Non-Smokers Paradise Check-In Aug. 20th

Pinny150

Cathlete
Just started this thread to let everyone know that this check in is now up and running! If anyone who wants to join has another suggestion for a name, just let me know. There's a local discount store that has the name "smokers' paradise" (it might be a chain?), so I just put "non" in front of it...very orginal eh??? lol....

Well I've been smoke free since last December....and still going.....Cathe is my new addiction.....

My success story is that I haven't killed anybody in the past 10 months. I am very proud of that accomplishment!!!

BBL!

Iris

What a great idea for a checkin! Thank you for starting it.

Ok, here comes my confession of the century:

I just recently became a non-smoker. Yep, that's right. I know lots of people are going to read this and be shocked, disappointed, and disgusted that the chick from Tracey's videos smoked for 6 years, but there ya have it.

I am 28 days smoke free. And feelin' good. This is a big deal for me (as it is for most people, I know). I have a very addictive personality and am naturally the most uptight, stressed out, anxious person alive. Smoking was like my best friend. Cigarettes were always there for me--day or night--when I was scared, sad, mad, happy, etc. I honestly felt (and still feel) like I've lost a good friend or my security blanket. It's an incredibly frightening feeling. Plus, I'm going through a very stressful time right now and it was hard to give up my "crutch". But it had to be done. I was soooo tired of feeling so ashamed all the time. I was the quinissential closet smoker. NO ONE knew I smoked. NO ONE ever saw me smoke. I was so embarrassed to be so into fitness but smoke at the same time. I felt like such a hypocrite. I've broken up with boyfriends before because I couldn't bear the thought of them finding out I smoked--and if I couldn't reveal my whole self or be myself around them, I knew it just wouldn't work. It was easier for me to break up with THEM that it was to break up with the cigarettes. For me, men come and go but cigarettes were forever. They'd never leave me. Could I have BEEN more wrong?!?!?!

I also had a horrible, constant cough and snored so badly in my sleep I could wake the dead. :eek: It was NOT very lady-like. :confused: Or attractive.

I still, to this day will always swear that smoking did not affect my workouts. I swear they didn't. I could work out longer and harder than the best athlete I knew. But the guilt I felt from knowing I was a "smoker" was too much. I honestly didn't quit as much for my health as I did for my head. But whatever it takes, right? I feel so much better knowing that I really AM healthy now. I eat well (sort of....;)), workout, and DON'T SMOKE. How good am I?!?!? :D

So anyway, here I am. I am on week 5 (FIVE!!!) of not smoking and it's getting easier every second. I started with the patch but got sick of it and haven't used any type of stop-smoking aid for 3 weeks now. I love the freedom of not smelling like smoke. Or having to hide my cigarettes. Or always having my car stink. It's a pretty liberating feeling.

That's my story. Sorry to disappoint anyone by being a former smoker. Trust me, I'm not proud of it. But I am proud of what I've accomplished in the past five weeks. I honestly didn't think I could do it.

Allison....wow girl, that's all I have to say. I've pretty much familiarized myself with the regulars on here, and you look phenomenal in your pictures and you give out some great advice ...and the past couple months I've thought to myself "here's a girl who's about my age/size that I should try to get to know, because I want her kind of fitness level!"

Absolutely no one will be disgusted or disappointed in you (if they are, then they don't know anything about addictions)! I know I definitley have more respect and admiration! Congrats on one month smoke free! I felt the same way when I gave it up ( the first AND the second time)

I did the patch both times...the first time I cheated a lot and eventually went back (and stopped working out w/ cathe on fit tv...because I was the same way..felt like a hypocrite to workout and smoke)....but the second time? I was all the way this time, and will continue to be...it is my new addiction..and allison that is one thing you have going for you now to replace that crutch! Your workouts will just get better!! I am in the best shape of my adult life, and it just gets better month by month, I am so excited about that.

I feel better helping and rooting for other reformed smokers...but I cannot say everyday is peachy for me, because it's not. I certainly have my moments now and then....probably always will! However, I will keep my sights set on the goal..and having a check-in like this I know will help in carrying it out.

Iris

Help

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
OMG I still smoke. Was way too embarrassed to tell anyone. Really want to quit. I even smoked outside during the July RT. HELP!!!!!!:(:(:(

Allison, I must say that I was shocked to read that you're an ex-smoker, but I'd never judge you or anyone for it. I would have never guessed you for a smoker though. Congratulations on being smoke free.

Ellie, there's no reason to be embarrassed. I'm positive there are others out there that are smokers but just to embarrassed to say it, for fear of being judged. I know I was. I would have been right out there with you on the RT smoking if I was still a smoker. One thing I've learned is that when you're ready to quit you'll know it.

Iris, I think this is a great check in. Congratulations to you to for being smoke free.

I'd love to check in with everyone.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.