New Runners Check-In; All Runners Welcome! August 10, 2009

morningstar

Cathlete
Hey there!

So this morning I did Couch to 5K again, Week 3, workout 3 (mistakenly- I realized halfway through that I had intended to do a HIIT run this morning!) It was good and I am doing better on the three minute intervals, being only three-quarters of the way to dying by the end of each one instead of actually dead. I did it twice. I am hoping that if I do the early workouts in the series twice in each workout, I will be able to handle the later, harder workouts better when I get there.

Today I go back and face the music at work. It could be disastrous, but what's done is done and I'll just have to deal with whatever the consequences are.

Whatchu guys bin upta?

(FYI, if you are looking for the old thread, you can find it here: http://www.thecathenation.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1919869&posted=1#post1919869)

Last edited:
Its 4-DS week

Woo hoo. Its my recovery week. I'm doing just 4-dS this week. I was down two pounds then put on 5 and now I'm down .5 a pound. It was my fault there was some nuts and Cat cookies involved and maybe some fried fish so I know what happened and I'm bouncing back. I tried some stuff that did not work. So, today this morning I'm back to my healthy low carb stuff. I made some Adzuki bean chili and it is so good I'm using my measuring cup to be sure I don't over do it. I'm on evening exercise this week because of my job. I'm really ready to move on with my weight loss. I just need to stay focused.

C-5k is easier than a HIIT workout.

Alisha

Good Morning Running Friends!

I did cardio coach volume 4 this morning, 4.53miles 41.53 minutes, (hey, what's with .53? Interesting.) The HRM says 257k, treadmills says 763k.

I kept my HR up in the specified zones, and had a limiting-belief-break though. Adjusting my HR %'s a few weeks ago gave me a new perspective on exertion, but today I saw how I have been holding myself back, babying myself thinking that I "couldn't" work out at a higher HR, that I wasn't up to it, or that I needed to be careful, or some such nonsense. Today I pushed myself and while I never made it over 162, I am quite pleased with my effort. My normal steady pace at 6.0 on the treadmill was 6.5-7, and sprints were at 8.

My lower calorie burn from previous months, per HRM, was 100% self-created by my own limiting beliefs.

Alisha, Tom Venuto just posted a newsletter on breaking through plateaus, are you on his mailing list? You are right on the money - adjusting and tweaking is the name of the game.

Morningstar, Sending tons of positive thoughts your way, life has shown me that sometimes things work out the way they should regardless of what I think the outcome should be. P.S - you have really nice collarbones! lol:D

I have to jam back down the mountain again today for dental hygiene appts. must run for now.

Hello everyone!

Janis, it's good to see you back! Congrats on pushing the mental limit!! I do that to myself too, especially with each passing week of C25K. Everytime I see how far I have to run I immediately think "no way", but I force myself to keep putting one foot in front of the other, and I always make it!! Now, running for 20 minutes straight on Friday might be another story, but I'll give it my best shot!

Morningstar, how did things go at work? That type of stuff used to mess up my stomach because I'd fret too much about it. Janis is right, things have a way of working out and sometimes the fretting was all for nothing! Good luck today!

Alisha, I tried going low carb once years ago but it made me terribly dizzy. I hope you find what works for you! I love the 4DS cardio, but was never crazy about the weight work. I may need to re-visit it though.

Today's workout was Week 5, Day 1 of C25K. I ran three 5 minute intervals with about 2 minutes rest in between. It felt so good! I've given up the idea of doing CLX with C25K, it's just way too much work on my legs. I'm going to focus on C25K now and maybe re-visit CLX sometime in the future.

Hope everyone has a great day! :D

Hey guys,

Things did go okay at work, although it was a very stressful day (and tomorrow is going to be nasty!)

Janis, way to go on the mental-limit-pushing! It's not the legs that stop, it's the brain! And you know what? I DO have a nice collarbone!

