Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 10/24

fox2star

Cathlete
Good morning,

Today I did one of the pre-mixes from KCM 30 Minutes to Fitness, Weights. This one does rounds of weight exercises, and core 2 minutes of core work in between. Very challenging core work. I also ordered the calendar, got my 20% off coupon and bought the new bands that Cathe has now. I haven't tried them yet, may do Travel Fit and see what the difference is.

Today we have the worker appreciation and dog Halloween party at the dog club. I think it's going to be catered with BBQ...mmm...

Garance, wow, that was the fastest shipping ever! I still think I may get that other stuff you mentioned here...just to try it. I'll let you know how it works.

Valerie, you need to get the Troy bb set...so much easier. I have all those others too, and what a pain they are. I use the bar sometimes ( it's 22 pounds on its own!) for light work, but can't stand screwing on the weights. Doing the Pyramid workouts would drive me nuts.

Hi to Josie, Joan & Cathy!

Take care,

Good morning,

Trip to mil went pretty well. She was asleep when we got there but did wake up. We had a short visit she slept, had another short visit she slept and another short visit then we said goodbye. We were only there about an hour.

Had weigh in today and was the same as last week. That was a big success for me since eating had been out of control a couple of days.

Joan

Hi Deb, Josie, Joan, Cathy, and Valerie--

This morning I did Drill Max, the upperbody and cardio premix (60 min.). Simply couldn't face the whole thing which I think is 78 min.

Deb, the dogfood DH gets from Tractor Supply is Diamond naturals Chicken and Rice mix kibble for adult dogs. Yes, let me know if that other stuff is any good. Probably too good to be true, but it sounded great. Still looking for a good undereye cream.

Joan, your visit to mil sounds like it worked out. She did get to see Luke?

We're going to the Thai restaurant tonight. Yum!

Happy weekend everyone!

Did STS disk 2 yesterday and all went well again, respectable weight level but not pushing the limits. Not sore at all today.

Deb, we have a mish mash... 2 easy curl bars, one threaded and the other not. have 2 dumbbell handles, threaded that DH uses because he goes heavier than I do.
Our plates are older and have center holes slightly smaller than currently available, like 1/4 inch, but that's enough so they don't fit on most current bars. the easy curl bars alone weigh about 15 lbs.
if we want to change things, we'd need to dump everything and start over. we've considered it but haven't. The chain store I bought the plates at went out of business 2 yrs ago. this is some kind of punishment for not buying a full set all at once, but adding things piecemeal. ( maybe I should buy the Pyramid workouts, go nuts screwing and unscrewing, and then, properly motivated, run out and buy a new set??)

Joan, time to jump back on the nutri system program... so far you caught a break but it will catch up to you. Glad MIL was alert enough .

Monday

Good Morning!
picklewave.gif

Today I did Week 1 workout from Couch to 5K. I downloaded a podcast that some guy in California made so that you don't have to watch the timer on the treadmill to know when to run and when to walk Pretty cool.

Joan, glad your MIL was able to see the family.

Garance, thanks for the dog food info. We found a Blue type called Longevity that is only 8% fat. Most of the Blue line is12-15% fat depending on the type. We will be adding boiled chicken to up the protein content. Anything for my girl!:). I can't imagine doing Drill Max. That was one of the first I sold on Ebay..mmm..love Thai!

Valerie, keep the mish mash, and buy the Troy lite set. The bar is very small, I bet all your weights would fit on it. I have 2 different sets of old weights and both fit on this bar. I kept everything, and I am glad I did. Of course I went ahead and ordered the Troy weights too..;)

Josie, what did you do this weekend?

Cathy, did you spend time with the grandkids?

Leaving for DC again tomorrow afternoon, only one night this time though.

Take care,

Deb, I'll try to take a look. I've never come across a Troy Lite set anywhere and I don't trust without measuring myself. I like the shaper of the easy curl bar though. It's always been hard for em to rotate my hands outward enough to grab a straight bar.

