Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 1/24

fox2star

Cathlete
Good Morning,

I did Gym Styles Back, Shoulders & Biceps this morning. I think the time that is listed on the site here is off..it said it was 62 minutes but I was done in 52 minutes...I was not unhappy to be done early...

Joan, I think I would like your work schedule...lots of flexibility...

Josie, waiting for your link so I can get the stuff for you.

Garance, I got your check, thanks. Let me know when you get the package.

Hi to Cathy & Valerie...:D

Hi Deb, Josie, Joan, Cathy, and Valerie--

This morning I did disk 31 for chest and back (64 min.). Tough at 90%--although I am just estimating.

Deb, that is how I use Essential-C--under my ageless foundation. I have recently been using Patricia Wexler's 3-in-1 eye cream as well. It has an SPF of 30. It's pretty good on the crow's feet.

I have so been enjoying the sunny weather and mild for January temps. Now it sounds like it's going to rain, though, which will create a sloppy mess.

Anyone watching the figure skating? Too bad about Sasha Cohen. She is so beautiful and at her best a really gorgeous skater, but she cannot seem to stay vertical. She will not be going to the Olympics I guess.

I forgot--Happy birthday Cathy!

well, i totally sloughed off yesterday. felt horrible all day. so, made up for it today. did total muscle shaping and then step moves. i didn't go super hard on step moves, though. but, still had a good workout. it is a fun workout, but it seems like it is alot like the other step workouts. i wish i had saved my money and cancelled sts cardo. oh well, live and learn

Monday

Good Morning,

I did a Cardio Coach this moring on the treadmill....45 minutes, 346 calories. whew...that's all I can say.

It rained all night, even got a trickle in our basement, which is rare.

I have not watched any figure skating, who is going to go to the Olympics? Have you heard about the winter Olympics in Whistler BC? they don't have enough snow, they have to bring it in by truck...:rolleyes:..

Going to hit the shower....

Take care...

Hi everyone,

At least official weigh in was 172 so I stayed the same. Horrible calorie weekend but very good food.:eek: I'm waiting for my first appointment of the day. I hate the 15 minutes of every hour that is just for waiting. Usually the appointment doesn't last the full hour, so I hope to jump on the Wii to move a little.

No wo this weekend. I guess I won't complain about the week of rain- now it's snowing. Still cloudy and dreary.

Joan

I want to happily report that friday I got busy and did both STS disk #9 and #10. a bit much but workable, one being legs and the other 2 million pushups in various styles. Saturday we did a 10 mile hike. Not a lot of elevation gain, and we did it in brisk time carrying reasonably heavy packs. sunday no wo and today not sure. probably some cardio and maybe disk 11. think I'm supposed to take a week off but don't plan on it. I've spaced out these workous and repeated most, so I'm not feeling worn out and feel fine about moving ahead either today or tomorrow. doc appts both days but nothing stressful.

I'm forgetting which of you mentioned snow for the Olympics last week. we are not far away and similar weather patterns, and el nino is killing the snow. It's amazingly different from last year. in 08-09 we had so much snow we didn't know where to go with it, even at sea level. the mountains had tons, and might have caused the opposite problem of what to do with it all. avalanches everywhere, road closures over and over. this year, we started out with a bang in Nov but our hike saturday went to 3200 feet, and only a few small patches of snow/ice at the lake, and the lake only had a little ice. they will make snow, truck it in, and tarp it to protect what's left, at least in the lower venue areas near vancouver. the events conducted at higher elevation in whistler will be Ok.

So yes, this year it's spring-like and flowers are blooming. Last year we had so much snow we had to shovel away the mounds next to the driveway to make room for the new snow... we couldn't throw it high enough!

Garance, thanks for the Avatar review. We don't go to many theater movies but I want to see this one in 3D hopefully soon. I forget, when are the Oscars? March? I hate crowded theaters so will opt for a weekday before the pre-oscar hype goes crazy. DH's family has a few people with colon cancer so he got started early on screening. he gets polyps but none precancerous. I hate the process but it's a good feeling knowing if something was amiss it can be detected and likely taken care of.

Deb, I love GS. I don't check my time vs what the disk says. It takes me much longer to change weight on my barbell, and of course, move furniture around. I wish our room was bigger but we set it up with just cardio in mind.

Joan, that's a brutal work schedule but at least there's an end point and it's somewhat predictable. Hope you can get in some activity to keep sane.

Josie, I'm sure there's more about bicycling I don't know than what I do! I'm wrestling with position... lowered my seat slightly to take the pressure off my shoulders but ended up with an unpleasantly sore butt and coudn't pedal as efficiently. the leaned forward position with a pack on was how I developed the DVT last fall and I cannot get a repeat. waist pack, and less forward lean is what I'm trying.

Hi Ladies,

I did my Kevin wo on Saturday plus 1hour spinning and on Sunday I did a 29 mile road ride.
I was mentally exhausted after the road ride; there is so much to think about while riding on the streets. I might take off today but not sure yet.

