Lurker Invitations April Check-In

janiejoey

Cathlete
Good Evening,

Happy April everyone.

Adrian is still in the hospital and still stable, still getting tests done to his poor little body. We should know more tomorrow or Thursday about the results.

I'm sorry for not posting lately, it's really been hard waiting around. That's the worst part of all this.

I haven't been working out or eating right, so that doesn't help the situation much either.

Tomorrow I plan on doing a cardio and taking charge of eating. Most likely will do cardio everyday until Adrian is at home doing well. Joey and I are planning to start Meso 2 all over again once things calm down.

I've been reading your posts and it seems most of you are doing fine.

It's really late tonight and will post lots more personals tomorrow.

Ironlady, So glad to see you back on the check-in. We missed you. I'll say a rosary for your father and daughter and my little Adrian in hopes that they get better or continue their lives the best they know how with hope.

Ellep, Congratulations on losing 5 pounds. Good to see you again, we've missed you too.

I'm making all kinds of mistakes in my typing, I think I need to get some sleep. Will talk more tomorrow and catch up with you all. I've really missed everyone, and the kind words are awesome. See yas.

Janie
4760884_bodyshot_175x233.gif

Last edited:
Janie--Thanks for kicking off April. I got distracted last night making sure all my malware, spyware, etc was up-to-date on my home computer given this new internet worm that is supposed to go wild today.

I figured you must be spending alot of time at the hospital waiting on tests and doctors when we had not heard from you for a few days. I continue to think of you and your family often throughout the day and keep you all in my prayers.

I'm working at home today, so I will do my workout later this morning. I'm thinking Low Max today.
~michelle

OK now I am having post purchasing guilt! I went off the deep end with that 20%! Cathe is a very good business woman! I bought
Low Impact Circuit
Drill Max
Body Max
Kick Max
Low Max
Imax3
Cardio Fusion
Body Blast series
Intensity Series

and saved close to $100!

Michelle I didn't buy STS right now even though I really want it, it made 'cents' to buy the DVD's that I could take advantage of the 20% off coupon. But I really want it and if I wasn't feeling so terribly guilty right now for the above purchases I might go ahead bite the bullet. That and the concern for all the other gadgets it seems to require!

All of you guys made me laugh when I read your posts concerning purchasing fitness stuff and especially the concern over the DH! Mine is going to be seriously upset when the UPS man comes with another Cathe box! It will probably come while I am out of town so he will definitely see it!

Janie: hope little Adrian is doing well. It is so hard when they are in the hospital. How is your daughter-in-law doing? It is so nice you can be there for them. Happy Birthday?

I am not sure what my workout is going to be today...I slipped in the grocery store and really banged up my knee. It hurts pretty bad so I will probably take it easy today. Me and the girls are taking a snow day and staying at home.

Just got done cleaning up after my work out. Did Low Max today. I had some major leg and glute doms going today from my Power Hour workout yesterday. I think Low Max might have actually helped. I'm seeing some benefit on that last blast from my occasional flirtation with Cathe's Kick Box workouts.

Laura: Looks like you traded off between purchasing STS or filling out your collection on Cathe's other dvds. Can't blame you--all good choices and you win either way. Hope you didn't do too much damage to your knees. Grocery stores can be dangerous places. MY DH does the grocery shopping. Couldn't tell you the last time I was in a grocery store.

So, I spoke with my sister last night about thinking about buying STS. We practically started working out with Cathe together and she would be majorly miffed with me if I pushed on to STS without her. So, the plan is to be content with my current collection and wait until Christmas for STS--then sister and I will start that together next year. I have to be true to my sister. In the meantime, I will go ahead and get the slanted risers with my 20percent discount. I also need a set of 20 pound dumb bells. If I can fit it in, I'll get those during lunch tomorrow or Friday. Plus I've got Muscle Max and Gym Style Legs on their way. And Shock Cardio is preordered and just a few months away. And I still have to get the Iron Gym so I can start working on those pull-ups and chin-ups.

Thanks Shadowpup, you brought me back to my senses. The addiction goes on.
~michelle

Hi all, working at home today ...

Janie, Happy Birthday! Thanks for continuing to keep us posted on baby Adrian. It will be a wonderful birthday-week present to have him come home, won't it?

Ironlady, nice to have you back. Will keep your family in my thoughts and prayers also ...

