Pentagenarians & Beyond: W?B 10/3

fox2star

Cathlete
Good morning,
picklewave.gif

I did Pure Strength Chest, Shoulders, & Triceps this morning. I think I will have to concentrate on upper body stuff, but I am worried about not doing any cardio at all and the weight starting to pile on. John is much better, it must have been some type of bug, since we cannot figure out if it was food poisoning, what he could have eaten.

DH was feeling a lot better yesterday afternoon, we did go to the play, Forever Plaid. It was pretty good, especially for our age group. Any younger and you would not have recognized the songs, or gotten the jokes. Especially this whole thing they did on the Ed Sullivan show. :D

It is rainy and cold here today, we are off to a the 3 year old's birthday party later,

Later,..

Hi Deb and any later posters--

I did KCM's Cardio/Sculpt Fitness (70 min.).

Wow, Deb, I checked on the old thread and saw the scare John gave you. I'm so happy he is feeling better. You're right--it must have been a bug--or you would be able to track down whatever poisoned him.

When I fractured my ankle all I could do for quite awhile was upperbody weights. I did not put on any weight, though, so I wouldn't be too alarmed by this temporary leave from cardio. Increasingly I think weight is related to diet and very little to exercise.

I'm still grading papers. More meetings this week. I'm feeling sorry for myself.

Deb, glad DH is doing better. that is so scary. food poisoning is hard to track. most people don't remember what or where they ate prior to the problem, and then the cause is eaten.

Lynda, I agree about diet vs exercise. I watch closely what I eat and I'm sorry to say that if I'm not hungry (at least some of the time) I'm gaining. at best I'm maintaining. there are the blasted nasty genetic factors, and I have obese relatives and type 2 diabetes all over the place. I exercise a LOT of total hours in a week and although fit, I still struggle with weight control. Over the years I've had to cut back more and more since I apparently am burning fewer calories even though I exercise more than ever. weight training vs cardio, seems to make no difference. Hoped weight training would be different but not so far.

Watched a movie last night called 'Away We Go" that was unexpectedly enjoyable. I think you'll like it. both DH and I did. neither of us remembers putting it on the queue so I don't know where I got the title. some well known people in it ( maggie gyllenhaal, catherine o'hara, Jeff ???) but in smaller parts. It's so nice to be pleasantly surprised.

Good evening,

We parked 3 miles from football stadium so that was my exercise today. We walked through Taste of St Louis on the way back after the game but I was good and didn't get anything.

Dh will be in California on business all week. It should be a little easier to stay on diet.

Mil is in hospital again with urinary track infection. I know it is hard to keep from getting infection but why don't they catch it before it gets so bad?

Joan

Monday

Good morning,

No workout today, as it normally would be a cardio day. Feeling DOMS from the upper body workout I did yesterday, a good thing.

Garance, I agree, weight is 80% diet, the other 20% has to be calorie deficit, either by burning them exercising or cutting down. I don't think I can cut down too much more. I don't count calories, but when I did for quite a while on this plan I am on, I ate around 1500-1600 a day. That was with all the cardio etc. I would be happy to maintain where I am until this toe is better.

Valerie, it seems like you are the "exception to the rule" in your family. Good for you for being aware and doing something about it.

Joan, my good friend's mother gets UTI's all the time. She has one now. Do you think it has something to do with being immobile? Did you decide not to take that trip to LV by yourself?

Hi to Cathy & Josie,

Take care,

thanks Deb, yep I'm the exception but sometimes it's still hard work. I love food and I've gone as low fat as is reasonable. still, always look for areas to cut. won't give up olive oil vinaigrette salad dressing -quantity modest. in general, don't like / use artificial sweeteners. (drink maybe 1 can a week of diet 7) the latest thing to cut is dessert. we were eating a skinny cow ice cream bar, 100 cal, for dessert often this summer but am cutting that out. special occasions only. but enough whining....

I did a limited upper body and core workout yesterday and the wrist is getting better. did a 25 mile ride saturday and it got sore from the vibration on a rough road. yardmax on sunday. so we're riding a smoother road today, and then maybe will do a full upper body. did NOT want to overdo. yard work was lots of shoveling and raking and it came thru all that without getting sore. I will try hard not to fall again!