I think the holes on our plates are 1" and most newer (non-olympic) bars are 1/4 " inch bigger. maybe 1/8"..... it was enough so the plates would not go on the bar. last time we bought dumbbells we found only *one* brand of plates that fit our bars. I would dearly love to get rid of the screw-on dumbbell handles. they're chrome and shed sharp little filings of chrome all the time that get embedded painfully if you get your bare skin on top of one. I vacuum regularly but they keep shedding and they get caught on carpet just like your skin so are hard to clean up.

This morning I did Jazzercise Dancin' Abs (60 min.).

I watched the new Sherlock Holmes on Masterpiece Theater last night. Very good. They are young and in a contemporary London.

I had 4 pieces of sushi and Thai green curry with pork and veggies. Yum! Nice and spicy too. DH had his usual 4 pieces of sushi and pad thai.

Beautiful here today--it may reach 70 degrees. I just may skip the poetry reading and go home for a long walk with Maxie. Deb, we give Maxie cut up chicken too when DH has the occasional bird that does not look fit to sell. By that, I mean the darn thing has been flapping its wings and they get red when they go to slaughter.

I'm teaching A Question of Silence by Marleen Gorris this week. It's not out on DVD, and it's very feminist. Usually blows my students' minds. Also teaching Plath's bee poems which are very beautiful. October 27 is her birthday (also Dylan Thomas'). She would have been 78.

Have a great Monday, ladies!

Tuesday

Good morning,

No workout today, I tried to sleep in after getting up with Keegan at 2:00 am. I thought he had to go out, he actually wanted a treat. :mad:. We are limiting his treats, he needs to lose a couple of pounds. Also, don't want Kelsey to have them, as they are probably loaded with fat. Until we find a better one, his treats are numbered.

I am flying off today, will be back (landing) at 11:00 Wednesday night. :(.

Garance, mmmm..Green curry is one of my favorite Thai dishes. You could teach Plath with your eyes closed by now!

Valerie, I think the Troy sets are only on line, I have never seen them in a store either. There have been many threads on here about them, just search for barbell and you will see a lot. I did a Google search and came up with a site that has free shipping on a set. Make sure they are the ones with the rubber coated plates. You could probably e-mail them and ask if the bar would work with plates with a 1" diameter hole.

Hi to Joan, Josie, & Cathy,

Back Thursday, not so early though. I think I will sleep in a bit and go into work late.

Take care,

I love Thai food, wish DH liked it more, it's always a battle to get him to go and he gets stuff that's so bland. If there's the slightest hint of fish sauce or heat he doesn't like it. I wish he'd be a little more daring. last night I put a teensy bit of medium salsa on top the polenta pie I'd made (cause I ran out of tomatoes and thought it was a reasonable sub) and well, you'd have thought I'd dumped a can of chipotles on it the way he acted. Had to scrape it off! I never make things anywhere near as spicy as I'd like them but need to add into my portion after.

Anyway, did Disk 3 legs yesterday and the stationary bike for a while. I'm a little sore in the butt this morning but I ripped right thru it. I never could do walls squats (set down and pick up weights version) and it wasn't even a challenge this time. even the paper plates seemed fairly easy. did most of the bonus at the end. those side leg raises are the hardest part of the workout. ( 24 little presses with leg elevated...OMG)

no wonder I never saw Troy lites . thought a national place like Sears might have them but no. I hate Sears anyway. I did find an email address for the troy rep so I could ask what size diameter the bars are and then decide if I can trust him.

Too funny Deb, I guess it's clear who rules in your household! I should say one of my other on-line identities is " cat servant" so I understand perfectly.

This morning I did Ellen Barrett's Slim Sculpt (45 min.). I will probably go on a big hike after teaching this afternoon with Maxie, because it is absolutely gorgeous and Indian summer like weather. Hope I am not assailed by students after class!

