NEW RUNNERS JULY 2010!

syzygy314

Cathlete
Early Happy 4th everyone! :D Just thought I'd go ahead and start us a new thread for the month.

Do you think we should come up with a new name for our group seeing how none of us are really "new runners" anymore? We can keep the New Runners title in ( ) until everyone finds us, if that really matters since it seems we are it! :eek:

Lets vote!

Happy July!!!

I am taking a much needed rest day. I was going to go for a run but it's raining...again. I think we are getting rain from T.S. Alex today. I'm really sore from that workout yesterday as well as I guess a rest will do me good.

Alisha ~ I can relate to your experience with your mom and the hospital. I'm getting good at sitting around and waiting for chemo, doctor's appointments, etc. Right now mom is doing radiation and she has to go every day. Unfortunately both me and my sister work out of town. My other sister is going to try and go with her at least once a week, if not more. It's really hard not being there for her but she is doing great.

Lisa ~ Yay! Come on over whenever you want. My yard is a blank canvas!! :p

Tricia ~ Yes, I think we should come up with a new name! I will try to think of something but I'm not very creative.

Hi Cindi!

Hope everyone has a great evening!

Happy 1st of July! Oh, wait, the holiday is when? Oops! LOL!

Going to post this here then look for a July thread and do it again there if there is one!

Jane - I know I couldn't have gotten through half of that workout you did yesterday! Whew!

Alisha - That's go to be really hard, trying to keep someone engaged and not bored for 5 hours! A co-worker of mine has been on both ends of treatments like that, with her thyroid cancer and her mother-in-law's treatments. It really does wear a person down! I hope your mom will be doing better after this infusion!

Which workout did you do yesterday, again? 650 cals! Wow! I need to get my cal burner going again! I'm relaxing my eating habits a bit too much these days. Gotta reign it in!

Lisa - I agree, shoot the deer! Take them to the processor and eat them! Yum! I do miss my venison . . .

I think we should be the JOGGLERS myself but I don't know if that's infringing on Alisha's trademark word or demeaning to those of you who run seriously or seriously run or whatever :D.

Tricia - I love venison too. I don't eat commercial meat so venison (killed, cleaned and processed by Andy), beef (raised by my dad) and fish (killed by yours truly) are really the only meat I eat.

Jane - Enjoy your rest day!

Alisha - How are you?

Cindi - Hope your having fun.

I did a Latin dance workout this morning on FitTV and did yoga during the commercials. I was look for something fast, easy and stretchy and that was it. I may try to workout again this evening but no promises.

Lisa

Lisa - I like JOGGLERS! We'll have to see what Alisha says! We can always give her a copyright on it and pay her a very small stipend! You know, brownies, cookies, anything gluten free as payment!

I miss my wild turkey, venison, fresh fish, dove, quail, etc., etc.

Don't worry if you miss your second workout tonight! I never heard my alarm this morning! I woke up ONE HOUR late! No time for my B&G workout this morning unfortunately! I was going to make it up when I got home. I left all my stuff set up, but forgot my appointment today was to have that wart frozen one more time and it hurts like a bugger! Not only that, but I'm running in the morning and less than 12 hours of recovery after B&G would not be good before a run, so I skipped.

I can't get over how upset I was about missing! Guess I"m really getting used to those morning workouts! It was so bad, I almost felt guilty about eating breakfast! Do I need intervention?

I posted on the Ask Cathe forum about this and I want your opinions:

Thinking of changing my workout strategy and doing more weights and less cardio. Thought I'd change my cardio from long steady state (except for my weekend runs) to more HIIT and interval work.

Here's the reason, I'm at goal weight, but am still pretty flabby everywhere, have high BF still and my belly sticks out (because of the still high BF). Last time I was working out a lot, I didn't have this problem. The BF came down with the weight. Guess it's that 40s thing? My diet is pretty darn good. I follow clean eating and enjoy myself only on the weekends, yes, sometimes too much, but not always.

Do you think this will help at least some? I plan on doing some more clean up work on the diet as well, but my main concern is that I'm not seeing the muscle definition I had started getting with STS now that I'm on different rotations. They're Cathe's rotations, so I thought I wouldn't lose any of that, but I am.

Okay, that's enough from me! How is everyone else's Friday going? Big plans this weekend? None for me! Just paying it by ear one day at a time!

Jogglers sounds good to me!

Well, I intended to do a run this morning, instead I was doing puke-max in the bathroom. Apparently, there is a 12 hour tummy bug going around and I probably caught it at the doctor's office. I will try to do some yoga later today, tomorrow depends on how I feel. I might just go for an easy hike or if I feel good I might do a step workout. I have to prepare a couple of fruit trays for a party in the evening at our client's house.

