P90X January Starters, Thursday

Fit_mommy

Cathlete
Good Morning Xers!

CLASSIC/PHASE 1/WEEK 2/DAY 4

So I did Shoulders and Arms and ARX y'day and the first 60 mins of Yoga X after dinner. This morning I am hitting the gym for a class-either kickbox or spin. I'll decide at the last minute as they both start at the same time. At some point later on I will finish out Yoga X as well.

So I gotta ask ladies...in regards to the pull ups in the program...where are you all at? Assisted, unassisted...a bit of both? And if you assist, what do you use-chairs, bands, something else?? Just curious.:)

Ya know I think someone here (Marie possibly?) asked me about how I was diagnosed with arthritis in my neck. The first time it hurt me I went to the doc and they found it with Xrays.

Laura, My DH had kidney stones a few years ago. I hear it's worse for men then for women. He was basically in tears until the doc got the pain under control but even then it still hurt him pretty bad. Ofcourse...we all know that men are giant babies so it probably wasn't that bad after all!:p He didn't know what it was when the pain came on so I called 911. The emergency worker was a woman and made the mistake of comparing his passing a stone to a woman having a baby so my DH ran with that for a friggin' week until the stone was out! ACK! LOL :7

Nancy, I'm so glad you were able to do Plyo after all. Don't you love it when it works out? :)

Angie, So you are doing the rotation as is without changing or adding anything? Good for you. I had no choice but to mess with the cardio. That's okay though...I am still (already) seeing results!:) The next time I do the rotation I would like to do it exactly as written if I can.

Good Mornin' ladies:) Can you believe I actually said MORNIN? Hehe

Today's my day off so I like to cuddle up with the laptop and a cup of coffee after getting the kids off to school. Wish I had more of em:7 Days off - not kids - LOL!

Nancy - I'm so glad to hear of your success. I can so relate to how you feel. I read your posts and think - yup, that's me too. Isn't it weird how the new bod seems to just sneak up on you? I was lying on my side last night and my arm was resting on my side and I felt my thigh - or was it mine? Where was that curve up on my hip? And what happened to that squishy feeling on my lower thigh - it's hard now.:) :7 :) What a great revelation. So neat when you notice the change.

Someone posted in open discussion that the reason we are having success with the X is that we have never really done a strength rotation before. Well, that might be true. I took a weight lifting class about 15 years ago - so yup, it's been a while since I've done a strength routine. What can I say? I'm a video workout kind of girl. I need someone to walk me through it. I don't think I would be disciplined enough to do it on my own. Maybe I'll have to try it sometime.

Wendy - as far as pull ups - I'm still doing assisted with the chair with both legs for assistance and it's still a challenge! But, my arms are definitely getting results. I can do about 11-14 of them but can't seem to add much every week. I'm just gonna keep at it.

One question for you all - how much protein are you adding in? Are you taking protein supplements or just eating more in your diet? I'm adding a 20g bar pretty much every day and adding another 20g protein drink after strength workouts? Just curious what you are doing....

Will be doing YogaX today. I'm so glad it fell on my day off so I have lots of time to get it all in.

Well - got a house to clean and crap to sell on ebay since I think they have 20 cent listings today. I've got lots of non-Cathe workout videos to get rid of;)

Have a great day all

Angie

Good morning -

I'm so glad that I was able to get Plyo in last night. I feel so accomplished lately. I'm in awe of anyone doing more than that though. Even if I had the time after work, I wouldn't have the stamina. Yoga, S&A and ARX all in one day. Talk about feeling accomplished!!

Wendy - I'm using the bands with a door attachment. Pullups?...I don't think so. I think I'm getting pretty good results with the bands. I was not much of a "back" exerciser until now. I'm up to the green band I bought at Beachbody. I should have bought the heavier set of bands and started with the lighter in that set because I now have two other bands that aren't intense enough. I think I remember Kathryn warning to get the heavier set from the onset but, of course, I didn't listen, lol.

