Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 10/17

fox2star

Cathlete
coffee.gif

Up at 3:00 am with Kelsy in severe pain. We ended up taking her to the emergency vet where they did blood work and belive she has pancreatitis. ( she had one of these attacks a while ago). they admitted her to the hospital to give her fluids and antibiotics by IV. I will pick her up tomorrow morning and take her directly to our vet. They do not keep them in there during regular hours if they can be moved to a regular vet.

Yesterday I spent several hours with my cousin in the emergency room with my aunt. She has a blood clot in her leg. She was shuttled from the nursing home, to one hospital, then to another hospital, then back to the nursing home.

Never a dull moment.

Hi Deb and any later posters--

This morning I did Christi Taylor's Fit to Dance (70 min.).

Poor Deb! Now your trip to D.C. must feel like a brief reprieve from misfortunes. I read your post yesterday, which sounds like the toe is on the mend. I hope Kelsey improves quickly because I know how much you love her. If you have a moment, I am in the market for Essential-C again. I also read a long article in More October issue with cosmetic reviews and I was most intrigued with the Chanel Ultra Correction Line Repair Eye Cream, but at 85 dollars I am not going to jump for it. There was also a very positive review for Murad Hybrid Skin Perfecting Primer Dewy Finish, and at 35 dollars, I may give it a try. I know what a junkie you are for anything that can improve your skin (I am too!), so I thought I would at least tell you about the article.

Friday night I went to see the NYC Ballet while they were here. They did Balanchine's dances to Robert Schumann's music--Davidsbundlertanze (trans. "The League of David's Dances," referring to an imaginary group of artists created by Schumann, with each member embodying a different aspect of the composer's personality). So romantic and passionate with four couples and these absolutely magical costumes.

Another busy week ahead, but at least there are NO MEETINGS (she lets out a cheer).

Hope everyone is having a less eventful weekend than Deb.

Monday

Good morning,

I have to be out about a half hour earlier than normal today to go pick up Kelsey and take her to our regular vet. I am assuming she will be there all day until I get out of work to get her.

Garance, I will start the search for the Murad. There are a lot listed on Ebay, but it looks like the prices have gone up. I will try to keep it hopefully no more than $60 including shipping. I looked up the hybrid perfecting primer on Make Up Alley, and it did not get very good reviews. I'd like to see what they said in More magazine, maybe it's on line. They are also available on Ebay for around $30 including shipping. There are 2 versions, Dewey, and Matte finish. Do you want me to get that for you too? If so, which one? The ballet sounds lovely.

Everyone must have had a busy weekend. Take care,

Hi Ladies,

I did not get to workout on Saturday. I had stomach issues, but I did go spinning on Sunday for one hour. I will be spinning tonight again.

Deb, I'm sorry to hear a out Kelsey. I hope everything goes well.

Garance, I'm glad that you don't have any meetings this week. I don't have any scheduled until Thursday. Regarding primer, I use MAC and I love it. It is in the 25-28 prince range.

I will be back later.

Josie

Hi Deb, Josie, Joan, Cathy, and Valerie--

This morning I did Bootcamp Boogie (65 min.).

Deb, the Murad dewy finish review says, Part skin treatment, part cosmetic, this new brainchild of Howard Murad promises to control oil, shrink pores, make your makeup last longer--and impart a dewy glow (hence the product name). Talk about a multitasker. And according to our testers, the product achieved all of this--and more. "In a word, love," said one. "This product goes on smoothly and made everything I put on top--my foundation, blush, concealer--look smoother too. My only complaint is that it doesn't come in a bigger bottle!" Testers also said it worked well even if they elected not to wear any makeup on top. "My skin tends to get oily and I have large pores by my nose. When I put this on, I noticed an immediate improvement--so much so that I chose to skip foundation," said one. And the one-shade-fits-all color seemed to live up to its claim. "I was skeptical of the so-called universal shade, but once I applied it, it really did just blend in," a panelist said.

I guess I will skip it if the reviews at Makeup Alley were not good. I thought it might be good for large pore areas like the nose. I guess what I am really looking for is a magical eye cream for fine lines. I have very few lines except for around my eyes.

Took Maxie for a lovely walk yesterday afternoon. Our foliage is really beautiful now and the wind did not take it totally down.

Josie, what's MAC?

Garance I have started using a new cream and it's pretty cheap. The skin on my arms was looking old. The best description I can think of is it looked scaly like an alligator. Not dry but lines. It is by Jergens and is called skin firming. A daily toning moistuizer- reduces the appearance of cellulite for visibly firmer skin. It seems to work if you don't get the magnifying glass out.

