Pentagenarians & Beyond:W/B 12/15

fox2star

Cathlete
Just getting us started. We got about 6-8 inches of snow overnight too. We're definitely going to have a white Christmas.

Hi Deb and any later posters--

This morning I did RK (55:16).

I think we had about 4-5 inches, but I'm not sure. DH plowed and shoveled everything before I even got up because he had a holiday market to get organized for.

Deb, I hope you are feeling better. I love the Christmas Story movie. They show it all day Christmas Day on some channel here and I always get a kick out of the lamp and the younger brother in his snowsuit. My younger son was hilarious in his snowsuit because he insisted we tie the hood on so tight that his face looked all pudged up, and he, too, could not get up once he went down. I've watched the first 4 episodes of Doc Martin. Martin Clunes is brilliant in this role. Off to comfort Sunday tonight.

Lori, I plan on seeing the Desolation of Smaug either tomorrow or Tuesday. This one received excellent reviews (the first one did not), so I expect to be even more pleased than I was with the first. Tolkien wrote The Hobbit in 1937 and it is commonly believed to reflect the growing sense of menace from Germany. The review mentioned Smaug's voice as being soft, insinuating, and silky, and the spiders were mentioned as being especially scary. Can't wait.

Judy, didn't they give you any idea what the wages were for the job? I don't know; maybe people are so desperate for work these days that they don't feel obligated.

Hi to Josie and Valerie!

Not sure this will work:

Darriean Hess could get 40-plus years for crash killing bicyclists | SeacoastOnline.com...

Goo evening ladies!

We received about 8 to 10 inches my DH thinks. We are all shoveled and have settled in for the Pat's game. Right before I did Afterburn. Poor chester no walks lately. Been just to cold or too snowy. We did take him out in the yard and ran around with him in the snow He enjoyed this!

Deb...hope you are feeling better.

Lynda...the reviews are spot on. The spiders really creeped me out. I loved this movie But like you I also loved the 1st! I read the article you posted. Hope she gets everything that is coming to her.

Hope to check in later. Have a great afternoon all!!!

DH put Doc Martin on the queue. my neighbor mentioned how much she and her husband enjoyed it too. we finished Breaking Bad last night. wow. what a great series. Liked the ending although I think it would be best to watch the whole series from beginning to end rather than spread out over years. I didn't remember stuff from the very beginning that was important at the end.

went for a trail run this morning. haven't done that in ages since DH doesn't run much anymore. It's a very hilly course... we "fast walked" it a week ago. today we parked further away and ran it. fun! we are back to our typical winter weather here, 50-ish, gray and occasional light rain. sounds good compared to several inches of white stuff that needs shoveling.

Lynda that is terrific that this woman is up against a serious sentence.. so many times this kind of thing gets plea bargained down to nothing significant. If only it made others think before drinking/drugging and driving.

Good morning,

I am going to work, but am going to try to get into my GP as soon as I can. I do not like the side effects from this med, and when I read about it on the FDA site, it scares me. Also, I Googled it and found a blog or something where all these people have had so many horrible things happen to them with this. Sometimes the internet is not a good thing.

Garance, I watched the first 4 episodes of DM....too funny. I too hope that girl gets everything they can throw at her.

Valerie, I think you and your DH will really like Doc Martin...He gets away with a lot of things, ( of course it's part of the fiction) that I assume some Dr's would like to. for example how he responds to some of his patients.

stay warm,

Wow, I'm sore today! my right thigh especially. there were some steep downhills on our run and those really do a number on the quads. the not-so-steep ones are fun because you can accelerate but the "steeps" are walk fast only. the surface is uneven with pebbles and roots, stairs in places. it's much softer to run on than concrete. still, a lot of fun. apparently I brake harder with my right leg.

doc martin on Netflix... a "very long wait". usually that means months so I won't be pushing that to the top of the queue anytime soon. we watched "newsroom" last night. not sure how many episodes of that exist. a little too frantic but often the pilot episode is like that and it settles down after. some snappy dialogue ( aaron sorkin of West wing fame) but seemed a little too "sit com" like in the rapid fire exchanges.

Lynda is there a word (that I can't think of ) to describe characters that are just too good, too ethical, just too obnoxiously moral and decent? too good to be believable? I'm thinking of the characters Robert Redford used to play in a lot of his 1980's movies, like Brubaker. he seems to have moved away from that now. I don't know how to find the word or words I'm looking for.

Deb, I don't mean to pry, but what antibiotic (s) are you having so much grief with? Ignore this if you don't want to say. just wondering.... I don't take antibiotics often but I can usually get what I ask for and I'd be cautious about whatever you've taken....

Hi Deb, Josie, Valerie, Lori, and Judy--

This morning I did Great Glutes, the premix without the ball (55:40). We also went to get a tree this morning and it was quite a hike in the snow. Brrr--very cold and windy, too.