Angie - I've only done strength routines for the past few years. I'm not a cardio girl (that's why I love P90X, lol). Now granted, I never "brought it" like I've been doing lately but strength training is all I've ever done. Mostly Cathe workouts - not too heavy - but not too light either. Before that I worked out at a gym both in strength training classes and the weighted machines. What might be different is that I'm finally doing a rotation and it seems to be making me accountable too. I blew off a workout in the past and now I shake at the thought of missing one. Maybe that's the difference? I don't know but I feel good!!

I think that's enough. I better get to work although I rather be doing this. A&S and ABX on tap for me today. I'll check in tonight!

Have a nice day!

Nancy

Morning Ladies! {week three - day 4 .. my version of classic)

I am feeling better today .. (knock on wood) .. did the killer plyo/core torture class last night .. felt good! and just a little sore in my abdomen ...

today is Arms and Shoulders at lunch (my fav) ... then tonight is cardio/yoga class ..

Fit mom: LOl about the husband .. kidney stones are HORRIBLE .. and think they are more painful for men only b/c men can't handle "that" sort of pain .. cut off a limb yeah .. but nothing of that size coming out of their prize possesstion .. LOL:7 .. the dr.'s compare it to a gun shot wound as far as pain goes .. but when it feels better .. oooooooohhhhhh how it feels better .. although it zaps your energy and you feel like someone beat the crap out of you!!

as far as pull ups... I use an assist .. or the bands .. depending on where I do the workout .. I think I can eeek out a couple but feel like I get more out of the bands!!

and I did workout w/weights in the gym .. and in my class (more like what Cathe does .. lighter .. and not a million reps like P90x does) .. I think the difference is most women do not push themselves as far as push ups .. pull ups .. and upper body work .. for myself I would hit the biceps, triceps, lats and ONE set of push ups .. and that was it for upper body .. the X makes you do a MILLION reps on one or two specific muscles for an entire hour .. then nothing .. the next day one or two different specific muscles .. then no weight work and just cardio .. think that is a big difference in what most of us normally do .. and that is why it is working!

I try to "bring it" in all my workouts .. but can say I have never "brought it" like this working w/weights!:7

Ok Ladies .. gotta get to work .. will check in later .. here's to great workouts today!!! :D

Good Morning...

Answer to question on pullups - I was going to switch to bands, BUT then I figured out that if I used a step ladder and put one foot on and let the other foot dangle, it was perfect - and to increase the intensity, I just put my one foot closer to the floor until finally BOTH feet will be dangling :) Its tough though - I only did 10-12 of each, so going to hit 15 then move my foot down ;)

I remember when I first started to do Cathe about two years. I got AWESOME results - literally dropped a dress size. Then when I started teaching pilates and adding that almost daily, I think I got results again. Now I am hoping for the same thing. Basically I think when you change your routine every 4-6 months to something really different, you see results.....:) Since I had been using Cathe for weights primarily for the last two years, I thought it would be a good change just to do someone else's style and something different for awhile....I love the weight workouts, not crazy about the cardio ones yet....

Last night was first part of the yoga - that was all I could fit in
:( So much for feeling accomplished.

Tonight is Kenpo X and my rest day is Friday, but I might do the second half of Yoga X to get my stretch and balance work in . . .

BBL....

Good afternoon everyone.

I opted for the spin class this morning. I hadn't been to one in quite a while and after I got away from it I kept intending to go back to it and never did. It's a very challenging class for me...maybe that's why I never went back!? :eek: ;) :p :7

As far as my pull ups question, here's my answer: I did my very first day of P90X chest and back with the band over the door option. I wasn't fond of it but that might be b/c I didn't have enough resistance...I'm not sure. Anyway, I went to the bar and LOVE IT! It's tough and I have to assist with a chair. I use one foot only to assist and REALLY feel it! I can't get my chin all the way up over the bar though.:-( I can't put my assisting foot high enough on the chair w/o toppling it in order to get myself ALL the way up. I got MOST of the way though so I'm hoping I'm still getting the benefits. Goodness knows I feel it!}(

I'm feeling very sleepy. DS is down for a nap. I think I am headed to do the same!:p It's one of the bennies of being a SAHM w/a small house to clean and only one child to take care of! LOL

I'll check back with y'all later!

Good afternoon, ladies!

This is fast, but wanted to check in that I completed Shoulders & Arms and ARX this morning. I upped weight on everything except the one tricep move (flip-grip... it feels so awkward to me). For ARX, I did 12 reps of everything but the Mason Twist, which I did 40. Feels good!

