Pentagenariand & beyond: W/B 3/20

fox2star

Cathlete
Hi all,

Sorry so late with the post, looks like everyone else was busy today too..

The contractor left a message last night that he wants to start the bathroom on Wednesdat....WEDNESDAY??? Are you kidding? I am not ready for this..the basement has not been de-cluttered, ( thanks to DH..) and we are having my family for brunch on Easter....So I call him back this morning, all ready to just have him delay until after Easter, and he says if he does that, it won;t be until June...JUNE??? No way we are waiting that long. So long story short, guess what we have been doing most of the day? Yeah right...

Plus my aunt started having seizures, they rushed her into the hospital, she did not have a stroke, but now she doesn't know anyone...I was there this afternoon...

I did get a workout in...BFL lower body and the abs from Fit To Dance...

Will be back in the morning...

hey everyone, will be gone again got the kids til tues or wed. so, won't be around for a few days. have a good week!

Good morning,

I did a Cardio Coach this morning, my HRM watch crapped out at the 7 minute mark....I hate that! I did stick with it for 35 mintues.

Cathy have fun with the kids!

What did everyone else do this weekend?

Take care?

good monday morning to everyone!.

Not a killer weekend. bike ride saturday in the flower fields... tulips and daffodils, although tulips aren't blooming yet. it gets incredibly busy when they start and it's spectacular. unfortunately the traffic gets that way too. always wary of people looking at flowers and throwing open the car door without looking for bicycles. about 25 miles though my bike refused to shift to the large sprocket in front. tried and tried without luck and finally did a two person shift where I held up the bike and DH pushed the deraileur over while hand pedaling the pedals. so got it up and had to leave it up the rest of the ride which wasn't too bad. stopped at the bike shop,need service but will take it back later in the week. sunday was Yardmax. today we want to do another ride but mt bikes instead as soon as the clouds clear a little.

Deb, go for the remodel. contractors are always even more behind than they think they are!

Hi Deb, Josie, Joan, Cathy, and Valerie--

Yesterday I did SH legs and shoulders (60 min.), and today I did Cardio Axe followed by 2 miles with Leslie (60 min.).

I graded papers and exams this weekend, along with getting my hair highlighted, cleaning up my gardens (phew! glad that's done) and the usual Housemax. Kinda boring, I know, but the weekend was beautiful.

Deb, sorry about your aunt. She does not recognize you? That sounds serious. I agree with Valerie, go for the remodel now. You will be so happy when it's all over.

Valerie, around here it's the fall and leaf-peepers who are a danger to everyone, including bikers. It's like they see a view in blazing color from the fall foliage, so they stop to take pictures, pulling over suddenly and halting traffic.

I bought three new cardios: Ellen Barrett's Barefoot Cardio, Petra Kolber's Just Dance, and Jazzercize Dancin' Abs. My current cardio is getting a bit stale except for Cardio Axe.

Good Morning!

I did a BFL Upper body workout this morning, no HRM so no calories burned count. It felt pretty good though. DH finished cleaning the attic stairs and landing so the workers can get to the third floor bathroom. We hope we can use this one while they are working on the second floor. They may have to do some pipe replacement up to the third floor so we may be doing some creative showering in the basement for a couple of days...

Valerie, 25 miles is not shabby by any means. I don't think I would be able to walk the next day. I have a 10 speed bike but was never able to manage the shifting thing. I would just put it in 5th gear and keep it there. Those auto shifting bikes kind of peaked my interest at one point, but I never did find out if they were worth the money.

Garance, my aunt had encephalitis 10 years ago than they thought was caused by a misquito bite in Florida. They thought it was a stroke at that time but it was not. She completely lost her memory, didn't recognize anyone etc, but eventually some came back. She has no short term memory at all, but can remember what happened 40 years ago. When I saw her Sunday, it was like how she was 10 years ago when it first happened. The last time she had seizures, this same thing happened but after a few days she was back to normal...her normal anyway. I hope that is what happens this time. Let me know what you think of the new cardio workouts you bought. they look interesting. How is Max doing?

Hi to Cathy, Joan & Josie,

Take care..

Wow, seizures out of the blue are concerning, but they can show up at any age. It takes a while to sort out that kind of stuff, especially if she isn't able to contribute much. Hope she does OK in time.
Go for that remodel ASAP, before a half a dozen other jobs start to occupy the contractor. sometimes it's better not to have too much time to agonize over every detail. just dive in and get it done before.

