterday, because it looks like a mess out there, and I am just staying in and catching up on bills and will cut out a suit pattern this afternoon. My cold has also developed into eye watering, sneezing, and sinus blockage, so I am happy to just stay in. I almost didn't workout this morning, but since I couldn't sleep, figured I must as well give it a try. I actually think exercise helps if it's just a cold.

Ohh--I also previewed Kelly C-M's new Kickbox DVD. It looks really good. I may do the whole thing later this week--53 min. You can also divide it up into two 30 minute workouts. What I particularly like about all of her workouts is that there is a modifier. I don't know why Cathe doesn't do this. I am tired of hearing the riff about her target buyers being "advanced." I own every video and DVD she has made and have been working out with her for over 20 years. If that isn't a target buyer, then who is? And I am advanced--in age.

I'm like you Joan--I cannot go to bed with a big mess to clean up in the morning. I would rather start the new day without yesterday's cleaning to do.

Hi to Linny--hope your celebration came off in spite of the weather.

Good evening everyone,
I finally got 4 miles on treadmill in while it was still Sunday. I'm afraid my one day of eating became three. Another 4 hours on treadmill and I might burn all the calories off.
Deb I like the house but not the snow. No snow here just cold. They expect it to be 0 to 5 degrees in the morning.
garance I completely agree about modifying dvds. I bought all Cathe's dvds when I started out because it was the best deal. I probably wouldn't have bought many of the steps if I had known how hard it was on my knees. I have done some modifications on my own, but would really like some help on that. Maybe just one dvd with lots of modifications that I could apply to all the other dvds.
I only have Cathe's kickboxing dvds. I don't think it would be worthwhile to have more because I can't do the arm movements. It seems to hurt my joints.
They have set a date to stop the presale of sts. I guess it is almost ready.:D
Joan

Monday before Christmas Mania!

Good Morning!

It snowed well into the night. All the hours of snow blowing seemed to not have happened at all. He is getting dressed and going out again so we can get our cars out of the garage. I am so glad that I am not working this week! It looks like my DF will not be coming up here for Christmas. With this weather I am not even letting him think of driving here. DH and I offered to pick him up on Wednesday so he can be with the family on Christmas, having him stay with us. We would bring him back on Christmas day. He did not want to do that. So we will just go there on Christmas day and bring dinner to him.

Garance, you are making a suit? That is a lot of work! What pattern are you doing?

Joan, I don't like Cathe's step workouts, they are too fast and the steps are complicated for me. I used to do step at a health club that DH and I belong to and the step routines were not as hard as Cathe's plus the trainers broke them down better so you could learn them. I know that Cathe cannot do this on a DVD, but someone suggested she have a tutorial section on the DVD that breaks down the steps slowly or the combinations and I thought this was a great idea. I guess she didn't think so!

Did you see the thread about STS and how it is late? There are some cranky people over there!

Hi to Linny & Josie!

Stay warm ladies!

This morning I did not work out. Too much congestion and eye watering. I am still suffering, but managed to get to the drugstore today to get some Sudafed. I hope all the gushing is over by Christmas.

I am doing Vogue 2938--a pencil skirt with some interesting seaming and a short little jacket. I don't think it looks that hard. I used to make a lot of suits back in the 80s--you know--with the big shoulder pads. Power suits. This one involves very little tailoring, but a considerable amount of seaming.

Wow--I saw that STS thread, Deb. It just goes on and on and on. I like to grouse, but I don't like getting into big arguments about who is right, who is wrong to grouse. After reading a few pages I almost posted "Blah, blah, blah!" I think Rhonda had a right to express her frustration. How do you argue with that? Well--they certainly found a way, and some of them are so self-righteous and full of ire.

Joan, I love all of Cathe's step workouts, but I am now down to 4 inches to save my knees. That seems to have alleviated a lot of my problems, along with radically reducing the impact and crosstraining with kickboxing and just plain old walking.

Lots of snow here and very cold temps. I have my long underwear on--Wintersilks. Love them.

I haven't been eating that much because it's all rather tasteless at this point. I guess that's one way to beat the holiday munchies, but I don't recommend it!