Hope you all had a great workout!!!

Marie

PS: Wendy, the diff with the pull-up band assist is that you do get more of an assist. I am doing 8-12 reps with my chin above the bar, whereas unassisted I was doing... 0. :) I also found it more stable than the chair, personally, but YMMV! ;)

>>Someone posted in open discussion that the reason we are
>having success with the X is that we have never really done a
>strength rotation before.

This is a gross generalization and not exactly true. ANY lifting program gives you results if you haven't worked out before - that's the nature of the beast. Beginners realize gains very easily, because the body responds well. However, P90X works because it is designed to maximize your ability to gain strength and size. I've been lifting for years (years prior in the gym, last 2 or 3 with Cathe), and I am already seeing appreciable results. (The other thing is, the program is carefully designed and coupled with an eating program - many people ignore one component or the other.)

I stopped reading that thread because I thought it was really deterioriating. I don't know why people feel the need to constantly compare and bash instructors. If you don't like someone, just move on. Life is too short.

Marie

GRRRRRRRR! i'm mad at hubby today! you may remember i said "I" didn't plan to do this workout... hubby kind of sprung it on me that we were starting on the first.... but he swore he'd stick with the whole workout (he got injured at work last time and i was "stuck" doing a big portion of it alone.... NOT FUN!

sooooooooooooooooo last night he had to work overtime... didn't get home til midnight (i didn't know this til later on).... i get up at 4 a.m. and tell him to get up.. he tells me he's not gonna... UGH! GRRRRRRRRRRR so i b!tch and say "i wouldn't have even started this thing if i knew i was going to have to do it alone"... ya... big baby... (it's not just today... found out he has to go out of town for work all next week... come home for the weekend and go back fro part of the week after....)

but i got out there and did legs and back.... the legs don't do much for my now... the first week cuz they were different, i think the exercised really affected (effected?) me.. plus i was off work and riding each day.... last week not so much and so far today... it's kinda like "meh".... (i even grabbed weights for the groucho walk cuz i thought it would help pull me down into the squat!)

as far as pull ups... i'm still assisted.... some versions i can really get myself up and off the assister seat... others (wide grip) i have issues with... (close and normal are the "easiest" if you can call pull ups easy! lol! but relatively speaking...

i know last time by the time i got to phase 3, i think (i'll have to check my papers) i was doing a couple/few of unassisted of certain versions... i don't see me EVER doing wide grips unassisted nor do i ever see me doing a whole workout unassisted! but wouldn't that be too cool????

awwwww arthritis... kidney stones... you gals ROCK for doing these workouts (or any workouts) with those kinds of ailments!

ya... men are babies... (see above! lol! but after the fact... he doesn't do well on little sleep... i'm used to it... and can workout on 4 hours... but he's got to have his sleep or he's a mess! i'm sure he'll be going to bed early tonight to make up for it! which is ok as long as he gets up to do kenpo with me tomorrow! he says he's gonna do his workout after work... we'll see! it's supposed to be spinervals... i won't cry if i don't have to have a visit from coach troy... he's PURE EVIL!)

it's hard to stay motivated to do the same workouts over and over... i know we change up for phase 3... but so many remain the same (kenpo, yoga, legs).... i need to talk myself up to keep up! i know it's worth it in the end.....

-------------
cute work out clothes are good for AT LEAST an additional 10-15 calories burned!

>Someone posted in open discussion that the reason we are
>having success with the X is that we have never really done a
>strength rotation before. Well, that might be true. I took a
>weight lifting class about 15 years ago - so yup, it's been a
>while since I've done a strength routine. What can I say?
>I'm a video workout kind of girl. I need someone to walk me
>through it. I don't think I would be disciplined enough to do
>it on my own. Maybe I'll have to try it sometime.

i'm a video gurl, too! we have all the stuff that i could workout on my own... but i want someone telling what to do! lol! (and then i can gripe about them and call them name! lol!)