Hi Deb, Josie, Joan, Cathy, and Valerie--

This morning I did Cathe's Step Moves (44 min.). The choreo came right back, even though I have not done this one in a long time. I've decided to do at least one step every week and now I've done 2 (KCM's Cardio Sculpt is step too.) because it really is a great cardio workout.

Valerie, I saw Away We Go quite awhile ago and liked it, too--with Maya Rudolph and John Krasinski from The Office. I have an Almodovar film at home that I haven't looked at yet--with Penelope Cruz, of course. I like some of his films, but not all.

Joan, good for you on passing by the food, which probably gets those olfactory and salivary glands going--just walk on by! When you say "why don't they catch it before it gets so bad," are you referring to the nursing home staff? Does she tell them when she has symptoms?

Deb, it's really pathetic, isn't it on calorie intake? It was after my hysterectomy that I suddenly started packing on the pounds even though I was eating my normal diet. I felt like I woke up one morning 15 lbs. heavier, and then I could not get rid of those lbs. until I did South Beach, and now I have to be super-vigilant. I call it the "new Normal." Also No Fun very often. My problem is that I love to cook. I just have very tiny portions of some of my calorie-rich dishes.

Hi to Josie and Cathy!

Lynda, I've never watched The Office, did not know/recognize the 2 main actors at all. but a funny, pleasant film. so many rom-coms are awful I always worry renting them.

Joan, I'm not an expert here but UTI's are really really common in older women. some reasons are... they tend not to drink enough fluids and get "dry", meaning dehydrated. as mobility gets more difficult they don't want to get up and walk to the bathroom etc. many are on anti hypertension drugs which tends to dry them out too. makes for a poor fluid cycle going in and out of the bladder. also, after menopause external genital area tends to atrophy allowing easier cross contamination, and women already have a short distance from the bladder to externally. childbirth and hysterectomies also can tweak things around too. any incontinence issues ... urine is a good place for bacteria to grow. plus antibiotics have been so overused (especially in livestock), that bacteria that used to be zapped almost instantly now take more complicated and often several courses of treatment to "cure". the bugs are getting resistant! I'm sure there are more reasons, but that's a few. Too bad, UTI's are miserable. Hope she's doing OK.

Tuesday

Good morning,

A nice cool morning, the kind that makes you want to stay in bed under the covers. It is really fall now.

Did anyone look at the video clips of the new workouts? I am glad that I only ordered the STS one. It seems like it is at a frantic pace, I'm hoping that is only the way they made the clip.

Valerie, I am convinced that all the artificial stuff we have been inundated with over the last 30 years has taken it's toll on our health. I used to use stuff like "I can't Believe it's Not Butter" spray, but since my new eating style and all the reading, the stuff in those things is horrid. A pat of real butter once in a while is not going to kill you, but those chemicals will. Ok, off my soap box now..;)..how you described the UTI's in older women is exactly what is happening to my friend's Mom.

Garance, I wish I could do Cathe's step routines, just too complicated me me, I don't have the patience to learn them. I'm a Gin Miller type step person. Yeah, menopause will do a number on your metabolism, that's for sure. I like your way, tiny portions of what you really like. If you have the will power to only have a small portion, that is the way to go.

Hi to Josie, Cathy & Joan,

Take care,

Deb, I hear you! I keep our kitchen and frig clear of weird, pre-packaged foods and over processed foods. not 100%. I lighten up a little when we are car camping but even then we eat mostly "real" food. I think the final product tastes much better when you start with real food.

My mother has constant UTI's since she had a hysterectomy 30 yrs ago, and she doesn't drink enough, won't walk, gets dehydrated from meds. we are trying to keep her out of kidney failure. Her legs swell, she gets put on more diuretics, swelling goes down but her renal function is poor. so it's a seesaw back and forth. and she has a constant incurable UTI. more later, yoga day.

This morning I did P-57 Express for legs (30 min.) plus 2 miles with Leslie.