Alisha, I have been kinda waffling on the low carb thing. I find that I have lots of energy on low carb, but that I eat too much over all. So I'm trying this thing (just started) where on days that I weight-lift I will go higher in carbs, and on other days I will go low carb (well, as low as a vegetarian gets, anyway). I'm also trying out a new supplement regimen that includes L-Glutamine, and that has an interesting effect for me. Usually if I eat white bread, or even whole grains in large amounts, I zonk out- I mean, so I crash so fast it's like a drug hit me. The L-Glutamine takes away that crash and sort of smoothes out the highs and lows of my blood sugar. I'll report more over time, in case it helps anyone else.

Christine, I also dropped CLX, after one month for me, for different reasons than yours. I just didn't like it and was dreading my workouts.

Morningstar, I wanted to share that I have hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) and before I knew that, I found that I would always crash following the consumption of carbs alone (still do!) It wasn't until I started adding a good protein source with every meal (including snacks), was I able to eat carbs and not have that zombie feeling afterwards. I try and only eat good carbs though like whole grains (besides tons of veggies & fruit), but there are occasions where I treat myself to some sweets or "bad" carbs and I go into comatose mode!

I didn't care much for CLX either, but I only did it for one week. My main problem was that it was working my legs so hard that it interfered with my running. It felt like I was wearing cement blocks on my shoes!

Morningstar - I'm glad everything was okay at work! It is so stressful not to know if you're going to be fired or whatever after an incident! Especially when you have to wait all weekend!

Way to go everyone on your recent successes! I didn't make it out until around 11 a.m. today (had the day off) and it was brutally hot!!! At least it wasn't humid! I made it through my 30 minute run, then walked the rest of the way back and stretched. My DH came with and brought our two beagles for a walk. My baby girl, Peanut, didn't get very far! She's kinda like Cartman from South Park! When she's done, she's done! She'll just sit her butt right down and won't budge! My DH had to pick her up and carry her a little way! I missed all this as I ran ahead! When I didn't see them on my way back, I knew they had turned back to the car! They did enjoy their walk though! It was just so hot today! Then I had to go to my golf lesson (my last one) this afternoon and I was so tired and worn out from my run that I didn't do too well.

It was still a good day! :)

Hey Fab Femmes of Fitness,

Today's run was the HIIT run I was supposed to do yesterday. It was good, not great, but good. Interestingly enough, I burned almost the exact same number of calories doing the HIIT run today that I did doing the C25K yesterday. Weird.

Christine, I have reactive hypoglycemia, which basically just means that sometimes after I eat, a few hours later my blood sugar will drop like a stone. So I try to eat like a bodybuilder- many small meals every few hours, only eat carbs with protein and/or healthy fats. Trouble is, I absolutely LOVE bread! I mean, true adoration, legendary-type relationship with bread. I actually prefer whole grain bread, but in the amounts I like to eat, the glycemic load is still extreme. So, the L-Glutamine might be really helpful, as it is most often when my blood sugar is low that I crave breads. I hate pasta with the passion of a thousand burning suns though, so go figure!

Janis, I loved your story of your DH and the salsa spoon! Does your family know you have a blog?

Alisha, would you be willing to post your adzuki bean chili recipe? I think I make the best vegetarian chili in the whole world (I don't cook much so I have to take my triumphs where I find them!) but I'm always interested in learning new ways of cooking chili!

Hi everyone!

Tricia, I hate when I don't get to run until a little later on in the day because of the heat! You're not kidding, it's definitely brutal!! What a cute story about your beagles! I had a beagle growing up, his name was Digger. :) I just love the way beagles bark! :p

Morningstar, that's too bad about your reactive hypo, I think that's probably worse than getting the shakes if you don't eat. I also find that if I let too many hours go by without eating again, that I crave carbs. Then I stuff my face with them, and then I crash again, and then the cycle repeats!! :confused: I hope the Glutamine works for you!