I made an incredible soup last night. It was in More mag and called riboletta di crosta. I have a lot of homemade chicken broth and then you saute onions, carrots, celery, rosemary and butternut squash, add diced tomatoes, kale, and broth and dice fontina and grate parmesan, put in individual bowls with crusty bread chunks and bake for 30 min. We also had some leftover ham which I threw in. DH was ecstatic. The other soup recipes look scrumptious.

Oh, Valerie--that's too bad about your husband being opposed to spicy. My husband does not like things as spicy as I do, but I usually find a way to add more to my serving and leave his fairly mild.

Deb, it sounds like you are also Mother Treatsa in your house. Max knows that I am a sucker for those big, brown beggar eyes.

Yoga was good this morning.... the last class. the whole studio is moving to a new location. days and times will be different as will the instructors. so next week it will be a whole new thing. I hope I find a class that fits as well as this one did.

Lynda, that's what I do. I keep spices where we eat so I can amp up my serving. He seems to be getting worse about spicy with age, while I like things hotter than ever. no reflux or other problems, I think he's one of those "super taster" people. He's my "coal mine canary" to tell if the milk is getting old. He doesn't like bitter flavors either. won't eat arugula, frisee, or any tangy salad greens so I need to pick them out of the salad mix. we do agree on mayonnaise and grapefruit, we both hate those. Soup sounds great, I love making a big pot of soup with bread and cheese.

Last week we were hiking in warm sunshine and 70 degrees, this week getting rained on big time, and a couple feet of new snow in the mts. went from summer hiking to winter snowshoeing in 5 days.

howdy, howdy, i am actually here. :) i have been sooo busy, and all day today my computer has been a REAL pain. haven't been able to read all the posts, cuz my dumb computer is taking foreve, so i figured i'd better say hi.
so, hi, hope to be back sometime this week.

Hi Deb in D.C., Josie, Joan, Cathy, and Valerie--

This morning I did Zumba Live Cardio Party (55 min.). Worked up quite a sweat.

This is a crazy week. My procrastinating students are finally getting in touch with me about their final projects and they all want to see me at once. I am trying to do tutorials with my other class, which is very time consuming, but definitely worth it.

Went for a 5 mile hike with Max yesterday afternoon because it was soooo beautiful out. I have one of those long retractable leashes and this gives him plenty of room to explore in new territory and me plenty of control in case he goes bonkers and wants to chase something and get lost.

Hi Cathy--glad to see you back, and sorry about your computer snafu. I just received a new computer and I am enjoying it. Now I can open everyone's attachments, which were giving me trouble before.

Making an Indian curry tomorrow Valerie, and leaving out the cayenne for DH, but putting a bit in my serving! I totally sympathize. I hate bland food.

Hi Ladies,

I was on vacation and went to Vegas to celebrate my DH's birthday. It was fun, and I came back with $500.00. Just in time for Christmas shopping.

It took me all morning to go over my e-mails and now I'm ready for some reports. It is so hard to take a couple of days off.

I will be spinning tonight. I will be back later.

Josie

Hi all. had a busy day yesterday. started out to do a hike and drove thru increasing rain for more than an hour before deciding to turn around. bad decision! we came home and the clouds burned off suddenly... and it was lovely out.
so we cut down a leaning-over-the-road tree and cleaned up the mess. this is an upper body workout, for sure. then we decided to do a bike ride and did a 25 mile quick one since it was late in the day for us. Haven't ridden in a couple weeks and it didn't feel that great, but weather was beautiful although it was clouding up again by the time we finished. I'm back to regular pedals and toe baskets and it was nice not to worry about getting "caught" tho I do think I ended up going slower than usual. i'm going to leave it that way at least for a while.

Josie, you must be the only person who comes back from vegas with money ahead.

Deb, hope your D.C trip went well.

Lynda, do you have trouble getting rid of the curry smell? I like it a lot but don't make it often because even a week later I can still smell the curry in the kitchen. DH doesn't like it that much anyway but it's mostly the lingering odor that gets me.

