Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 11/25

fox2star

Cathlete
Good morning,

Today I did KCM's Plateau Busters pre-mix with all DB work only, she does both workouts, but no cardio. I upped my weights to 10 for the heavy and 7 for the light. Only had to switch to 5's at the very end for the last exercise.

Joan, like Valerie said, 5 pounds is good, and the day after Thanksgiving was probably not the best day to weigh in. I bet next time it's even more.

The new stylist was at a different salon. I guess I can stop going there all together, however would need to find somewhere for DH to get his hair cut, ( I know he won't go there if I don't go any longer, too uncomfortable, and he wouldn't want to answer any questions, which he would get for sure). I did this before, but the stylist was very annoying, and she was a PITA, always running late, all kinds of personal drama etc. John and I both just stopped going to her. That is when we started with the one we have now. I wonder if I can keep this one doing my color/highlights, and maybe a bottom trim only, then have the other one do the actual layers etc? I'm sure she would be able to tell.

Valerie, good job on GS and upping the weights! Have you tried doing a search on all recipies.com for squash ideas?

Garance, what have you been up to this weekend?

Lots to do around here today, and dreading going back to work tomorrow..:(

Hope everyone has a nice weekend.

Hi Deb and any later posters--

This morning I did the Plateau Busters, both workouts (45 min.). I am wearing my 1lb. gloves with 5s and 10s.

Went to see the Life of Pi yesterday. It's very beautiful and in 3D, but I find the "messages" about life, belief, the meaning of suffering all a bit pretentious. On the other hand, one could just say this is a film about film because the images are so very striking and finely wrought by Lee and his cinematographer. If you read the book and liked it, you will probably be happy with the film. I, on the other hand, couldn't finish the book.

Valerie, if you go to the LiveKellyandMichael.com site and look under recipes, you will find the pumpkin pudding crunch. It's easy, but high calorie and very tasty. I do a lot of butternut squash soups, but I don't know if they would work with your squash. Too bad you aren't raising a few pigs. They LOVE squash!

Joan, it sounds like the gym is doing wonders for you. Keep up the hard work.

Deb, I recently changed to another hairdresser because my old one just kept me waiting too many times. I don't know if it was her fault or the woman who makes the appointments, but the last time, I could see that I would be waiting for well over an hour, and it always takes about 90 min. to do highlights, so I just left. Life is too short, and the place was always so noisy I couldn't sit there for that long. I say, do whatever feels right. DH still goes to her for his haircuts, but she doesn't ask any questions--probably because she knows why I decided to see someone else.

Good morning,

Today I did a 35 minute I-Tread.

Lynda, at least you had a good reason, ( explainable) to leave that hair dresser. I don't want to hurt her feelings by telling her I don't like the way she cuts hair. I never heard of that movie. Are you going to see Lincoln? My cousin said it was good.

Hi to Josie, Valerie and Joan,

It's back to work for me ....ugh. So nice being off. Retirement is calling me.

Hi Deb and any later posters--

This morning I did KCM's Cardio Quick Fix, both (45 min.).

Deb, the movie is based on a bestselling book of the same name. Yes, I am definitely seeing the Lincoln movie. The script is by Tony Kushner, directed by Spielberg, and it's supposed to be a "political thriller" about whether or not Lincoln can get the 13th Amendment abolishing slavery passed. Even if the north won the Civil War, there was no guarantee that slavery would be abolished. I also want to see the Silver Linings Playbook, which has received very positive reviews.

[I don't know who the last poster is, but go away if you are just harassing us or trying to hack into our accounts.]

This morning I did HIIT pyramid followed by crossfire premix fitness blast & firewalker tabata. Then for arms cardio kick's drills. My legs were fried but I felt great. My husband and I went and saw Lincoln over the weekend. A great great movie. Oscar performances!

Well, that is quite a string of workouts in one session, isn't it? Do you want to join our thread? Please introduce yourself.

Yesterday we did a 25 mile bike ride, and it was cold. I forget if I posted it on last week's thread. I'm having ongoing problems with the padding in my shorts not doing it's job. I tried the padding inside my tights, and yesterday wore the padded shorts outside the tights, but took them off before the end iof the ride because they were worse than nothing. Josie, have you every had problems with the padding getting way out of place? It seems to be riding forward and i causing irritation. better no padding than this.

today it was sunny so we did a snowshoe, about 4 hours up and back. the snow was very crusty and hard to walk on even with snowshoes. Nice but a lot of work. Lovely views of snow capped volcanos, right up close. mt baker and mt shuksan.

I'm looking more for main dish, soup, or vegie side dishes for the squash rather than desserts. all winter squash types can be used pretty much interchangeably... it's a little moister than butternut but tastes similar. No pigs get this squash! they could have had the under ripe ones... I'll take a look at the pudding... may want something for christmas that's different.

