Penagenarians & Beyond: W/B 9/30

fox2star

Cathlete
Good morning,

today I did the KCM workouts 1&2 all DB pre-mix. I like this one a lot.

Valerie, welcome back! It sounds like you had a good time. Also, that your DH is ready to retire. I am right there with him.

Garance, I had a jacket like that too, a while ago. It was a tweedy blue and white one. Liked it a lot, but got tired of it, so I think I donated it to one of those places that takes business clothes for women who are trying to get into the workplace.

Off in a bit to the Apple store to look at iPads for DH's birthday gift we never made it there yesterday.

Take care,

Hi Deb and any later posters--

This morning I did the 45 min. premix (both workouts) on KCM's Plateau Buster.

I did get some fabric swatches from Mood fabrics in NYC and am trying to decide on the boucle I will get. I want to sew a pencil skirt as well, so it will be a complete suit. It will probably take me months to finish because there are so many little haute couture details if you really want it to be Chanel and not just a simple boxy jacket.

Went to see Looper yesterday. It's really good and sort of shifts from being a time travel action movie to something more intimate and human.

Butternut squashes galore. Guess I will be making some soup!!

Good morning,

I did an I-Tread this morning, 35 minutes. Kylee woke up at 3:00 am, I kept quiet until around 4:00 when I figured she really needed to go out. Still trying to do all we can to keep her from vomiting. We are at aound 3 times a week now, better than it was, but still not gone. How do you feed a dog every 4 hours around the clock?

Garance, that movie got a good rating from our local movie reviewer. Not sure what you mean by haute couture details in the jacket. Does the pattern show you these? Love butternut squash. We usually get a bushel from the a market where they get their produce from local farmers.

We got the iPad yesterday and DH spent most of the evening reading the user manual.

That's it for now, take care,

This morning I did both workouts on KCM's Cardio Quick Fix (45 min.).

Deb, there's a lot of intricate handwork on haute couture--handmade buttonholes, quilting of the lining with padstitching to maintain the jacket's shape, little chainweights for the hem to keep it from rolling, braiding made from the fabric itself, and yes, this pattern comes with instructions.

I admire your patience and love for both of your dogs. I don't think, given the health issues you have reported, that I would dare to buy this breed. And then, we live on a farm, and there's too much trouble they could get into around here. Max has been surreptitiously rolling in turkey manure whenever he gets the chance and DH has to hose him down and make him feel ridiculous. He does know the words "Don't roll" followed by whatever tempts him. He has a beautiful coat when he's clean and burr free, but he clearly doesn't care.

Hi to Josie, Joan, and Valerie!

Good morning,

I just finished a KCM weight workout. My Kylee alarm got me up at 4:00 so I just stayed up and got the workout out of the way. Today is my brother's birthday and we are going there for dinner/cake etc. He is 65 today. Where does the time go? To me he is still that bratty big brother that didn't want me hanging around with him, but also the one that came to my defense if anyone tried to hurt me in any way.

Garance, that jacket will be beautiful when you finish it! Max has the life every dog envies! As for my dogs, I don't think it's the breed, I am just the "lucky" one that gets the ones with problems. Although Kelsey had some issues, most were accidents, like when she had the torn ACL ( Keegan's fault) and dislocated hip. Besides allergies, she was pretty good and lived to 15. Now Keegan has the bladder thing, and who knows what Kylee's problem is. Hopefully not pancreatitus. OUr first wire had no health issues, but dies at 11 of cancer, same with Clancy. I hear of more dogs getting cancer than ever before. I wonder if it's the water or something around here. Or maybe when we were young, they just died and no one really knew what it was? I don't think people took them to the vet the way we do now.

picklewave.gif
to Valerie, Joan & Josie,

Take care,

This morning I did the upper body premix on High Reps (39 min.).

I wish any of my older sisters were alive. Enjoy your brother, Deb!

Made a big pot of butternut squash soup last night. Wonderful epicurious.com recipe with cider cream. We will be having that tonight and tomorrow night and . . . .

I am off to the mall this afternoon to buy a pair of leather gloves. I do this every year because I ruin them annually. Why, you may ask? because I slather my hands with lotion before putting them in my gloves and by the end of winter, they are soggy. Crazy, I know.