Deb, I looked at the Intensity clip and was so glad I did not do the presale. The first six minutes look like non-stop jumping of the same kind as she does in countless other dvds, and when she finally shifts to some low-impact moves, it looks kind of boring. The cover also makes Cathe look kind of crazy. I have not looked at the other clips yet--too busy--but I just feel like I have plenty of her weight workouts and don't need more. I think I will start up STS again in January after my slow build up with weights after my elbow. I'm totally with Julia Child on butter--and I guess on everything else culinary, too! She was in her 90s when she died, so the rich food did not kill her.

You know, I have never had a UTI--knock on wood! Sounds like something else plaguing women as they age.

Long afternoon teaching, but at least I'm done with paper-grading for a few days.

A lot of the UTI issue is anatomy. women have a short urethra compared to men, doesn't take bacteria much distance to migrate up and into the bladder especially with the atrophy that often comes with aging, (I was plagued with UTI's when I was a kid but very suddenly "outgrew" the problem). back in the 50's a simple antibiotic killed everything in a NY minute! these days antibiotics are losing effectiveness overall, and people who keep having repeat infections tend to select out more resistant infections cause the antibiotics kill off all but a few resistant bugs, which then gain a foothold and multiply. all our 3 orifices are fairly close together and it's pretty easy to cross contaminate with the back and forth motion of underwear ( or Depends). not to mention type 2 diabetes. the overflow sugar that ends up in the urine if diabetes is not well controlled is great food for bacteria.

But enough about pee and it's problems!

Did our reg 35 miles bike ride yesterday. we sat in the sun midway for a snack so it took us 3 hours but was a gorgeous fall day. My wrist is still sore but decent enough for riding and more upper body stuff. I will be easing back in with weight choices too, as it's been close to a month since I've done a full upper body workout. Guess I will take a look at the clips from the new disks today. Hope I like what I see.

I use some real butter especially on fresh corn or for the limited baking I do these days. I seem to be sensitive to fat in my diet... shouldn't even bother chewing, just apply it directly to my thighs... I use fat free or reduced fat, though I look to see if the fat has been replaced with something weird. my blood sugar tanks without carbs so I never do south beach or adkins type programs.

I looked at the clips. intensity looks like it could be troublesome as I don't have a decent step but you're right, it does seem pretty intense and fairly "jumpy". that one was the least likely to appeal to me, but it cost almost as much to order 3 disks so I did the 4 and see if it works for me.

Got Shopmax done for the day and will have an hour free to squeeze in a back/bicep workout.

hey ya'll, hope all are well, kinda busy, and have g/kids for the next few days , so will bbl.
cathy

I found out that the nursing home was giving her antibiotics. It wasn't her normal urinary tract infection but a bacterial infection.

I did get 1hr on treadmill. Just can't get enthusiasm to lift.

I did get all bathroom trim painted tonight and marble goes in tomorrow.

Joan

Wednesday

Good morning,

Up early, I could not go back to sleep after waking at 4:30. Lots on my mind about the upcoming Washington trip. Lots to do, pack, make sure the bird sitter is all set, and the dog sitter is all set. John and I are trying to figure out what to do on Saturday pm and Sunday while we have time alone before the work starts for me. We are supposed to do the "stompin' the halls of Congress" again, but I am not sure my foot should be put through that. I would definitely have to wear the boot the whole time. :confused:

Garance, I agree on the new workouts, I was kind of tempted to order the High Reps one, along with the STS one, but did not. I think I will like the STS one because of the pre-mixes. I do have a lot of Cathe weight workuouts, but need something fresh and new to get me motivated. I have been doing Pure Strength upper body ones and I like them. I don't want another endurance workout like Muscle Endurance, etc.

Valerie, so you pre-ordered the whole set? Can you tell me what kind of bike you have? is there a pic or link to see what it looks like? I have been thinking about DH and I starting some type of thing that we can do together and he likes bike riding. I would need a new bike, we both probably would. I have a Raleigh ( sp?) 10 speed that is about 30 years old!

Joan, good job on the workout, with all that you have going on!

Cathy, have fun with the G/kids!

Josie, what is up with you? is work keeping you really busy?

Take care,

This morning I did Jazzercise Dancin' Abs (60 min.).