Cathy your system will slow down if you have a lot of old files and programs hanging around. run disk cleanup and then defrag and see if it helps. I run them every couple weeks. my current system has lots of memory but my older computer it made a huge difference in how it would run.
Joan, hope things are OK with you.

Thursday

Good morning,

I am going in late this morning, since I did not get home until 11:30 last night. That makes for a 15 hour day, so I think I deserve a little down time. DC was warm, and a little on the muggy side. Not that we spent much time outside, meeting all day yesterday in a hotel..ugh..:rolleyes:

One fun part, we went to a restaurant Tuesday night after getting there, and the hotel provided a shuttle bus. We were on the bus with a group of scientists that were there to meet on how to dispose of nuclear waste. they were all pretty old, all grads of MIT, different types of sciences. They were picked and given the assignment by the President, and have to do papers and report to Congress. They were facinating.

Garance, got your check, thanks. I wish we had a nice place like yours to walk the dogs. We could go to the park, but we would have to drive there first, not as much fun as walking out your door and going into the woods. That soup sounds great. I used to use those retractable leashes, until Kelsey's snapped off twice! scary when you are on a street and she doesn't even realize she is free. Nothing happened, but I am a little leary of them now, especially how Keegan is when he is outside. We have a lot of rabbits around here, and he would love to take off and chase them.

Josie, you and Joan are the lucky Vegas girls!

Valerie, I am lucky that DH loves spicy food, he was brought up on Tex-Mex, the hot types, and creole food. His Mom was from Louisanna, Dad from Texas.

Hi to Cathy & Joan,

Take care,

Lucky you. My DH was brought up on spaghetti-O's, cocoa puffs and velveeta. so was I... but I rebelled...

Anyone else see Jane fonda on oprah yesterday? Holy cow, she looks great. yeah she's been nipped and tucked but she looks wonderful. Her legs are longer than I am tall.

This morning I did Squeeze (60 min.)

Valerie, you might want to leave out an open bowl of white vinegar. I have read that it absorbs odors. I have an enormous fan over our Thermidor stove and that seems to pretty much clear the air, although my J. Crew tissue turtlenecks really absorb odors if I have one on while cooking. A good thing they wash so well!

So, Deb, what did you hear from these M.I.T. genii that will solve the problem of nuclear waste disposal? You would love walking the Ks around here. Lots of pretty hikes. Max is pretty much of a sahm farm dog. He absolutely loves sitting in the front seat of DH's truck, though, when they have errands to run. He is very offended if DH has a passenger in his place and will give him no quarter.

Josie, if I ever go to Vegas I want to go with you or Joan!

Hi to Cathy and Joan!

I missed out on the deadline for the Reno trip but had planned to go to Las Vegas Wed through next Monday. I was even going to go by myself but dh decided he wanted to go. We decided this a few weeks ago but he didn't make the reservations and the price went up too much. I sometimes think he is passive aggressive. He doesn't really want to go so he delays until we can't but he wants to sound agreeable.

At least I don't have the kids today and tomorrow. Unfortunately I didn't have anything planned and the weather is wet and cold.

Garance Yes Luke and Elliot did get to see mil. My son Chris from Portland also hadn't seen her in a year and was able to go with us. Surprisingly she is actually getting stronger.

Since Monday and the first of November are in alignment I will start a new exercise rotation then. I don't know what but will try something. I got back on diet yesterday.

Joan

Hi Ladies,

We should all meet in Las Vegas some time in the future :) It would be so much fun and we can all work out together after going out to one of the fabulous restaurants there.

I will be doing my weight training and cardio tonight. I had a hard time waking up this morning. Staying up late in Vegas is catching up to me.

Garance, the soup sounds great! I will look for the magazine.

Deb, the primer that I use is called Prep+Prime from MAC. I love it and it makes my make up last all day.

Valerie, my grandkids are being brought up eating the same things that you and your DH were brought up with. It is so hard to feed them when they are visiting me. I try to feed them healthy snacks and meals, but sometimes I just have to cave in otherwise they will not eat at all.

Hi Joan and Cathy!

Josie

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.