So Cathe starts filming this Saturday. I wonder how soon we will know if these workouts are not crazy intense with jumping.

we finished up our vacation with two road bike trips, a mt bike trip, and yesterday a combo mt biking and a hike. whew. that was a hard day yesterday. it's a 5 mile mt bike, then about a 2 mile hike, then 2 miles back down ... very steep. then the 5 miles ride back out. my pack kept falling off the back of the bike and causing stability issues. oh yes, and wade a small river midway. it was a fun trip. we are still in a dry spell, and will be setting some records for length of time without measurable rain. I actually miss it!

sounds like a nice sewing project..... I never liked sewing & go to great extremes to avoid it. I have a machine but use it for repairs and little else. I actually made some upholstered seat cushions for our VW bus many years ago. they were very difficult but turned out great and were the only part of the vehicle that still was holding up when we finally gave it away a few years ago.

I was told that all the intense inbreeding to create special desirable characteristics in dog breeds results in some short comings too. more vulnerability to illness being one side effect.

so , everyone gearing up to watch the debates? I've been a solid Democrat for years now so no contest for me. I used to be more of a middle -of- the- road split- the- ticket voter but since the repubs swung to the right, I don't even consider them anymore. too bad, I liked having a choice.

Good morning,

The Kylee Sleep Killer was activated at 3:00 am, so getting up an hour later wasn't happening. Then the other SK wanted to go out at 4:45. Ugh.

We had a nice dinner and visit with my brother and his family. 6 grandsons, from the age of 2 through 12. Needless to say, it was noisy but a lot of fun to watch.

Garance, I am really looking forward to this series being completed. I am not worried about any high impact, with the low impact series, I now find it is pretty easy to modify anything she does.

Valerie, nice end to your vacation. We may watch some of the debates, but maybe not. I don't want to get into politics here but needless to say, I am ready for a BIG change.

Hi to Josie, & Joan,

Take care,

Hi Ladies,

I had a nice weekend. I went to the 80’s concert with my friend Claudia and we had a ball!

On Saturday I went to a yoga blend and dance works class which I enjoyed very much.
No workout on Sunday, slept in. Monday I went to a cardio flow yoga class that kicked
my butt, so I loved it ;) yesterday I did 3 workouts, spinning at lunch, dace work and
a sculpt class in the evening. My DD joined me for the sculpt class and has decided
to join the gym, so now I have a partner :) today I will be taking the cardio flow yoga
class. I will not be able to workout this weekend, so I’m trying to burn as many calories
as I can. I will be visiting my peanuts along with my DS. Can’t wait!!

Garance, I wish I could sew; I took a class when I was in Jr. High and I enjoyed it very
much, but did not keep it up. I did learn how to mend and fix a hem which I still use.

Valerie, welcome back!

Deb, my Astro died of cancer, but he did not suffer much thank to or wonderful Vet.

Hi to Joan!

Josie

Deb, I don't like to argue politics either, that's about as far as I go into the fight in public places.

We're going to ride again today. yesterday all I got in was yoga. I had an appt to get my wayward DW re-attached but the repair guy called at 3:30 and said he was running about 3 hours late. so I rescheduled for friday.

another preachy bit about the value of colonoscopy screening..... MIL has a bladder tumor, directly related to the large colon tumor removed a year ago. we were quite sure that's what it was, but needed pathology report to be sure. they reduced the size of it and will repeat the procedure in a couple months. meantime she has to see oncology for what else can be done. so sad, so unnecessary because she refused (time and time again) to get screened even though family history for colon CA was strong. overwhelming, actually. would not even do stool cards... done at home in your own bathroom... even though we sent them to her, several times. she's a lovely person. I could not have had a nicer MIL and I hate to see her suffer through this. 3 of the 4 children have had screenings, but one is holding out and doesn't want to do it..... not that anyone WANTS to do it, but it beats this outcome.

Hi Deb, Josie, Joan, and Valerie--

This morning I did the lower impact premix on Crossfire (56 min.).

Poor Kylee and Keegan! Now they are notorious sleep killers. Maybe they should be renamed Insomnia and Cocaine. I am also looking forward to these new workouts, Deb, but if they are too high impact I will cancel my presale. I don't like to do so many modifications that it's a different workout altogether.