Did another ride yesterday, mt bike this time. we found a park our ability level and that has decently marked trails. It's low level very beautiful coastal forest trails that loop up and around some lakes in a forest preserve. the mileage isn't great but mt biking is different than street biking,way more bouncy, short and steep with rocks, roots and mud. It sure is fun, I'm better at it than I used to be but plenty of room for improvement. Its definitely harder than street biking and a completely different activity. I think we did about 7 miles and it was WAY more work than the 25 miler on roads. to get to the park we drive thru the flower fields where we rode this weekend. I'll try to find a picture link so you can see what I mean. It really is knock-your-socks off beautiful especially in person. these are commercial fields , they grow the flowers to see as flowers and as bulbs.
Garance, this area has traffic issues... people just STOP in the middle of the road, dozens of cars, traffic or not and park all over. the flowers are one thing and then there are huge flocks of snow geese that are fly in gigantic flocks from field to field. people stop to take pics of them too. on a bike, it's even better but always need to watch for crazy driving and doors being flung open etc.
I'm doing disk 27 after yoga today, need to skip the leg disk as we're hiking a tough one tomorrow and I am not going with my legs already sore.

Hi Ladies,

My weekend ride ended up being 65 miles and it was beautiful. We rode from Irvine to Solana Beach along Pacific Coast Hwy. The weather and the scenery were amazing.
I was not even sore on Sunday. One of the trainers gave me some tips during my 43 mile ride the week before and I implemented them and it made all the difference in the world. I added a gel seat and bought gloves with more padding.

Deb, My DB has been working at our house doing minor repairs and I also want him to remodel our bathroom. I'm glad my DB is doing the work because I hate having strangers working in my house.

Joan, how are you doing? How is your DM?

Cathy, I will be busy with my grandkids next week. I will be picking them up on Sunday and will take them home on Easter Sunday. I can't wait to see them.

Garance, have you done any more shopping for clothes?

Valerie, I'm afraid of mountain biking, I did The Bulldog run a couple of years ago and running through the mountains was scary enough for me. It took me 4 hours to run/walk 18 miles.

Have a great day everyone!

Josie

This morning I did SH chest, back, and core (60 min.). The planks on this one at the end really get to me because my chest is already sore from the workout.

Josie, I did buy one dress that I had on my wishlist at Myshape.com when they had the 30 % discount. I am a sucker for dresses, especially for spring and summer. That's some impressive mileage.

Deb, Max is doing great. This morning Francine calved, and he just sat there watching. DH put him on a leash and thought he would get him close to the calf, but Francine wasn't having any of that. First calf of the season, and of course, it's pouring rain. But DH has a great calving shed for the cows. Did you watch DWTS? I don't think it's right that they have a professional dancer (the lead dancer from the Pussycat Dolls) as one of the contestants. I bet Evan Lysacek wins anyway. He looked great on the waltz. Around here, everyone worries about mosquitoes carrying West Nile virus. A friend's brother was bit and he will just never be the same. He's a paraplegic.

Love to see a picture, Valerie. Nothing blooming here yet. My Christmas rose (hellebore) is finally coming out.

Hi to Joan and Grandma Cathy!

http://gonw.about.com/od/photoswa/ig/Skagit-Valley-Tulip-Festival-/

I hope this link works, think you will need to copy and paste to get to it. go to the site, then "enter gallery" and there are 51 pics from a tulip festival, not this years because the tulips are just starting to show a little color. It really is an amazing spectacle but OMG it gets crowded, traffic etc. The visual impact from HUGE fields of flowers will just knock your socks off. Riding a bike thru all of it is better although need to be careful of distracted drivers and distracted cyclists.

There are loads of web sites related to the festival but many only have one pic and this one had many.

Garance, my hellebores have been blooming since December. they are great plants cause they last so long when nothing else is blooming.

Josie, that is some significant mileage... I'd have a pretty sore butt after 65 miles. Mt biking is a totally different sport than street biking. I like both but am not very good at mt biking, don't like the fast scary downhills and will probably need new brakes before anything else wears out. It takes a long time to get used to riding over obstacles like roots and rocks and I have a pretty high paranoia factor. It IS a great workout though.

Just peeking in to say hi. I'm still alive but just barely. I've finished 323 of the 367 returns that are in my office. I expect to get about 70 more.

We went to PT last week about my dm's swollen legs. It was up a steep hill and she felt like wheelchair could tip over. The office also had a musty smell. She won't go back and all offices don't do lymphodema program. I have found a program in St Louis, but it is a bit of a drive and I just don't have time until after tax season. I'm supposed to massage her legs 3 times a day to get swelling down. She gets stitches out Friday.

Joan

Hump Day!

Good Morning,

I did Cardio Coach #7 this morning, 35 minutes 261 calories. DH went to the watch store and had a battery put in my HRM, so much nicer working out with it. I am so anal retentive when it comes to that stuff. :rolleyes:

I have an all day meeting, today and tomorrow. Have to do a presentation and we are going out to dinner afterwards...ugh....It will be a late night, way past my bedtime, I will probably skip the workout tomorrow.

