Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 12/16

fox2star

Cathlete
Good morning,

I need to get a workout in today, last week was a bust, only did 2 workouts. :(, plus all the extra eating with out of town people, a retirement dinner Friday night...yikes.

Lori, wow that was some working out you did! :eek:

Valerie, here is the link to the clip: just scroll down once the page loads...you don't have to sign on to Facebook to view it...

Cathe Friedrich - Glassboro, NJ - Athlete | Facebook

Garance, enjoy your "Comfort Meal"

on the shooting, I don't/can't comprehend what makes someone do that...then he ends up killing himself...why not just kill yourself and get it over with?..do you have to take innocent children with you?

Hi to Josie, & Joan,

going to go get my iPad Christmas present today!

Hi Deb and any later posters--

This morning I did Athletic Training (56 min.).

Looking forward to the comfort Sunday meal tonight: First course: Chiliquiles with fried corn tortillas, green tomato salsa, braised chicken and fresh cheese; Second course: East Mountain Farm Pork carnitas with corn tortillas, cabbage, avocado, mayo, roasted tomato salsa, rice and beans; Third course: housemade fried ice cream with chocolate sauce. I might have to get all three courses because I love ice cream.

Deb, the shooter sounds like he definitely had a personality disorder of some kind--maybe borderline autistic. What I don't understand is the mother having all those guns and taking him to a shooting range for target practice. All of the news this weekend has been heartbreaking. I just can't watch any more of it. If the news orgies ever led to some political action on guns I wouldn't mind, but it seems like all of the networks just submerge themselves in the gore for awhile, and then the issue of gun violence fades again. I just don't get it.

Deb, I think you would like the series by Linwood Barclay. (I think I said it was Lincoln the first time.) They are both funny and suspenseful.

Hope everyone's weekend has not been totally sad because of the Newtown tragedy.

Hi ladies,
Chester let us sleep last night yeah!!!!! I have so much energy today. Amazing what a good nights sleep can do.

Did athletic training but doubled up on the step cardio portion and skipped the crunches at the end. Great workout.

I bought the 4day split today. Was the daily deal plus the 15% off. I have been wanting this for a while but never got around to buying it. I am looking forward to adding it into my rotation.

My son and I went to see the Hobbit yesterday and we loved it. Was a very long movie (2:45 hrs or about that) but we both are huge Lord of the Rings fans so we rather enjoyed it. My husband on the other hand could care less so we left him home. Figured he would only fall asleep during it anyways! :)

Snowy and cold here today.

Oh my that sounds like a decent meal! enjoy.

Deb, just get back on track. this time of year is hard to dodge all the extra food.
yes, Lori, sounds like you did a decent amount of work!

I had a bad day. I don't want to go over my unenjoyable medical issues, but I fainted yesterday morning and hit my forehead, cutting a gash about eyebrow level. I did not feel good all day after that so skipped working out and went to bed early. Ok today, except for the tape over my eye holding the cut together. don't need stitches but not doing anything difficult today either. we are set up for rain and wind later today and monday, so not sure if I'll have power. sometimes they over estimate so will wait and see.

Like everyone else I'm sick about the horrid shooting. another one of those situations where it starts with easy access to guns. if his mother wasn't worried, why would anyone else be? and if she was the first victim, it seems like he hid the extent of his illness very well. we all likely went to school with plenty of "weird" or "crazy" people... I certainly did... who just didn't fit in, but how many turn into crazed killers?

most of them end up killing themselves so I don't knwo why they have to take others along with them. I don't feel it's easy to ID potential killers ahead of time, and in this case he didn't have to do anything extreme to access plenty of weapons. so sad. we've had plenty of "local" multiple shootings as I'm sure every region of the country has. but it seems like to get big coverage you have to kill a whole bunch of people, or in this case, a bunch of little kids. Is it the short term "fame" that they know will follow that they're after??

Good morning,

Today I did 35 minutes of Cardio Coach #1...227 calories burned. I used 1# weights in each hand thinking it would make a difference in calories, but not that much.

Garance, that meal sounds wonderful!

Lori, the weight work in 4-Day Split is some of my favorite Cathe workouts. I don't do any of the cardio except the kickbox one...hate her step work, and not a fan of Bootcamp style workouts either..but the kickboxing workout is a good one, and with the leg workout, it is killer, ( in a good way).

