New Runners February 2010

RapidBreath

Cathlete
Welcome!!!! Its February 2010. Can you believe it?

Goals for this month? Fitness things you would like to do or achieve? Adding any new good habits? Rededicating yourselves to the road?

I am! My goal is to lose 3-4 pounds of fat this month. I want to stick to my rotation. I want to be sure to get my yoga in, for some reason that seems to make a major difference in terms of my body. I want to stick to the foods/eats that have produced good results in the past and to avoid the foods that haven't produced good results. In other words whole fruits, vegetables, meats, and plenty of good fats. In the past month my thinking has been protecting my eating. I come up with reasons why I can have a treat food during the week rather than on my cheat day and the results have shown themselves on the scale. Bummer but hey, its honesty time right?

The main change to my rotation is that I know the more time I spend on the road, the thinner I get, without fail. So, my new goal is to get up to four days a week on the road weather permitting.

So, lead on fearless runners, lead on!

I'm so happy it's finally February! I thought January would never end!

Those are some great goals Alisha!

My only goal for this month is to cook more new clean meals more often! I eat clean, but I tend to cook the same things over and over. Gets a little bit boring! I started a little bit last month, but I really want to get better at it! Also, I want to keep more of a variety of clean foods around for lunch. That is my weakest point. I never seem to know what to have or what I want for lunch, so, if I can make sure I have things pre-made that are clean, it will be easier!

Since I have reached my goal weight, my new goal for this next year is to get my body fat down. I'd like to get it down around 15-16%, but if I can just get it below 20% in the next year, I'd be happy! Then, I can tweak it down a bit more!

My DH has told me that I have no more excuses for not running all year! We went out on Sunday - the temp was 17 with a wind chill of 5. Brrr! I was appropriately dressed and had a face mask on to keep my cheeks from freezing off! I made it just fine! So, I guess he's right! I can now officially run all year long!

See you on the road!

Hey runners! My goal is to stick with my running plan this month and maintain my weight.

Rest last night but I did go to a local running store. They had a chiropracter presenting on achilles pain. It was very informative. My right heel has continued to bother me so I thought it would be good to get some professional advice before I seriously hurt it. He gave me a set of exercises to do every night and because my tendons under that foot were a little tight, he recommended I wear a night splint (it's a sock with a strap that goes from you toes to your knee to keep your foot in a flexed position). I got through half the night before I had to take it off but I think that the splint along with the exercises will help.

Because I've only been dealing with this for 4 months or so, and it is pretty mild, he was really optimistic that I should feel a lot better in 2 weeks. He also recommended I keep taking my glucosamine/chondroitin and a mulit-mineral to help the tissue repair.

So good session - I learned a lot. I will post the exercises later - I don't have the paper with me right now.

Running and zumba tonight.

Hi!

I did good yesterday. I got half a pound off, I'm guessing it was salt. I ate well and did my workout last night. I really liked the Step Heat. I could have done it on a set of risers. I was cruising just under 150 bpm most of the time.

This morning I ate pretty well. I did have a chocolate craving and had a small little bite of a chocolate gluten free brownie and less than a 1/2 cup of Larry/Luna's coconut chocolate ice cream (no dairy/gluten.) Its a higher calorie day. I was smart, I had my salmon/spinach first.

Its sunny and I wish I had gotten up earlier and gone out for a run. It was supposed to rain so I hadn't set my alarm. I'm setting it from now on, the forecast is usually wrong anyway. Later I'm planning on HIIT 30/30 and maybe a dance tape. I don't know which one. Belly dancing, jazz or ballet?

Cindi

I think that was really smart. I had a physical therapist as a kid and it made a big difference to do the stretches and specific weight training.

Smart!

Tricia- maybe I should post some simple clean recipes for meals. Would that help? Even if you don't make those ones, maybe they can give you ideas.

I like to start with an ingredient and work from there. I don't know what is in season for you right now. I live in CA and we get so much fresh produce I'm a bit spoiled. lol :p

Here is a recipe on my blog: http://edhdiet.blogspot.com/2010/02/italian-vegetable-soup.html

Happy February runners,
I did the full-body Pyramid premix this morning. I always wonder why there are two rounds of leg presses in it so I do a round of split squats (one leg on bench, at the top do a leg raise with the lower leg) and then I subbed in split lunges (rear leg up on bench - well fireplace actually since I don't have a bench). I did get in a good walk yesterday with a friend along with some yoga. This afternoon I think its going to be a short slushy walk or run with the pups.

I don't have great ambitions but I would like to get Gym Style Back and Bis and the Brazilian Butt Lift program and start getting my butt/thighs in shape for bathing suit season. I hate the name of the BBL program but it sounds like the sort of cardio that I could do and would be interested to see what it can do for my thighs.

Tricia ~ I know they aren't real accurate but my scale says my body fat % ranges between 22.5 and 24.5 (depending on the day). I couldn't imagine getting down to 16 or 17!!

