May 09 Check in Friday 15th

Kathy36

Cathlete
Hi ladies....

Getting us started this Friday morning!

Again today I am doing cardio and haven't picked a workout yet...I was thinking of doing maybe Amy Bento's Hi/lo or something like that..But, who knows I may end up with a Cathe step workout...

Today Lauren has her monthly book club meeting. So, that is what is on my afternoon schedule. ok, now it is time to get the kids up to start their days with breakfast and then school lessons!!

Be back later..

Good morning friends! Happy Friday, and OSIF! Kathy, hope you enjoyed whatever workout you did. Very cool that Lauren is in a book club -- is it other homeschoolers? At one point yesterday after school, both my boys were sitting separately, totally engrossed in books -- I loved it!!! Complete silence, no fighting, no screens involved. What could be better?! :D

Joanne, I'm not sure I was ready for plyo legs this morning!!! :p Dylan woke me up around 3am, and I never did go back to sleep, but I stayed in bed til my normal get up time. I had to pause three or four times!! First, I don't know what possessed me to do this, but I put on a different pair of shoes this morning, so into about the third or 4th thing, I realized I needed to put on my current favorites -- the ones I had on were just too tight. So I went back to the bedroom, hrm beeping (and me hoping it wouldn't wake anyone), and switched shoes. Then later somehow the video and audio got out of sync, so I paused it thinking that might get it back together, and so while it was paused I figured I should refresh my drink. ;) It didn't help the out of sync problem -- I hope that was a one time thing because it was awfully annoying. It doesn't seem something that small would be such a big deal, but it was like watching a dubbed movie or something. Mostly I just didn't look at the screen. Anyway, what a long way of saying I'm not sure I enjoyed my workout experience today. :confused:

I have a question for you guys..... I'm supposed to do cardio tomorrow and CST on Sunday, but I'm thinking about switching it around because we may have overnight guests Saturday night and I think it would be more awkward to do weights than to go for a run if I have to workout while they're here Sunday morning (and, it's far more likely I would go for a run later in the day than do weights, though it is supposed to be hot this weekend). What do you think? My chest is definitely still sore this morning! For whatever that is worth....

Hope you all have a great day. I'm headed to the ballet with the first graders this morning. Larry joked that he would come along with some coworkers and make really inappropriate noises as any 7 year old boy might.

-Beth

Hi ladies!

Kathy, I have your DVD sealed and ready to go - I'm dropping it off at the post office during my lunch. A book club for kids does sound fun! What book are they reading? I vote for Amy's hi/lo! ;)

Beth, I wasn't feeling Plyo Legs this morning either. I was just tired - thought about quitting a few times, but made it to the end. I have to say - I owe it to you guys for me sticking to my workouts. I didn't want to have to come on here and say I gave up! I love the support here! How many calories did you burn doing it? That's weird about the video and audio being out of sync. That would be annoying! I think it's fine to do shoulder, biceps and triceps tomorrow. You did them last on Sunday, right? Have fun at the ballet!!

Another busy weekend for us. DH's birthday is tomorrow - I have no idea what we're doing! He said he just wants the whole family to go out for breakfast, so we'll probably do that. Although Jameson and Ian both have orthodontists appts. in the morning. Oh well, he can sleep in till we get home. We have soccer games tonight, Saturday and Sunday. At least CCD is over!! My house is a disaster - I need a couple solid days to declutter and clean.

BBL...have a great day!

Joanne

Joanne, hrm said I burned 480 calories!!! My average hr was actually higher this week than last, which amazed me, because I don't remember pausing it last week. Those plyo legs are tough -- I'm not sure I'll ever be able to say I *like* them, you know? Thanks for the advice on the arms work -- wasn't sure how much shoulders/triceps came into play the other day, but you're right, it's probably fine. I think I'll do that.

Yes, I love this checkin group -- I really think about you guys throughout my workouts, even if we're doing different things. Thought about Hottie this morning when my feet were hurting!!

Ok, I need to get a little work done before I head to the ballet, but wanted to pop in again....

-Beth

Hey Girls...

still here, dealing with the old frig/new frig/coolers and food everywhere. :eek: Plus DH is sick, and he's being dramatic about it. So I made him an appt at the doctors this afternoon! :p Actually, that is the problem. I don't know if he just has a cold and is being a "man" about it, or if he really is sicker, maybe with the flu. So off he goes this afternoon, screaming and kicking (he hates the doctor). But I did EVERYTHING yesterday, while he laid on the couch, which is fine, but I'm pooped!