Valerie, what caused the fainting? Low blood pressure? scary for sure. this is when having a DR for a DH is lucky!!

Hi to Josie, and Joan,

Off to work, ....this will be a killer 2 weeks....ugh...

deb, it's complicated. remember I have the pacer? my normal heart rate has always been low. I needed to get the pacer because of fainting. I skip a few beats sometimes and it's enough to cause a faint. the pacer is set to kick in when that happens but I have it set to allow a much lower rate at night, so I can sleep. maybe there are people who can sleep with a heart rate of 70 but I clearly am not one of them.

I fainted very early in the morning. I think the timing of the acceptable rate has to be adjusted. I am always aware of when the pacer kicks in. I feel funny for a few seconds but don't faint. it doesn't happen that often. they could set the rate higher but it feels (to me) like I've been exercising when I'm sitting still. anyway, I'm due to see my doc in a couple weeks, maybe sooner, since I decided DH should come along on this visit. there are a lot of adjustable features and we need to reset something.

Lori, I'm with Deb on hating step. I can muddle thru the beginning of AT but that's even a stretch. I use a high step, don't own a regular step because... I HATE step workouts. I haven't done a workout now in 3 days which is some kind of record. we walked around at a state park for a while yesterday but nothing strenuous. cold, wet, rain/snow mix, just lovely out. if we have power today I may try one later. power went out once this morning but came back on so we'll see how the day goes.

Hi Deb, Josie, Valerie, and Lori--

This morning I did KCM's Cardio Quick Fix both workouts (45 min.).

The meal last night was soooo good and so plentiful that we will be able to have what we brought home tonight for a second dinner (without the fried ice cream--no bringing that home). Finally started my baking this morning with caramel bars. Also made a pretty complicated marinade for some pork chops from a new cookbook. They will sit in it all day and over night.

Valerie, Hilary fainted this weekend too, so you are in good company. Some terrible stomach bug for her. She has a concussion from her fall. Must be scary for you.

Lori, I love step and that was how I first "met" Cathe, with her early step workouts. There is one very tricky move on one of the step workouts in 4ds which took me a long time to master, but I remember really loving the feel of it when I finally got it down. My very favorite Cathe step is Rhythmic Step, but I also loved Step Blast, Power Max, and Step works. They are all much longer than the 2 shorter step routines on 4ds. Also a lover of Tolkien--have read the books 3 times, once for myself, then 2 more times for my sons. I will definitely be going to see The Hobbit.

Haaaa. fainting is the ONLY thing I have in common with Hillary!!! would love to have 10
% of her smarts... It's an unpleasant feeling though, I didn't get a concussion or anything but did get a small cut above my rt eyebrow.

Did LBB to get back on the horse, so to speak. I went lighter on weight but did it all.

Lynda, did you hear the comments joe scarborough made re the shooting? I was impressed... hopefully enough people will see these issues in a new light and some changes will get done...

Good morning,

No workout today, rest day after late class last night.

Valerie, I didn't remember you had a pacer...makes sense now. Kind of scary though. Glad you only got a minor cut.

Garance, I am cynical enough to believe that Hiliary's "illness" is a way for her to avoid testifying. That's just me though. How is Max doing? Did you find out whether it was a torn ACL?

Have you seen the clip of the boxing workout? I refuse to buy those gloves!

Hi to Josie, Joan, and Lori,

Off for more coffee....work, then back to Kohl's to return a sweater I bought that was made wrong...the tag on the outside...basically inside out....ugh...at least it wasn't a gift...it was for me!

Later ..
picklewave.gif

This morning I did Push-Pull, double upper body (46 min.).

Valerie, I did watch most of Scarborough's comments on guns. He was on yesterday morning, right after I finished my workout. Maybe this last massacre was a tipping point. This morning Bloomberg was on and he is absolutely scornful on federal gun control laws--no money, he says, for enforcement. Why, he asked, would you make available armor-piercing bullets unless you were selling to someone who wanted to kill policemen who wear armor. We have such a violent culture it's ridiculous.