Deb, maybe you could alternate once or twice more and make sure this new person will be a reliable performer... then if you decide she is definitely better, you will have been there a little less oftne already, and won't be so noticeably absent. I'd take you DH with you to the new place, if that works.

Sorry was way to quick with the send button! Anyway been working out with Cathe since 1994. I have always considered her my personal trainer! I joined these forums when she first started them but never really did anything with then until recently. Now i can not get enough and love seeing and reading all the post. So much motivation!!!

Good morning!

Welcome Lori! We are always glad to have another one to help motivate and to motivate us! You sure did a lot of various workouts yesterday, good job! How long do you generally exercise?

No workout today, late class last night.

Lynda, you scared that strange poster away! ( actually I see that SNM is trying to rid us of whoever they are). I too want to see the Lincoln movie, and I think it is one that I can "drag" DH to because he is a history buff and loves anything to do with the Civil War.

Valerie, you amaze me with what you do outdoors...snowshoe for 4 hours?? I would definitely want to know the calorie burn from that one..but again, you know how I am about measuring and logging LOL I guess I have never felt the need for padded shorts yet, but then again, I have not ridden as far as you or Josie do. I hope she has a suggestion for you, that really sounds uncomfortable. Maybe the people at the bike store would know? I like your suggestion on the hair dilemma....I was thinking of alternating, having the current one do the color/hightlights, maybe a bottom trim, then go to the new one for the complete cut....and kind of work my way out of hair cuts with the current one that way. We'll see. I have until 12/22 to think about it...that is my next apt.

Looking forward to a nice relaxing evening, no where to be, etc

Take care,

Deb, I reported the other post in some language other than english as spam. there have been a few similar ones lately. another bioard I post on has had the same issue on and off.

welcome Lori.. we're all in our 50's and 60's. tell us more about yourself.. what are your favorite workouts? we do cathe workouts plus other things. no couch potatoes here.

Deb, it was about 2 hours up,then 20 min sitting the snow eating snacks/lunch absorbing sun and the view, then 1 1/2 hrs down. we went about 5 miles RT. we'd hoped to hike the trail at the end of the road but could not drive to the trailhead because of snow. snow levels are not consistent right now but in this area about 3000 feet in elevation. the snow itself was challenging. looked light and fluffy but there was a thick crust underneath that cracked, broke thru with every step leaving big chunks of crusty snow in our path. so we were behind each other but each of us ended up breaking trail. the way down was easier. a lovely day but we were both pooped, not the distance but the snow conditions.
I never used to wear opadded shorts but since we started riding again I thought I'd try. my summer weight shorts work pretty well but when I need to layer things it seems to cause issues. I had a pair of windproof tights on with separate padded shorts "over" and the padding kept working itself forwardn until I finally took them off and rode in just the thin tights.

off to yoga.

Hi Ladies,

Back to work today  The kids left yesterday morning and after that my DB and I went out and got mani/pedies. He had not had one for years and was so excited. After, we went to lunch and my DD joined us.

I have not worked out since last Wednesday, but when I weighed myself this morning I had not gained any weight. I will be spinning at lunch today and doing a sculpt class in the evening.

Valerie, Canary has winter padded pants that would be good for you. The reason that the padding moves is due to the tights. You are not supposed to wear anything under the pad, just your butt butter ;)

Joan, congratulation on your weight loss!

Lori, welcome to our group.

Deb, I’m so glad that I don’t have to deal with highlights and coloring for my hair. I go to a barbershop and have done it for the last 20 years.

Hi to Garance!

Josie

Hi Deb, Josie, Joan, Valerie, and welcome Lori!

This morning I did the upperbody premix on High Reps (39 min.).

Valerie, I wish we did get some snow this year for snowshoeing. None last year, and so far, nothing but dust here. I always overestimate how much clothing to layer on when I snowshoe and I get really warm. It's great exercise. If you go to epicurious.com, I bet you can find some vegetarian main courses with squash. They have a lot of squash soup recipes.

Wow, Lori, that's a lot of exercise at one time! I could only do the 39 minute premix on Crossfire for low impact, so I sold it on Amazon. I don't much care for To the Max either because of all the high impact stuff. I've been with Cathe since the 1980s and have her very first step videos. A whole lot of whooping on those early ones. There is a really cheesy one with a beach like setting in the background--the first one, I believe, with Cedie, who is very, very bleached blonde in that one.

Deb, I guess I scared IT off. I just thought it was weird.

Hi to Josie and Joan!

Thanks for the warm welcome! Yes it was a tough workout and I really pushed myself. As far as time it really was only about 50 minutes start to finish and it went by quick. Just very intense! I am looking forward to chatting with you all!

Lori

LOL! I just noticed this and loved it!....
"welcome Lori.. we're all in our 50's and 60's. tell us more about yourself.. what are your favorite workouts? we do cathe workouts plus other things. no couch potatoes here."

