New Group -- Training for Sprint Triathlon!

Brighton

Cathlete
Hi everyone! I've decided that this is the year I get back to endurance sport. I did some sprint triathlons when I was a kid (14, 15 years old) and am looking forward to challenging myself that way again.

I'm looking for some like-minded friends so we can help motivate each other! I'm so excited to get going, and hope some of you will join in the fun! ;-) And, it doesn't just have to be just triathlon you're interested in racing to join in! Anyone, whether you're doing a 5K, marathon, whatever... Jump on in! I'm sure we could all use the encouragement & enthusiasm!

About me... I'm 30 yrs old, and have been a Cathe addict for the past year or so. I'm a stay-at-home mom of 2 little ones, and before that I was a competitive swim coach (club & high school). I swam competitively for ten years. I'm not super-fit by any means... I had some health complications with my last pregnancy that left me terribly out of shape and overweight. After a year of working out postpartum, I'm finally feeling fit & healthy-- though there are still a few more pounds I'd like to shed.

If you're on the fence, visit www.beginnertriathlete.com, they have some great training plans for even the greenest newbies! My race is scheduled for the beginning of June, so I'm planning on following a 20 week plan from the beginning triathlete website, augmented with Cathe workouts for crosstraining & weights. My race distances are an 800 meter swim, 12 mile bike, and 3.1 mile run. If all goes well, I might do a second tri in September.

So, if you're interested, climb aboard!!! :7 I'm looking forward to meeting you!

Hi Brighton- love this new thread!! i am planning on doing my first sprint tri this year also. haven't yet decided the date. i guess i should go and look at whats offered so i can set my schedule.

i also have two little ones (boys). i am a personal trainer and group ex. instructor and of course share your love for cathe!!

good luck with your training!

Hey there, SunnyD!

I'm so glad someone posted back! :)

You'll have to keep me posted on how things are going for you as well! Good luck getting things set!

How fun to have two boys. I have an (almost) 3 yr old boy-- so much energy, but so fun. My little girl is just 17 mos.

I hope you had a great weekend, I'm off to the gym for swimming & treadmill today.

All the best to you & hope to chat more soon!

Hello,

Ok, i am thinking my first will be in aug. that should give me time to train and practice my swimming. i just learned how to swim last year in preparation to do a tri!

my boys are 7 and 2.

have a fun workout day:)

I'm thinking of doing one this year as well... so I'd love to join! I would probably be doing one in July or August. I had started training last year and was injured so I couldn't do the sprint, but this year I plan to train smarter. =)

About me.. I'm also 30, I'm home with my four little ones. I love exercising and am trying to get back on board after having taken two months off after finishing my first marathon this fall (I have bad knees so I had to recoup after the race). Swimming is by far and away my weakest area for the tri so that will be my big challenge.

Welcome to the team, Moonspryte! Wow-- 4 kids, that's great! Congrats on completing the marathon last year, that is huge! That's big inspiration for me-- I have bad knees too, so it's always been my excuse. But maybe I don't have an excuse anymore. :D Can only imagine how great it would feel to get over that finish line. I know you can do a tri if you have the dedication for a marathon!

Sunny - WOW, can't believe you're learning to swim in anticipation for the tri... that is seriously big dedication. I guess I sort of take the swimming for granted because of my background. But from the triathletes I've talked to, it seems like for most people the swim is the weak link. For me it's the bike. Speaking of which, that's what's on the docket for today... Bike & PUB for me!

All the best to you both! I'm thinking I'll post on Mondays on a weekly basis, if that's alright with you. Hope to hear back from you, and stay positive! We can do this! :7

One last post...

Here is the link to some of those training plans I found. The sprint plans that I've been mish-moshing together for me are toward the bottom of the page. I liked them... it made the tri seem doable-- for me, at least. Plus they're free! The one I'm predominantly working with is entitled "Sprint - 3x balanced - 20 week". There's also a 2x balanced one (2 workouts a week for each event), and there's a real basic one if you're starting from scratch-- (which may help with the swim?) called "Michael Pates Total Sprint - 22 week."

Also, if anyone else out there is looking for a 5K training plan, they have programs for that there too.

Hope this helps!!! Here's the link:
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/trainingplans-list.asp?h=1

All the best!

:D :D :D

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.