Deb, I saw that clip too. I might wear my weighted gloves, but doubt buying those gloves. DH might get a kick out of them though. He is still fond of my ball for P-57 with the Disney princesses embossed on the surface. Nope, I think Hillary was taken to the hospital for dehydration as well as her concussion, but cynicism is always a wise attitude toward politicians.

Hi to Lori and Josie!

For me there was something shooting that was so horrendous I don't see how we can NOT make changes. we've been led around by the NRA and their wishes for too long. I don't think anyone wants to 'take away anyone's guns" but I fail to see the value of this type of weapon except for what it's getting used for, mass killings. I so hope we get somewhere this time. I never enjoyed video games, so I'll just have to take others opinions on how violent they are. maladjusted young men seem to be the biggest problem... and it sounds like we have tied the hands of parents and others who foresee trouble.

Didn't get sore from LBB at all even though I haven't done that type of workout in a long time. I did all the moves, lightened the weight slightly.

I doubt I'll buy boxing gloves either but that sure is a cute setup with the pink gloves. we even have a punching bag but the darn thing will never hold air more than a couple hours. DH is pretty good at it but I can't ever get the rhythm right.

I like step but only if it is not too dancy. I prefer athletic type moves as I get older. I have also noticed that 6 inch step is better for me then an 8 inch step if it is high impact. I love anything with kickbox and I always wear 1lb hand weight gloves for intensity. For Hard Strikes I will use my hand weights instead of the boxing gloves!

Today was CTX Kickbox (cardio only) then followed by Cardio Kicks power drills. I have planned tomorrow to be my relax day. I have a Board meeting at work and will need to leave the house at 6:30am...so needless to say no morning workout!

Hope you are feeling better soon Valerie!

Good morning,

Today I did the Lower body pre-mix from Muscle Max. I think this is the one that she started to insert those "low ends"...ugh.

Garance, I forgot all about P-57..don't remember using a ball in it...maybe I only had the shorter workout. I think I will use my weighted gloves too. Saw the clip of the leg workout ..it looks pretty high impact...as I'm watching it I'm trying to figure out how I am going to modify all that jumping. Where is "Lauren" when you need her?

Take a look at this article and do the test! I was able to do it the second time I tried, once I started it from a standing position, rather than sitting. Then you know where to put your legs...

http://health.yahoo.net/experts/dayinhealth/weird-test-predicts-longevity

Hi to Lori, Valerie, Josie, and Joan ( where are you Joan?)...

Take care,

Yes... where are you Joan?

Lori, good thought on the weighted gloves. might not be as cute but I don't want to buy more "stuff" if I don't need to. I also have wrist/ankle weights but they might be too heavy.
I tend to use a lower step height too. LBB uses a step for several moves but it always seems risky if you miscalculate. it ends with jumping up and down off the step and jacking so I use the modification, jumping in place and jacking. I'm always afraid of jumping, not quite reaching step height, and going flying into the TV.

yesterday was a busy day, 2 medical appts for myself plus one for kitty, needed annual shots and decided on a small surgery for a cyst/abscess. he's had it for at least 6 mon so the vet agreed it shoud come off. picked him up after, plus some shopping inbetween. I had things timed well and everyone else was on time but I still can't believe how well the schedule worked! I skipped yoga for the first time in a long while ...kind of glad I did... but will go back tomorrow. no workout yesterday. will do something today.

This morning I did the 47 min. premix with the step on Cardio Supersets.

Deb, I looked at the clip on the leg workout over at Collage. Ugh!!! It just looks like endless jumping. Quite frankly, I don't get it. WHY NOT ONE MODIFIER????~!!!! On KCM's Cardio Quick Fix, the second workout has a lot of jumping, but she has a modifier. I just get irritated by how Cathe doesn't care if her dvds are user-friendly for people who cannot do all of that impact. I just sold Crossfire and To the Max because of the limitations on how useful they were for me. End of rant. I saw that sit-stand article over at Videofitness, too. I do okay, but I'm not as spry as I was. I am also skeptical. My mom couldn't get up off the floor without bracing herself, and she lived to be 93.

Lori, I'm not sure how "dancy" 4ds is--maybe a bit more than LIC in the LIS. I agree--a 6 inch step is all I use.

