P90X JANUARY Starters...Saturday

banslug

Cathlete
Desertbriez-Thanks for the input about the stickers. I'll be heading out today and will try to pick some up as well. FUNNY, how little stickers can make an adult SO happy! LOL

Classic/Week 1/Phase 1/Day 6

I'm sore in many places. Across my upper back, my outer upper back, my tush, and especially my inner thighs. Yesterday was a very active day for me between Legs & Back, swimming and Pilates, so I'm not sure which activity is responsible for which DOMS! LOL

This morning was Kenpo X. I have to say. I loved it. No high impact jumping like the blasts in Kick Max. No hopping around like Cardio Kicks (which is, btw, my FAVORITE kickbox workout of Cathe's). Yet Kenpo was hi intensity with all that punching, kicking, horse stances. And that stretch in the beginning, 10 minutes? OH MY! My body needed that. Another winner in my book for Tony!

Then I plugged in Stretch Max #1 because I really needed more stretches after Kenpo. Felt GREAT!

We're headed to the Y this morning. Both my boys have a swim lesson/practice. I'll be in the pool as well AGAIN doing laps and practicing NOT drinking half the pool water! LOL

Have an AWESOME day!

Gayle

lol! oh no kidding about the stickers... i mean... seriously... when hubby told me he wanted to start p90x on jan 1st... i whinned and said "but i have a new calendar and STICKERS!" i swear! i said it! lol! the stickers i bought are 05428. they are in a small package (not the 8.5 X11 size packages)... the pages are about 4"X6"

http://www.avery.com/us/Main?action=product.Details&catalogcode=WEB01&productcode=5428 (oh... and i didn't pay 8.36 for them at office depot... only (only?) 5 something!)

i just got through making my stickers for the first 3 workouts... not too shabby... i had to resize the picture (i used the little pic off their site that is the dvd then a pic of the tv and a shot from that workout... almost fills up the sticker (i had to rotate it 90 degrees).... made 5 chest & back, 10 plyo's, and 5 shoulders & arms... now i need to go out and stick the ones i've done on the calendar! yay! and make the rest! heck... once i finish the pages of cathe stickers i bought... i'm gonna make my own of her's too! especially since there are so many that i don't use so much and not enough of ones i do... but i digress!

this has been an eventful day! first i slept way late for me! my quads are still killing me! so we get dressed and ready to do kenpoX... and it won't play! ugh! ok... maybe it's the dvd player in the garage (our workout area).. bring it in the house... nope... won't play.... clean it off... won't play... ugh! fortunately when i first got the set i had attempted to make copies for backups... but they won't play in the garage for some reason... ok... try the house... it's gonna work! yay! get about 1/2 way through the workout and it resets itself back to the beginning... ugh! ffw it... manage to get through.... but then we get breaking up and not so great for the rest of the workout! UGH! ok.... no problem... i'll just be brave and contact beachbody and order a replacement.... i do the live chat and they tell me i can only buy a vhs... i don't even have a vhs player in my workout area! surely i can buy a dvd to replace the one i already have that won't work.... they tell me to call... fortunately i don't have to wait long... but get this... do you know how much they want to charge for ONE dvd???????????? $29.95! i mean i expected 19.95... but $30 bucks when you can get the whole set for $100 (ok... $119 so she tells me).... so ya.... i ordered the whole set and i'll just ebay the others away! ugh!

as for the workout.... OWIE! i've never had a hard time or painful time in any kickboxing... but cuz my poor quads are so sore... it was painful! (and i still need to get out on my bike but it's so cold & windy and my legs hurt... so i'm procrastinating! egads... i'm such a whinner!!!)

i think you have a good idea there about stretching! i may do a cathe or maybe even stretchX (hmmmm is there room for 2 stickers on my calendar! lol! i think i need to make some stickers of my bikes, too for days i ride but don't workout! lol!)

tomorrow is no rest day for us cuz we're getting to our sunday start (oh no..... i'll be off a day on checkin!)

have a great day!

-------------
cute work out clothes are good for AT LEAST an additional 10-15 calories burned!

Hey Everybody -

A busy day, sorry for the late check-in. Okay, last night was Yoga X and boy is that tough!!!! I only did about half of it - what a slacker - and the half I did was probably not very good form. Oh well...I'll "bring it" better next time.

