P90X January Starters, Wednesday

Fit_mommy

Cathlete
Good Morning X'ers!:)

Classic/Phase 1/Day 3

I have Shoulders + Arms and ARX on tap for this afternoon and then a step class at the gym tonight! YES, I'm going to be one tired puppy later on! :p

Well, my legs are a bit sore from Plyo y'day but not bad. B&G has DEFINATELY done far worse to me in the past!;)

Can't hang around this morning...hafta get the little guy up. I have to work this morning. I'll check back later!

Ciao!:)

Good Morning - ) I am definitely the PM exerciser here, so I will post what I thought about last nights workouts. . .

Last night I did the Legs and Back workout....(I am one day behind where I want to be in the rotation)....

I thought it was an interesting workout....now that I understand the leg exercises, I am sure next time I will get more out of them instead of watching for the first two reps and then joining in. I am going to stick to this rotation, but I am sure that Cathe's B&G workout is ten times harder than this leg workout. I could have easily pumped out a few more reps of each leg exercise. Hmmmm maybe I need to do an add on of Cathe's floorwork from B&G??

Anyways, tonight is KenpoX (I believe), and if my body allows, I will followup with whatever workout is next to play catch-up. Plus I know my (P*riod) is on its way which means on the first day I get that, I will be nonmobile. (I get wretched headaches that make me dizzy and cramps that 8 midols a day cannot get rid of....so I usually do this light yoga thing to try to breath through it.)

Hope everyone has a great workout today!!! it is beautiful here in NE today :) Its cold, but the sun is out :)

good morning... this morning was yoga.... not much to say about it.... i got up at 4 a.m. so we could start at 4:30....

tonight i'm doing a spinerval workout on the bike (i like those about as much as i like yoga! *sigh*)

-------------
cute work out clothes are good for AT LEAST an additional 10-15 calories burned!

Good morning Ladies!!

I am surprised I am not sore today!! YAYAYAYAYAY .. about time!! My shoulders are tight b/c of my class last night but that is it .. YAYAYAYAYA!!!:)

today is arms and shoulders!! :) going to go heavier this time .. and see how it goes!

tonight's class is all cardio and abs ..

I have major PMS .. so trying to keep my spirit and energy up! x(

We are going out of town this weekend .. maybe deep sea fishing.. so I have got to do some major re-arranging on the workouts .. b/c fishing is up at 5:00 and out .. and not back till 5:00 .. no exercise except reeling in "the big one" .. LOL:)

OK .. have a great day .. great workouts and I will check in later!!

Hi everybody.

Wendy-I must have missed it....you're working? Is this at the gym? I remember reading a few months back that you were offered something there? Is my memory right or am I losing it? LOL

Reba-I'm getting a hankerin' for B&G. And I agree, that the DOMS after B&G is worse then P90X's leg workout.

Hey, Laura-so you're a fisherwoman? Do you like it or are you doing it for DH's sake? I'm curious.

Desertbriez-I've got yoga tomorrow morning. It will be an early night for me tonigh to get up early enough to get all 90+ minutes in.

OK...me:
Classic/Pahse 1/Week 2/Day 3

This morning was Shoulders & Arms, Core Max 2 (sub'd for ARX) and then laps at the Y's pool (3/4 mile). WOW. I increased my weights on almost every exercise, using up to 20s on many of them. OUCH! LOL. Felt great though, and I was still able to get within the 12-15 rep range for everything.

Here's my thinking on this P90X set so far. Keeping in mind, of course, that I'm only 2 weeks into it. I think I would like more lower body weight work. I love lower body weights. But, having done all the workouts of Phase 1 now, I'm thinking that the leg work is comparable to freestyle training???? Maybe? Lot of body weight movements, several times a week. Am I seeing it right? LOL

OK...gotta get some stuff done.

Gayle

Hi Everyone,

I didn't have a chance to check in yesterday, but I did Chest & Back at the rec ctr using the assisted pull up machine. I can really feel it today and will continue to do chest & back at the rec ctr. This morning was plyometrics. This workout is growing on me and it is a great calorie burner also.

I see that Wendy has joined us. How is your running going? I haven't ran since my last half marathon in September. I have a stress fracture in my foot and it hurts too bad when I run.

Reba-I felt the same way about legs and back. I've been adding Butts & Guts 2 times a week to this rotation. I need all the help I can get with my lower body. I'm thinking of adding Leaner Legs and GS Legs for this next week. I understand the PMS problems. I had a hysterectomy since I ended up with liver damage from taking so many pain meds during TOM. I feel so much better now and my liver is back to normal.

desertbriez-What do you think of yoga x. I haven't done that workout-I usually do a cardio instead. I would have to do it at night as I don't have 90 min in the morning.