Deb, I hope you get some answers from your doctor about that drug. Did you get one of those inserts from the pharmacist with all the warnings? I only have two episodes of Doc Martin to watch left from season 6. Mrs. Tishell returns!

I don't know Valerie--characters that are too good to be true are usually didactic--conceived to point a moral or represent an idea. They defy belief because they don't seem quite real, with a mix of flaws and virtues more recognizably human. What characters are you thinking of? Redford played some pretty flawed characters, though--the Sundance kid, the con man in The Sting, Gatsby, and the millionaire who offered to pay big money to a couple for one night with the wife (can't remember the name of the film, but it was Demi Moore as the wife). By the way, you can buy the first 5 seasons of Doc Martin at Amazon for about 20 dollars.

Yes, I hope Ms. Hess gets some serious time in jail.

Hi to Josie, Lori, and Judy!

Good afternoon ladies!

This morning I did T25 Speed 03 and tonight will be Hard Strikes cardio portion only.

More snow coming our way tomorrow and the heaviest of course will be right during the commute home.

Lynda...very brave going out to get the tree. I worked thru lunch. Had no desire to go out in this cold!

Valerie...when I first started walking Chester (more like a slow jog with him) I remember how much my thighs hurt. Same here we have so many hills and I found going down really used muscles that were not use to be used. I feel for you!

Deb...your poor thing. Boy this has really done a number on you. Hoping you can finally get what you need and start to feel better! Scary all the side affects. I do the same thing I go on line and read everything then I am scared to death!

Hi to Judy and Josie!!!

Hi Everyone,

We got 8-9 inches of snow this weekend. It is very cold and it looks like more snow is on the way. We went to Ann Arbor both Saturday and Sunday. We had to shovel FIL's both days and Sunday we were able to take him out to dinner for his birthday. I managed to do a short, 45 minute spin on Sunday and Muscle Max this morning.

My interview went very well. The position pays less than what I make now, and that is kind of an issue, as I really hate to step down in pay. The manager is going to see if she can get a wage approved that is close to what I make now and call me back in a couple of days.

Lynda-the starting wage for the job I interviewed for is $7.50. I probably should have asked the manager when she called me, but I waited for her to bring it up at the interview.

Deb-I'm sorry you are suffering so much, I hope you were able to see your doctor today. :(

Valerie-I know what you mean about downhill running doing a number on your quads. I get much more sore from running downhill than uphill.

Hi to Lori & Josie,

Judy

Still gimping around.... I know ...braking going downhill gets me sore. it was fun but we'll probably ride tomorrow after I get back from yoga and that will loosen it up.

I looked at Costco for doc martin. they had several seasons but not 1 or 2. I want to see an episode before I buy any.

Lynda, the character I was thinking of was the prison manager in Brubaker. The Natural was a bit like that if I remember right. I'm not sure what other movies gave me the impression of "too good to be true", but I never had a word to describe what bothered me about those few.
I like most of his movies. (Indecent Proposal was the Demi moore one.) Out of Africa is one of my all time favorites. I loved Ordinary People though he directed and wasn't in it.

Judy,I would think with experience, you should start higher. at the very least an agreement to re-look at it very soon if your job performance is good. minimum wage is higher than that here... I think it's $9.23. a ballot initiative passed to raise minimum to $15 in a community near here. waiting to see how that all works out.

I tend to not focus on drug warnings because they can become a self fulfilling event. If I don't feel well, then I look it up.

I've been trying jeans. so far, no go. tried Lucky today. too low cut and big on the top so when I bend over we get WAY too much on display. even the 30 inseam was too long. looked at the Gap, Kohls.

Last edited:
Good morning,

I went to the DR yesterday and am now on another anti-biotic. I was having an allergic reaction ( hives etc) to the last one. Unbelievable.

Valerie, here is the run down: Cipro, Bactrim, Macrobid, and now Ampicillin CK ? not your regular old ampicillin I guess. The first 2 didn't do any good because the bacterial was resistant to them, then I had the allergic reaction to Macrobid. Is your neck etc better now? As for the Doc Martin, that is why I got Amazon Prime. I watched the first 5 seasons in a matter of weeks. All instantly, no waiting. I was just too impatient to see season 6 to wait for it to be available on Prime. I actually prefer it to watching a DVD. With all I buy on Amazon, and the streaming video, it pays for itself.

Garance, yes, got the insert and read it...I was getting most of the side affects, at least the "mild" ones. it was the rash that did it, and made her take me off of it. Still haven't opened up Great Glutes, but I did finally sell the 2nd step one. Now all that I didn't like from this set are sold. Agree with Lori, very hardy and brave to get that tree in this weather!

Lori, poor dogs in this weather. Ours have not had a walk in over a week!

