No sweets check-in - week of January 1st

red_mct

Cathlete
As per the other thread, I thought I'd go ahead and start the no-sweets challenge starting today (Jan 1). I did okay for most of the holiday but totally lost it from the 24th until the 28th, at which point some semblance of sanity emerged. Sheesh. I will also say, I felt totally like crap the entire week, so all of that sugar just wreaks havoc with me.

My goal for this challenge is to avoid sweets altogether for 30 days straight. What's yours?

Marie

Yay! the check-in...

Well I'm starting slow. After all the crap (mostly sweets, deserts, etc.) that I ate in the last week of December I'm glad to see this challenge again. I definitely have a sweet tooth and it is my downfall, but I definitely want to eat more foods that actually have nutritional value. So to me no sweets includes all the junk food that makes me want to say "sweet!" after I eat them even if they're not actually sweets. :7 Avoiding altogether to me is setting up for failure from the start, however, I will try to do it, but if my willpower fails me I promise I will be smart about the portions I actually consume.

Now the confessions... I didn't do as bad as I thought today. I went to a family gathering and you know all the junk food you can see on those especially on new years, so I was surrounded by temptation, but I only had half a glass of juice (4oz.) and I had a bite of a chocolate covered marshmallow to satisfy my cravings for sweets. Now that I'm back home I'm going to have salmon, brown rice, a huge salad, and water after I work out in a couple of minutes. I hope you all did great today.

Can anyone join this check-in? Because I really have a sweet tooth!! I make cookies just so I can eat the dough - pathetic, I know. Since I do have a tremendous sweet tooth, I need to be honest - I can't do it hardcore, nothing, nada. It's too much for me. So, I decided to treatment myself after supper (when my urge is the strongest) with 1 or 2 bites of a square of Ghiradelli dark chocolate, just enough to take away that urge. Otherwise, I think I'd seriously go crazy. I'm hoping that this reduces the urge and makes my sweet tooth more manageable long-term.

Today, I've eaten very clean. And I'm starving...

Terri

Hi Ladies!

My goal is to stay away from the sweets and just generally "eat clean". I did great today with the no sweets, but had a handful of potato chips:(

Breakfast and Lunch were great...dinner was okay...and, of course, there was the potato chip fiasco:eek:

Hey everyone. I'm trying to eat healthier and also teach my DD's how to eat. We went grocery shopping together and steered away from all the packaged snacks. We loaded up on fruit and veggies, yogurts, popcorn, tortilla chips. The hard part is when all the good stuff is gone and the only thing left is bad for you food! Dinner tonight was baked chicken with rice pilaf. The pilaf was fantastic. It had red and orange pepppers, garlic, scallions, chicken broth and soy sauce. So, I'm trying to stay away from sweets, but in reality I'll need a little something now and again.

Phyllis

http://www.picturetrail.com/pwmatt check out new pics posted 12/20

I'm also trying the whole "clean eating" thing. After a few weeks of getting started, however, I always go back to my old ways. I'm determined this time!

Liz

I definitely need to join this group. I am addicted to chocolate!! I am happy to report that I have not had any today or any sweets for that matter.:) I have really been eating clean today and like someone else said,"I am starving!" I am about to go brush my teeth, so that should be the end of that!
Marilu Henner calls sugar, "kiddie cocaine" and says it is the only drug that is meant to be legal. She also claims that if you abstain from sweets for 4 days, you will kick the physical craving.

Gin

I can't count the number of times that I reached for junk today and then that little lightbulb reminded me of this challenge. I had to literally draw my hand back from the cookies (chocolate with white chips), Doritos, frosted sugar cookies...you get the idea!

This challenge reminded me to STOP! It is just a habit for me to eat the junk and I need to break the habit.

I did manage to eat well today: cereal, granola bar, banana, grilled turkey with cheese, turkey and one splurge was a sausage thing on a wonton rollup thingie (at a party). No alcohol (at a party, even!!). Lots of water and a little apple cider.

Keep up the effort ladies! You are accountable to us now! Keep checking in whenever you can, but always keep the challenge in mind!
Jenn

hello ladies,

so glad to see this thread get started. i could really use the help this challenge offers.

today i did great, absolutely no sweets. i did have a few tortilla chips...but i had a better day than usual so i am happy about that.

have a great night ladies. we can do this together!!