Valerie, my aunt has had seizures off and on since she had that "episode" 10 years ago. Her memory is so bad that you can talk to her, walk out of he room for a minute and come back and she does not remember what you said, or even sometimes that you had been there. But at least she knew who we were, at least some of us. If you were born before about 1967 she knows you. Anyone after that, doesn't exist, it is so strange. I have been married 25 years and everytime she sees DH and me, I have to tell her that he is my husband, then she asks me when I got married, very surprised that I got married and she wasn't invited! She actually did the catering for my wedding...so sad..:(. I give you a lot of credit, not sure if I could even pedal a Mt bike! Love the flower pics!

Josie, you are lucky you have a relative that will work on your house. I don't like strangers in here either, but this guy is a friend of a friend so I feel ok about giving him a key so he can work while we are at work. I have to make sure the dogs are all confined so he doesn't accidentally let one get out..I worry about that more than anything.

Garance, love hearing about Max and his adventures on the farm. :D. I only watched about 50 minutes of my taped DWTS, saw 2 or 3 dances, will have to catch up by the weekend I hope. Your friend's brother's situation sounds like my aunt, very scary. My orchid is blooming again, it blooms twice a year.

Joan, you are really going to town with those returns! Sorry your Mom's PT place was a bust...I guess she needs special PT, does she wear those special stockings?

Hi to Cathy,

Take care,

This morning I did Cardio Barre (55 min.). Dread factor on this one is pretty high, so I am proud of myself.

So now there is this new study on women over 45. The recommendation is 60 min. of moderate exercise per day JUST TO MAINTAIN YOUR WEIGHT. The doctor on the Today show said she hates these studies and just try to get in 30 min. and be as active as possible the rest of the day. I think I am pretty close to this, but I thought I was saintly, and now I find out I'm just holding my own.

Valerie, those flowers are so beautiful. Made me want to go buy some tulips or daffodils to cheer myself up.

Deb, Max is just transfixed by this new calf. Sits and studies her (a little heifer) from a safe distance. Boy is he going to be baffled when the rest of them come out.

Joan, that's too bad about the PT for your mom. Is there a VNA where you live? Sometimes they provide in-home PT. When my mom broke her hip, she had extensive PT in the hospital, but when she went home, a visiting nurse stopped by 2X per week to do PT with her. Thanks for stopping by. We missed you.

I have three more papers to grade, and then I must start doing some retirement planning, reading.

Hi to Josie and Cathy!

WHEW! well, i'm back. i have been very busy. i logged between 5-7 miles a day on my pedometer. we were outside riding, playing, swinging, jumping, i was walking pretty much while the kids rode or whatever. and , part of the time lugging a 30 # kid.

anyway, today i came back with tracie's endurance for movement, and felt really good to work again. i needed the break anyway. was getting really worn out and burned out.

so, it was good. gonna finish out march with tracie and then go back to the firm's 2010 challenge.

josie, are your grandkids coming from el paso?? i hope you have fun. we had a ball, even though i'm exhausted. :) i've never kept the 1 yr. old before, cuz she was nursing, but this time i had alllllllllllll 3. they are 4, 3, &1, needless to say, didn't get much else done, it has been spring break so i had my neice last week to help and then another girl this week. i don't think i woulda survived without them. i can't be saddling horses w/a 1 yr old running under them. NOT GOOD!

garance, i LOVE spring, calves, foals, and bluebonnets. our bluebonnets are gorgeous this year with all the rain we have had. i pray the rain keeps coming so we can have hay this summer.

Tuesday I did a bike warm up, treadmill for 20, and disk 27. It was not a bad workout and I was able to increase weight on several moves. wed we did a hike that rurned out pretty hard. some fresh snow up high and we sunk in misrably. should have taken snowshoes but all trip reports were saying we didn't need them. "post holing" is what this is called and it requires no explanation and gets no recommendation. a pretty sping like day , very warm, 70 degrees down here in the lowlands. very warm up on the snow at 5000 feet too.

I read the exercise recommendations in the paper too, dismal. I agree, garance, I thought I was a saint but apparently just doing minimum maintenance. It's one reason I'm working so hard onthe weights, to build up more muscle so maybe ?? I'll keep burning calories better. so yesterday I did a HARD 5 hours. today I'll do more weights, the cardio yesterday should cover for a day.

Cathy, do bluebonnets have another name? I've heard the term but we must call them something else. are they lupine?