>
>One question for you all - how much protein are you adding in?
> Are you taking protein supplements or just eating more in
>your diet? I'm adding a 20g bar pretty much every day and
>adding another 20g protein drink after strength workouts?
>Just curious what you are doing....

we bought some EAS and i have one serving/scoop after weight workouts only (so that's.... 3 days right? i already have my diet down to the bare minimum of what i can cut out to keep my calories down... so i can't "afford" add more calories but decided i would for the 3 weight days.... i get lots of protein in my soy mild and cereal though.... so i think i'm ok! i hope anyways!

>Well - got a house to clean

mine will be waiting for you when your through with yours! lol!

-------------
cute work out clothes are good for AT LEAST an additional 10-15 calories burned!

(The other thing is, the program
>is carefully designed and coupled with an eating program -
>many people ignore one component or the other.)
>

we aren't doing their eating program.... i had already learned to eat healthy when we did it the first time.... so i ignored their plan... although we did look it over.... this time we didn't even consider their plan...

we already eat pretty clean for the most part... we know what we need to do (or i know what "I" need to do... and that's not have the cheats i started allowing myself on weekends!

and that reminds me that today i wanted to ask... how many are following the p90x diet plan?

i've already said i'm not.... but i have added one protein drink on weight workout mornings (so that means none next week... *pout*)

-------------

Hi Everyone,

This morning I did Shoulders & Arms (my favorite so far) and ARX. I am really starting to hate AR X. I think I get a much better AB workout with Cathe. I am starting to see some changes in my upper body but wish my lower body would come along too.

Wendy-For pullups, I use the assist machine at the rec ctr. I ordered the Door Gym but cannot even do 1 pullup. I really feel it in my back using the assist machine. I would like to get the bands and give them a try.

Angie-I have a protein shake or kashi go lean cereal w/a scoop of protein powder after my morning workouts. I am using Calorie King to track my food and exercise.

Nancy-glad to hear you got plyo X in after all. It's so nice when thinks workout right.

Reba-Wow, that's awesome that you can do so many pullups. I tried using my Door Gym and a chair and it just didn't workout for me. Obviously I need to keep trying.

Marie-I ordered P90X from ebay and only received the dvd's. I have not seen what the eating plan is. Right now I'm tracking calories, but I have used weight watchers in the past.

Desertbriez-Good luck with clean eating. I do my best but have a chocolate downfall. I just bought Tosca Reno's clean eating book. I'm not really sure why since I know what I should be eating. Hopefully it will help me. I think you could change up your cardio and do Cathe cardio instead. I think the point is to get in some kind of cardio workout.

Happy workouts all,

Diana

Laura-we share a favorite w/o Arms & Shoulders:)

red_mct-those flip grips are awkward. I used 8's this morning, which is up from 5's last week.

Hey ladies.

DB, Sorry about your DH being a pain but shouldn't we just learn to EXPECT that sort of thing from our men? LOL

Marie, I agree that the FGT kickbacks are awkward and I'll bet I'm doing them wrong as I don't really feel it like I do with a regular kickback.

Diana, There is a p/u machine at my gym as well but it would be impossible for me to do the work out there. It's on the main floor with all of the other machines. You are lucky that you can use the one at the rec cntr for your work out.

Okay, I have alot of housework to catch up on now...I'll check back later to see what's goin' on!

Just to clarify on my pullups - I do 10-12 assisted!!! Yup that is right, I have one foot on the ladder thing and one foot dangling...

I break a sweat and a good grunt like no other trying to do these though....

BTW - not really following the eating plan - I could easily do the third phase, but that is what my diet looks like already....(not perfectly looks like mind you ;)

I do need to look at adding more protein - will check out some different protein stuff at the nutrition store this weekend......

I tried following the eating plan .. but I just can not manage to cut out all the good "white" foods .. potatoes, rice, white bread . etc .. I CRAVE those things .. and "boinking" is putting it mildly if I don't get them .. and fruit .. I have to have more fruit .. I have LOW blood sugar so instead of "boinking" I just about pass out without those foods . . so as much as I wanted to try the plan I just can not do it ..