Michelle, I had to dig very deep to find a way to give advice that went beyond BuyBuyBuyBuyBuyBuyBuy STS! I love the program; it's definitely caused me to raise my fitness, and the "fitness" of my exercise room, to new levels. It really is the case that most of us seem to be getting so much stronger that our existing equipment isn't enough. It's a real benefit of the program - and makes it expensive too. I didn't own a dumbbell over 25 pounds when I started. I was extremely proud of myself in the late fall when I could sometimes use both for squats, though it killed my forearms. Last night for Legs, I had to dial in a pair of *40* pounders for deadlifts plus use my weighted gloves, and for squats, I needed to half fill my 40 pound vest and then hold a pair of 35s, and gloves on top of that too. That's just Meso 1, our endurance cycle. I am excited and admittedly very nervous about what Mesos 2 and 3 will bring. If I'd known last year during the preorder what I know now, I'd've been buying this stuff all summer long, getting it half price or catching sales. So you're doing the sensible thing.

Elle! Great to have you back with us! I missed the five pounds in your post on the old thread; that's great :)

Laura, knees always hurt so much; it's one of my least favorite parts to bump. You cannot keep them still. With all the classes you teach, I hope you can find a way to rest up somehow.

Have to share, we had the carpets cleaned yesterday, and a crew of young men, looked like college freshmen, came in to do it. My husband was monitoring that, while I was working in my office. I heard them exclaiming as they came up the basement about my SelectTech dumbbells (a pair that goes to 90 pounds! still intimidated but love them!), and the barbell in there, and the xvest 40 pound weight vest. There's also a universal gym, which I bought and regularly until going to free weights - we keep it only because my husband says he wants to use it some day. Then, they found my iron gym pullup bar upstairs in one of the rooms... and a few extra plates for the barbell that I haven't gotten around to moving downstairs ... You should have heard the comments - "man, wish I thought my girlfriend would let me spread my gym all over the house like this - I'd marry her! this is really cool!".

Before they left, one of them said something about all that metal in the house, which I couldn't quite hear. I think it was about the SelectTech pair. But I did hear my husband say quite clearly "They belong to my wife - she bought them for herself on Valentine's Day" (in a proud tone; he really is very supportive).

There was a deep silence after that, and then they left. I think their personal world view had just taken a significant whack :)

Hi to everyone else - especially Shoegal, was just writing to you when I noticed the clock - I had better catch some lunch now, before the phone starts ringing again.

Last edited:
Shadowpup: I don't know if you can hear me laughing from Virginia, but your story really cracked me up. High FIVE! Very sweet!

Deep down my DH is supportive; he just likes to grumble every once in a while. Speaking of grumbling, my muscle max and GS legs dvds just arrived in the mail. Most of the time, he thinks its great that I have stuck with my workouts since the day we met 25 years ago. He really enjoys the benefits when we are at the pool: I'm 47 years old and still able to pull off wearing Venus swimwear. He just thinks I've gone off the deep end lately.

Our shared passion is boating. The boat just got put back in the water today, so we will be transitioning to our boat season schedule starting this weekend. I have to figure out how to adjust my exercise routines. Our salon is big enough that I can do B&G on the boat with only some slight modifications. I might have to buy some more dumb bells to keep on the boat because I'm not dragging those things back and forth. I'm also going to transition my rest day to Saturday or Sunday.

Elle and Ironlady: Welcome back!
~michelle

Check in April 1

I did Muscle Max last night - and I increased my weights by a little bit. Instead of rounding up all the time with the plates on the barbell - I put on the 1 1/4lb plates and increased it by 2 1/2lbs - my GOODNESS what a difference a couple of pounds made. I was on the line ready to quit every rep but pushed through. I'm sure that probably did some good. So far - push ups have gotten not one bit easier. Tried to do more on my toes in this workout and then bailed - did the rest on my knees and still really felt it.

Laura - WOW - tremendous purchase - it is like Christmas. I want a truckload of new Cathe workouts coming to my house too. You've made me all jealous - I feel like I need to reevaluate another purchase.

Speaking of which - I broke down and ordered the Wedding video and they told me it was out of stock - I was glad at first because- I was kind of regretting the purchase when I read that it was in the style of Mega Step Blast - and I didn't want to do anything remotely like again. But then I got this pang of regret - like HEY I wanted that - I need something else now. Yes - the addiction continues.

Janie - Happy Birthday - I hope you are doing well and it is good thing that your grandson is in good hands right now. Take good care of yourself & little Adrian.

I'm so grateful.

Good Evening,

Just got back from a very wonderful dinner and shopped at my most favorite stores all day. Had a ball! Celebrating my 58th birthday wasn't so bad. Thank you all for wishing me a happy birthday. I had the most beautiful day.

