Pentagenarians & Beyond - Thursday

melrose

Cathlete
Happy Thursday, All,

Whoo, what a week! It's certainly not the week of rest I had envisioned! The new baby has decided he loves to party all night, so DIL is seriously sleep-deprived. DS has been bringing Sam over here to spend the day every day so she can get some sleep at home. DIL's mother, who doesn't work, would normally be very much in the picture, but she fell while walking her dog Monday (the dog unexpectedly pulled on the leash), and shattered the bones in her elbow, shoulder, upper and lower arm (the right side, and she's right-handed).

The whole arm from shoulder on down was out of joint, so they put her to sleep for 6 minutes Monday, and pulled it back into alignment.

Tuesday, she had surgery. The whole upper arm and elbow are basically in fragments. She had a metal plate put in from shoulder to elbow, and a big chunk of bone taken from her hip to rebuild the elbow. There are also pins and screws.

She also has damage to the tendons, so she only has a removable soft cast, which is removed regularly and a machine put on which moves her arm to try to get the tendons to heal. It's unbelievably painful.

Fortunately, I'm off this week because Sam is a handful. I think DS would be overwhelmed with everything he has to do besides take care of Sam. He travels a lot in his job and has never been on child duty all day before, but he's learning fast!

The reason I'm able to sign in this morning is because Sam and Andrew are both at the doctor, Sam for his 18-month checkup and Andrew for his 1-week checkup.

Tomorrow, DS has jury duty, so Sam will be here around 7 a.m. I guess I don't have to say that my exercise this week consists of chasing Sam around for hours!

Garance, I think my AI favorite so far is the guy from Australia, who sang ''Bohemian Rhapsody,'' but it's early yet. Who do you like?

Hang in there, Linny, you're almost out of that place!

Have a wonderful day,
Jen

Hi Jen--

We must have posted at the same time. Wow--you sound like you have quite a handful to keep you busy.

I like the Australian too, but I also like that blonde who sounds like Carole King at the keyboard.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.