One of my co-workers told me this morning that I'm shrinking. I guess getting back to the routine that I had before the holidays is helping.

We are supposed to get more rain this week, but the weekend was beautiful. The temperature was in the low 40's in the mornings and low 60's during the day.

Valerie, I'm going to need a back pack for my rides. What do you recommend? It needs to be lightweight and compact.

Deb, I will send you the link today. Thank you very much for keeping us beautiful.

Hi Cathy, Garance and Joan.

Josie

This morning I did Cardio Axe and Tummy Tuck from BBL (55 min. total).

I DVR'd the skating last night where the Olympics announcements were also made. I will probably look at the show tonight and let you know who made it. I am pretty sure about the two women--a blonde very athletic woman (regrettably with a pudgy face and receding chin and I know, I know, that's not fair, but I bet it counts in judges' perceptions) and a Chinese-American girl, tall and very thin, but wow can she do the jumps. The dancers are two pairs, one from the last Olympics (silver medalists) and another pair I didn't recognize. I had to watch PBS's new version of Emma because I am teaching it this semester. It was excellent.

It's pouring rain here today. The poor cows are having a tough time slogging through the mud. They are also getting pretty big with their calves.

Valerie, we went to a Thursday matinee (3:20) and the theater was pretty empty, so I think that's a wise idea. The film is a solid 2 hr. 45 min. plus trailers, so we were out in time to go out to dinner. Perfect. Is El Nino the reason why they are getting snow in Arizona?

Joan, you should not feel bad if you managed to stay at 172 with all of the things going on in your life. Steady as she goes is good enough through stormy weather. (Sorry for the trite metaphor!)

So, Deb, what do you know about English shepherds? We are driving over to New York tomorrow afternoon to look at one (13 weeks). DH saw one a couple weeks ago and seems to think he wants one, so we are investigating.

Cathy, what are you doing about your acid reflux??

I've been trying to remember the name of the marine from Alien and just thought of it ... Vasquez! "Did anyone every mistake you for a man, Vasquez?" "No, how about you?" or something like that.... One of favorite roles. very few people could make that small part to memorable. and she did pull ups....

Yes, el nino is the reason for all the weird weather. we hear about this daily on our weather reports. large pool of warm water in the Pacific, totally directs where the weather systems go, the "usual place" or the "NOT" usual place.

Josie, I'm not sure I can recommend any particular pack. a small pack that fits high on your back and holds what you need. I have a small one maybe 1000 cubic inches that I used to use. I replaced it with a small waist pack, due to my medical issue. I usually carry a couple simple tools, snacks, ID, keys, cell phone, cash, a tire tube, a windbreaker, ear band, heavier gloves. some real simple first aid stuff. I want enough room so if I need to dress down I can store the extra clothes. If I needed to carry a lot of stuff, I'd use panniers. Do you have a sag wagon carrying camping stuff? I know people carry their own sometimes but I've never done that, on a bike that is.

Tuesday

Good morning,

I just finished the standing leg work from GS Legs. Glad that is over.

Joan, at least you did not gain weight. Your schedule sounds like a psychiatrist's where they see people for 50 minutes then take a break to write notes. I don't know what make me think of that except there is a series I read that has one in Boulder Colorado that is always talking about his break between patients.

Valerie, I can't believe you can do 2 STS workouts in a day! You must have been fried. I was in Whistler for work one time...what a ride that was. That road up that mountain was killer. I took some nice pics though, and No, I wasn't driving!

Josie, WTG on the bike ride! How nice of your co-worker to mention that you look like you have lost weight.

Garance, see my link above on the English Shepherds. I had never seen them before, so I googled and found that sight. There are some rescue sites too, but I guess you are looking for a puppy right?

Hi to Cathy, hope you are feeling better.

Take Care,

Deb, two STS in a day isn't too bad. I wouldn't do two upper body ones... too much overlap.... but legs and upper body is OK, just takes a while. I didn't push the weight, just repeated what I'd done before, and I skipped the extra leg blast at the end. I did feel a little sore the next day but still OK to hike. the standing leg workout I can handle, it's the floor stuff that kills me.

This morning I did disk 33 for sh, tris, bis (59 min.).