Adrian's test that we were most concerned about was negative, YEAH! There are still others to get through but less serious. He'll be home from the hospital tomorrow sometime. Oh Happy Day! He pooping, peeing and eating like he's suppose to. Thank God.

Michelle, Thank you so much for your much needed support. Isn't it wonderful when you see benefits from working out? A Christmas STS gift will be great. Something to look forward to. I have a hubby that grumbles a lot yet very supportive too. It is also a benefit for him as well.

Laura, Oh My! congratulations on all the wonderful purchases from Cathe. You will love every one of them. Variety is the spice of life.

Shadowpup, Love the comments from the carpet cleaners LOL! Very proud of you! You won't be dissapointed in the Wedding Video. I don't see that it's a lot like Mega Step Blast at all. It's a classic (old style clothes) and one of my personal favorites.

Have a great evening everyone, do take care.

Janie

Well last night I woke up at 3 am with a muscle spasm in my right calf. Got up, went to the bathroom, and got back into bed with every lower body muscle talking to me. Message: stretch please. So that's what I did this morning: first two routines from stretch max. It felt so good.

Janie: It's good to have our upbeat Janie back on the thread. Thank the good Lord that Adrian is coming home and doing all those things that babies are supposed to do. And good for you, treating yourself to a day of shopping, food, and light-hearted pleasures.

I'm going to warn you all that now that we are officially back into boating season, you are going to have to put up with a little bit more talk from me about boating stuff. I posted some pictures on my Cathe space of Silver Lining if anyone wants to take a peek.

Hope everyone has a great day.
~michelle

Check in April 2nd

I think I was in the mist of posting my own message at the same time Shadowpup and Michelle were posting theirs - so I didn't see them before.

Shadow: So I love the story about the carpet cleaners. What makes that story even better is that you actually use all that stuff. It isn't some abandoned old stair stepper that I've seen in other people's houses but the new high tech advanced equipment only serious exercisers would want. I love that your husband is proud. And - it is really cool. :cool:

Michelle: My DH had his Captain's license and had owned several boats. It was all before me so we have spent very little time together on the water. He did take me sailing a couple of times on rented boats. He is drawn to all that stuff like bees to honey. I can see why you both love it. We go kayaking alot in the summer and some canoeing & we take the pups. So now it is much smaller boats for him - but he is still just as passonate about it. What really impresses me is that you exercise on that boat!!! By the way - what is its name?

Janie - Hope little Adrian is back home and in your arms - so glad to hear he is doing everything just as he should. That is wonderful news. Enjoy him.

Ironlady & Elle - glad you came back to check in - love to hear more from you both.

Laura - hope that knee has healed!!

Opps, almost forgot about my workout - actually went back to Circuit Max because of the talk about it on here and did All Step. Liked the step routine but I'm not so crazy about the fact that it is less than an hour and that they are splits. Not so into the splits - so I don't feel like this workout can stand alone. I feel as if now I have to do the rest of them to balance myself out.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day. :)

Good Morning Everyone,

Shoegal, I love "All Step". To me the workout is hard enough (for me) that it doesn't need to be an hour long. But then I'm still not there where I want to be yet. It will take some time still, but I'll get there. You are an inspiration to me.

Michelle, Sorry about the muscle spasms in the middle of sleeping. That must have been very annoying. Stretches like you did and even Yoga helps with that. Can't wait to hear about your boating experiences. We also have a small boat and just might take it out from your talk about boat stories. We love to fish in ours.

Hi to everyone who follows. Will check in later to see how everyone is doing.

Janie

Hi Everyone Nice to read all the posts and see what is going on for everyone.

Shadowpup: ditto on loving the carpet guy story! I hope you did shake up there perceptions about woman and fitness. I have to take a second to vent about what people think 'girls' are capable of physically. For example at the rec. center where I teach they have a ton of weights for the fitness classes that are 3-5 lbs. then they have progressively less sets of weights as they get higher in weight, they only have 3 sets of 12 lbs. Which is sooooo ridiculous! Like woman should only lift under 8 lbs! Ha!:mad::mad::mad:

Michelle: I think STS for X-mas is a great idea! Maybe I will join you and you sister in the New Year with an STS rotation. In the meantime I will get stronger with all my new Cathe videos which are on the way..:D:D

Shoegal: I know how you feel about wanting something new I have been waiting for over a year for new DVD's. From the workouts you do it seems like you already have a lot of Cathes DVDs, but it always so exciting to get something new.