Poochy-Have a wonderful time fishing. So far Arms & Shoulders is my favorite workout.

Gayle-As I mentioned before, I also add Cathe leg workouts to this rotation. You sound like superwoman to me. All that swimming, and fitness classes with your kids and P90X. You rock!!

Keep up the good work everyone.

Diana

<<<Hey, Laura-so you're a fisherwoman? Do you like it or are you doing it for DH's sake? I'm curious>>>

LOL .. I get that a lot! :) I AM a fisherwoman .. one H### of a fisherwoman if I do say so myself!! I LOVE IT!! I love freshwater or saltwater fishing .. although the big blue sea is my favorite .. {bigger fish and I love the sea} .. I actually got hubby into deep sea fishing .. he was a "bass" fisherman .. and didn't think it could get any better .. we chartered a boat and he was hooked from the first moment he felt a hit! Now we have our own boat and he is the captain and I am the co-captain!

We also scuba dive . . and love to go to the Keys lobstering once a year!!

Funny thing is (well not so funny) .. DH gets sea sick .. BAAAADD!:-( .. and (knock on wood) I don't .. he takes Bonine and does fine w/it now .. but if it is rough .. co-captain here has to drive on the way back .. LOL .. He says if he ever catches me sea sick he is going to go due south and take me as far away from land as posible!! LOL .. we fish about 30 miles out on average .. so think that would put us near Cuba if he did .. LOL

I unfortunely am usually the only female .. with a lot of guys .. but they only see me as a "bud" .. hhmmm .. makes me wonder a little .. x( ... just kidding .. they know that once I get my beauty nap/sun in on the way out .. once I drop the hook .. "it's on" ..

.. like I said earlier .. DH is lucky .. LOL .. fun thing is all the guys constantly remind him how lucky he is to have a wife that loves the things he does ... :7 (and that make me lucky)

Good Afternoon Everyone.

Gayle: Your memory serves you well. I am working in the daycare at my gym. It's only about 9 hours a week and the $ is minimal but it gives me and Joey somewhere to go 3 mornings a week. It allows me to socialize with adults and him with other kids plus whatever $ I do make always helps. :)

Diana: Yes, I'm still running. I was running 2-3x per week up until I began the X. I am running 1x per week while doing the X. When I am done with this X rotation I am actually going to begin training for a half marathon!}( Sorry about your injury. How long will that take to heal? How are you enjoying the X?

Laura: I did shoulders and arms today as well. GREAT work out, huh? My grandfather loved to fish. He would go out with his neighbor who had a boat all of the time. My DH's cousin is a HUGE fisherman! He takes a trip to Guatamala every year and goes on a chartered fishing trip with buddies. They sleep on the boat for the entire trip.

Well, shoulders and arms is done and I LOVED IT!!!! I upped my weights in round 2 on almost everything! I may up them again next time as well! I love his format. I never felt too tired to do the next exercise or the next round because he never works 2 exercises for the same body part back to back. I subbed in BM2's ab work for ARX. I just wasn't in the mood for it today. I think BM2 is a tough ab work out though so I certainly don't feel like a wimp for subbing it in. :)

Even after all of that, I still have energy for tonight's step class! Woo hoo! Ofcourse....that is over 2 hours away....we'll see how I feel when it gets closer!:p

Have a great afternoon ladies!

Yoga tomorrow!:eek: :eek: :eek:

>desertbriez-What do you think of yoga x. I haven't done that
>workout-I usually do a cardio instead. I would have to do it
>at night as I don't have 90 min in the morning.

hi diana.... i have one of those love/hate things going on with yoga... prior to doing p90x the first time... i had never done yoga (except for whatever is incorporated to warmups or cooldowns....) so it was all new to me...

i decided like the yoga workout to a point.... what i didn't like was (is) that it's 90 minutes long... it's so intimitating to think of having to do that every week for the next 3 months and 2 times during recovery...

but when i think about it logically.... the weight workout are almost that long.... maybe 10 minuted shorter.... by the time you add ab ripper X... so yoga's not THAT much longer!

it's mostly mental with me.... it's not a "fun" workout like so many of cathe's that are also pretty long that i willingly do.....

since i hadn't done yoga before.... i had nothing to compare it to... since then i bought some yoga dvd's but never cared for most of them (i actually like the two MTV ones the best... go figure! and have done each of them a few times... i also have a set of shorter ones that i kind of like but... get this.... they are too short! lol!)

i remember reading somewhere just recently that someone else does their yoga about the same way tony does... kestel or somthing like that? is that right? if so.... i think i'd like to get a dvd or his/hers to try out!

as for the workout itself... it is challenging to me.... i can't do crane more than a few seconds... and i can't hold the backward stand on my hands (bridge and ????? i'm pulling a blank on what it's called?????) i can start out up on my hands when it's time.... but have to lower to the shoulders version before the end of the time....