They have not been able to wake my mil up since noon today. They are not going to take her to the hospital this time. My fil died on Oct 27 about 12 years ago. My son is flying in this Friday for Luke's baptism on Sunday. Hopefully he can see her awake one last time. Mil has not seen Luke except in pictures. She did not want us to bring the kids over to the nursing home because so many people were sick. I wish we would have had them go over with us Saturday. She smiled at the pictures of them and was able to eat DQ for lunch.

Joan

Tuesday

037.gif

Kelsey is home, the part of her blood work that they analyzed there after more fluids /meds etc was good enough to not have to keep her ther overnight. More results should be back today or tomorrow to see if there is anything more serious going on. Needless to say, I was awake most of the night watching her for any signs of distress. I am exhausted but she is doing much better.

Garance, after reading what you wrote, I am tempted to try that Murad primer. Not sure which to get, the dewey or the matte finish. I think I mentioned it here, I saw it on Ebay for $29.99, including shipping. You are right, I am a skin product junkie. :rolleyes:. Let me know if you want to "take a flyer" on it. ( where did that phrase come from anyway?)

Josie, what is the exact name of the MAC primer? I always like to check things out on Makeupalley.com

Joan, it sounds like your MIL is telling that she is ready. My friend's mom is not quite at that point, but he sleeps constantly, will answer questions if asked. She does ask to eat or drink either, but will take some sips of water if offered. The Hospice people told my friend not to force her to eat. I hope your son gets to see her again.

Hi to Cathy & Valerie,

Take care,

Back from our backpack and it was wonderful, just wonderful. we've been trying to get to this area for years and finally succeeded. It's not that remote or even that difficult to get to but because of that, park rangers keep a pretty tight lid on how many people can be up there at any one time. possible on a dayhike but it would be quite a grind. the scenery was stunning, breathtaking, and entirely worth it. the only downside is that with the sun so low in the sky this time of year, a lot of the peaks are not extremely photogenic since they are backlit most of the day.
It was cold too. whoops... gotta get some things done and get to yoga, absolutely more in a couple hours. gotta read what's been happening since last week too.

This morning I did Ellen Barrett's Slim Sculpt (45 min.).

Deb, I think I will just stick to the Essential-C for now. I will have to look up the Chanel eye cream at Makeupalley.com. Your smiley looks totally exhausted. Hope all is well with Kelsey.

Oh, Joan, that sounds pretty dire. I can understand why they would not want to expose little Luke to whatever is floating around, though. I'm looking for an eye cream, so I don't think an anti-cellulite cream would make much difference there. My favorite body lotion is Philosophy's Amazing Grace. The fragrance is heavenly because it's so clean. It's also milky and keeps my skin silky.

Welcome back, Valerie!

All tallied, we did about 25 miles and 7000 feet gain and loss on the trip. went in sat am and out monday morning early. back home by noon-ish monday. cold clear weather. but it's a lot of tent time. sun goes down by 6 and it gets dark and the temp drops rapidly. can't see to get around well until close to 7 so no matter how you slice it, a lot of time in a sleeping bag. that's the biggest drawback about late season hiking.

when we got back to our car at the trailhead at first all looked fine, but I looked closer and we had a mouse in the car somehow. Never saw him, just the aftermath. either he was very brave and jumped in while we unloaded our packs and boots, only a couple minutes with us standing right there, or else found his way up thru the engine or body of the car. he had a party with some loose kleenex and managed to chew a hole into all of our snack food bags most of which were sealed. small hole in each bag...., apparently he couldn't decide if he liked potato chips, doritos, or the cheese curls so he tried all 3. we vacuumed it all out and washed "whatever" when we got home. DH's car is not an old beater and he usually parks in the garage at home. must have been one happy mouse for 3 days!

Deb glad to hear your doggie sounds OK. what causes pancreatitis in dogs? I know in people it is often a medication or excessive alcohol issue and you need to be aware and not use the same thing again. DH got pancreatitis from a blood pressure medication he was on, or a combo of them, so needless to say he won't use that medicine again. It was VERY UNPLEASANT for a couple days until the med cleared. but in dogs? I don't know. or is it just something that comes on for no particular reason?

Joan, sorry about your MIL. Hope she is resting comfortably but that is not a promising situation.