Janie: I am so glad to hear that Adrian continues to grow stronger! And I am glad that you went out shopping for your birthday, how fun is that??

So my knee was so sore yesterday and I took the whole day off! Today it felt better so I ran 3 miles on the treadmill (still cold and snow in Boulder) and did a version of GS Back, Shoulders, Biceps at the Boulder Recreation Center. It was wierd for me to work out at a public gym, I haven't really done that in awhile, well not a busy one like that one today!

Than I got my haircut with partial highlights. It looks really cute, I just hope I can make it look like this again! Isn't the truth that we can never make it look as good as the stylists do??

Oh I forgot to mention that while I was running on the treadmill there was a infomercial about that P90X that I keep seeing pop up on the threads. It looked really awesome! Does anyone have it or has anyone tried it? Not that I need a new series but it did look really good. Though it might be a good thing to alternate with the STS.....

OH GOD HERE I GO ALREADY WANTING SOMETHING ELSE!!:eek::eek::eek:

Thanks, everyone; I am still chuckling myself about the carpet guys! It was pretty funny. Cathe and sites like this are terrific, though. Five years ago, I would have had no idea that (a) I'd love strength training, or (b) I could actually get to the point where I'd want, and use, all of this equipment. I was the gangly uncoordinated inflexible one in my gym class; I could run fast but that was it ...

Well, Laura, about p90x :eek: I have to admit :eek: I bought it last month :eek:

I'd been keeping an eye on the dvd set, thinking it might be fun some day, and then when I found a used copy on Ebay for about $50 delivered I gave in to temptation :eek:

So far, I've only used kenpo X a few times (which I did enjoy), and bootcamp X (which I'm on the fence about this one). I have not done any of the strength training.

I liked kenpo X; Tony doesn't do all the exercises, but he does go around giving form pointers with the rest of his team. It is quite different from Ilaria or Cathe. His style is not quite as 'repeatable' as Cathe; I have a feeling I'd get tired of some of his remarks if I did it every day for 90 days in a row. STS has spoiled me entirely in terms of quality! Still, he had good pointers on form, and I made a breakthrough on how to combine my hip movement with the punches, entirely because of the way he handled the warmup for KenpoX. It felt much easier than 4DS kickbox, though longer, and yet I burned more calories. Maybe I'm just used to 4DS.

Michelle, if you and your sister and Laura start a New Years rotation for STS, count me in too! We'll have ShockCardio by then, too, which should really kick us into high gear.

Shoegal, I'd love to hear about the boats. I'm amazed by the bravery of going out on the water. It has been a long time - my ex sailed, he did a little pinch-hit work as a grinder on the practice boats out of San Francisco, for the America's Cup, must have been late 80s. It was amazing to watch. We'd sometimes sail out on the bay. Myself, I was a good weight distribution engineer (ie, I could be counted on to move from one side to the other).

Laura, love the sound of the new highlights! Sounds like you had a great day.

Janie, you sound so upbeat! So great to have you back. It's been a tough time, but you're a tough lady. And please keep us posted on Adrian and family :)

Last edited:
Good Morning Everyone,

I have in my arms little Adrian. Can't belive I can type and hold a baby at the same time. lol:rolleyes: It's fun and doing OK. Adrian is doing just fine at the moment/so far. Infants are so unpredictable. He's still pooing, not as much as we'd like, but he is doing it. Eating real good and peeing to. Mom, on the other hand might be losing her milk, due I'm sure to the stress, not eating enough and not enough rest. Her milk comes in a lot less now. Today she pumped and gave Adrian formula.

Shadowpup, You've come along way with your health and excericises. That is quite a journey. For me, it was stop and go most of the way, but the last few years, had a routine/rotation to follow. Seeing results and if life doesn't get in the way, steady. Love it.

Laura, P90X is a routine that is fabulous. Different from Cathe and is a great idea to to STS one time then another time do P90X. Talk about great workouts, you just can't get better than that. Have to also add in Cardio Coach. He's also just amazing with cardio. So glad your knee is feeling better. And your hair sounds so lovely.

Talk again later, I need to burb Adrian.

Janie

Janie--welcome home to baby Adrian. I bet his mom is totally exhausted. Hope she is getting some rest. Hope she realizes why grandparents are called Lifesavers. Never to early to get those kids used to typing at a keyboard and using a mouse. In a few short years, he'll be better than all of us on the computer. Just think how different his early life is going to be compared to ours? Pretty dang nifty.