Deb, we are headed over to NY to get our puppy. He's 13 weeks old and black with white socks and blaze. They named him Clark, but I don't think we will keep that name (as in Lewis and Clark--they apparently had an explorer theme for this litter). I have checked out that site. DH had never heard of English shepherds either and thought that one of his customers just had a couple of mixed breed dogs in his truck when he came to pick up his meat order. I think it was love at first sight. He asked where they came from and found out about the breeder in NY and called her. I hope this is a good decision. I liked the description of the breed very much and suspect DH will have a real companion for the farm. I'm excited because I have been wanting a dog for some time now.

ttfn

hello, i know i've been awol again. LOL! kids came yesterday and stayed the nite, they had no water in their house, so was busy, as usual. will read updates later.
here is what i did today

tara's back to basics challenge from the firm site.
UPPER BODY
bent row--20# 12r 2set
lat row --30# 10r 2set
b.press--22# 12r 2 set
post. fly-8# 12r 2set
pecs-17#12r 2set
overhead pr 15# 12rx2
upright row 12# 12rx2
frontal 8# 12rx2
med delt 8# 12rx2
b.curls 15# 12rx2
1arm fr. 12# 12rx2
angled curl 8# 12rx2

woo wee, i'm fried!
yesterday did core foundations and was NOT anticipating it being as hard as it was. my tris are double fried now. bbl.

Hi Ladies,

I will be working out with Kevin plus 30 min. cardio. I have a big bruise on my butt from a fall on Sunday; I did not notice it until today. My neck was a bit sore and so were my hands from feathering the brakes on a long decent from Sunday's ride. I guess new muscles need to be developed.

Valerie, thank you very much for the advice. I'm with you, I rather carry a fanny pack, I used to carry one when I was running marathons and it never bothered me.

Garance, congratulations on your new puppy. Have you and DH found a name yet?

Cathy, I't seems that you are feeling 100%. You are so strong!

Deb, I see that you have not been sleeping in. Good girl!

Joan, how is your DM doing?

Josie

Good afternoon,

Only had one appt at 9am and then had to pick Elliot up at daycare and take her to the doctor. We were there for an hour and a half because they wanted a urine sample and she doesn't go on command.:D Mom thought she had uti but I think she just went more frequently because she has a cold. Doctor couldn't find a problem. Of course we had to eat lunch and then play before nap time. I hope she is sleeping now.

I did get step works in last night. I am already so far behind I don't know if I will get any wo in today.

Dm is doing fine other than her swollen feet and legs. Mil is back at nursing home and is getting her strength back.

Lots of people dropped off their returns, so I better get busy.

Joan
Dh may have to go to Germany for a month

Hump Day

Good morning!

This morning I did 4DS Kickbox only. I think I need to retire kickbox workouts. With my knee, I cannot put any real effort into it so I hardly burn any calories. We got some snow last night, just enough to make driving and walking a pain.

Garance, did you get the puppy? If so, please post a pictue here, please?

CAthy, WOW :eek: that workout would fry you !!

Josie, yes, I am back into the swing of things, I hope it lasts! good job on the bike ride but your poor butt! How is the rain situation there?

Joan, LOL about the urine sample and Elliot...did you finally get it? just like when I have to bring a urine sample in from one of the dogs...try to get a plastic container either under Kelsey, (she jumps up very disgusted with me) or Keegan, try to catch a stream...:D Glad to hear your DM is doing better and MIL is getting stronger..you sure have had a lot going on lately.

Valerie, I can't imagine hiking for 10 miles. I agree on the floor work, it is so bad for me that I just usually skip it.

Take care and for those in the East, stay warm!

LOL!!! did ya'll download the step n' motion workout? cathe's very first one. it is so funny! the 80's hair and outfits. hard to look at. it doesn't look extremely hard. may try it this am.

This morning I did Step Moves (44 min.).

Yep, we now have our English shepherd. We named him Max (also his father's name) Junior, and sometimes refer to him as miniMax. Gosh, he is the most calm puppy I think I have ever had. A very smart gentlemanly pup who seems unusually attuned to us and wants to respond to every look. Housebroken and already sits, comes, lies down, and will go into his kennel on command, sit, and wait for a treat. He followed DH around this morning and never left his side while he fed the cows and calves. I did take some pictures yesterday and DH is trying to send them to me, so I will try to post some. The breeder recommends clicker training which DH is keen to try.

Joan, I think Step Works is one of Cathe's best step workouts. Just the right level of difficulty and impact for me, and it burns some calories for sure.

Cathy, that looks really tough.

Wow, Josie, take care of that butt! Have you ever tried arnica to rub on bruises? It works for me.

Valerie, my hellebore probably won't bloom until March. I wanted one because it figures in the last of Plath's bee poems: "Wintering." She refers to it as a Christmas rose. It can be used as an emetic, but if you take too much, it is poisonous. Very interesting in the context of the poem.

Off to the Thai restaurant for lunch with a friend today. We have to make our choices for Jacob's Pillow next summer.

Hi Ladies,

I will be doing a double spin this evening about 90 minutes. My wo went well last night and my upper body is a little sore from a lot of push ups.

Garance, thank you for reminding me about using arnica. My GM used to use it all the time. Congratulations on miniMax! Our dog Astro was the same when we brought him home at 8 weeks old. He is still a very well behaved dog and he turned 10 in July. Your lunch sound yummy, I love Pad -Tie.

Deb, I'm glad that you are back on track.

Joan, I have not done step in years, I would probably trip on the step and crack my head.

Hi Valerie and Cathy.

Josie

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.