I ended up so stressed, I caved after the boys went to bed, and ate Fluff out of the jar while watching the season finale of Grey's Anatomy!! *sigh*

Today, it's weird, but my arms are a little sore from the (3 lb!) weighted Pilates I did yesterday! I feel a little guilty, because it's supposed to be "no weights" this week. But I thought 3 lbs was so innocent! :confused:

Today I did Turbo Jam's Kick Punch and Jam (fun and sweaty!!) and then jumped into Mindy Mylrea's Interval Express step. I tried this one before, and got confused. So I wanted to just watch/do and not be concerned about getting cardio in. Well, I did get my HR up there. Though I was still confused on some of the stepping. Which is fine. Mindy is so funny! She kept making me crack up with her little comments. I had to stop after the first 2 combos...I was tired! (did 80 minutes total).

Kathy
: You've gotten some good cardio in yest and today! have fun at the bookclub... I want to know too, which book are they reading?

Beth: We did save most of the foods. The meats never defrosted. The stuff I threw out was stuff that has been in there forever anyways. LOL! just a major PIA!! Funny, I didn't like Yoga Abs so much either. And I thought i would! I liked Pilates Abs WAY better. .. Oh you definitely need to do Plyo Legs on a good night's sleep. the first time I did them, I had a crappy sleep the night before, and it just killed me to do it. The second time (the one you did today) was SO much better, because I had slept. it was even FUN! Sorry you had such a bad experience overall today with it! cuz I know you'd like it if all that didn't happen. .... I think it would be fine to switch up CST and cardio this weekend. .. ballet, wow! Hope you're having fun! And yes, your DH sounds so much like mine! :eek:

Hottie: Good to hear you're finding that horse again! It's hard to move and get organized and then be away from the 'horse' for so long! I know you'll do it though!! Once you get your feet wet... I'm sure there could have been something we could have done to try to fix the refrig. BUT..it's almost 15 yrs old, so didn't seem worth the trouble. I can't believe you do ALL the big purchases by yourself!! I'm impressed!!.... Hmmmm...I didn't think Ellen Barrett had a weird voice at all. That Burn and Firm Pilates is cardio and pilates together, it's pretty cool and I don't do it often enough. With all the rotations we do, it seems like I never can fit a Pilates in. I wish I could more often!

Joanne
: You're sounding VERY busy lately!! Again, I understand the wanting to quit during Plyo Legs when you're tired! Good for YOU for persevering! You know WE ARE ALWAYS watching!!! :eek: May IS the month for birthdays too! Is there going to be cake involved tomorrow??? Hmmmm???/

Vilma: Your birthday day sounded WONDERFUL! Good for you! I got my hair cut yesterday. I hadn't cut it since AUG 08!! I also got it highlighted, and I LOVE it too! You don't know what a nice cut does for you until you get it done. The one thing about long hair that I loved, was getting to put it up when i was hot. So I asked it be long enough to do that, which it is!

Okay, I better get my self moving. Still have to put a cooler away, and go grocery shopping AND pick something up for my mom for mother's day! (i know, I'm late, but it never worked out to see her this week!! ACK!)

HI ladies..

Checking back with Amy's Hi/Lo Extreme done...I was able to keep up and follow Amy most of the time..YEAH!!!

Beth: I agree..I think you would be fine to do CST on Saturday.. Yes, it is a homeschool group that she joined through the church. She really loves it. All 5 of them are around 12 and 13 years old..I love it when mine are not behind screens!! Enjoy the ballet!

Joanne: Thank you so much for lending me that DVD. I will let you know when I get it..The book club is reading Alice in Wonderland this month. Each month the girl that hosts it picks the book and the activities they do during the meeting..Lauren just has the best time with it. Busy weekend. We still have 1 more CCD on Wednesday. Ugh! I wish we were done too! Happy Birthday to your DH. Boy, there have been alot of birthday's lately...

Ok, gotta hit the shower and then grab some lunch!!

Hi Chris: I missed your checkin while I was typing..Shame shame using those weights yesterday. The soreness is punishment..LOL!! Hope your DH is better soon...Cool deal on the new frig!!! Oh Alice in Wonderland is the book..