Lisa

Lisa

Thanks Alisha! :)

Tricia - Ellie Krieger has great recipes. I'm with Lisa - I can't imagine getting my fat % to 16.

Here are my notes from the info session last night at my local running store. A chiropractor (who is also a runner) came to give us tips on improving our achilles pain/issues. He also 'handled' our feet to check for flexibility, swelling, etc. For me, he also wanted to see me walk and thought I had an SI joint mis-alignment but it didn't hurt so he suggested I work on healing the achilles and not worry about the SI joint unless it starts to cause pain.

Notes on Achilles/Calf pain –

Diagnosis:
Achilles pain is caused when the tendon or associated muscles become inflamed or irritated with micro-adhesions forming between the muscles, tendons, or fascia in the lower leg. The diagnosis may be confirmed with pain or ache when pushing off (sometimes more intense when getting out of bed) or rising up on the toes, tenderness over the Achilles tendon, stiffness lessons as you warm up, a mild swelling or bump on the tendon, or a crackling/creaky sound when you move the tendon.

Cause:
Achilles pain is most commonly associated with a sudden increase in intensity or frequency of exercise. It may also be associated with a change in sport or compensatory injury from a change in gait or poor running form. (too much, too soon)

Secondly, excessive pronation or a flat arch contributes to extra stress to the tendon and will contribute to calf and Achilles pain.

Treatment:
R.I.C.E (rest, ice, compression, elevation)
New shoes
Orthotics (try taping arch first to see if that helps, that may indicate an orthotic would be useful. Try Superfeet before podiatrist to save money)
Night Splint (to keep foot flexed at night)
Stretches/strengthening – see video – focus on Eccentric Contraction - http://www.runnersworld.com/runnersbody/ (watch the shin and calf video)
Mineral supplements for muscle/tendon support – multi mineral and glucosamine/chondroitin
Freeze water in a Dixie cup to use for ice massage on the area
Contrast therapy can help as well – ice first then soak in warm/hot water
Running while recovering is ok – on flat surfaces only, no hills or incline treadmill work
Cross train with bosu/wobbleboard work. Workouts that incorporate lateral moves

Journal your treatments and pain/discomfort levels for two weeks. If you don’t see a change, try something else or seek professional help (active release therapy, cross friction massage, ultra-sound therapy, etc.)

Hi Everyone!

Thank you for your thoughts and prayers.

My dad passed away yesterday afternoon very peacefully at home. We were all with him (including my sister via phone). It was a beautiful moment. I'm so happy he is now home with his mom, dad and brother.

I'm be checking back in later in the week. I'm off until Friday and will start to workout on Saturday.

Thanks again,

My heartfelt condolences, Jane. I know you won't get this until later in the week, but I just wanted to tell you how sorry I am. I'm glad he's at peace now and reunited with loved ones.

My prayers and thoughts are with you still and always.

Hi Everyone!

My dad passed away yesterday afternoon very peacefully at home. We were all with him (including my sister via phone). It was a beautiful moment. I'm so happy he is now home with his mom, dad and brother.

I'm be checking back in later in the week. I'm off until Friday and will start to workout on Saturday.

Thanks again,

Cindi - Sounds like a productive use of time! We all have issues with our feet and achilles at some time or other! Thanks for posting what you learned!

Alisha - I did Step Heat tonight! I used 8" on my step. 6" just isn't enough to get my intensity up and my HR going anymore! It was a good workout! Congrats on finally making some progress on those stubborn pounds! Thanks for the link to your blog! I'll check it out! I just get so stuck on the usual 2 or 3 things I like to eat for lunch and am not all that creative, nor do I have a lot of time at lunch for preparation! I'd love to see more of your ideas! I don't think RI has anything in season right now! LOL! I think we get it all from other states!

Ok, ladies - Do you think my goal of around 15% BF is too ambitious? I used to be down to 17% in my 30s.

Well, tomorrow is legs - I hate legs! I didn't always hate legs. It must just be Cathe's leg workouts! They're tough and challenging, so I guess I just love to hate them! LOL!

Hi Everyone!

Thanks again,

I'm so sorry, Jane. What a blessing that you could all be there for him. See you when you get back.

Jane- I am so sorry to read about your Dad.:( Hugs.

Tricia- It would be cool if you got to the 15% but whoa you'd be one skinny chickadee!

Cindi- thats a lot of really interesting information, I never knew all of that about the achilles.

Lisa- You know what, I wear khaki pants during swimsuit season :D

I might try "Step Max" later. I have a yoga dvd from Netflix called "I love my Yoga." I did 15 minutes this morning. My left knee was complaining a little so I stopped. I have a dental appointment later today. Its just a cleaning so I should be ok.

Jane ~ So sorry for your loss ((hugs)) but glad that your dad was able to pass peacefully at home with the people who love him. We're all thinking of you.

Lisa

Tricia ~ I don't know if your goal of 15% body fat is too ambitious for you but I know it is too ambitious for me :D.

