P90X January Starters, TGIF!!!

Fit_mommy

Cathlete
CLASSIC ROTATION/PHASE 1/WEEK 2/DAY 5

Good Morning Ladies! TGIF!:)

Well I did StretchMax 2 and the rest of YogaX last night. Gotta love those 7 yoga belly exercises!}(

It's Legs&Back/ARX today. So far my legs feel good. No DOMS from spin. Once I start doing L&B though I'll know for sure how spin affected me.:eek:

I have to leave for work in 45 mins and still have to get myself and my little one ready to go!YIKES! I guess that's what I get for sleeping in, ey? :p

I'll be back later on to see what everyone is up to!

Hi, Wendy!

I just found out my kids have a 2 hour delay. AFTER I woke them up! LOL. We get a LIGHT dusting of snow and we get a 2 hour delay! LOL. What's up with that?

Wendy-any idea what Half Marathon you're setting your sights on???

I missed you guys yesterday. Busy, that's all. I did Low Max yesterday in place of Plyo X, then an hour swim at the Y. I learned the breast stroke and once I got the hang of it, I was feeling it GOOD! My inner thighs are really sore from that new kick!

This morning, up early, and I did Arms & Shoulders. I'm really zoning in on the perfect HEAVY weight for these workouts and LOVING IT! 20's for bicep work? 15 for over-head shoulder work? 12+ for tricep> Never thought I'd do it. But I am! WE ARE!!!!!!

After I get the boys on the bus at 10, I'm hitting the pool for an hour swim again. Now that I've got 3 solid strokes, I am going to start playing with them. 18 laps is a half mile, so I can do 6 sets of 3 or whatever. FUN FUN FUN!

Have an awesome day. I'm really looking forward to Yoga X this weekend. Is it tomorrow? I can't remember, but I'm looking forward to it. I also need to start running more to get ready for my coming races. OH......how to fit it all in? LOL

BBL

Gayle

Good mornin all - again:)

Did Yoga yesterday - I am starting to enjoy it more -seems like it is getting easier but I still don't do those optional pushups.

Don't have time for personals today and I wish I did because what a busy check in yesterday! Hopefully I can do some catching up this weekend.

I just wanted to say that I have been using the sparkpeople web site to track my calories and they suggested an 1800 calorie diet for me to meet my weight loss goals. I never closely monitored my eating before, even though I know I should. I was just so into the whole denial thing - I really didn't look at the labels for fear of what might be in the food. I ate healthy stuff but I also added my treats without thinking much about it. Sounds so stupid and I know better, but it is pretty much what I did. I must have been taking in a ton of calories because 1800 actually seemed a bit restrictive.:D So, no, I don't follow the X diet but do the 1800 balanced diet instead. I also asked about protein intake from a gal who said she is a registered dietician and here's what she had to say:

"Many people over do it with protein when they want to build muscle, especially women. Protein contains nitrogen and that is toxic to the body. Our kidneys accomplish the task of excreting nitrogen from our body through urine. Too much protein/nitrogen can be very harmful to the kidneys and the rest of your body. Most Americans eat WAY too much protein per day.

If you are on an 1800 calorie diet you want 15% of your calories to come from protein. This would be 270 calories from protein a day. Since there are 4 calories in each gram of protein that would come to 67.5 grams of protein a day. This adds up fast if you eat dairy and meat/meat alternative products. I haven't seen your meal plan, but my guess would be that you don't need the protein supplements Your body doesn't need a lot of protein to make muscle cells bigger. Unless you get into being an elite athlete, 15% of your calories will do the trick."

Something to think about. I'm pretty sure this answer is a solid one - it does sound familiar - been awhile since my nutrition class. What do you all think?

Off to do ummmmm - I think chest and back - lol - can't remember, but I know I gotta do it this AM. I have to take my MIL to a Dr. appt. this afternoon since step FIL just found out he has lung cancer. What a mess this is - but not surprising at least to us - he smoked like a chimney for years and so here we are. It is so frustrating - I want to be there for them to lean on but it's so hard not to get angry at the same time. I'm really sad and mad at the same time}( . Miserable........

Anyways - you girls have a wonderful day and hope you have a fun weekend on tap.

Angie

Hey Everybody -

I feel good today. Like I said I didn't "bring" Arms and Shoulders (and ARX, for that matter) like I should have. I guess I was tired.