Joan, that is so kind of you to take her in for therapy. lymphedema is awful. my mother had it in her leg after a DVT and it took forever to recede and never entirely went away. I had a tiny bit in my arm after my DVT but it was minimal and went away quickly but I sure don't want to revisit it. hope you find a better therapy place. that just seems like a no-brainer, to make your PT offices easily accessible!

my GM had dementia bad like that. she'd keep repeating the same question until you were ready to push her out the window. not a kind thought, but honest. short term memory is so important and when it's gone I don;t know what can be done other than to control seizures so it doesn;t get worse. FIL is getting pretty bad too.

traildoggie, yes, that is the scientific name and there are different varieties. did n't know bluebonnets themselves grew anywhere but here. they are basically a weed, but they are beautiful and they smell fabulous. when you stand in a field of them the fragrance is wonderful.

off to do tracie's new staying power. ta ta

Hi Ladies,

I did not workout yesterday. I will be spinning tonight and I have the day off tomorrow and I will be on vacation next week. I will be working out on the elliptical tomorrow plus a bodyflow class offered by my gym. It is a combination of tai chi, Pilates and yoga. On Saturday I will be doing a 54 mile ride and Sunday I'm off to pick up my grandkids.

Cathy, my grandkids like in Hanford, California, it is about 3 hours away from my house.
It is near Fresno. I only have a few cousins left in El Paso and we are not close, so I don't have a reason to go there anymore.

I will try to check in while I'm on vacation.

Have a great weekend everyone!

This morning I did SH tris, bis, and abs (60 min.).

So today is mild (currently 58 degrees), but it's supposed to start with rain tonight, turn to snow, and only go up to 38 degrees tomorrow. This is what spring is like in New England, so unlike you, Cathy, I have--at best--a love/hate relationship with spring. Sometimes it's beautiful and mild, sometimes it's just more winter. I have heard, though, that Texas is famous for its blooming wildflowers in the spring. I don't think I could handle three grandkids at those ages, so hats off to you!

All done grading, so now I am finishing re-reading Austen's Emma for class when they come back. Very enjoyable. Any Austen fans? Usually my women students love her, the men not so much. DH keeps telling me I should try Tom Jones for this class, but it's so long, and this is a survey course. Won't have to worry about it much longer, though, because I'm pretty sure I am retiring after 3 more semesters.

Valerie, my clivia is blooming now, but it's an inside plant. Gorgeous orange flowers. Nothing other than my Christmas rose outside.

Hi to Joan, Deb, and Josie!!

Hi ladies,

I have 378 returns in and only 59 more (if they come at all). At least 10 more will come in because they have appointments. That means 48 returns that I need to finish and then a possible 59 more. 107 returns in 19 days. That's not bad only 6 per day. I really want to leave April 13 for vacation and see Cher's last show at Caesars Palace but will probably feel too guilty so we would leave a week later.

They couldn't do the lymphedema treatment in our house. I thought that must mean they needed special equipment but I'm not sure. I have found a new pt group but it will have to wait until we get back. We will continue massage and wrapping until then. Deb, we can't get compression stockings until we get the swelling way down. They don't fit. Think about putting 3/4 of a baseball on top of each foot. We get the stitches out around her eye tomorrow. Thankfully it hasn't hurt and other than the black eye is healing nicely.

Garance As much as I complain I don't ever want to retire. I will NOT take any new clients next year.

Babysat Elliot while dil went to doctor. Luke or Lucas is due any day now.
Elliot had been telling me the new baby's name was Flower Dog. Today she said the new babys name is Luke but she was going to call him Flower Dog. I guess that is an improvement.

Joan

Interesting day today.. at around 11 our phone, cable and internet service suddenly went out. I was doing 15 different things all depending on the phone so switched to the cell and got most done. It's 5:30 and I just found out the cable guy accidentally disconnected our feed thinking it was the neighbor's... or something like that. amazing how crippled everything is without phone TV, internet. I exercised and watched a rolling stones concert that was outstanding, if you're a stones fan. Shine a Light. I ran for an hour and burned myself out. It's a movie ( martin scorsese) of a concert and I really enjoyed it. I ran faster than usual too! I don't like working out to just music, but put pictures with it and I love it. those guys are pretty old but they still rock.

Joan what do you use, ace wraps? even if you can get them on most people really fight against compression stockings. they are hard to get on and not very comfortable although they are important and do help so a mixed blessing. I've heard using talcum powder and wearing rubber gloves helps to get them on. not somethign to look forward to. Does elevation help?

Cathy, lupine...pea/ vetch plant family. there are huge fields of them in the mountains. usually mixed with other wild flowers, but a LOT of lupine around here, above solid tree line, 3000 to 4000 feet elevation. they smell great. I don't know if we'd have them down lower because probably not much is as it was before things were settled and changed forever. I love the color and the fragrance.

Josie, this is the "big ride" vacation? Good luck, hope it's a load of fun with great weather and scenery.

garance, the indoor flowers I have are a big pot of amaryllis. they're nice and last a long time. I dont know clivia. we're really spoiled here, spring has more stuff blooming than any other time , trees, heather, it's gorgeous outside right now. best time of the year for flowers here is spring. rhodies and azaleas, some blooming already and many more coming.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.