Hi Ladies:
Well lots going on.I have decided to take another job offer.Its still third shift but the money and benefits are alot better.Plus its only 5 minutes down the street.I will be giving my notice tomorrow morning,the DON is going to freak.The other nurse that works third with me is also giving her notice the next day.My work has been cutting nurses due to low census and we both can't afford to be cut on a regular basis.
Deb:So glad that Kelsey's surgery was a success.I bet Keegan can't wait for his buddy to mend.I love the style of your house.Looks like you have a lot of rooms to clean though;).I think we have more snow than you though(this is not a good thing).
Garance:You were right about this past weekend being my Christmas party.Everyone had a great time.I made too much food as usual,but DH was glad that we had leftover sweet and sour meatballs:).Wow I give you credit fore sewing a suit.I haven't sewn any thing since my early 20's,and that was a simple sundress.
JoanC:So glad that your party was a success.Those cheesecakes sound yummy.We got about 9 inches of snow yesterday and on top of it all my car starter stopped working.This isn't a good thing since I get hives from the cold.
Josie:I hope you are staying warm.I am so glad I sent my parents warm sweaters for Christmas since they live in Westminster.
Well its back to work tonight,so its nap time.Have a great night~Linny~

Tuesday, Christmas Eve Day Eve!

Good Morning!

Today I plan on doing the back & biceps from MIS. Breaking this one down into a 3 day split is pretty doable for me. Yesterday I pulled out an old DVD called Treadmill Challengers. It is a 40 minute treadmill workout with this "coach" guy and 3 people on treadmills. It's a pretty good interval workout. I liked it, so I bought one by Traceu Staehle called "Walking Strong" on Ebay. Kelsey took out most of her stitches...:(..we have a vet apt tomorrow for a follow up..I sure hope they don;t have to re-stitch..

Garance, I hope you are feeling better and have beaten down that cold. I think sewing is so theraputic. When I was quilting a lot, I could go for hours and not even realize that the time went by. It sure would have been interesting if you would have posted what you really felt like on the STS thread! We have this funny thing we say at work, that we want just one day where we can say whatever we want to customers and employees, with no consequences...Just one day..:mad:

Linny, Congratulations on the new position! That is so great that it is only 5 minutes from your house! Think of all the time you will save from driving back and forth, extra sleep time!;). Glad your party was a success. Will you be having your family over on Christmas eve or day?

Waving to Josie and Joan...

Stay warm!

Deb

This morning I did Kelly C-M's 30 minutes for Back, Legs, and Chest plus 2 miles with Leslie. I am still struggling with this head cold, but I do feel better today.

Oh--that's too bad about the stitches, Deb. Maybe she'll be put in one of those cones around the neck to keep her from worrying the incision. I really hope she doesn't have to get re-stitched.

Linny, that new job sounds great. Are you going to walk to work? or is it 5 minutes of driving away? I live 2.2 miles away from the college, and that's about 10-15 minutes driving, but about 30 minutes if I were to walk, and the last mile is straight up so I would be panting by the time I got home.

I am just starting to get used to the fact that I am on sabbatical and have virtually no obligations--class preps for winter study and spring semester, committee meetings, interviewing candidates all gone. If I didn't feel so fogged in, I could probably do a bit of writing, but I have been going over all my research notes and doing some minor editing on a piece for a book, so I am getting started.

Hi to Josie if you tune in!

Hi Deb, Linny, Josie, and garance,
I must be getting senile. I wrote a reply this morning with Mondays 4 mi on treadmill and even congratulated Linny on her new job. It would have helped if I had hit the submit reply button.
garance hope the cold is gone tomorrow.
I haven't put weights back out so did 4.25 mi on treadmill Tuesday.
My brother called and said they are bringing my nephew's girlfriend with them on Christmas. Oh and by the way she is a vegetarian. Should I make pasta, fake turkey or just let her eat mashed potatoes and dessert?
I will be on vacation from Sunday December 28 to Sunday January 4th. I will not be able to post during that time, but hope to do a lot of walking.
I hope everyone has a good Christmas.
Joan

It's Christmas Eve!

Good Morning!

I hope you are all well today! No workout yesterday. I ended up calling the vet and getting a 9:00 appointment. Kelsey had to have staples put in to replace the stitches, and she does now have one of those cones on her head to keep her from doing it again. The good news is that she is where she is supposed to be in her mobility, so the PT exercises are working.

Garance, glad that you are feeling better. It crappy to be sick during the holidays, especially if you are the one having it at your house with all the work to do. I think you should not start any sabbatical stuff until after January 1!