I have a question for you guys. You seem to burn more calories than me doing C25K and I'm wondering if it's just a matter of you guys running faster than I do, or if it's because I only have a pedometer and I'm not sure if they're accurate at counting calories for running. Actually, MStar, I know you do the programs twice so you would burn more than me, but my cals seem unusually low. For example, I did Week 5, Day 1 yesterday (5 min warm up, 5 min run, 2 min walk, repeat 2x, cool down) and I only burned 187 cals?? Maybe that's right. I'll admit that I'm a jogger and not a runner, but I still work pretty hard. Then, on the days I walk my dog for an hour, I burn over 200 cals. Is it my pedometer? I'll have to look at the instructions that came with it, I bet it's only good at counting cals for walking.

Good Morning Beauties!

I am only partially way through my exercise morning. When I went out to run I still hadn't decided whether to do a recovery run or a tempo run. Due to time, I ended up doing a tempo run - which means, according to the author of the "Heart Rate Running for Idiots", (or whatever the dumb title is) a run at 80%mhr. Now that I am done, I feel good, I feel light, but I also feel wimpy, like I cheated myself. 30:15 minutes, 3.45 miles 156k, I kept my heart rate between 143-156bmp. After I have a yogurt/whey etc.. I am going to do 4 day split, bic's tric's, then laundrymax.

Mstar - I meant to add this little snippet to the spoon story - last night, after dinner, my ds11 was emptying the dishwasher, we had been away on Sunday, so it was still full from Saturday. He is emptying away, and when he gets to the silverware he turns and looks at me, and says "hey, why are there so many spoons in here?" Ds19 smirks at me and we both start laughing. My dh asked "what's so funny?" The ever swift ds19 makes up some story to fit the scenario, which of course makes me laugh even harder.

On an other note, I am interested to hear how the L-Glutamine works for you. I have blood sugar issues too.

Check it out - I am just starting to see a quadricep tear drop forming! of course there is still some knee pudge and a loose layer of fat, but I am so excited to see the thigh definition starting to show. Now THAT is motivation!

Sending even more positive thoughts and intentions to you for your nasty day ahead.

Tricia - I agree with Christine, the beagle story was cute. Running in heat is no fun, hydrate baby hydrate!

Christine - in a post last week you mentioned a running program, Podrunner (?) you said it was weird. I haven't run to anything other than Cardio Coach, and I am curious what made podrunner weird. Your calorie burn seems about right to me. My polar hrm reflects a much lower calorie burn than Morningstar's. Part of it can be attributed to effort, but I think none of the devices are completely accurate. More and more I am using the figure as a gauge of my workout: am I making progress? am I challenging myself? am I under training? There is a calculator at this website that I use too - http://www.caloriesperhour.com/index_burn.php

Alisha - you said this is a recovery week for you. Recovery from??? from running? I just started 4day split too. I haven't used this series before. I enjoyed the kickbox workout and my glutes were surprisingly sore! Even though I am enjoying the drills and functional fitness aspect of 4 day split, I am missing straight weight lifting. Have you done STS?

Hello to Sharon and Sydney and Imfiddy and Colleen and all the other runners - are you still with us? Please chime in!

Last edited:
Quick post as I just realized I forgot to mention my workout for today, doh! Today I did Gym Styles Chest/Triceps (timesaver premix), followed by 20 minute Turbo Jam cardio workout & the standing part of Ab Jam. No running today!

Janis, thanks for the link, I will have to check it out when I have a bit more time. I don't remember saying the podcast was weird, but I'll have to look back. I actually love the podcast that goes along with the C25K workouts (tells you when to run & when to walk). I do remember saying that I didn't enjoy the music as much for certain weeks. In the future I'd like to try cardio coach myself! :D

Hope everyone is having a great day!

Janis, I don't remember saying the podcast was weird, but I'll have to look back. I actually love the podcast that goes along with the C25K workouts I do remember saying that I didn't enjoy the music as much for certain weeks. In the future I'd like to try cardio coach myself! :D

Hope everyone is having a great day!

ROFLMAO!:D I just looked back -no wonder you don't remember saying that - it wasn't you that said it!!! duh.:eek: Sorry. ;)

It was Tricia - Tricia...."I used a Podrunner download. Must say it was weird"
I am curious - what made it weird? And while I am at it, what did you give your hubby for his bday?