I have upped my protien .. don't do the shakes b/c the protein powder is nasty .. something in it just makes me gag. Same thing w/the protein bars .. sports bars .. etc .. YUCK .. I have the P90X recovery drink from the program if anyone wants it (it is actually more bearable than the others I have tried) .. I can NOT take it .. and it is a LOT of calories .. heck for 280 calories I could have had a turkey sandwich .. or baked potato and a small amount of meat .. or THREE yogurts .. }(

My eating is fairly clean normally .. with the occasional Southern home cooked meal .. that I simply refuse to give up! LOL don't eat sweets .. and proably eat a ratio of somewhere 40% protien .. so I think I will have to stick w/trying to fit in some lean protein .. and less of my homecooked gut/butt sticking foods .. LOL!:7

Did up my weights on arms and shoulders .. I am doing 12# on everything now! :7 .. I like the flippy/twisty tricep thing .. and it works the crap out of the tris .. the trick is to keep your elbows into your body tight and don't let them move at all .. they should not move up or down they should be stationary! ..

after upping the weight .. hope I can do the downward dogs in yoga I have coming tonight .. :7

..and to all of you doing the pull ups .. I AM IN AWE!!! WOW .. keep on keeping on! I thought I despised push ups the most . but OH NO .. it is the PULL ups I truely despise!! LOL

have a great night Ladies!

>I tried following the eating plan .. but I just can not
>manage to cut out all the good "white" foods .. potatoes,
>rice, white bread . etc .. I CRAVE those things .. and
>"boinking" is putting it mildly if I don't get them .. and
>fruit .. I have to have more fruit .. I have LOW blood sugar
>so instead of "boinking" I just about pass out without those
>foods . . so as much as I wanted to try the plan I just can
>not do it ..

tee hee.... poochy said boinking! (sorry... how immature of me... but i seriously giggled when i read that!)

ahem... getting serious again... i eat ride and bread... but the brown stuff! (same with pasta) i did cut out pototes for a long time.. but have added them in for an occasional treat!

heck
>for 280 calories I could have had a turkey sandwich .. or
>baked potato and a small amount of meat .. or THREE yogurts ..
>}(

are you serious!??????? the p90x stuff has 280 calories! YIKES! and YIKES again! my eas has 120 and i whine about that!!!!!!!

-------------

I am not following the X diet either. Can't be bothered. LOL I try to eat pretty clean MOST OF THE TIME anyway! :p My diet is not perfect and it never will be and I am OKAY with that. :) I make my own protein shakes after work outs. I normally use ff milk, 1 scoop of protein powder, 1/2 to 1 whole banana and some natural p/b. I'm sure there are LOTS of cals in it but that's one of my meals pretty much so I don't mind. Besides, it's so darned yummy that it's worth it anyway!:9 I buy the protein bars when they are like a buck a pop to have for a quick snack. I like to bring something like that or a granola bar to work with me as I undoubtedly get hungry while I am there. I have also grown fond of the south beach bars!:9 :9 :9 I eat LOTS of cereal. I keep try to keep it reasonably healthy-low fat, low sugar and try for a bit higher protein where I can. I love kashi cereals but do not buy them usually unless they are on sale because I would go broke w/the amount of cereal I will eat! I usually have it for breakfast and then often again as an after dinner snack instead of the evil stuff like icecream, cookies, donuts, chip, etc.!

I have mostly just really cleaned up the diet so it's fairly close to what they recommend. I just got the Recovery Drink, which I am looking forward to trying. I was using some EAS stuff, too, DB, and then noticed it had like 17 grams of sugar per serving. Sheesh. No wonder it tasted so good, lol.

I don't mind the extra cals as long as they're good cals. I'm really not expecting to drop pounds, just for the composition of my body to change, which I can already feel - isn't that weird? But there is definitely a loss of fat in my hip area, so I'm happy. :)

Okay, Classic/Phase 1/Week 3/Day 3 complete. Wow, the time is moving on. I didn't bring it as much as I did the last few nights but I did up my weights on some exercises.

I'm not following the diet either. I eat pretty well, only brown stuff, lean protein, and the two dark chocolate kisses I eat every night. Oh well, I NEED SOMETHING SWEET AFTER DINNER!!!! My problem is my portions for dinner. I have no control. None. Nada. Zippo. I promise I'll be good then I overeat. I really should look at that diet again and start measuring and stick to it! I could only imagine the changes then................

Have a good night!!!

Nancy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.