Judy, I sure hope that manager gets approval to offer you more money. Your experience is well worth it. Just think of the time and money they will save in training alone.

Hi to Josie,

Stay warm!

This morning I did Party Rockin' Step 2 (53 min.).

Deb, I think you would like Great Glutes. The pace is very deliberate and she uses a variety of techniques--standing work with 8 lb. weights, sliding disks, floor work, and a chair (I don't do the ball work because it just slides around too much for me on the carpet). You could probably break it down easily to one or two sections. Now I can't wait for the next season of DM. I'm pretty sure there will be one, because the final episode ends with things, as usual, not completely resolved, and some new story lines to follow. Gosh, I hope these new meds work for you. You have really been through a lot with this. My younger son also gets a rash from some meds--I think from Percocet.

Valerie, I never saw Brubaker, or if I did, I certainly don't remember it. You might try Not Your Daughter's Jeans (NYDJ). If you can find them at 6pm.com, you can get a good price. I thought, though, that you were happy with jeans from L.L. Bean (?). Running downhill always felt hard on my knees. You can buy episodes at Amazon for $2.99. I agree with Deb on Amazon Prime--lots of free videos and movies--and you can stream them on your computer or at home on the TV

Lori, Max gets so much exercise following DH around the farm, and he runs like a maniac when he sees me coming home--this big circuit up to the barn, down through the trees, then around our driveway, stopping under some bushes for a good scratch on his back. Hilarious! We put up our tree last night and it went up so easily it must have been meant for us. It has settled, so tonight some serious decorating to do. I was hoping to head to the mall to see the hobbit movie, but it's too snowy. Maybe tomorrow.

Judy, that really seems like pocket change to me, but maybe that's all you're looking for? A bit of extra cash for personal stuff?

Hi to lucky Josie in warm LA!

Good evening ladies...

Today is my rest day for the week. Left early today due to the snow and the drive home was stressful so just need to relax tonight.

Deb...hopefully you are finaly on the right track! Yes our poor doggies. Not only has it been to cold for chester there is no place to walk now with all the snow. We will try and run in the yard with him to get him some exercise to hold him over.

I agree with Lynda too about Great Glutes it is a great workout and I think the most weights you use is 8lbs. I think there are some good premixes too.

Lynda...we have an artificial tree. It's actually an optical one I think it is called. The lights glow on an off. No wires. One of our cats kept eating our lights so this is what it has come to in order to have a tree! We are used to it now so it is fine.

Valerie..I also have heard NYDJ are very good. They are expensive but I am told worth it. Right now I have been wearing Macy's I.N.C jeans or JCPenny's A.N.A brand. Both work well for me.

Judy..hoping they come back with more for you! Wish you luck!

Hi to Josie!!

It is sooooo cold here and they guys are out snow blowing and I am inside by the fire typing this. I kind of feel guilty! I'll make them some hot chocolate when they come in. ;)

I made a list of jeans last time we all talked about them, and am working my way thru the list. I also heard eddie bauer curvy fit. the NYDJ I will try next time I'm in macys. ( 6pm.com is not familiar to me) the outlet malls are SO BUSY right now so I will wait a little. I am fine with the LL Bean jeans for everyday though they are definitely more of a "mom" jean. at least they stay up, and I can bend over without the awful butt exposure that seems to come with low rise. my proportions are wrong for the current styling. If I can get them up, the waistline gaps and I don't like to wear a belt all the time.

Deb, those are not anything weird or extreme. just unlucky for you , I guess. the only one I've taken of that bunch is cipro, but I haven't needed any antibiotics for a long time. I'm allergic to tetracyclines though... got a severe sunburn and then a nasty itchy rash, so I know what you're talking about. that was worse than whatever I was taking the antibiotics for to begin with! Hope your UTI is at least getting resolved.

Went to yoga this morning, then DH and I went mt biking for about 2 hours. my leg got better as the day went, just a sore muscle from downhill. my neck is about 98% OK now but I don't want to re-tweak it. that was SO uncomfortable.

Ok I will admit that I haven't a clue on how streaming works. I know that Netflix separated streaming from thru-the-mail rentals. you now pay for both if you want both. the issue was way fewer things available for streaming than mail rental. I don't want to pay double. I do not have a clue about how to set it up. computer is not connected to TV in any way. DH will need to do that, I gave up on TV related things years ago. the multiple remotes defeated me.

Hi Everyone,

I did an 80 minute Spinerval this morning.

Deb-I had a reaction to an antibiotic I was taking a couple of years ago, I think it was Clarithromycin, or something like that. I had a rash and had to stop taking it.

Lynda-yes, it's not a lot of money and it is really just for extra spending money. At 10-15 hours a week my paycheck (every 2 weeks) isn't very big.

Lori-thanks! I hope I hear from her tomorrow. We'll see.