Hey guys,

Today was the last workout of week 3 of C25K. Did it twice, even though I almost didn't.

Yesterday at work was nasty, man! All day meeting, interviewing potential consultants, extremely grueling mentally, and then at the end of the day, the boss comes in and tells all of us, "thanks for all the hard work. We have to throw it all out and start over." It's not her fault; the situation is completely out of all of our control. I was really tired afterwards- those meetings kill me- and I didn't do my strength training. Lately I really seem to be cardio focused, which worries me. I've made a lot of strength gains, and I don't want to blow that. I just don't seem to feel like moving heavy things lately. Any suggestions?

Janis, congrats on the teardrop- man I'd love to see some definition in my legs!

Christine, I think maybe you and I both have reactive hypoglycemia. Sometimes bread and other carbs zonk me out like Xanax, but sometimes a few hours after carbs my blood sugar crashes and I get the shakes and the feeling that I have to eat right now- get outta my way!

Alisha, I have to disagree about the C25K being easier that HIIT- not for me, that's for sure!!! :eek:

Monday was 4-DS LIS cardio only, then last night it was shoulders/core. Tonight its 4-DS HIS.

Lifeverlasting- I burn more doing C2 5k perhaps because I weigh more. The more you weigh the more you burn according to the HRM. (I weigh a lot)

MStar- I'm not a mom I just found this when I googled Adzuki Bean chili. I did not use the onions or carrot. The beans took a lot longer to get soft. They do require soaking overnight and you might want to change the water a couple of times. I used the organic beans I bought in the bulk section of my grocery store. I used a smaller tin of tomatoes and green chilis. I used brown rice instead of basmati. Its very tasty! I added a tablespoon of olive oil for calories/satiation.

I soaked the beans. I drained them of that liquid. I cooked the beans for over an hour until the liquid was cooked off. I added another 3 cups of water. Then, I added the rice. Cooked it for another hour or so. For the spices, I combined them in a separate bowl and stirred them so that the mixture would be even throughout the dish (no pockets of just turmeric.) Then I added the spices/tomatoes/vegetables. You want a good size pot for all of this.

http://maternitynow.blogspot.com/2006/11/full-of-beans.html

I might try the L-Glutamine. I've fought blood sugar issues all of my life. The first time I remember having a blood sugar crash (seizure and all) I was 6 years old. Dinner was running late and I was cutting vegetables, I sliced my thumb. I got woozy and passed out. Bam. On the ground. Ouch. Very big ouch.

Janis- I'm not doing STS I just do more cardio than a normal reasonable or sane person really would so I do let myself off the hook for ttotm. I only do 4-DS for that week. Also, I'm not interested in lots of jumping then.

Good Morning Runners!

Have you ever had mornings you weren't sure you wanted to run, or do anything else?

Well that is how I felt this morning.

My body felt irritable and cranky. I stood on the treadmill side rails and started/stopped it three times. I did a little jogging, stop, jog, stop, jog, stop etc. Then I went inside, popped an acetaminophen and an ibuprofen in my mouth, swallowed some water, and returned to the treadmill bargaining with myself the whole way, and giving multiple pep talks. The pep talks that work: 1)remember how great you feel when you are done 2)you'll be really glad you ran 3)you'll burn off some of that thigh fat. The bargain - I told myself that instead of a 6 mile recovery run, I would run 4 miles.

Of course, I am glad I ran, and as usual after the first 1/2 mile the bodily crankiness dissolved. Recovery run day (a.k.a steady state) stats: 4.019, 38:27 minutes, per HRM 220k per TM 651k. I kept my heart rate bwtn 70-75% mhr. (143-149)

Now that I am finished making ds11 his breakfast, and I have refueled, I am going to do 4 day split LIS (the whole thing).