I am 51 and far from a couch potato! I feel I have way to much energy and always have to be doing something. I have been working out with Cathe since 1994. I have never belonged to a gym and have always worked out at home. I love spending time with my husband and son. My son is 21 so I treasure when we get together. As far as my favorite workout right now I am LOVING Atheltic Training, HIIT and Crossfire. In June of this year I tried out P90X and I really enjoyed it. I am proud to say @ 51 I am a P90X Grad!! The workout was great but now that I have done it don't need to continue as I love my Cathe workouts which are just as tough in my opinion. I have preordered Xtrain and it can not come soon enough!

Lori

Josie, right now I'm trying combos for cold. these are windproof tights. I'm wearing padded underwear, Canary brand.
first, I tried padded undies under the tights. padding worked itself up/ forward so I'm pushed off the bike seat in the front. next time I tried the tights wuth padded undies over, but the same thing happened. padding moves forward and upward so I can't sit on the seat right. at least with the undies on the outside ( they're black so aren't obvious) I could stop and take them off.
I haven't found tights or pants with "built in" padding short enough for me, 5'2", 28" inseam. if they exist, I'll keep looking. I have chamois butter but neither of us felt it helped. if anything, it made things worse with the shorts being more mobile. I have beefy legs & need to size up to get a fit on thighs, so the upper parts of shorts/undies are often too large, and maybe that's the issue. these tights are too long but I can roll the lower legs "under' so they're not hanging past my toes.

Lynda, we start out on the cold side. as we go we unzip, remove a layer, or remove hats, gloves. after a half an hour you're warm! snowshoeing is like xc sking. when we stop for lunch, we immediately zip up, layer up, plus a puff jacket. It takes some experimentation... you want to be warm enough but not sweaty because you get really cold quickly when you stop. especially if you sit & eat. we wear synthetic materials, no cotton. wool has had a popular resurgence but both DH and I get itchy from wool, except for socks. I use nylon, waterproof breathable, polyester, fleece. a warm hat makes an amazing difference, as does a neck gaiter when it's real cold. you need a backpack or you'll lose things! we always carry enough stuff to survive an unplanned night out in the snow should there be some kind of disaster. It takes a lot of planning at first. now we know what we need, but error to the side of "more" rather than "less".

Good morning,

Today I did a KCM Plateau Busters workout, only 25 minutes, but at least I did it. I am now down 5 pounds from when I seriously got back to good eating, happy about that. I am using MyFitness Pal and it seems to be helping me keep on track.

Valerie, How is the yoga going?

Josie, love mani/pedi parties! I took my friend for her first pedi, and we had such a great time. Sometimes I wish I could just cut all my hair off and be done with it!

Lynda, don't wish for snow!! I could go all winter without a flake. I hope we have the same winter we had last year.

Lori, yes Welcome! I'm probably the newest one to Cathe of this group. I don't even remember how I stumbled on to her workouts, because no one I know has ever heard of her. I am so glad I did though, and coming here for encouragement and advice has been one of the best parts of it.

Off to shower and get ready for another wonderful day!

Hi Deb, Josie, Joan, Valerie, and Lori--

This morning I did Afterburn (54 min.).

Deb, good for you on the weight loss! Now, if you can get through the temptations of the holidays, you will be home free for the new year. Ahh, I do want some snow or it just doesn't feel right. We did get some last year, but it melted almost immediately so I never had the opportunity to snowshoe.

Lori, I think I am the oldest one here--just turned 66--but I have been on this check-in since I was in my 50s. I retired last year from being a professor of English, but I continue to do some writing and speaking. I have 2 sons, 28 and 30, and my husband is a farmer who raises grass-fed beef, free range chickens, and pigs, who are also free range. Deb and I are in the east, while Valerie and Josie are out west, and Joan is in the middle (MO).

ttfn

Yes, Deb, congrats on the weight loss. especially hard this time of year with all the food that seems to get pushed at you. I try to reserve some calories for really good things, and pass by the junk that gets offered too often. I haven't weighed since the CA trip but clothes fit the same so I think I'm good.
We got up early and did a hike today, before the rain moved in this afternoon. It was a shorter one, 4 miles RT took about 3 1/2 hours. some snow and ice, not a lot. most of the longer ones are snowy now and many trailheads can't be driven to anymore. this one is close in and lower so still accessible. a real hike though with plenty of "up" and then plenty of "down".

Lori, I'm going to be 65 soon and have been doing Cathe for a few years now. I mix it in with hiking biking, xc skiing, snowshoeing, yoga, and use Cathe especially when weather interferes with my outdoor activities. Love her weight training stuff. Do you have STS?

I am still learning names so please bear with me...

Garance...I am in the east too. Oh to live in the west!

Traildoggie..I do not have STS. I never really concentrated on weights until I did P90x. Now I am hooked. I have bought quite a few Cathe weight workouts thru the years but never stuck with them. Now I am so into it. I ordered xtrain and can't wait for it. Wasn't sure if getting the STS would be overkill. What are your thoughts on this?

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.