Wendy - it's funny that you mention that you would feel "guilty" if you didn't finish YogaX. I feel that way too. I don't know what it is about this program that makes me feel like I HAVE TO DO EVERY WORKOUT. I don't know if it's this check-in or Tony's hold on me that is making me more accountable, but it's a good thing.

Angie - I feel bad about what you're going through with your Step FIL. I'm sure it's a nightmare. Plus the fact that you know it could have been prevented. All I can say, as a long-time smoker myself, is that nicotine is such an addicting drug and he probably started before all the hype associated with smoking that you hear about today. One of the reasons I was finally able to give it up a few years ago was the fact that I knew I would have terrible guilt if I became sick as a result of smoking. I don't think I could have looked my children in the face. BUT, it was the toughest thing I ever did. I was a true addict. I just hope my smoking doesn't come back to haunt me. I know I must have done at least some damage. (I also can't believe I smelled like that, who knew?)

Oh, and I'm reading BFFM right now. He says that for a 1500 calorie weight loss diet I should be eating approximately 112 gms. of protein a day. Not that I'm following that one yet either, but there's so much conflicting information out there. ???? What's a girl to do?

Well, today is Yoga X for me. Last week I substituted because the X is just too hard/long for me. I'm going to try to do it today though. We'll see how I feel when I get home from work.

Have a great day!!!!!!

Nancy

Good Morning -I don't have much time to chat either - at work posting of course ;)

Last night was KenpoX - once again I just cannot get my heart rate up there like I do with Cathe's kickbox - wonder if I should sub out next week for Kick Max or KPC?? Any thoughts on that one? I usually SWEAT a ton doing cardio and barely get a sweat mark on my tank??

Nancy - if you don't like that Yoga X, I would get a different yoga dvd to sub in its place. 90 mins is extremely long - i had to break mine up as well. Although the full ashtanga practice is (don't quote me) two hours in length......but there are alot of really good yoga dvds on the market.

Today is my REST DAY :))))) I repositioned my workouts so my rest day came on Fridays. By Friday I am burned out from work, tired, and just ready to for date night with my husband without worrying about getting a workout in for the day....

Well better go - everyone have a great Friday .. .

will try to be back later to chat

Yoga X today, I did the first half. I will do the second half later. It's a killer after Shoulders & Arms yesterday, ouchie.

Sorry so short, on the run.

Have a great day, all!

Marie

Hi Reba -

Yes, I substituted YogaX with Hard Body Yoga by Tari Rose (?) last week but I don't really love this workout either. Could it be I just don't like Yoga? lol

If you have any suggestions for another yoga, I'd love to hear them. TIA!

Nancy

Nancy,

People keep recommending Eoin Finn's "Yoga for Happiness" to me. I don't like yoga, either, but this one is supposed to be pretty good.

Marie

phase one weight part COMPLETE!! woo hoo!

of course i don't know why i'm cheering.... that means 2 days of yogaX next week.... *sigh*

but i'm looking forward to the couple of different workouts... althouh it will "kill" me to just do stretchX as a workout! i'll definitly have to do a spinerval after work that night!

i hear ya about the kenpo not getting our heartrate up.... i laugh when tony asks about being in the zone... what zone? my sleeping zone? and later he says if you are bonking (or something like that)... i just laugh at him.... he doesn't realize we are all cathe-ites and he cardio is a joke to us! but still i do it... cuz i'm determined to do the workout part as they've stated in their rotation!

tonight i'm gonna be BAD with me eating! insteading of heading "down the hill" to do our shopping one of the days this weekend... we're gonna get it out of the way tonight... i've narrowed it down to one of 3 really BAD for me places to eat! lol! (and desert! oh i'm BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD!) but that leaves me all weekend to be good, when normally i'm bad! i'm rambling....

hope everyone has a wonderful TGIF!!! YIPPEE!!!!!
-------------
cute work out clothes are good for AT LEAST an additional 10-15 calories burned!

Thought I would give everyone some alternate yoga dvds to check out if you just cannot stand the yoga x..

I have TONS and love yoga...

Rodney Yee has a great Power Yoga (about 68 mins) and it kind of has the two part segment thing too. the first part is the vinyasa flow series, and the second the stretching and balance postures...

Amazon.com sells a terrific Total Body yoga series, called Earth, Wind, Air, Fire ( that is from memory, don't quote me) and they are really good for beginner/intermediate

Bryan Kest is the main man I turn to for a thorough - kick booty - lengthen and strengthen my bod workouts! Energize 1, Tone 2, Sweat 3
I cannot rave enought about these - I love them...

