Low Carbers & Friends - August 2010

Shadow

Cathlete
Happy August, all :)! Yes, I'm getting a jump-start on the month but I figured all the more anyone visits, we'd be okay ;).

Hope to see you all soon!

Melinda - I answered you on the July thread about S&H but if you want me to repost it here, I will.

Hi y'all, just wanted to tell you that I'm MIA cause I'm on a mental health break vacation (really needed it, so I took it. dang it.) REally, not at work, on vacation, not doing gang buster stuff at home. REally, honestly, no major projects, just hanging out. (okay, I am getting ready for a yard sale, but that is not a big deal and I haven't even really done anything about it yet.)

Thanks, Lita. I am going to read up on those workouts, check prices and decide. So the reps are slower than STS. That is interesting.

Rhea, I need a mental health vacation, too! UGH!

Melinda - I don't remember if the tempo is slower between S&H and Meso 3 but for darned sure the tempo is slower than the other Mesos as well as GS and the other "strength" workouts :). Since you're so familiar w/ STS, you'll know if you get to preview S&H if it's slower or not. Herehttp://www.collagevideo.com/workout-video/cathe-friedrichs-slow-and-heavy-7652 is the Collage Video write up with clips on the series.

(((Rhea!!!))) Let us know if there's anything we can do - you know we're here for you, right ;)? Take care, dear friend!

Hi babes! Thanks for staying on top of things and starting a new thread Lita!

Enjoy your well deserved mental health vacation Rhea!!!!! I'm glad you are taking a break my friend!! I hope it gives you just what you need. And as Lita said, we're here for you if you need us!

I have S & H on video, DH got is copied onto dvd for me (so it's not the greatest quality, nor is it chaptered). Anyhoo, I'm willing to send the videos to anyone who wants 'em!

Conratulations on that chem class Melinda!!!!!!!!! So can I assume that you are going to continue? I recall you were going to see how you do and then decide. :)

Well, poop. I have to change my eating again. I really eat too much processed stuff (Atkins and South Beach). A friend I saw this weekend is making changes and it woke me up yet again! She's reading a book on mastering your metabolism that sounds pretty good. Especially with the big M looming, I should get some more info about it. And I'll make it low carb. I just heard on the news today that a low carb diet brings up your good cholesterol and a low fat diet doesn't! :D

Pure Strength series is on the agenda this week.

Later fit babes!

Tracy - What a great thing to do! I am so proud of you. It's not easy, I know, but you're right. Any problem you have now will be amplified come the big M so do what you can now ;). And yes, low carb raises HDL and lowers LDL - something low fat can never do. Yeah for you keeping informed!

Okay - I'm pretty darned sure Rhea and Tracy will get the new workouts :p. What about you, Melinda :)?

First of all, what new workouts?

Second, mental health vacation has not been much of a vacation. Unfortunately, DH's dad was care flighted to Reno last Thursday. Thought he had a heart attack. He was getting better, but then had a pretty major stroke on Sunday morning. So we have been driving back and forth (three hours a day) to Reno every day. I'm pooped. I'm still working out and keeping up with the eating program, but it has been a challenge that's for sure. At least this did land during an active rest week for me, even though I usually do my weight workouts in the mornings now. (I can handle weights in the am, just not cardio)

Okay, I'd better get back to figuring out what the heck I ate today. Talk to you soon.

Oh Rhea - my thoughts and prayers are with all of you!!!!!!! Many, many cyber hugs, my friend!

As for the dvds, here is the link for the pre-order. It was in Cathe's latest newsletter - which I'm sure you didn't have time to read!

If there's anything I can do to help in any way, please let me know!

I echo Lita's words Rhea, many hugs to you and prayers and wishes for you to get some well deserved rest. Awesome that you are continuing your program through this challenging time! Kudos to you my friend, kudos!

Thank you for the thumbs up Lita! I hate going through eating changes but I know I must! I'll let you know how it goes too!

OK, the leg workout from PS broke my a$$, just like B&G did last week! :eek: My arms are fine so I'm quite confused. Could be that hormones changed again after the leg workout which I did on Tuesday. Who knows? :rolleyes:

Take care sweet babes!

Rhea, I am so sorry to hear about DH's dad. I know this is a very stressful time for you all.

I am not going to get the new workouts. I don't want high reps any more and I don't want really high intensity. I haven't even done all the STS cardio workouts yet. Yikes! And I'm not interested in the STS total body. I'll just wait to hear what you all think about it.

I did watch the commercial they made that is dvd vs. download. It looks like Cathe had some injections in her lip to plump it up. I know that's not what I was suppose to look at. I think down loads sound great, but what happens when you have to restore your computer? Are you aloud to download it again or when you download, do you have to burn a dvd just in case. This is why I am leary about doing the downloads. Plus, I'd have to hook my computer up to the tv everytime I wanted to workout. What are all your thoughts on this? Am I not thinking of it correctly.

Tracy, I will send you a message on FB

Lita, are you getting the new workouts?

Tracy - I've been trying to change my eating too so believe me, I understand :eek:! My big downfall is always dessert. Not that what I have is bad - it's just mostly artificial. But boy - I can get a far bigger dessert doing that than I can eating an ounce or two of fruit, ya know :rolleyes: :p :eek:. But we can both do it, right :D?

Last edited:
Melinda - I was very torn too but decided to go for it simply because I need a break now and again from heavy training. I was torn especially because of the high intensity thing, too, but since she is going to offer a low intensity version, I'm okay with it. Shoot - I modify everything I do now because of my wonky joints, so what's modifying yet a few more workouts :rolleyes:?