Morningstar, what pace are you running, what is your heart rate while doing the running portions of C5K? Are you enjoying it yet? As for lifting - just go lift. No expectations, no demands, just lift. How about a Meso2 style lift, maybe go middle of the road, 10 reps at 75% of your one rep max. You will be glad you did. As for losing your strength gains, that was my fear too, how long has it been? over a week???

May your Wednesday workday be benign, ease full and without tension or strife.

Alisha, your adzuki bean chili sounds good. What I meant to ask was, have you done STS? What weight lifting rotations do you follow on non rest weeks? I had my first sugar crash when I was about 9 or 10, but I fell off the toilet!!! I had a scary event with wine about 10 years ago, and now I am hyper vigilant about what I eat and when, and no more alcohol for me.

Hi to all runners! I would love to hear what everyone is doing. :)

Hello runners!

Todays workout was W5-D2! I ran two 8 minute intervals, with 5 minutes rest in between. This one really pushed me out of my mental comfort zone. I had gotten used to those 5 minute intervals. :) I got a little discouraged when halfway through my first 8 minute run the podcast guy said (all enthusiastically mind you) "you're halfway there!!", and I was thinking, what??? I thought at that point I HAD to be almost done!! ha ha I told myself "okay, only 4 more minutes!!" and I made it! During our 5 minute break I let my dog jump in the lake so she could cool off and get some water. I paced around while she was doing that and just as I re-leashed her, it was time for our next run. I also did "Firm it Up" from Slim Series. Holy killer 50 minute legs/butt workout!!! As if my legs weren't already sore, lol.

Janis, I have had those mornings and I hate that feeling! You're right though, once you start your workout, your body just seems to get into it! Although I remember one time where I was particularly irritable and finally decided on Cathe's High Step Challenge. As I was going up onto my high step, I smashed the glass light cover above my head with a weight into a million pieces! :eek: (In my crankiness I hadn't considered the low ceilings in our basement, lol) I vacuumed up the glass because of my pets and then went back to bed. :p If it weren't for the cats & dog, I would have left the glass there until I got back up, ha!

MStar, do you always use Cathe for your weight workouts? If you do, one suggestion I thought of would be to try another instructor and see if that helps you with your desire to lift. Otherwise I say just go with what you desire doing right now and go back to weights when you're ready. The body is pretty adaptable, I'm sure you won't loose too much in strength if you don't wait too long to lift again. How are things at work?

Alisha, I'm impressed that you can do anything with t.t.o.m! I used to be able to do lighter workouts, but these days it seems like I am really down and out that week!

Hellos to everyone! Like Janis, I hope more of you post again soon! :D

ROFLMAO!:D I just looked back -no wonder you don't remember saying that - it wasn't you that said it!!! duh.:eek: Sorry. ;)

It was Tricia - Tricia...."I used a Podrunner download. Must say it was weird"
I am curious - what made it weird? And while I am at it, what did you give your hubby for his bday?

Hi Janis! Too funny! I sometimes get a little lost if I don't check in often enough! :D

It was only weird using Podrunner because I had gotten so used to having the cues to tell me when to turn around and when I only had a minute left! That, plus I use CC on my interval run days and all that coaching is, well, helpful and comforting, encouraging and there's nothing but music on the Podrunner downloads. I'm starting to get used to it though now that I've used them for a few runs!

DH's Birthday - Dinner on Friday night at Legal Seafood in Boston (did I already post this?), Saturday was Harry Potter (finally!), Sunday we drove to Niantic, CT and my DH did a mini-triathlon. He was worried about the swim, but he made it and did a great job! No top ten finish, but he finished well! It was his first! I got him a Macbook Pro and the entire X-Files dvd set except for #4 as they didn't have that one, a new game for his X-Box and an iTunes gift card. He made out big time this year, but I always go a little overboard, or so I think until he shops for my birthday! He always outdoes me! I'm hoping for STS and STS Cardio this year! ;)

Workouts this week - I took tonight off. Today was a particularly busy and stressful day! I was exhausted and ready for a break! I ran on Monday and did my Vol 1 CC twice through last night, so I'm not too upset about missing today! I'll get back on track tomorrow! Just got a Nike sport + today and can't wait to try it out! I just hope the signals don't cross between my HRM and the Nike sensor! I guess I'll find out tomorrow! I also want to see if they register the same calorie burn.