Stay away from the Bikram yoga videos unless you have the sauna to do them in - you are supposed to do Bikram in a heated room so it doesn't work well at home, but if you ever get a chance to take a few classes - it feels great! You sweat like a pig and its very detoxing (imo)

Brian Baptiste - he has some good ones ( the 1, 2, 3rd) I like the one in the green box (number two) cannot remember the name to his series though...

Overall though I think Rodney Yee's Power Yoga is the the most comparible to what Yoga X does.....I think Rodney Yee flows really well in his workouts....

I plan on sticking with the Yoga X for another month at least, but then when we do recovery week, I might have to do Rodney or Bryan Kest subbed for one of them....

I am amazed at how strong you really have to be in order to do yoga postures. I think that its good to be able to handle your own body weight in awkward positions....:p

i'm thinking i want to get bryan kest for after we're done with p90x.... i'm not a substituter! lol! i like the style (ashtanga, i guess it's called) and that's what bryan kest is... right? so i should like his?

(i'm one of the few that like the 2 MTV yoga dvd's! eek!)

i agree... you can't hold them for as long as tony has us do (and i guess that's not actually as long as some versions!) i'm usually counting down in my head or begging in my head for him to let us out!!!!!!!!!!!! but ya.... it takes strengh and flexibility to do yoga and i never realized it before actually trying it!! it gets really hard for me to do those last few push ups!

-------------
cute work out clothes are good for AT LEAST an additional 10-15 calories burned!

Hey Ladies ..

late checking in today .. TGIF! and it has been "one of those days here" ...

today is rest day for me ... my arms a sore from yesterdays "upping" of the weights .. so it is a good day to REST ..

This weekend is some sort of Cathe cardio and YogaX Sunday ..

Angie:>>>I don't know if it's this check-in or Tony's hold on me that is making me more accountable, but it's a good thing.>>>
I have NEVER been like that and I am like that now .. it is like I feel guilty if I do not complete the entire rotation!!!!

Reba: <<Today is my REST DAY )))) I repositioned my workouts so my rest day came on Fridays. By Friday I am burned out from work, tired, and just ready to for date night with my husband without worrying about getting a workout in for the day....>>>
again DITTO .. gotta have that rest on Friday's .. just too hectic .. and it feels like a huge reward to have a days rest!!!

Desertbriez: <<tonight i'm gonna be BAD with me eating! >>
Oh girl I hear ya .. tonight is not only reward rest night .. but reward steak and baked potato w/sauteed mushrooms ... I'll get some calorie expenditure though w/hubby ... }( }( }( (sometimes being bad is soooo good)

Nancy: <<Last week I substituted because the X is just too hard/long for me. I'm going to try to do it today though. We'll see how I feel when I get home from work>>
. . YOU CAN DO IT .. I KNOW you can!!:7

GAYLE<<<20's for bicep work? 15 for over-head shoulder work? 12+ for tricep> Never thought I'd do it. But I am! >>>>
WHEW .. YOU GO GIRL!! I am impressed!

Ok .. to all that follow .. have a great night .. a great weekend .. and even better workouts!!!

:7

Nancy: <<Last week I substituted because the X is just too hard/long for me. I'm going to try to do it today though. We'll see how I feel when I get home from work>>
. . YOU CAN DO IT .. I KNOW you can!!:7

Nope, Laura. I can't do it. Way too hard. Give me weights any day of the year. Thanks for having faith in me though.

Quit after 20 minutes. I'll have to read about possible substitutions when I'm not so cranky about it.

Yoga X s*cks.

Nancy

Can't wait until Back and Legs tomorrow. More up my alley!

Hi you all,

I'm lurking and coming over from the X'ers checkin. I can't help but comment on kenpo x because we had a discussion about that a while ago with some people complaining that they weren't getting a good cardio workout. I think everyone has pretty much changed their minds after we came up with these tips. Think about it as a core and upper body workout and not traditional cardio, like a step tape, then focus on really contracting your core muscles and executing every punch the best you possibly can. If you do that, then you really get another day of cross training the core. Then get as low as you can in the horse stance and hold it. Some of us have gotten weighted gloves and that intensifies it more. I break a good sweat now and I think it does an excellent job to help cut the upper body muscles plus tone the lower.

JMO, but thought you all might be interested in what helped us to get through the workout and find it beneficial.

Tracy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.