Tricia- I have to reign in my cals/carbs again. I know I'm not behaving when I won't look at the scale:eek: Never feel guilty about eating breakfast so long as its not a cinnamon bun. What works for me in losing body fat is (as though I had room to suggest, since I got about 50 pounds to go:rolleyes:) 45-60 min of intervals for the cardio at least once a week. Do whatever you want the rest of the time. Avoid soy it retards the ability for you to absorb your own thyroid. Now, if I would only follow my own advice.:p You can also add a tablespoon of oil drizzled over any vegetable side dish to up your healthy fats which often will put you into fat burn mode and help build muscle.

Lisa- Hi, I sure wish I lived closer cause I would pay for that kind of meat and fish. Maybe I need to find a hunter with excess grub on his/her hands.

Jane- I hope your Mom is feeling more gooder than badder today.

Cindi- Hows it going?

Alisha - I hope you're feeling better today!

I don't do soy very much, so I don't think that's too much of an issue. Thanks for the tips! I'll try upping my olive oil. I use it to cook, but that's it. Maybe that will help some along with the other changes.

I posted this to Ask Cathe and 40 people have viewed my post, but there have been no responses! I'm really surprised! I would think that would get a lot of activity since so many people usually have some input on questions like that!

Had a good run this morning! I think I've finally broken through the breathing issues I'd been having in this weather. I had a good run, but it was slow because we took Peanut. I just couldn't leave her at home today! She was so excited and happy! She slowed down after about 3/4 of a mile! LOL! What a trooper, though! She made the whole run - 4.3 miles.

I hope everyone is having a good day!

Jane - How is your mom doing today?

Cindi - I hope you are having a blast on your vacation! Miss you around here!

Lisa - What's going on with you today?

Hi Everyone!!

I ran out of time yesterday and didn't post.

I did a quick workout of 2 rounds - 2 minutes of the following exercises with a 1 minute rest in between.
Ball Slams
Swings
Jump Rope
Driveway Runs

I did a 5 mile run this morning and did a bicep and tricep workout afterwards. It was a beautiful morning with cool temps and a lovely breeze....very rare in South Georgia in July.

I like Jogglers too!!

Tricia ~ I totally agree with your workout strategy. You will need the HIIT and intervals to get rid of some the flabby stuff and doing more weights will definitely give your muscle definition and work on fighting the fat as well. Try it for 6 weeks and see what happens. Everyone is different and you have to try things out to see what works best for you. It's definitely different when you get into your late 40's on what works and what doesn't. You just have to play with it and see what works best. Go for it!!

Mom is doing good. She has had 4 days of radiation so far. She still has fatigue but that is normal for everything she has been through. I'm so excited that she decided to go shopping with her friend this morning!

Alisha ~ Hope you feel better today.

Hi to Lisa and Cindi!!

No, I didn't get a second workout in yesterday. Oh well. I did Push-Pull this morning and a Bollywood dance workout from FitTV. Then I loaded my car, cleaned my house, weeded, fertilized, added a couple of plants and watered the garden so I will be ready to head for Hatteras first thing in the morning. I'll be there until classes start again in mid-August.

Jogglers it is then! Unless Cindi objects when she returns from vacation (which should be soon, right?).

Alisha - I hope you are feeling better. Count Puke-Max as a good ab workout anyway :confused:

Jane - Nice run and workout! Glad your mom is feeling a little better.

Tricia - I find that more weights (up to 5 times a week for me - right now a combo of kb, Cathe or BBL), less cardio (at this point, a couple of random times per week) and interval rather than steady state cardio is the ticket for me. I find that lots of steady state running or heavy lifting make me gain. Go figure.

I gained weight when I was training for a half marathon fall of '08 and have done nothing but lose it since. I started to lose more after I switched to Cardio Coach. I started to gain more when I was doing the longer volumes and now I mostly do the 30-40 minute volumes. Oddly enough, when I do kick out a steady state run with a friend, I'm running just as well or better than I used to (up to three miles anyway - haven't tried for longer than that in who knows how long.) I've also mentioned before that I get "poufy" if I do a lot of heavy lifting. Good luck figuring out what works for you but I'd say go ahead and try more lifting and do short rounds (20-30 minutes) of cardio intervals 3 days a week. I'm really starting to feel that the "all-out" exercise mentality actually does my body more harm than good.

Lisa

Hi Jane! Glad your mom is doing pretty well. 5 miles! You did more than I did this weekend! Glad the weather was cooperative, too! It was for us as well - cooler in the morning and not humid, but today we're back in the 90s!