See you girls tomorrow! Happy running!

Oops! Forgot to mention that last night while doing one of my 1 minute intervals, this young guy passed me, so I increased my pace trying to keep up and I couldn't do it! All I could think was did he have a warp drive or something? He didn't seem to be going THAT fast! I hate youngsters! :p

Last edited:
Hola!

So, yesterday afternoon at about 2:00pm, plantar faciitis kicked in in my left foot. How weird is that? No lead up, just BAM! there it was. So, in conjunction with being worried about blowing off my strength training, I have changed my rotation up a bit. Instead of running 5-6 days a week, I'm going to cut that back to 4 (3 C25K and 1 HIIT or a FunRun) and do my strength training in the mornings rather than the evenings. I am a morning person and I think right now I was asking too much of myself to do strength in the evening after a run in the morning and two long walks. So here's what it'll look like for a while (plus a lotta walking, of course):

Monday: C25K
Tuesday: strength (routine changes every week)
Wednesday: C25K
Thursday: strength
Friday: C25K
Saturday: HIIT, followed by strength a few hours later.
Sunday: rest

So today I did MIS. Total endurance workout and being as it has been a couple of weeks since I took weight training seriously, Cathe kicked my butt for me good.

Tricia, congrats on your DH's triumph! And maybe that youngster that passed you was thinking- damn! that lady's moving! I better go my absolute fastest so I don't look like an idiot!

Christine, it's encouraging that someone can get used to 5 minute intervals! I just finished week 3, so I see those 5 minutes looming in my horizon soon. I use mostly Cathe now for strength, although I plan to throw in some Jari again soon, just to change it up- her endless reps leave me bored, so I do down pyramids with my Jari workouts. I also like Donna Reed. Work is always a drama festival, which is difficult because we have a tiny staff. And what the heck is t.t.o.m.? (Never mind, just figured it out!:eek:)

Janis, most of the time I'm into the workout as soon as I begin. But every once in a while, I start it reluctantly, and then realize, nope, ain't happening today and I let it go. I figure if I'm really not into it, my body needs the break and I should listen or I'll get hurt. I'm not sure what pace I run at - I only have an HRM. I really think moving my strength training to mornings, although it is vastly more inconvenient, will get me back on track.

Alisha, you were cutting veggies for dinner when you were 6 years old? Wow! Thank you for taking the time to post the chili recipe. My recipe only takes an hour, though, so it may be a while before I give this one a go.

Okay, as Coach Sean says (all together now): my wish for you is that you live your life with the...

Your training schedule looks good! I'm going to try out the August rotation (my first attempt at one of Cathe's rotations) starting next week. I don't have all the dvds, but I think I have enough that I can make a go of it!

As to your confidence boost about being passed yesterday - Bwaaa, haaa, haaa! I wish! My DH said he'd go run with me so I can see if I can keep up with him. I told him only on one condition - that he doesn't yell at me when I can't! :p:eek: Who knows though? Maybe if I start pushing myself a little harder, I'll get my pace up.

Anyway, it's raining some here today. Everyone do the sun dance, so I can get out there this afternoon and try out my new toy during my run!

Hola!

So, yesterday afternoon at about 2:00pm, plantar faciitis kicked in in my left foot. How weird is that? No lead up, just BAM! there it was. So, in conjunction with being worried about blowing off my strength training, I have changed my rotation up a bit. Instead of running 5-6 days a week, I'm going to cut that back to 4 (3 C25K and 1 HIIT or a FunRun) and do my strength training in the mornings rather than the evenings. I am a morning person and I think right now I was asking too much of myself to do strength in the evening after a run in the morning and two long walks. So here's what it'll look like for a while (plus a lotta walking, of course):

Monday: C25K
Tuesday: strength (routine changes every week)
Wednesday: C25K
Thursday: strength
Friday: C25K
Saturday: HIIT, followed by strength a few hours later.
Sunday: rest

So today I did MIS. Total endurance workout and being as it has been a couple of weeks since I took weight training seriously, Cathe kicked my butt for me good.