>Can anyone join this check-in? Because I really have a sweet
>tooth!! I make cookies just so I can eat the dough - pathetic,
>I know. Since I do have a tremendous sweet tooth, I need to be
>honest - I can't do it hardcore, nothing, nada. It's too much
>for me. So, I decided to treatment myself after supper (when
>my urge is the strongest) with 1 or 2 bites of a square of
>Ghiradelli dark chocolate, just enough to take away that urge.
>Otherwise, I think I'd seriously go crazy. I'm hoping that
>this reduces the urge and makes my sweet tooth more manageable
>long-term.
>
>Today, I've eaten very clean. And I'm starving...
>
>Terri

Anyone can join!

I'm back and I don't have good news. A friend came by to visit and she brought more chocolate covered marshmallows (seems that everybody is buying those) and brazo gitano (if you don't know what this is...it's a Puerto Rican cake that looks like a roll and it's filled with cream and/or fruit... the one she brought has a guava filling). Anywho she came when I was eating dinner so I had yet another marshmallow and a thin slice of brazo gitano. Some other time I would've eaten all the marshmallows and a huge slice of brazo gitano but the challenge is helping. So that's it. I've been bad, but not so bad.

I would love to join you ladies on this one also. I have done 45 days with no junk food/sweets in the past. I can recall a significant change in my body when I did this. Please, please let me join the challenge. My eating hasn't been great the last couple of months and I have not exercised in 8 weeks. Can you believe that I just took the shrink wrap off my new Cathe DVD's for preview during the holidays. I have had them for 2 months. I haven't tried them yet. I just figured that I will start back over with the other workouts before I try the new ones since I have failed to do any form of exercise for 8 weeks----no excuse!!!

I had no sweets today---do blackberries count? They were soooo good and much better than a piece of chocolate candy!

Welcome Affirm. I don't think blackberries count as sweets if they're fresh.

I would like to add that if you haven't exercised in 8 weeks you shouldn't start with the new workouts. I've been working out non-stop for almost a year and I hurt myself doing the cardio blast premix of Drill Max the first time. I took 3 days of rest and tried it again and I was fine, but I learned my lesson: take it slow when I'm not familiar with the workout or I could end up with an injury. Another thing I would like to say, because I've been in your shoes before, is that you should take it easy the first few weeks. If your body asks for a rest day, even if it's not scheduled, take it and resume your workouts the next day. Before you know it you'll be giving it 100%. I would skip weight lifting for a week or two also, and then gradually add weights to your workouts. The most important thing is to start, before you know it it'll be a year later. I was in your shoes back in Jan 10, 06 and now I can even do straight legged push-ups which I could never do before.

Well I have eaten "cleanly" for the past two days. I couldn't take any more sugar which I devoured lots of between the 26 - 31st December. I hope to keep eating "cleanly" for the whole month as I am a shocker if I even have a little bit of chocolate or sweets. I seem to just eat and eat it for days on end once I start , so I am hoping this check in will stop me from having that first bite. I also started fitnessfreaks' rotation yesterday so I am quite motivated at the moment.

Good luck to everyone.

Kim :)

I'm anxious to take on this challenge. I'm completely out of control and have been for some time, I feel bloated, gross and generally disgusted with myself. Thanks for some much needed inspiration.

I'm proud of myself. I watched TV last night without reaching for the Hershey's kisses that are in my LR! I can't get rid of them because I don't want to deprive the rest of my family! I think I need to move the jar out of arms reach.

Phyllis

http://www.picturetrail.com/pwmatt check out new pics posted 12/20

Happy New Years Everyone :D :D

Nice thread, :p I am in, I picked up 4 lb within a week over the holidays, glad it is OVER. I had no sweets from Friday till now and stepped on the scale this morning and I'm down 3lbs ;)

I love Cathe’s calendar to, especially the small section where you add your measurements, which I did not do January 1st, but I did this morning and I will not step back on my scale until February 1st and will take my measurements again.

I also started one of Cathe’s older rotation Aug 05 Boot Camp/Sweat and Tears man it is tough. But, I am going to add-on of course, the new workouts, cant stay away from those they are AWESOME. Have a great day and stay focused ;)

Teddygirl~

Day 2 and so far, so good. I am pretty determined to drop the bad habits this time around, and the sugared free-for-all tops the list. Ugh. I hate when I do self-destructive things... what's worse is they FEEL so bad! It's not even like you're getting more than momentary pleasure out of it. Double ugh!

Hope you all have a great day today!

Marie

I would like the join the check-in. I My goal is to only have fruit and some stevia in my tea to cure my sweet tooth. No cookies, candy ect. Basicually no added sugar.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.