Today I did Legs & Back and I loved it. What a great workout! It didn't seem as hard as some of Cathe's lower body workouts but everyone claims that it works so I'll stick with it.

I didn't do ARX yet because I haven't decided what I'll do. My hip flexors are still killing me from the first time I did it. So I have some questions -

Did I do it wrong and that's why they're killing me?
Is it because I haven't worked the hip flexors before and that's why they're killing me and it's to be expected?
Why aren't my abs hurting this way?
Once your hip flexors are strong enough, does your core take over more?

I know these questions probably aren't easy to answer (they probably don't make much sense either, lol).

Have a great night everyone!!!

Nancy

ETA - 72 degrees here in NYC today....what a day!!!! I was in a store where they put the air conditioning on today. I'll take a winter like this one every year.

Hi Nancy -
I'm a daily lurker from the P90X thread... In Week 2 of Final Phase.... My experience was the same as yours w/ pains & ARX...

NO You are not doing it Wrong.... Hip Flexors will be the first place you feel it rather than in abs! Took 3 weeks for me to get those strong enough then the core kicked in.
Some ideas for you....
1. You can keep hitting pause and take each exercise at your own pace to make sure your form is correct (even if modifying)
2. You can split ARX from other workout of the day (or do it 1st) so your entire body is fresh.
3. You can do fewer reps with perfect form and keep a log for yourself so you can improve each time.
4. You can do ARM 2x a week and do a different (Cathe) 20 minute ab workout the day in between so you get different moves to continue to help strengthen.

Just some ideas of what worked for me. FINALLY last week it all popped and my core region is much much stronger.

Hi Everyone,

My replacement DVD's came in the mail yesterday so I did a cardio this morning. I did the Cardio Fusion 80 minute premix. I've done this premix once before and really like it. I still need to do Legs & back tonight. I'm finding it hard not to sub Cathe for the leg workouts.

Desertbriez-I love the sticker idea. After installing the Door Gym I'm thinking of doing chest & back at the rec ctr where they have an assisted dip/pullup machine. I thought one for the home would be very expensive. I liked the one you bought, it should work great.

Keep up the good work. Remember, we are in this together.

Diana

Hi Traci

I'm a lurker on your thread too, lol. I get so much information from you everyday and I thank you.

I'm going to follow your advice and keep plugging away. I'm almost limping today (due to left flexor) and it's been three days. I don't think I've ever hit that area before (I guess).

I always do ABS first, even when I was strictly doing Cathe. I find I'm exhausted after a good weight-training workout to bring my all to an Abs routine.

Thanks for your help!!! I'll keep on lurking!!

Nancy

nancy.... i feel ab ripper x in my hip flexors, too! at least the first few exercises.... i groan and moan and gripe about that! lol! but i did feel it in my lower abs after the first day.... now i don't (but that could be cuz my quad pain has overtaken all else? you know: "oh... your X hurts... well let me punch you here so you'll stop thinking about X!")

and you should hear me scream at tony when he says we're going to do 40 mason twists! LIAR! lol!

i would recommend do what you can... perhap modify... ??

diana.... my calendar now looks SO cute with 6 little P90X stickers on it! it will be fun to see the whole month filled up! lol! oh how the little things amuse me and make me happy! we were surprised that the assisted tower wasn't that expensive... relatively speaking... i mean the pull up bar from beachbody is almost $50... big 5 had a tower with no assist for $99.... and even sports authority had another version (almost identical to the $99 one) for $179.... which is what we paid for the assisted one! hubby got it all put together and is quite pleased with how sturdy it is! i'll let you know how it works tomorrow (we're going to share it rather than him doing the door thingy and me the tower for tomorrow's workout... if it add's too much time he'll have to use the door and i'll use the assist! we'll see!)

(i love this check in! lol!)

-------------
cute work out clothes are good for AT LEAST an additional 10-15 calories burned!

Desertbriez-I can't wait to hear how the assisted tower works for you. I am so disappointed that I can't do a pullup and I just don't feel safe when using a chair. It's more that I am struggling so much it feels like I'm straining my back in a bad way. I have used the assisted machine at my rec ctr and it feels much better. Still a good workout but not like I'm going to hurt myself. I'm actually thinking of returning the Door Gym.

Nancy-you are not alone. Those first few exercises really hit the hip flexors. Take breaks if you need to. I am almost sick of ab ripper x and would like some variety in my ab work.

Keep up the good work.

Diana

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.