I'm not positive that I did the math right and all of these assumptions are based on the (questionable) accuracy of my bathroom scale but I currently weight 123# (give or take, depending on the day) and I usually weigh in at about 23% body fat (sometimes more, sometimes less). I set up an equation and figured that to make it to 15% bodyfat I would have to go from 123# to 111# (assuming no additional increase in muscle mass which is valid I think given how slowly women actually build lean muscle mass). That isn't realistic *for me* in the context of my life. I can maintain my current weight pretty well - don't have to obsess about food or if I miss, skip, modify a workout. I could physically get to 111# but I think I would be miserable trying to do it.

The basic equation I came up with, if anyone wants to try it or proof it for me was:

current weight - (current weight*current body fat) = x - (x*goal body fat)

Once I simplified it:

[current weight - (current weight*current body fat)]/(1-goal body fat) = goal weight

So for me it was:

[123 - (123*0.23)]/(1-0.15) = 111.4

Certainly, if I wanted to be a fitness competitor or model, I'd need to get my butt in gear but my goal is to be fit, healthy, strong and still have some curves. It just depends on what you want. Crunch the numbers and see how you feel about the final number.

Lisa

*takes off nerd hat and trots away*

Yesterday I did Pyramid total body premix and CC V1 outside with the dogs in the slush (about 2 1/2 miles). Today is pretty much a rest day for me. I did some self-directed yoga and stretching this morning and some abs with the stability ball and 8# medicine ball. I am applying for a part-time census job tonight so wish me luck!

Alisha ~ There's nothing wrong with khaki pants! I am a big fan of sarongs myself. I have a lot more bathing suit pressure now that I spend my summers at the beach in a house full of teenage girls in tiny bikinis - darn them :p I actually refuse to wear shorts because my thighs aren't built for them.

Lisa

lisa - that formula is correct. So I'm 5'9" and for me to hit that % (assuming I don't lose any lean mass) I would have to get to 133. That's really thin - I've been there before and believe me it's not a pretty sight. I had some eating 'challenges' when I was in college and got down to 129 before my family and future husband stepped in and made me eat. :)

I'm convinced my bodyfat is not measured accurately by those hand held devices or my scale. I think being a pear it overestimates my fat because it is in my lower body - that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Anyway - I'm happy around 150 - I can maintain it fairly well and still have enough fuel to do the runs I want to do.

oh - my run last night! I ran 30 minutes easy pace, then did 6X100 - skip, walk, skip, walk, buttkicks, walk, then 10 minutes med/fast. Then Zumba class. FUN FUN!

Last edited:
Good afternoon ladies! I did Step Max. That was fun. A little bit long towards the end there I skipped like 10 minutes. I still got a 400 calorie burn in and I ate fairly well.

Lisa- I don't do the shorts either. Its got to be pants otherwise forget it!

Cindi- At your height, 130 sounds way too thin. I mean, I'm 5'2" and my goal weight is 130. So. . .

Jane if your in here, hi :) I hope you are doing ok.

Tricia- If you get down to 15% I want to see pictures.

Wow!

Holy Crap, Batman! I just did the math and, assuming the formula is correct, which it looks right, I would have to get down to 103!!! I don't think I could ever do that! Okay, well, for now, my revised wish is to get below 20%! I did make it to 17% before, so surely I can do that! Maybe . . . hopefully . . .

Anyone want to go for a run with me on Saturday? My DH will be in class in the morning and I want to get one in this weekend! Any takers?

I will run with you Tricia! Here's my run planned for Saturday: 4x20 progression runs with 5' walk breaks. Are you up for that? ;)

I think even 20% bodyfat would look amazing. How much did you weigh before when you were at 17%?

Didn't get my run in last night because work just kept going and going. But I got it in this morning: 20 minutes slow, 10x(1 min fast/1 min slow), 20 minutes slow, 10x(1 min fast, 1 min slow). Ended up at 7.75 miles.

Hi Cindi!

You know, I've been trying to remember what my weight was at back then. It's driving me crazy! I know that I wasn't in anything smaller than an 8 (now I'm a size 4). I worked strength though 3 hours a day 2 days a week, full body, so I think my muscle mass was a bit more than it is now. Also, I taught about 8 aerobics classes a week! I did 3 step classes in the morning and 5 hi/lo impact classes in the evenings. I was really cut! Even my abs and they're really hard to get to show! Of course, I was also in my 30s as opposed to my late 40's! I'm guessing I was around 130 then.

I was planning on doing a CC interval run Saturday. What is your breakdown? I'm not quite getting what the 4x20 progression is and I'm assuming the 5' is 5 minutes, right? That's the way I write time!

I will run with you Tricia! Here's my run planned for Saturday: 4x20 progression runs with 5' walk breaks. Are you up for that? ;)

I think even 20% bodyfat would look amazing. How much did you weigh before when you were at 17%?

Didn't get my run in last night because work just kept going and going. But I got it in this morning: 20 minutes slow, 10x(1 min fast/1 min slow), 20 minutes slow, 10x(1 min fast, 1 min slow). Ended up at 7.75 miles.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.