Valerie, take a look at the clip on the leg workout. She does those jump-ups on the step you are referring to. Hope Kitty is okay.

Thanks... Puss will be Ok but will be unhappy for a day or two. he has a shaved spot with a big stitched incision. just skin level lesion but they took some around it also. I'd been hot soaking it on and off, and it would leak fluid sometimes. varied in size from small to bigger, but never went away. a cyst or small abscess. might have argued with another cat back in june. tiny but never went away and then got bigger a month or so ago. also annual immunizations and teeth cleaning so probably nothing that's NOT sore. poor little guy. at least it was all done in one swoop vs multiple visits.

that leg one looks a bit jumpy. Plyo jacks ... I may do. I don't mind those. I've been doing a lot of jacks lately and they seem Ok. I'd do moves on the floor rather than up /down off the bench. I worry more about catching a toe and doing a header...if I watch the screen and not my feet. I only have a high step so not much room to land. this series is touted as having a massive number of pre mixes so maybe there are mixes that skip the higher impact moves.

Good morning,

No workout today, late class last night.

Valerie, I'm with you, don't need any more "stuff" that just gathers dust. I will use my Cathe weighted gloves. I like that you can use a half or whole pound in each.

Garance, I saw the pre-mix, and thought, "well here is one I won't be grabbing too frequently unless it has some low impact pre-mixes"...going over to the descriptions right now to see ...nope...don't see one...

Valerie, glad you and your kitty are ok. poor baby, a lot done at once, but at least it didn't mean multiple times etc. will they be doing a biopsy on what they removed?

Hi to Lori, Josie, & the missing Joan!

It will be a tough rest of the week, have to go in at 6:00 am tomorrow, and work 4 hours Saturday...

Take care,

I did cardio supersets yesterday. finally starting to feel more like myself today. I took a pretty hard hit on the forehead. the steri strips are probably going to fall off this morning. the cut is not as big as it felt.

amazing, all that stuff done to Puss and already this morning he is acting like nothing happened. he was pretty quiet yesterday ...hates getting stuffed in the carrier.. .maybe because most times he's driven anywhere he's going to the vet. he has 4 stitches, come out in 2 weeks. Deb, they said they'd send it to path if there was a reason. almost every cat bite will get infected and needs treatment we heard some noise about 6 months ago but never saw another cat or saw any mark, just his fur stirred up a little. so we watched but nothing really happened. I tried doing hot soaks, and it drained but refilled so probably was not going away.

well, bummer. I was thinking low impact would be a great sub catregory for pre mixes, especially considering how enthused most people were about the LIS series. guess we'll see pretty soon. I'm still OK with jumping on the floor but I've never liked jumping on and off the step. I've always figured out some kind of work-around.

Hi Ladies,

Sorry for not posting sooner. I have been cleaning my desk before I go on vacation and also attending numerous Christmas parties at work. I will need some detoxing when the new year comes ;) I don’t know if I will be able to workout tonight because I’m still baking and want to finish by Saturday. My DD has been doing all the shopping for me, Thank God! I hate going to Toy’s R Us.

I want to wish all of you Ladies a Merry Christmas and a Happy and Prosperous New Year.! Thank you for your support during this tough year.

Deb, keep me posted on your trip to Palm Spring. I might be able to see you while you are there.

I will probably not post during my vacation so keep warm and don’t eat too much ;)

Josie

This morning I did High Reps upper body premix (39 min.).

Went to a English dept. party yesterday and gloated because I don't have any papers or exams to grade and everyone was complaining because Monday was the last day students turned things in and, of course, that's when they do finally get things in. It's really nice here today for December--in the 40s and very sunny.

There were low impact premixes on TTM (but so repetitive I hated this one), and on Crossfire (but only 39 min. long, which made me feel cheated), so I sold them. Neither one was worth the money IMO. Glad I sold them. I guess we'll see how inventive I can be with modifications. Seems ironic that I will probably be borrowing from KCM in order to do Cathe.

Don't work too hard Deb.

Valerie, I've always heard that head wounds bleed profusely, so they seem scarier than they really are. Sounds like kitty is bouncing back with ease.

Enjoy your holidays, Josie!

Hi to Lori!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.