My office is a total mess so I will be spending at least part of my afternoon cleaning it up. When I get very busy, I end up with papers and books and mail everywhere. One more meeting tomorrow afternoon, and I have a feeling it will be ugly. There is one colleague who clearly does not want to support giving tenure to someone coming up and seems eager to attack everything this person has done.

Deb, I thought Congress was all done before the elections and everyone had gone home to try to convince their constituents they had done a good job (that's a joke). Do they leave their aides behind to meet with you? I'm sure you will have a great time eating out--I remember liking a lot of restaurants in D.C. Always museums to take in.

I don't even particularly want to look at the clips for the new workouts. I could see that there's more new equipment to buy for one of them--little sliding disks for the feet--and like the tower, they won't be available for purchase until later. I guess I will wait for reviews to start coming in and see if I read something intriguing. I think I will pull out my Jari Love next week and up my weights a bit (I'm up to 5s, 8s, and 10s).

Sounds like everyone is very busy. Me too.

Thursday

Good morning all,

It is cool here, in the 50's but it is supposed to go up to 65, then be sunny and nice for the next 3 days. It figures, we would get a beautiful weekend when I am away. It would be perfect weather to take down all the garden stuff etc. Oh well, hopefully next weekend will be nice too.

Garance, yes, the fools in Congress will be back in their home states begging for votes. We see the staffers that are left behind to "man" the office. John wants to go to a Lebanese restaurant that is walking distance from the hotel. We think we are going to to to the Postal Museum on Sunday, hopefully not too much walking. The subway station is right outside the hotel, and it lets you off right at the museum so it should not be too bad for me to hobble around at.

I don't think there will be any new equipment needed for STS total body, just the stuff we already have. I used a cheap paper plate for the real STS and plan on using one again.

What is everyone else up to? It was pretty quiet around here yesterday.

This morning I did BBL Sculpt (48 min.).

Yesterday turned into a media blitz in Plath-Hughes land.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-11489522

A new poem discovered in the British Library by Hughes about his final meeting with Plath: "Last Letter." Pretty harrowing. Even DH heard about it on NPR this morning while he was gathering up a batch of chickens at 4:30 A.M.

Deb, yes, it looks like a beautiful weekend here as well. I will probably start cleaning up some of my gardens--dead annuals and peonies that need to be cut down to the roots. It will probably be a very long weekend, because it looks like tomorrow is Mountain Day at Williams, and that means our Pres. will cancel classes. Mountain Day is always on one of the first three Fridays in October, and you always grab the best one in terms of weather when it comes along. Then next week is reading period on Monday-Tuesday, so I won't see my classes until next Friday.

What is everyone up to? Something good I hope!

Yes, I ordered the set of 4. the Intensity one is questionable, but the cost difference between 3 or 4 disks was not much so I went ahead with 4. I don't have that many weight workouts, STS and GS series. I ordered them for DH's birthday since he's enjoying doing them, and has restarted STS ahead of me. I did GS back biceps Tuesday, without a problem, so my wrist is back to decent again. pushups were still uncomfortable at yoga that morning so decided to give it a few more days before restarting STS.

we did a moderate 12 mile hike yesterday. a beautiful fall day. I'll try to find some pictures of the area, Cascade Pass. just lovely. This morning we did our usual bike ride but I fell again so that's IT with the cleats. I only got a small bump on my knee but I'm tired of thinking about detaching my feet constantly, and then catching them in the cleat unintentionally anyway. I can use the shoes but I'm going back to regular pedals and toe clips.

Deb, if your bikes are that old you'll probably do better with new ones. technology has changed a lot, getting old ones "tuned up" will be expensive and you'd still have old bikes. we traded ours in for $50 each so they didn't go to the landfill and maybe someone can use them. a bike shop can repair and replace at their leisure and make them usable. they were 25-30 years old. We now have Trek brand road bikes, our mt bikes are Raleigh. there are so many choices now, something perfect for everyone. Decide what kind of riding you think you'll do, and get bikes suited to it. go to a bike shop that's convenient because you'll need service occasionally and getting fit properly is too. . If you use them regularly you want a decent brand ( parts available) and a local shop. we do some of our own stuff, but not all.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.