Valerie-I've been wearing Express jeans for a few years now and I really like them. Gap is ok too, but Express has been best for me.

Hi to Josie!

Judy

Good morning and Happy Hump Day!

Glad everyone is surviving the east coast freeze. East coast includes Michigan on my map :).

Valerie, I really like Lucky jeans, but unless you know the exact style, you need to go to a store and try on the different ones. I hear you on the low rise, besides the "reveal" some are just darn uncomfortable. We have a Lucky store in our local outlet mall so not hard to go try on different ones. If you purchase a lot from Amazon, the prime yearly cost pays for itself. If not, then like someone mentioned, you can stream single seasons for little $$...Did I remember correctly that you have an iPad? Go on to Amazon.com and look at the info on Amazon Prime, it's pretty easy to do, ( even I can do it! and I am not so technically inclined :))...All you do is put the Amazon Prime ap on your iPad and it is pretty simple after that. You have a "watch list" that your selections go to, and they just sit there until you finish watching them.

Garance, maybe if I am feeling better Sunday I will start the week out with Great Glutes. I can sure use some exercise. Love hearing "Max" stories. I always say that he could not have ended up in a better home! So suited for his breed etc. The perfect match.

Lori, John had to take the snow blower and make a circle path in our yard so the dogs had somewhere to go. they run around it like a race track, chasing each other. That is all the exercise they have been getting.

Judy, are you still doing the Spinerval challenge?

Hi to Josie,

Not too much going on here, work, then home to relax. I am skipping class again tonight, can't depend on how I will feel once I get there.

Express jeans don't ring a bell for me... I'm not much of a shopper. I do mail order so I don't have to. Deb, the Lucky jeans were "Sofia". they were supposedly a 30in inseam but too long though often 30 inch is OK for me. the thighs were snug and then the top was loose, so if I bent over they slide down to expose the entire butt... clearly NOT OK!! though DH thought it was cute. these were not stretch ones. this is pretty much the story with any "non mom" jeans I've tried and really, my legs are not going to "lean out" as the expression goes. been trying that for 50 ( yes, 50) years now so not going to happen. I swear they make clothes to fit people with pencil legs and larger middle sections and that is not me.

Deb, no I don't have an ipad. we have a laptop. how does it get from the ipad to your TV? or do you watch it on the ipad? oh excuse me... I am really stupid about this. I'll look at amazon prime info in case the secret is revealed there. I keep hearing people use game consoles like Xboxes ( would not know one if I tripped over it) but neither of us play games nor want to spend $500. must be another way. I know the Netflix route didn't seem good ... people are always complaining about movies/series that aren't available for streaming. I don't want to pay for both services.
I looked at Prime.. don't have any devices... no game console, blue ray, or kindle. our TV is plasma 10+ years old. it has a couple cable connected boxes with several( 2-3) remotes. I am the first to admit I don't do well with electronic stuff.

we are looking for a second kitty to add so our little guy has company while we travel. looked at one shelter yesterday. found one that might work. we want a younger female who's friendly and not too big. wow, there are a lot of 20 lb cats out there!

Last edited:

This morning I did XTrain bis and tris (45:34).

I went to see the hobbit film this afternoon. Another cliffhanger. I enjoyed it thoroughly, especially Martin Freeman as Bilbo. Jackson is certainly making these films a lot darker than the original story.

Deb, are you feeling better yet? I had no idea UTIs were that bad. I hope I never get one.

Lori, when our guys were little, we put the tree in the playpen to keep it out of reach. Our youngest would just sit and gaze raptly at it in the mornings. I love real trees. They all have different personalities. Last year was short and stout. This year is more stately and much taller. I agree with you on driving yesterday evening. Very slippery. I have an AWD Honda CRV and we just bought new tires, so I felt pretty good and just went slowly. I'm happy, though, that my office is just a little over 2 miles from home and it sounds like you have a longer commute.

Valerie, good luck on jeans shopping! NYDJ has a pretty high rise, so you might be okay. We have Amazon on our cable subscription I think, because if I go to DVD, a whole menu of options, including Amazon, shows up, and then I sign in to my Amazon Prime account.

Hi to Judy and Josie!

Hi Everyone,

Deb-At this point, I am following the Spinerval challenge schedule when I can, but I won't be able to do all of the workouts. I'm ok with up to a 2 hour ride, but the weekend rides are 3-5 hours and I just can't do those right now. Last year I was much better prepared when the challenge started but this year I wasn't prepared at all.

Valerie-Here is Express:
Express | Shop Men's and Women's Clothing
I like their boot cut jeans.

That's a great idea to get a second kitty!

This morning I did Core Max workout 1, KPC Cardio Conditioning Premix and Legs & Glutes. I love the Legs & Glutes workout, that was tough!

Hi to Lori, Lynda & Josie,

Judy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.