Chris, that's good that you didn't lose your frozen food. I know - it's a PIA to switch everything around. It's good to get rid of stuff that you no longer recognize in there, though! ;) Oh yea, I have a dramatic DH when sick, too (when not sick at times, too ;)) so I feel your pain! I get so annoyed if he gets sick first and then I catch it. Of course, he is totally immobile when sick, but when I am, it's business as usual! Hope your DH is OK and the rest of you don't catch it. Great workout(s) today! I have to revisit my Mindy workouts when STS is over - they are fun. Pretty intense, too. I have that Ellen Barrett one, but don't know if I've ever done it! Yes, I do seem to have a fitness-buying addiction! I tell DH there are much worse things I could be addicted to. ;) I haven't seen Grey's Anatomy yet (it's DVR'ed), but people around her keep talking about it and I keep saying I haven't seen it yet - don't ruin it!! Oh yes, there will be cake tomorrow! Just have to figure out if I want to buy or make one.

OK ladies - let's see pictures of all these new haircuts!!

Kathy, great job on Amy's hi/lo!

Beth, that's a great calorie burn!! I'm hoping I burned about that much - makes it seem worth it!

My mom got a kitten yesterday. Just the cutest little thing. Here's the dilemma - I'm really allergic to cats and we think Jameson and Ian are also. My parents used to have one and it was pretty unbearable for us to be over there for more than an hour or so. We'd have to give the kids benadryl, so they'd basically be asleep for most of the visit. I'd be miserable, wheezing and my eyes all funky. My mom always said she wouldn't get another cat because of us. Well, the girl who takes care of my dad showed up yesterday morning with a kitten in her arms and said she thought my mom would like to keep it. She found it crying outside the night before in the storm. My mom decided to keep it. What is she thinking?? I feel bad cause she's had such a tough year and has a lot on her plate taking care of my dad. But, what the heck happens if something happens to my mom (even just being away for a day or two) and we need to stay over there with my dad? I'll be miserable. My dad doesn't want to keep it cause he thinks it's just something else for my mom to take care of. They do have all hardwood floors now, so maybe it won't be too bad as long as I don't go near the cat. It can't be more than 6-8 weeks old - it's so tiny. I took Colin over there last night to see it. He loved it. Anyway, no advice needed ;) - just venting as usual!!

OK, I must do some work!

Joanne

Kathy: LOL at you wagging your finger at me! (shame shame!)... You were wagging it, weren't you?? Cool book for the club. A few summers ago, Zach was in one that did "The Secret Garden" and they did stuff at the park, it was really cool!

Joanne: I can get into pretty good streaks at buying workouts too! LOL! You'll have to tell me what you think of Grey's when you see it!!! .... On the kitten. My SIL is pretty allergic to cats too. When she comes over for holidays, I put both cats locked up in our bedroom and put all their cat 'toys' away too. She 's not had any big allergic reactions that way. I have NO idea what you could do if you had to stay there though. Dose up on Claritin maybe? (the nondrowsy stuff). Alex (my 9 yr old) takes it for his allergies (seasonal).

oh geesh, Just got a call from my mom, who just saw my hubby (she lives near the doctor). SHE told me he was diagnosed with pneumonia!!! Guess I can baby him a LITTLE then! :eek::eek::eek:

Oh per request, here's My Haircut (since i'd much rather be playing around with pictures and posting than working on supper today! :eek:)

DSCN0124-1.jpg

Hey guys! Today was pretty good so far! I dropped Joe off at the train station and then lounged at home for an hour before doing house chores and then doing LIC (-abs, I'll do an ab workout in the evening). I actually had time to do my hair and face and its so funny how making yourself look good makes you feel good on the inside. I'm sure it helped that its been two days of workout out too. Last night I did Ellen Barret's Pick Your Level Weight loss. So, Chris -- here's the thing about her voice. I think its very good at giving instruction but the first time I heard her it was during a yoga like workout and I just couldn't get over how not quiet/soothing/meditative like most yoga workouts are so it always jars me a little. I think it cuts through pretty well though because I find myself paying attention to her almost fully. Anyway, the workout was fine. There are three levels for most moves and I definitely changed my levels around for all the of different moves. There was *something* about it that kept on making me think of PBS. I don't know if it was the music but I'll figure it out eventually because it's driving me crazy. I'll put something from netflix on later tonight for my ab workout.