Valerie, I will definitely be watching the debates. I don't think I could vote for a Republican for any office this time around. They are too radical for me. Mitt Romney bought off Jane Swift (my neighbor) so he could be the Republican nominee for governor. He has also veered sharply to the right from what he was like here in Massachusetts. Paul Ryan is evasive and both of them seem to be saying, "Just trust us and we will give you our plans later."

Josie, three workouts in one day?! It sounds like you are really looking forward to seeing your grandchildren. I love sewing, but I have certainly had my share of flops. I just enjoy seeing how something gradually comes together. I also love to look at fabrics and imagine what they would be like in a garment. It's very relaxing if you don't feel pressured to finish a garment. Just a little every day.

Garance,

I felt fine after the 3 workouts. I slept through the night and I'm fine today. I wish I could see my peanuts everyday if I could.

Josie

Good morning,

Very tired today, up at 3:30 with both dogs, who needed to go out badly. I guess it's all those treats during class on Wednesday night.

Josie, after those 3 workouts I would be taking a nap. Just think, once you retire you can spend all kinds of time with your peanuts!

Valerie, still no DW? I thought it was all fixed. I hear you on the colonoscopy test and those that avoid it. My good friend is one of them. Her father had colon cancer, and she has not had a colonoscopy done yet. No matter how I nag etc, I think she is afraid to hear the results. I don't understand that kind of mindset. I hope your MIL gets to have some quality time after all this is done.

Garance, Insomniac would be a great name for Kylee! LOL. I think at least 7 out of 9 of the workouts will be low impact, not too sure about Hard Strike, the kickbox one, but that is no big deal to modify. I am just glad that she decided to make them shorter than normal. I can't wait to see the jacket when you are done.

Hair cut/color & pedi tonight.

Off for the last of the coffee before having to leave,

picklewave.gif
for now...

Deb the DW works fine now but it has vibrated to one side of the opening, making the door hard to close. I shoved it back in place but he must not have gotten the mounting screws attached. it should not be a big deal to fix but we don't want to do it ourselves in case there's a "bigger" issue, like a broken mount or something. rescheduled for tomorrow but won't have a time until later.

did a ride yesterday but got about 2/3 done and ran into the brushcutting team who closed the trail from tghwere on so got in a little better than 20 miles. getting COLD in the morning. we had on several layers.

Oh that is too funny!! Insomniac and Cocaine... ? so what's the consensus on the debate? I thought Romney acted like he was on meth! these things are more about impressions than actual facts.

This morning I did Gym Style back, bis, sh (50 min.).

Deb, where did you see the information on the new workouts? Is this new stuff, or did I just miss reading about them? I have pretty much decided on a red boucle with a very subtle plaid for my Chanel jacket. I read through all the directions yesterday and expect to be spending a lot of time doing this. I read somewhere that another woman clocked 70 hours making the jacket. I only sew for 90 minutes every other day, so that means.....

Valerie, that does sound very sad about your mil. I just don't get people who resist screenings. I think Katie Couric was really helpful when she did her colonoscopy on the Today show. The pundits all say Mitt won the debate, but I thought he was smirking through the whole thing and really rolled over poor lost-control Jim Lehrer. Once again, I think he's purposely evasive--I mean, really, not funding NPR or PBS is hardly going to get the deficit under control. I think he's a flim-flam man and just don't believe his 5 point plan passes the smell test. I thought Obama was blah, and I felt like his mother because I kept saying, "hold your head up!" Maybe Michelle can give him a good talking-to. Gov. Howard Dean said that you can tell who is doing well by just turning off the sound and looking at body language. I might try that next time.

Hi to Josie and Joan!

I feel so bad for MIL. it sounds like she has lost her will to fight, and maybe that's just as well. DH's family has a bad hx for cancer in general, but especially colon cancer. on both sides. DH's grandmother and aunt had colon CA. the aunt was caught early enough to not have spread although she had a big chunk of colon removed. they lived near us so I was very involved in their illnesses and was driver for many procedures. there were others too, but their family is so convoluted it's hard to keep relationships straight.
Yes, Katie was a big influence. I kept telling myself that if she could do it on national TV, I could certainly do one privately. Her openness about the test made it easier to speak publicly about it. of course, DH with his family hx, would not be taking "no" for an answer. I don't have any fam hx but obviously a "history" has to start somewhere.