I'm with you on the downloads - I'd have to be far more addicted to technology than I am now to want that kind of aggravation ;)! Have you checked into S&H yet? I realize it doesn't have premixes or chapters since it's an older workout, but I find it easy to change some of the exercises up to keep it interesting. And you also have music with a beat to follow - which means a lot to me :p.

Hi babes! I replied to your message on FB Melinda.

Lita, it's a sad state of affairs when we can eat more of the artificial stuff than the real thing, huh? I am going to experiment this week with one change. Not entirely low carb, but something that may work for me. It's so stupid that I'm supposed to be on a low fat diet because of my thyroid issues! So I bought wheat and gluten free multi grain crackers to have with hummus instead of a pre-made protein shake. (And before that, I was having deli meat and cheese wraps.) So we'll see how it goes. I just want something that fills me up a bit without making me feel like crap!

Yes, I preordered the new series too! I am looking forward to them. The Lower Body Blast is supposed to be like B&G which I love and I like Power Hour alot too so I will like the high rep workout. And I'm really happy that Cathe is doing a total body STS in one hour. We'll see about the Intensity one. :)

I haven't looked at the ad regarding downloads vs. dvd but I am with Lita. I have no desire for them and you can NOT burn them to a dvd. I do not want to rely on my computer for everything either, especially when everyone of them I have had has lost stuff. (And as for the lip plumping, it looks like that was done in the STS cardio workouts too.)

Talk to you soon fit babes!

OK, so now I'm feeling like I need to get this new series! Geeze! I will have a little time to decide before they take the preorder off, though.

My work will pay up to $150/yr for a gym membership, but I am going to look into them paying that same amount for my home gym, either dvds or equipment. They are based in RI, so I can't use that gym there and like my stuff at home. So many decisions!

I thought Cathe was looking different in STS, but I though she had something done to her teeth, now that makes sense about the lips. I would always just wonder what it was.

Tracy - Hope that changes works well for you!!! Sometimes it just takes the smallest tweak :). Of course, if it doesn't, there are other things you can try so it won't make or break your attempt. I don't necessarily like PH because of the fast tempo but I like the music and the way each set of music goes with a body part. I used that music one summer to do my own S&H routine (just did it half time) and it worked out great :D!

Melinda - I think asking the company to pay is a marvelous idea :D!!! Make perfect sense to me - hopefully it will to them, too! As for the new Cathe workouts, I always feel obligated too :rolleyes:. But in all honestly, if you don't think you'll like it, I don't know that it's worth it. Yes, it will cost more to miss out on the pre-order but then you will also in the future be able to get an individual dvd if you'd like it. I usually just get them all - the one time I didn't get the whole series, the one I ended up wanting the most was the one I didn't get :confused:. Anyway - I hope you go for whatever makes you happy because that's what it all comes down to in life :cool:!

Rhea - Thinking of you, dear girl :)! Hope you're hanging in there!!!! (((Hugs)))

BTW, if anyone cares :rolleyes: :p, I am now finishing up my 4th week of S&H. I do believe I'm going to miss it :eek:! Anyway, weeks 1 & 2 I did it acc'd to the tape. Week 3 I did a 4-4 count. This week I'm doing the count like the tape except I am inverting the order of the exercises. This is the first time the 6-2 count has really appealed to me and not made me feel lop-sided, though - not sure why :p! I've also added on floor work for my 4th indoor workout along w/ short cardio.

Next week I'll do PS (I have some appts and need some shorter workouts). Will probably only do 3 days. But of course, I also walk 6 - 7 days a week, so I won't be too idle ;).

Then I am embarking of 4 weeks of Meso 3 upper body w/ Meso 1 lower body. Don't know what I'll do on the 4th day of the indoor part of the week.

Just something new and different to try :cool:. If STS doesn't fit my fanny, I'll return to S&H I believe.

OK, I got approval for the company to pay for the dvds, so I'm going to get S&H and the new dvds!

Tracy, I won't need you to mail the videos, I'll just get the dvds. Looks like you all like the S&H series. It will be a nice change of pace

Yahooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think that's the best of all the scenarios available, Melinda! I am beyond thrilled for you :cool: :D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey Melinda that is great. Wish I could have somebody pay for my obsession!
LOL

Thanks everyone for the well wishes. I think it is working. He is slowly improving, so now it is more of a wait and see...long wait and see too. He will have a long road of rehab ahead.

I've just started Meso #3 with al the correct 1 rep measurements. I actually am very surprised at the weight I'm supposed to do. The only one that I said, NFW, (flippin', not the other word hahaha) was to the incline chest presses. I was supposed to use 26 lbs. I don't think so, only used 22.5 on the regular flies! And that was tough.

Oh and the bench presses, any heavier and I don't think I could lift it from the ground. I really need to get the rack and then I would have no excuse for the chinups, pullups and the heavy chest presses. :rolleyes:

Well, back to something here at home. Maybe a little sewing before the night is over. :eek:

Rhea - I am so glad things are looking a touch brighter for you :)! Thoughts and prayers continue, of course, for everyone!

Congratulations on those 1 RM results :D! I have to go a touch lighter and do more reps on the chest work in Meso 3 because I cannot safely handle the weight I could, in theory, do. While I'd love to have the tower for the chin ups (not that I could do one, ya know :p ) but I can't justify it since I don't have a barbell and have absolutely no plans of getting one. However, if you have one, then I think you have a perfect reason for indulging - assuming you'd use it often enough to justify the expense ;).

Hope you got to do some sewing - I'm sure that would be a great thing to do to get some stress relief!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.