Kathy -- sounds like you had a lot of fun with Amy's Hi Lo! My mother read to me Alice in Wonderland pretty young...Lewis Carroll was a mathematician (and so is my mom) so she couldn't wait to read stuff from him to us. I had like all of the Jabberwocky memorized when I was younger. Now, none of it. :)

Beth -- did you figure out what workout you're going to do? How nice re: ballet. My sister once showed me footage of her oldest girl doing ballet and we're such terrible people that we just kept on being that sarcastic little beyotches that we are and my mother came in as we were being terrible, called us out on it, and then asked us if we could have done any better to which we then spent the next 10 minutes talking about how little coordination we had, one upping each other the whole time...we're a weird family...

Joanne -- I hope you have fun with your DH tomorrow! That sucks about the cat! You know, I was pretty paranoid about the dog and Joe when we were dating...I knew I wanted to have a dog in my home and so I tried to stay away from boys who had allergies (ha! try that at geek university!) but I literally would test them in these dog environments to make sure they could handle a dog. Though Joe says that he would take a shot everyday if it meant who could have a dog so with determination like that, how can you not love him!? Anyway, have you guys thought of an air purifier for you guys around the cat? That's supposed to help...

Chris -- oh, you're totally the hottie over me. :) I like the haircut a lot! I find Mindy Mylrea to be hilarious though I actually haven't *done* her workout...just previed them. I was trying to find an instructor that Joe could maybe have a simliar cathe addiction that I did so I got some Mindy stuff off of Netflix. He likes Mindy but he told me he *prefers* Cathe more than anyone else. Actually, it was really cute last night -- I was trying to motivate him to workout again and I had two Kelly Coffee Meyer Step Boxing DVDs from Netflix because he really likes kickboxing (and I was curious) so I offered him to try that. He literally pouted and said, "But...I want to do Cathe tonight..." Ok, silly -- go do your GS workout and lift like a girl!

Wow the campus gets empty when all the people leave after graduation...just the way i like it... :)

Wow, they've had graduation already?! Seems so early.

Ok, yes, I think I will go ahead and do shoulders/bi/tri tomorrow (I think this morning I automatically typed it as CST and you are all so kind not to call me on it). That way if they spend the night I just don't have to sweat it..... well, I'll sweat it later when I run! har, har......

I remember reading Alice on a sailboat trip as an adult. Fun to re-read things like that as an adult. I love the book club for kids idea, but my kids read such strange books compared with their friends, so it seems. I should talk to some moms about that idea for the summer -- it'd be a good excuse to get together.

Chris, your hair looks great! You look great! Thanks for posting the picture!

Joanne, that cat dilemma is tough! Larry is allergic, but not the point of being miserable, so he's owned cats/we've owned cats. Hottie, what happened with the dog?!

The ballet was good, I guess. The first part I was bored out of my mind, thinking that ballet must not be my thing. Then at the first break, there was an adult sitting next to me who happened to be the lead ballerina's mother, and she explained the story to me and it was great after that (two more parts -- those first graders did surprisingly well! I was really proud of them). Turns out there were a couple of kids from our school in it, too, so that made it fun. But, it was a big time sink for the day!!

We are having another round of company this weekend and next -- I will be glad when it's just us again. I like having friends come, but at some point it's nice to just be alone again, you know?

Have a great weekend! (I'll be here tomorrow!)

-Beth

Beth -- we're hoping to get the dog next week. The woman is being a bit flaky (it's essentially a dog of divorce) but we're hoping to get her next week since Joe and I are going to take a long weekend and the dog will have a bit of time to get used to us before we go away to work. USC (unlike Caltech and UCLA) are on the semester system so yeah, its this early (hence Obama speaking at ASU and soon to be ND). I think ballet is really dependent on the play. I REALLY wanted to see Swan Lake (I read about it when I was seven and have wanted to see it ever since) but the price of the tickets blew my mind when they came to Dorothy Chandler here in LA. But I totally understand about taking a weekend for yourself. I'm a bit of a homebody to begin with and just not one of those people who has something new and exciting to do every weekend. I think my favorite guests are the ones where I can walk around in my robe so I don't have to stress too much. man, I'm lazy...(I say that after cleaning my bedroom)...

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.