Lynda, we watched Chinatown last night. a good one, I didn't remember it very well. good brief, jack nicholson looks so young. course, he WAS young. I need to look it up, but the guy who played noah cross was I think john Huston? David Carradine looked so much like him. wonder if they're related?

speaking of face creams, I use one called Revaleskin night cream. It's about $85 but works nicely for me and lasts about a year. It's cofee berry extract and whatever. I can't use a lot of creams that cause irritation to my skin due to rosacea. Got it from the Derm but it can be gotten for less online.

howdy ya'll, i'm still here, just been soo busy. still doing the firm's 2010 rotation. this month has been an upper body focus.

yesterday i did SIM (jen carman's strength in movment) and a shoulder circuit from the firm home page.
sat. was, um, jiggle free arms, and 7 hrs work at the equine clinic, sunday was fat blasting cardio, and 5 hrs at the clinic.
today i did the firm's cardio dance fusion and tracie's new reach further.
hope all are doing well.

lynda, where do you get that murad cream? i am always trying to find something to help with the wrinkles.:)

Wednesday

Good morning,

Just got back from walking the pups, sitting down for the last of the coffee. Kelsey is such a little trooper, nothing is going to prevent her from going on her morning walk. :)

Valerie, the hike sounds wonderful, and the mouse had a great time too! :D. Not sure what causes pancreatitis in dogs. I think it could go back to a long time ago when our dogs were poisoned. ( long story, we think someone threw something over our fence into the yard). She was in really bad shape, had to be hospitalized for 3 days, on IV's etc. Maybe it did something to her pancreas at the time, weakened it or something. Or it could just be her age, and she cannot take certain types of foods. When I speakk with the vet today, I will be asking what could set it off. She did not eat anything that she hasn't had for years, so not sure.

Cathy, we get the Murad cream from Ebay, lots cheaper than from their web site. It lists for $92(?) or somewhere in that range,, and I can usually get it on Ebay for under $60, including shipping. I saw somewhere on her that Tracy Long has a new KB workout coming out. Someone said the clips looked great, but when I went to her site, I couldn't find any clips on it

Garance, still on the hunt for the Murad! I'll keep you posted.

Joan, how is your MIL?

Take care,

This morning I did Zumba Cardio Party (46 min.). I was planning on doing the longer live Zumba, but mistakenly put in the shorter one.

Deb, that's good news about Kelsey. I hope the vet can give you some insight on the pancreatitis. Max seems to be thriving and so full of joy. When DH lets him out in the morning he just runs around like a madman for awhile and loves doing the morning chores. We just bought him these two dangly furry toys with squeakers, but no stuffing. One is a squirrel and the other a skunk. He goes crazy with them, flipping them up in the air and then pouncing. Retrospectively I think we should have named him Tigger because he bounces a lot with vertical leaps. Quite the character.

Valerie, Chinatown is one of my favorites. Yes, it's John Huston as Noah Cross. Roman Polanski also makes an appearance in his film. He's the little thug who slashes Nicholson's nose. It sounds like a great hike and at the right time of year. I plan on taking Max for a longish walk this afternoon because the foliage is still so pretty.

Cathy, the Murad stuff is really good for age spots and IMHO a lovely glow. I think, though, the best stuff for wrinkles is Retin-A at .05 strength. Too bad you cannot put it around the eyes!

Went out to dinner last night with MIL and FIL. Spinach and pear salad and duck in a cider based sauce with kale and fingerling potatoes. Could not eat all of the duck, so I brought some home. My usual Manhattan! They are now off to Florida.

Thursday

Good morning,

Kelsey's full blood work was back yesterday and the vet was very pleased with how her pancreatic values came down to almost normal levels from where they were. He said it is a sign that the pancreas is still "healable". ( if that is a real word). She needs to be on a high protein low carb/fat food, so I am researching that now. We use a food called Blue that is a very high quality food, but the labels don't give the carb percentage. It should be under 16%. Your package is on it's way, supposedly. Let me know when it gets there.

Garance, we have to get those kind of toys for Keegan too, he destroys anything with stuffing. I wish I has some nice woody area to walk the dogs, rather than on the streets.

Hi to Valerie, Josie, Cathy & Joan,

Take care,

Yep, Lynda, spotted polanski right off. Funny how recognizable he is. some people have distinctive faces. any idea if john huston is related to the carradines? maybe that's a google question...

Deb, in people serum amylase goes sky high with pancreatitis. DH was very ill for a couple days and he is really careful to never take the particular BP med again. It didn't cause trouble right away, I think he'd been taking the combination for several months and all of a sudden he was in agony. almost every med causes a bad reaction in someone so there was no significant printed risk etc. hope the vet can help you rule in/out what might have caused the problem. if only dogs could talk...

