P90X January Starters, Thursday 01/04

banslug

Cathlete
Good morning fellow P90Xer’s! Happy Thursday!

WHO IS SORE TODAY? Let’s take a poll! I've got it in the bis, tris and shoulders. That's a good thing! lol

This morning was Yoga X. WOW. I haven't EVER done yoga, and I didn't expect the workout that I got. I'm surprised I had the patience to do it, since I love cardio and jumping around and stuff. Worked up a great sweat during the first half! wow.

Angie-great tip about lowering the height for assisted pull ups! I have tons of risers, so I can pretty much stand on my high step and not have to lift myself at all! LOL Thanks, also for the input on the leg workout. I LOVE working legs and thought that I’d have to add in. Seems like everybody is saying pretty much the same thing….not to change the rotation too much, as IT WORKS!

For those of you using the bands….what do you attach it to? Just curious?

Nancy-I’m with you, I think, after reading a lot of comments about not changing the rotation. I’m going to do my best to follow it as-is, and just occasionally add in a few ‘smaller’ things….like swimming laps, my Friday morning Pilates class, etc. Nothing major though. I’m also a bit leary about drinking all those calories, which is why I picked up EAS’s brand drink, called AdvantEdge. It’s got pretty much the same numbers, but a few less calories. I also picked up some Harvest Bars in that same flavor!

Laura (poochy)-checked out your picture trail and Mexico looks awesome! Have you really been married 20 years???? DO NOT feel like a whimp because you’re sore! I’m sore too and I LOVE IT! LOL

Desertbriez-bullied or not….you’re in this with us! LOL. You mentioned DOMS from AbRipper X….yeah…as the day went on yesterday, it got worse and worse.

Today.....heading into my son's Kindergarten class. Then I'm taking a swim lesson at the YMCA to learn the mechanics of the strokes. I'm excited about this! BBL to say hi to everybody!

Gayle

Hi Gayle and others:

Classic/Phase 2/week 5/day 5

Just popping in here to answer your question on the bands.. I bought them ( off Ebay), they have the "over the door" ones that have a small piece where the bands meet that hooks over the top of a door, then when you close the door, they are connected. It is simpler than it sounds. I have done all the pull up variations, on knees, sitting etc and they are really sturdy. I bought the blue ones.

Deb

Good morning everyone ..

yes .. I am still sore!!x( .. LOL .. my chest is the main thing .. hate those dang push ups!! now since I did the core synergy class my ENTIRE body is hurting .. .. I never get sore in my legs and I AM!! Big time .. and my abs .. OUCH!!!

Now I know why body builders walk w/their arms out .. LOL .. they are in PAIN!!!

Today is arms and shoulders .. :eek: ... another weak spot of mine is my biceps and triceps .. but the shoulders are strong ... I know I will be hurting again tomorrow .. think I am going to do LESS than what I think I can this first time .. b/c in the chest and back .. I "brought it" and now I can't move! LOL .. I was able to do 15 - 20 push ups each time until the second round .. had to drop to my knees and could only tweak out 10 then! So going to play it safe on the arms today ..

Gayle .. Yes . . I have been married 20 years! We celebrated our 20th in July 2006 .. so we are working on 21! Hubby only likes adrenaline vacations .. but for our 20th .. he took me to Los Cabos and it was THE best vacation .. we both did nothing but relax and have fun .. EXCELLENT vacation! (planning on going again this year)

I am very lucky to be married to the greatest guy .. (knock on wood real quick) .. not that we don't have our "trying times" . . but we love one another more now than we did when we first said I do .. and we are lucky .. we both enjoy the same things (hunting, fishing - deep sea and fresh water, boating, the ocean, scuba diving, and of course exercise) .. we are best friends and lovers .. got the best of both worlds! I am lucky (heck he is too .. LOL):7

OK .. good luck with the workouts .. I will check back after lunch to report on if I survived the arms and shoulders workout! :D

Hi Everybody -

I AM SORE TODAY, but still from chest and back from Tuesday. I thought my legs were going to kill me this morning from the PlyoX that I did last evening but nothing yet. We'll see...it's still early. I'm wondering how Shoulders and Arms are going to go today as my shoulders are still hurting me from all of those pullups (or are they called pulldowns when you use a band, lol.)

Gayle - believe it or not I'm using my dogs leash to hold my bands over a door. I made a knot on the leash next to the loop of the leash itself and then swing it over the door with the loop facing me. The knot holds it in place and prevents it from sliding over the door as you pull on the band. I then slide the bands through the loop. My eventual plan is to ask my DH to put up an eye-ring on a wall (attached to a stud, of course) and that should work nicely too. It would be better than a simple hook which might allow the band to swing into your face or have the hook rip the band. I bought the bands from Beachbody (the medium tension set) and I love them as they're a very good quality.