Shoegal: The name of our boat is Silver Lining. The dinghy is the Hi-Ho Silver which is appropriate since it has a jet drive and will go like 60 mph. We bought her (with the dink) a little over 4 years ago. We ran her from Long Island Sound down to the Chesapeake Bay. It was a really fantastic trip. Made it in the first week of October and every day that we ran, the water was like glass.

Shadowpup: I've been looking at P90X but I have so many Cathes yet to conquer. There are some great deals on ebay though.

Laura: you are very suggestable, but remember you've got all those new Cathe dvds coming. I'm previewing my new Muscle Max and GS Legs dvds this weekend and figuring out what workouts I want to do next week. That's the extent of my big weekend plans. Otherwise, we are just setting up home on the boat and enjoying the beginning of the boating season.

This morning I did body fusion and stability ball abs. I was tempted to do Power Max but decided to stay a little more low key. I'm thinking of heading out to Dick's Sporting Goods shortly to get a pair of 20 pound dumb bells.
~michelle

HELLO ALL YOU FABULOUS LADIES!!

Janie, so glad that Adrian is home! Glad you are there for your family now and your birthday sounded wonderful and happy!!!

Laura and shadowpup my DD ordered P90X while she was home and I had to ship it to her since they don't do APO addresses....told her I almost kept it LOL!! She hasn't reported on it yet. But, one of the ladies I work with is ding the rotation and has lost 3 lbs!

I started 4DS going to do Kick Box or Boot Camp in the am.... just too tired tonight....nosleep at all last night then work all day! My back was slightly sore from wo Wed night.... that felt good!!! I have had to change from am to pm workouts... 4:30 just started coming too early!!!! ;)

Good Night All!

Hi all, hope you're having a terrific weekend! We have sun, and a little more warmth, after days of SNOW again in April. There's still about a foot of snow on the ground but it is melting away, hopefully for the season. In a moment of optimism I took the blankets off the horses again, so that they could enjoy the warmth.

Janie, so wonderful that Adrian is back home, and back in your arms. I can see why you wouldn't want to put him down to type. Since you've used P90X, did you find that doing it as a system is a good approach - for the full 90 days? Or did you do it for a shorter rotation? I've seen some people do it for a month.

Ironlady, would love to hear how DD does with P90X. Except for a few of the discs, I won't be doing it til STS is done - on the six month plan, that means July or thereabouts. I've also been working on sleep lately ... overtraining and overstress both tend to make for restless nights.

Laura, we may end up being very bad for one another's bank accounts :) Besides P90X, I'm also very curious about Chalean Extreme. It sounds like it is a shorter program, yet still intense, and different from Cathe and STS? That might work well during the gardening/horsebackriding season ...

Michelle, since you are thinking of taking dumbbells on board ... have you considered the dial-in style? They are more expensive, and much bulkier (makes it harder to do certain moves) but they take up much less space and less total weight because it's "all in one". You are a strong minded woman to be wanting to boat, and strength train, all at once! Sounds like you go on long excursions. It will be fun to live vicariously through you as you write back about that :)

All, I could use some suggestions for flexibility. I'd like to do more to improve my flexibility. I have always been inflexible, and I also enjoy moving around more than quietly holding a pose. However, I just can't seem to stick with traditional yoga or pilates done in my home - I have tried Yoga for inflexible people, Yoga booty, etc. Although ... I did love martial arts and dressage, both areas where you have to work hard to improve a specific movement ... Maybe I just need the right teacher, but at present, my schedule is too inconsistent to sign up for classes.

In the meantime I'm tired of finding it hard to put flat palms on the floor, or to down with legs stretched out straight in front of me - I want to fix that in 2009. Can anyone suggest a fun dvd or rotation or ??? to work on flexibility?

Last edited:
Good Evening,

Shadowpup, I use Yoga and hearty full body stretches of flexibility. If you find something better than that, I'd like to know. I'm trying really hard to do the splits and the backbend. There are sites on the computer that gives you tips on how to do that. Doing P90X (for 90 days) is wonderful as a system and a system that diffently works. I whole heartedly reccomend it when not doing STS. It's a good idea to change the two around and therefore confuse your muscles even further.

Ironlady, Hoping you get rest and enough sleep to help your body recover from exercises and the stress of work. Love 4DS, they are great workouts. See ya soon.

Michelle, It is amazing how our next generation is learning so rapidly. I'm always in awe. We don't have a Dick's here, but when I visit my son in Las Vegas, I visit their store and of course buy something.

Have a great evening everyone,

Janie

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.