OH... and royal dance hurts my right knee??????????? not my left when i do that one... but only my right? can't figure that out????

i know overall it's good for me and helps with flexibility... so it's a good thing!

-------------
cute work out clothes are good for AT LEAST an additional 10-15 calories burned!

Thanks for the info desertbriez. Several years ago I took a power yoga class that I really enjoyed. Being a former gymnast, I am pretty flexible already. Not in the bend myself into a pretzel, but more flexible than many. Since I have some weight to lose,I just felt the extra cardio was needed. I am definetly going to try to do yoga x on the weekend and let you know what I think.

Diana

Hi Everyone -

Classic/Phase 1/Week 2/Day2

Just finished Plyometrics and I love this workout. Still didn't do too many "high jumps" (I'm afraid for my knees) but I definitely brought it better than last week. I was sweating, that's for sure!

I did ABX yesterday and my core is hurting today. Thank goodness as I was beginning to think that this was a hip flexor workout and actually they feel ok today.

I like this check-in. I feel like I have to come home and get right to it and this check-in makes me feel accountable. (Did I just make sense, or not?) Still oxygen deprived, I guess.

What's everyone using for a recovery drink? I bought some non-fat chocolate milk (130 calories/serving) at least for now. I don't know what my plan is for the future. I had bought some Boost but I hate drinking all of those calories (260). I read on the Beachbody forum that some people were using chocolate milk as it's a 4:1 ratio which is what the recovery drink is.

I also started to read BFFM and I'm up to Chapter 4. I have a lot to learn about nutrition. I eat very clean but I know I'm not eating properly. I definitely eat more carbs than protein - a lot more.

Okay, off to a wake, unfortunately. I'll probably have a small dinner when I return.

Have a great night everyone!!!

Nancy

Oooh, I didn't realize there was a January starters check-in for P90X! I have been checking in over at the Ya's, but I'll check in here, too! :)

I am on week 2 of the classics rotation. I have to say, I am really enjoying the workouts so far. Chest & Back does have a HUGE dread factor for me but once I start I'm ok. I'm also totally wimpy on ARX - anyone else having that issue? I'm not sure if I need to start somewhere else or what. I just feel a lot of pressure on my lower back with some of the exercises. Ah, well.

On the question of Yoga X, I just ordered Callanetics and if it passes muster, I may do that with the first 30 minutes of Yoga X instead of YX all the way through. I agree the issue with that is the mental part. I mean, it's difficult to look at the timer and see that big oll 90!

Gayle, did you get any DOMS from the leg workout? I swear I wasn't that impressed with it, either, but then I had DOMS for three days afterwards! I couldn't believe it. Sneaky lunges indeed...

Glad to see you all here!

Marie

hi marie!

yay! another checker-inner!!!!!

i remembered legs and back from last time as not being that intense of a workout (as compared to most of cathe's).... however last week i was SO sore for days afterwards?????? most especially the outer portion of my quads (almost the side of my legs but still toward the front part... hard to explain!) not sure WHAT caused them.... i was thinking maybe the wall squats cuz i made sure to get way deep in my sit?????? we'll see what happend tomorrow!

i'm excited to do tomorrow's workout (cuz i get to use the pull up tower again! yippee!!!!!!)

welcome to the check in! yay! more peeps!!!!

-------------

>remembered legs and back from last time as not being that
>intense of a workout (as compared to most of cathe's)....
>however last week i was SO sore for days afterwards??????
>most especially the outer portion of my quads (almost the side
>of my legs but still toward the front part... hard to
>explain!) not sure WHAT caused them.... i was thinking maybe
>the wall squats cuz i made sure to get way deep in my
>sit?????? we'll see what happend tomorrow!

You know what I think? I think my body was really primed to go deep and hard with most of the exercises, because I'd been doing Cathe's new series for the 7 or so weeks prior to that (ok, minus the sugar-fueled Christmas fiasco week, lol). So I think that means we're able to get a much deeper stretch. My DOMS started in my butt which was on FIRE deep deep inside (which was so weird), then it was in the area where the hams and butt meet, then in the inner thighs. So strange! I am looking forward to doing it again this week to see if there's a diff.

I'm also going to bite the bullet and do YogaX in its entirety, after reading the other thread over on OD. I really want to get the max out of this rotation, so one must Suck. It. Up.

:7

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.