Lisa - No sweat on the 2nd workout, right? Just a bonus if you get it in! Enjoy Hatteras for the rest of the summer! "See" you back in August!

So it is! I've scheduled the STS undulating rotation for after my 10K in October. I'll tweak the cardio to be more interval and HIIT and hopefully, I'll have the Shock Cardio DVDs then! I don't like to stop in the middle of anything, so I want to finish my current 4 week rotation, then it's training for my 10K, so I won't actually start this until November! I may go ahead and change out my cardio days to CC runs, at least while it's still light early in the morning!

I'll have to see what happens. I don't know - now I'm getting wishy-washy and wondering if I should go ahead and make a change. Oh, well! I'll keep you posted!

Hello Alisha! Hope you're having a good weekend and are still feeling better!

Cindi - How is that vacation going? We're all thinking about you and wishing we were enjoying some time off with you! At least, I am! LOL!

Just made some sweet rolls from a King Arthur recipe for breakfast this morning! OMG! They were fabulous!

Still feeling better

Tricia- I would love to eat those sweet rolls! :D

It is really common to put on weight with just LSB workouts (long slow burn). Intervals makes the difference on my booty/legs/thigh/ankles (weird right, but I lose on my feet too.) I used to worry about how much time I was in my THR but if I'm just really pushing it that works better than avoiding my peak (around 185 beats per minute.) That said, don't kill yourself, k? ;)

Lisa-I never thought of Puke Max as an ab workout, cool! I get poufy if I do heavy lifting too. Ckts or yoga based workouts produces more of a fat loss than just lifting heavy.

Jane- I'm glad your Mom is handling her radiation well:)

Cindi- Hope you are having fun!

I took today off. This is my rotation for the next week:

Sunday: off.
Monday: Jog 2 min. intervals. + Advanced Yoga (strength/abs)
Tuesday: Low Max
Wednesday: Jog 3 min. intervals + Easy Yoga (stretch)
Thursday: off
Friday: Jog 4 min. intervals + Advanced Yoga (strength/abs)
Saturday: Jog 4 min. intervals + Easy Yoga (stretch)

Its a Monday!

I did my 2 min. intervals, hill or otherwise. I use these short intervals as a way to build up endurance and speed on hills. Then I did 20 min. of yoga. And then I had a gluten free high fiber brownie and a little bit of the strawberry Breyer's ice cream. It has half the carbs of the Haagen Daz 5 ingredient ice creams, I don't know why but what the heck, I'll take the last few bites out of the carton (it was my brother's but whats he gonna do?:p)

I feel pretty good. I am tired now, but I'm always a bit tired after a workout. I plan to work in the kitchen all day, its gotten a bit out of hand. I'm going to make a pork stir fry for lunch with rice wine vinegar, Tamari sauce, and fresh peaches. I think we need a smiley face thats licking her lips.

Hi everybody, have a wonderful day!

I took the dogs for a beach walk this morning (about three miles) and then did BBL High and Tight and tagged on Bum Bum Rapido. The bikini culture here encourages me to stay on track!

Alisha - I'm a half-glass-full kind of person. If your going to puke, at least you're engaging your core. I got really bad migraines as a child/teenager and remember waking up in the morning and my abs hurting like all get out.

It's funny because lifting consistently (and with moderately heavy weights) is absolutely key to me losing/maintaining weight but a good whole body or 2-day split a couple of times a week does the job. 3 or 4-day splits make me pouf. It's the same thing with running 30-40 minutes is great, an hour or more and I start to gain. I guess my body likes the happy medium and it absolutely loves kbs.

Tricia - Mmmm, sweet rolls. Yum. Enjoy your active day and have some ice cream for me.

Jane - That was a heck of a workout you did yesterday - yikes!

Cindi - Yoo hoo! How was your vacation?

Lisa

Alisha - Sounds like a nice rotation for this week!

Lisa - A beach walk sounds lovely! Here, you can't take your pets on the beach until after Labor Day, then you have free access with pets until Memorial Day. It amazes me how anti-dog they are here, but almost everyone has them! Go figure!

This week consists of quite a bit of weight work, so I'm looking forward to it. The only one I'm concerned about is Body Max 2. I've never done it, but reviewed it and I can't believe how long it is! I know I won't be able to finish the whole thing by 6:30. I have the downloads, so no premixes - any suggestions? I have Leaner Legs on Friday, I think, maybe Saturday.

I sure wish SNM would get on that Workout Blender and get it up and running! I could really use it!

Hi Everyone!