I really think my late FIL was the main impediment. He never had a colonoscopy and I think it was because it might have cost a few dollars out of pocket since insurance has not always covered the entire cost. he was cheap cheap cheap and resisted anything that cost $$ regardless of the benefit. even tho his father died of colon cancer! we tried to get both of them screened, many times, and they refused again and again. to me it's equivalent to not getting immunizations.... just a basic health care process to be completed.

I agree on the debate... Romney kept interrupting and talking over Lehrer. Lehrer didn't keep very good control of the interaction. he wasn't the first to do poorly at that! I thought Obama was cool and calm and made sense while Romney was excited and jumping all over the map like he was on speed. Obama missed some points he could have taken against Romney.

Good morning,

late one today, got home around 7:30 from a hair cut etc. Another night in the yard with Keegan this time, he got DH up twice, and one of the times was vomiting. Not sure what is going on with him now.

Garance, scroll down to the bottom of the page: XTRAIN Workouts
Does it mean that your jacket will be done by 2015? LOL...

Valerie, so sad about your MIL and the family in general for not listening to doctors or their loved ones about the test. Yes it is not a fun thing, but so important, and except for the prep, it's a breeze.

Going to DC on Sunday, so tomorrow I will have to figure out what to pack etc. The big question, do I take workout stuff or not? They have a decent gym, with about 4 treadmills etc, but not sure if I want to lug all that extra stuff, if I don;t use it.

off to get ready to go...take care,

Deb, it's especially aggravating when their SON is an MD and they still won't listen!!

How much free time will you have in DC? If you clearly will have free time, I'd take workout stuff. road trips are hard to control calories and even one mild workout can help keep on track. If time will be tight and scheduled, then I wouldn't bother.

Lynda, 70 hours would be WAY too much fun for me! Ugh, hate sewing. I have no skills whatsoever and stick to simple repairs, those I can handle.

The revolt of the appliances continues. I turned on the oven yesterday to bake some snack bars for hiking. Dh needed me to help with something outside so I turned it on, set the heat down to 300 degrees( it automatically goes to 350) and let it preheat while I was outside. took longer than I expected but when I came back the oven had somehow gone into a cleaning cycle, door locked, strange error codes on the display. I could not get it to shut off and had to pull the breaker. so it's toast. it's about 10 years old. so need to go buy another ASAP.

Hi Ladies,

I only did a spin class yesterday because my legs were fried by the end of the class. I will not be working out for the next 3 days so, I tried to burn as many calories as a could during the week.

I will be riding to Hanford to visit the peanuts tomorrow. Can’t wait!

Garance, I agree with you on the debate and love your comment about the 5 point plan not passing the smell test :)

Deb, sorry to hear your baby is not feeling well. Maybe the food is not agreeing with her? Regarding Garance’s jacket not being finished until 2015. At least it is a Chanel
Jacket and it will always be in stile.

Hi to Valerie and Joan!

Josie

This morning I did the 39 minute low impact premix on TTM.

Thanks for the link, Deb. I will do some serious reading and then wait for pictures now that they are beginning to film. Poor Keegan! Hope it's nothing serious. Well, I hope to finish the jacket sooner than that, but who knows, maybe it will take that long. I don't care as long as it's still in style in 2015 (Thanks, Josie!). I have a friend who is a quilter, and it usually takes a year for her to make one quilt. But they are so beautiful and one-of-a-kind.

Well now the pundits report that the most memorable moment in the debate was Mitt Romney's attack on Big Bird--no funding for you! The most tweets or something and lots of one-liners: "Is Elmo next?" and "Miss Piggy is outraged." A Big Bird protester showed up at a Romney rally. I still remember when my sons were little watching Sesame Street and their dad said, "Big Bird is too nice for me." The youngest one turned to him and said, "You can never be too nice!" DH was suitably chastened and said, "You're absolutely right. I won't forget that."

Josie, enjoy your peanuts, and if you let them run you ragged, you will burn plenty of calories.

Hi to Valerie!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.