Did another excellent hike yesterday. another 10 or so miles RT and 4500 feet elevation gain. I actually go uphill better than downhill. this particular trail is quite eroded with lots of greasy slippery mud and rolling rocks. tool 7.5 hours up and back with an hour for lunch. there's an old forest service lookout at the top of the last few hundred feet with an incredible 360 degree view. people stay over night there. some guy was just leaving as we got there, and 3 more people were hoping to stay last night. we've considered it but these are small 1 room "shacks" with windows all around due to their previous uses as lookouts. there's no guarantee you'll be alone until the weather is so crappy that it's a lot less interesting. the weather forecast is deteriorating so our legs will get a rest for a few days.

We haven't caught the "car mouse", so he probably exited the way he got in. DH has been driving around with a mouse trap on the back seat but no luck. Trailheads and campgrounds train some very resourceful and wily mice! We used to have a VW bus and one night ( long ago) while we were sleeping a mouse got in ( and out) and ran across my face in the middle of the night. Wow... that was a wake up call!! Never figured out how he got in and out either.

This morning I did Squeeze (60 min.).

Deb, thanks for the Murad! I will let you know when I receive it. That's good news about Kelsey. Today Max is 1 year old. He does not seem very impressed, even though I told him the dog years are going to begin multiplying faster.

Valerie, the Carridines have a famous father, John Carradine, who was in a lot of movies during the 1940s and 50s. John Huston's daughter is Angelica Huston. David Carridine died in that awful and mysterious way in Thailand a couple years ago. Took Maxie for a big walk yesterday afternoon. We just go back on our land which is mostly forest.

Another jam-packed afternoon of work, and now I have a new computer. Cannot figure out how to purge my deleted mail!

Hi Ladies,

Sorry for not posting, it has been very busy around here. I did not workout on Tuesday and Wednesday, I was tired and the weather has not helped. It has been raining on and off since last Saturday. I will be doing my weight training plus cardio tonight.

Tomorrow we will be celebrating my DD 20th birthday and my DH's 57th. My parents a 2 of my DB's are going to join us and maybe my DS.

Have a nice evening everyone!

Josie

Lynda, I did google john huston and no connection. funny, daughter angelica doesn't resemble her father at all. as I was watching the movie all I could think of was how much david carradine resembled john huston especially after david was older. I was not a fan but that was an embarrassing final act to be remembered by.
Now I've started thinking about angelica huston. I loved the movie she was in with annette bening and john cusack... The Grifters. Loved that movie, but DH didn't like it much so haven't seen it in a while.

I haven't done an upper workout since my wrist got sore again, but today I'll try one. I've worn my wrist splint again and it's pretty good again, so time to test the limits. I use poles when hiking and hauling an overnight pack around is a fair upper body workout in itself.

Our good stretch of weather will be ending this weekend saturday & sunday will be quite wet. DH and I will work on our floor project. Be nice to get it done so we can replace the laundry room counter top, sink and faucet. floor first.

Dog lives are entirely too short. It's just not fair!

I'll be glad when this week is over.

Son from Portland OR is coming in Friday night for Luke's baptism Sunday. We are all planning to go to nursing home to see mil. I hope she can wait that long. I think if bil tells her we are coming she will hang on. She doesn't seem to be in any pain so that's good.

Dil is having a Halloween party at my house Saturday night. We will get back at 3:30 and the party is at 5:30. Their party is in the pool area. So I invited brothers and their family to come since we have plenty of room in the rest of the house. If I have to cook it just as easy to cook for a crowd.

At least the bathroom and diningroom are done.

Joan

Finally Friday!

Good morning,

I thought this week would never end. I am doing a search for dog food that has less than 16% carbs, more protein. We feed the "K's" Blue Buffalo food now, but the vet said look for one for Kelsey that has less carbs and fat, because those are harder for her system to process. I e-mailed the company to see which ones of theirs would work. I really like their line of food.

Valerie, LOL about the car mouse...What happened to your DH is exactly what happened to Kelsey. We could not figure out anything in particular that triggerd the attack. She was fine when we went to bed, then Wham! I just want to do everything I can to prevent it from happening again.

Garance, Happy Birthday to Max! Wait until you try to use the new Microsoft office programs that come with the new computers now.

Josie, Happy Birthday to your DD and DH!

Joan, hope your MIL hangs in there. You are right, telling her may be what she needs.

Have a great day, and good start to the weekend!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.