Hope everyone had a good 4th! My sisters and I got outside early and did a Crossfit workout called "Murph". It consisted of:

1 mile run
100 Pull ups (Jumping)
200 Push ups
300 Squats
1 mile run

We did this in boot camp years ago and I never finished it and always wanted to do it. So I finally completed it yesterday. The key is to do as many squats as possible in the beginning because they are insanely tough as the workout goes on.

I'm taking a rest day today. I worked out for 2 hours in the yard and I'm really tired today. It feels nice to be lazy. Not looking forward to work tomorrow. :confused:

Lisa ~ I would love a beach walk right now. Hope you have a great time in Hatteras.

Alisha ~ You have a nice rotation planned for the week.

Tricia ~ I have Body Max 2 but have never done it all the way through. I think I only did the premixes.

Hi Cindi ~ Hope you enjoyed your vacation!!

Last edited:
Hi Runners! I'm back. :)

Still not running though - but I will hang out with you guys anyway if you don't mind. I'm going to another podiatrist tomorrow to see what she says about this bone spur. It was bother me a lot during vacation just from all the walking we did.

Anyway - vacation was a lot of fun, we saw a lot of things and drove tons which wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. It is nice to be home though. Saw niagara falls and also Fallingwater (any architecture fans?)

I had never been to western NY and PA before - it is beautiful there, so green and hilly.

This past weekend we were home, but crazy busy getting things back in order around here.

I started the TurboFire rotation on Sunday. So far I've done HIIT 15, Sculpt 30, Fire 30 and Stretch 10. I really liked the intensity of these workouts. HIIT is new to me and it was really hard but short so that made it do-able. I'm going to continue doing spin + turbofire for a few months and try to add in some easy running depending on what the podiatrist says.

Jogglers works for me!

Tricia - I've done BodyMax 2 once all the way through. It's broken into segments so you could skip part of it if you wanted to. It's not bad even though it's long because each segment is so different from the other. Good luck!

Alisha (and everyone) - I find too that I start to gain with lots of running that is steady state. I have done well with 3 days running/2-3 days weights. If I cut back on weights to do more running, I start to gain. I am hoping all the HIIT workouts in TurboFire will help me shed a few pounds of fat.

Jane - that Murph workout looks tough!

Lisa - enjoy that beach! I am always motivated to watch the diet and exercise when I'm at the beach or a pool.

Have a great day everyone!

Hi Cindi!!! Welcome back! We missed you. Btw, we don't care if you don't run at all, its all good (providing your tootsies get better soon.)

I'm doing low max today and then I go to work and video construction.

Have a great day everybody!

Hi fellow Jogglers!!

I have not worked out today. I rode this morning (work) and am supposed to ride again this afternoon (fun) but I have a headache so I'm going to see if the advil does its job.

Cindi - Welcome back! I hate to say how long its been since I've run. I love the fact that "Jogglers" makes it a lot easier to live up to expectations than "Runners" did ;)

Jane - You are my workout hero. The beach walk was very nice.

Tricia - They do have strict leash-laws here. I have to keep mine on-leash most of the time because I can't afford to be cited for three running off-leash. We bend the rules a little more in the winter.

Alisha - Woo hoo! I love intervals. They make life much more achievable :).

Lisa

Hi Ladies and welcome back Cindi! We sure missed you around here! Glad to hear that your trip was really nice and you had fun! Don't worry about the non-running thing! I'm jealous that you have TF!!! So many of my friends do and I want it so badly! I hope you get some relief and real help from your podiatrist with that bone spur!

Alisha - I hope LM was good for you today!

Lisa - I hope you got some relief from that headache!

Jane - A rest day is a requirement after that Murph workout! Ouch!

Okay, it's official then - next month whoever starts the new thread will change our name to JOGGLERS! Maybe it will be less intimidating to others and we'll get some newbies in here that we can brainwash into our way of thinking! LOL! Do we have one? I forget! ;)

Anyway, it's Cardio Kicks tomorrow. I did Power Hour this morning and I liked that one! Basic, but certainly not easy with all those rhythm changes and low ends and stuff!

Have a great Tuesday night everyone! We're melting up here for most of this week. Supposed to start getting some relief on Thursday! I hope they're right! It won't get here soon enough!

Hi Everyone!

It was so busy at work today that I didn't have time to check-in.

I swam 80 laps this evening but I was really sluggish. I really had to push through to get the 80 laps in.

Cindi ~ Welcome back! Your trip sounded fabulous!! I hope your appointment with the new podiatrist goes well tomorrow. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Alisha ~ Hope you had fun with Low Max

Lisa ~ I hope your headache went away and you were able to go riding for fun this afternoon. Awww....thanks for your kind words.

Tricia ~ Stay cool!!! I don't want you to melt!!

Hope everyone has a great evening!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.