I'm really sticking to this rotation, as is, mainly because I don't think I have the stamina for one more iota of anything. I give credit to anyone who can actually do more. But, I would like to try it strictly as written and see. I did ok on my eating yesterday until the 10 peanut m&m's I ate last night right before bed. It's the nighttime that gets me everytime. I want to lose 7 - 10 lbs. and lean out.

Thanks for the tip on Advantedge. I'll check it out the next time I'm shopping for a drink. I have about two week's worth of Boost to get through first and I don't want to throw it out. I've just been drinking half of it.

Okay, have a great day today everyone. I'll check in after my workout tonight which will be later than normal as I have to get my hair cut and dyed. Priorities, ya know?

Nancy

Hi Everyone,

I did Shoulders and arms today. This is my second time doing this workout and so far, I think it is my favorite.

My Door Gym arrived yesterday and my son put it together and installed it for me. I cannot even do a single unassisted pullup:( I definitely have work to do!

I still plan on adding in cardio. If I was at my goal weight, I would probably follow the rotation as is.

Keep up the good work everyone.

Diana

Laura-You almost made me cry! LOL. Seriously, you are very lucky. I asked about the 20 because you certainly do not look old enough to have been married for 20 years (I mean that in a good way, btw, lol). ENJOY IT each and every day!

Nancy-the nighttime gets me too. I tuck my boys in bed at 8pm and then I like to sit and catch a movie, or a TV show or read a book, but if my hands are idle, LOOK OUT, FRIDGE! LOL. But.....the last few nights, I've been locking up and going upstairs when the boys do and I either get on my PC or watch a movie on our portable DVD player (while relaxing in my comfy warm cozy bed, lol). Barricade myself, basically, is what I do! LOL

OK...back enjoying my lunch, after my swim lesson. LOVED IT LOVED IT LOVED IT! I learned that I knew NOTHING about the mechanics of swimming properly! LOL. Seriously, NOTHING! My lesson was 30 minutes, then I stayed in the water and did laps for another HOUR after that. LOVED IT! I felt all that kicking in my hips (which is where you're SUPPOSED to kick from). I am meeting with her next Thursday again. I promised (and am planning) on getting in the pool a few times between now and then. Tomorrow, for starters.

It doesn't take much to get me addicted to anything athletic or fitness-related, so I shouldn't be surprised that now I want to go buy myself a good swim suit for the purpose. LOL

BBL

Gayle

<<<Seriously, you are very lucky. I asked about the 20 because you certainly do not look old enough to have been married for 20 years (I mean that in a good way, btw, lol). >>>

Oh Gayle .. BLESS YOU!!!:*

We got married when I was twenty .. so I had my twentieth anniversary and the dreaded turning 40 birthday both in the same year! :eek:

I was looking forward to the anniversary .. just not the birthday celebration .. warned my friends not to be mean .. all to no avail! Think the fact that I did NOT want them to even acknowlege it made them try even harder to let the entire CITY know that I turned 40 last year! LOL ..

but hey .. now that is over with .. it is just a number! AND THANK YOU for the wonderful compliment! :7

OH .. BTW .. did the P90X arm and shoulders at lunch .. not NEAR as bad as the chest and back one .. although I am sure I will be complaining about one more body party hurting tomorrow! But man did it feel good .. loved that DVD .. now on to looking forward to the PLYO workout tomorrow and then the YOGA workout Sat. .. (I am a huge Byron Baptiste fan .. so I am hoping I won't be dissapointed in the yoga X)...

aaahhh .. wonderful self induced pain .. gotta love it!}(

Good Afternoon - yes I am in pain! My chest is very sore.....

I did plyox last night - I reviewed it on the open discussion forum. not my favorite. I guess I expected my heartrate to really shoot up there, but it didn't.......right when I got it going and started sweating - it was over and the next section brough it down....my hunch is that since this program as a whole is more strength based, they designed the cardio workouts to not have your heartrate too high?? i have heard that too much cardio in a rotation can also break down the lean muscle you are building, so maybe that is the idea behind it....