Joan, I have done similar things with posting. As for the vegetarian guest, I think as long as you have a salad and some vegetables, she will make do. Although I am not a vegetarian, I don;t think she would expect you to cook something special for her. I know I would feel terrible if I was invited late to something and the host made something different for me. Have a good vacation!

Linny, did you give your notice yet? Is that today or was it last night? Will they let you stay on? Do they need you to finish your notice time?
What day will you start your new job?

Josie, I hope you are having a great time with your family!

Merry Christmas to all of you!

This morning I did the horizontal premix on Kelly C-M's Kick Stepboxing (50 min.).

Deb, I had a feeling that Kelsey would be made a conehead. It's great news, though, that the PT is doing so well.

This morning I made a lasagna for my sons tonight, because DH and I are going out for dinner with friends. Then I made a trifle for dessert tomorrow. It really looks quite spectacular, and it's spiked with cream sherry. My older son's fiancee wants to make some Chinese appetizers, and I say, GREAT! I was going to make coconut shrimp with a pinepple and jalapeno salsa, but now I have another woman in the kitchen.

Have a great vacation Joan, and I'm with Deb on the vegetarian meal.

Hi to Linny and Josie out there! Merry Christmas!

The Day After Christmas!

Good Morning,

Well I have to work today, I switched this day for the day after New Years Day. That is the day that Kelsey gets her stitches out so I needed it off. It will be very slow today at work and very boring. A long day.

We took a lasagna dinner to my Dad's yesterday. He was pretty happy. As my DH said, this is what Christmas is all about. The 3 of us had a nice dinner, I felt so much better that he did not spend the day alone. The weather was beautiful here yesterday, blue skies and sunny, although it did not get above 32, it cooperated so we could make the trip. :)

Garance, how were those Chinese appetizers? It's great that your son's fiance wanted to make something..she sounds like a "keeper"!

Linny, how was your holiday?

Joan, and Josie, I believe you may be away, hope you are having a great time!

Deb

Good evening Deb, garance, Josie and Linny,
Glad to here Kelsey is doing ok.
We had a good Christmas, but eating is pretty out of control. Other weeks I didn't gain because I got enough exercise, but not this week.
No problem with vegetarian, she did eat eggs, cheese and milk.
My dh suprised me with flat/incline bench for Christmas. I have used step before, but it really was too short. I wasn't going to post until I did workout but that may not happen.:(
We leave early Sunday morning.
Joan

It's Saturday!

Good Morning all!

Well Christmas is over and we are now getting rain like you would not believe.. It's very warm outside. The good thing is all the ice in the back yard is disappearing. It was treacherous out there. Does anyone have fun plans for the weekend? Nothing here, except going out to buy a birthday present for a nephew. Not fun. I can imagine what Toys R Us looks like right now. No workout today. I hope to start back tomorrow with more energy and less eating!

Joan, remind me again where it is you are going?

Garance, is your son and fiance still there?

Linny, when does the new job start?

Have a good one ladies!

I have not exercised since Wednesday, but I plan to start again tomorrow. I also received the AOS Providence for Christmas from my sons, and I previewed it yesterday. It looks a bit more interesting than Lauren's, and I like the music.

We had a very nice Christmas and a big meal with all of the Chinese DS's fiancee made. I had also made a big lasagna for them because DH and I went out for dinner with friends on Christmas Eve.

DH and the boys went skiing yesterday, while fiancee and I went to see Marley and Me. We were both weeping at the end. But it was such a heartfelt movie about such an impossible dog. What also made us cry is that it's based on a real story. Now I want to read the book. I loved Jennifer Aniston and Owen Wilson.

Well, what kind of New Year's Resolutions are all of you making?? I am thinking of once again trying to lose 10 pounds and doing it by whittling away at my habits--e.g., cutting back to one glass of wine at night, one cookie for dessert at lunch instead of 2, etc. I am also hoping for STS and expecting the wait is not too long now--or at least trying to be optimistic. I still plan to avoid the next presale: I AM NOT A LEMMING is my new mantra.

No big plans for the weekend. The guys were going to go skiing again, but it's pouring rain here, too, and no fun. DH also had another slaughter this Saturday, so he would not have gone.

Check in tomorrow--hope everyone had a great Christmas!

Good evening everyone,
I finally got in 4.5 mi on treadmill.
My brother and family stayed another day so even more food and time spent visiting and packing.
We leave for Las Vegas Sunday morning and back next Sunday evening.
I probably won't check in until I get back so have a good New Year's eve.
Joan

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.