Tricia, congrats on your DH's triumph! And maybe that youngster that passed you was thinking- damn! that lady's moving! I better go my absolute fastest so I don't look like an idiot!

Christine, it's encouraging that someone can get used to 5 minute intervals! I just finished week 3, so I see those 5 minutes looming in my horizon soon. I use mostly Cathe now for strength, although I plan to throw in some Jari again soon, just to change it up- her endless reps leave me bored, so I do down pyramids with my Jari workouts. I also like Donna Reed. Work is always a drama festival, which is difficult because we have a tiny staff. And what the heck is t.t.o.m.? (Never mind, just figured it out!:eek:)

Janis, most of the time I'm into the workout as soon as I begin. But every once in a while, I start it reluctantly, and then realize, nope, ain't happening today and I let it go. I figure if I'm really not into it, my body needs the break and I should listen or I'll get hurt. I'm not sure what pace I run at - I only have an HRM. I really think moving my strength training to mornings, although it is vastly more inconvenient, will get me back on track.

Alisha, you were cutting veggies for dinner when you were 6 years old? Wow! Thank you for taking the time to post the chili recipe. My recipe only takes an hour, though, so it may be a while before I give this one a go.

Okay, as Coach Sean says (all together now): my wish for you is that you live your life with the...

Good morning!

I always feel silly saying good morning when it is good afternoon for most of you! Well, it is a beautiful west coast morning here. No fires today, the air is clear and there is a lovely breeze.

I did not run today. (surprise surprise!) I had not read your post yet, Morningstar, but I was definitely on the same page, 'listen up or you might injure yourself'. Instead of running I just did 4day split HIS. It was fun, but I am still incredibly lost with the step foot work. I did enjoy the lifting, even though it felt kind of brief.

I was wondering if I should buy a beginner step w/o so I can learn the various moves and the 'names' of the moves. Will that help me to be better prepared and less klutzy? What do you guys think? In addition to 4day split, I have Drill Max, Kick Max, Body Max 2, Butts and Guts, and I have Shock Cardio pre-ordered. What do you more experienced steppers think? (I haven't opened drill max or bodymax2 yet!) Or should I play what I have over and over and gradually get the hang of it. Step isn't my most favorite way to exercise, but I can see the benefit of using it to cross train.

Tricia, your birthday outing with dh sounded great, you had written a little bit about it, but I may have missed something along the way. I am always curious what people gift their partners with, mine is so difficult to choose gifts for. Congrats to your dh on finishing his mini-tri! When I was in DC I noticed some runners would speed-burst by me, and later I would catch up to them. sort of like the tortoise and the hare! But - yeah - youngsters have all that youth juice to fuel them, but remember all the life lessons they have yet to learn! (lol)

Morningstar, way to rock it! aren't you glad you lifted! Sorry about the foot pain though. Your rotation looks good. :D When you are doing your c5k intervals where is your heart rate? are you steady state, are you anaerobic?
(could be you already posted this, and I am just too lazy to go look. :p)

Christine, your commiserating story was comforting and a good laugh too! There are times when I am so hungry, usually post lifting, where I am almost frantic and I have to tell myself - get or grip or someone's going to get hurt!
I have had way too many knife injuries, my left forefinger is much thinner than it should be! lol!

Alisha - how much weight are you looking to burn off? You have mentioned, a few times, that you have more than you would like on your 5'2" frame. And from your other posts it sounds like you do camera work for a living - ??

Okay - Sean O' "My wish for you is that you live your life with the energy of your full potential."

Oh, and Tricia, have you seen the sunshine makers video yet? I posted it a couple time on the OD. I just love it, even though it is ancient and the video quality is bad, it is still fun to watch and learn the words too. Search - Borden "Sunshine Makers" 1930's, or some combo of that on youtube.

cheers.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.