Anyways - looking forward to the shoulders and arms one tonight :) From what everyone says - its a good one :)

fortunately.... not too bad today.... just normalish (i know... that's not a word!) morning pains that i noticed! if i lift my arms and touch my.... lats is it? they are tender.... i expected my tris to be sore and they aren't so i think i need to up my weights next week!

hubby is sore (i'm not allowed to tell anyone about his whinning! lol!) but he isn't a regular worker-outer.... so i totally expected him to be sorer longer (geez i'm making up a LOT of words!)

oh and the mental pain of having to do yogaX! lol! but i made it! "funny" thing is i do so dread it... but once i'm doing it... or rather once i get to "last vinyasa"... it's all ok! OH... and i held crane for 7 counts! toes off the ground! WOO HOO! (only 53 seconds to go!) and of course... once it's over with i'm all relaxed and ready for a nap! (i even did the ohm thing since i was alone!)

i actually did it alone.... hubby had to go into work early this morning... so rather than getting started at 3:00 a.m.... i did it this morning and he'll do it after he gets home from work!

i can't remember if i mentioned in the other post... we're following the classis as it's "written"... not modifying EXCEPT this week to get us on a saturday rest day... so no rest day this week... starting week 2 on sunday! i did get stronger and see more definition as the time went on... so i know for me it did work (i didn't change my eating... i already eat a GOOD carb, low fat diet)

last time we did this we got the EAS advantedge... the chocolate... YUMMY! but i stopped using it cus i didn't want the extra calories.... i could try to cut out something somewhere else... but this time of year i can't even ride a few extra miles/calories after work... cuz i can't ride after work! (i'm off this week) and if i cut food out... i'll get hungry... and if i get hungry... i get grouchy.... *sigh*.... we'll see.... we're going to sam's tomorrow and hubby may want to pick up some of the protein drink mix!

shoulders and arms is my favorite workout of the whole series!

i need to make me some stamps for my calendar! i'm going to look at staples/office depot tomorrow to see if they sell any presized/cut ones that i can make! otherwise i'll have to use larger labels and cut them... and hope i can cut nice and neatly!

ok... i think that's wordy enough! talk to you gals tomorrow!

-------------
cute work out clothes are good for AT LEAST an additional 10-15 calories burned!

Hi everyone. Glad to have Yoga X in the bag. I really dread that one for some reason? Maybe because time dosen't fly like it does with Cathe. Tony isn't his normal chipper, jokey self in it either.

I still can't do crane so good for you desertbriez. I just fast forward it to the next one. I am not following the diet either like I said yesterday but will in a few weeks time I think.

Reba, I can't believe you didn't get your heart rate up in plyo. I find that one really hard and own all the imaxs too and find it along those lines. Sometimes workouts are easier I find depending on what time of the month it is in my cycle. People on the other X thread say it does get tougher each time for some reason?

Poochy, can't wait to see what you think of Yoga X after doing other yoga tapes (I hadn't done yoga until this). I got married when I was 20 too. Just had our 13th wedding anniversary last July. It is rough at times but with the boys getting older things are getting easier (9 and 12).

Diana, even after finishing the classic X last year I could only do 2 pullups unassisted. It is tough! Have you seen Traci Morrow in her winning video just pumping them out? Unbelievable. :eek:

Gayle count me in as a night time snacker too. I find that the toughest part of the day. I've been closing the kitchen the last 4 nights and going to bed 2 hours earlier. Seems to be working so far. In addition, I've been getting up 1.5 to 2 hours earlier to get in my workout instead of waiting until after work. I really like having it over with.

Tommorrow is legs and back and ab ripper. Really, really like that one. Time goes by quickly.

Talk to you soon,
Laura

Hi all

Yup, did YogaX tonight and x( . Everyone keeps saying that is grows on you - I'm still waiting. I do feel a whole lot better when it's over just because it's OVER! I'd love to yank it from the program, but I think it really does help build muscle. Over an hour an a half long - Doh:7!! I do those elusive cranes but also use my noggin to stabilze - you'd think it would be easy that way, but my arms still shake!:-(

Starting phase 2 tomorrow. Should be interesting.

I'm not following the diet as written either, but I am trying to behave. Never been much of a dieter. However, I have been adding at least one protein drink or bar per day. I really think it helps control my appetite. If nothing else, my nails and hair love it. Also, I allow myself one string cheese in the evening after dinner - I know I shouldn't but I have that late night snack urge too.....

Happy Xing all }(

Angie

i've actually never bought into the "no snacks" thing... for me it's all about calories in/calories burned... i specifically plan an evening snack cuz otherwise i'd be STARVING! (i eat about every 3 hours!) but i do make it something healthy (but a little more substantial than cheese! but i'm REALLY grouchy if i'm hungry... just ask my hubby!)

-------------
cute work out clothes are good for AT LEAST an additional 10-15 calories burned!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.