KK's December Check In

Netta

Cathlete
Hi ladies,
Today is my day off but didn't get to sleep in too long as DH and I are going to Reno to look at a used truck he wants to use as a wood truck. May get to do some shopping over there too.

I did GS Biceps today, followed by Christi Taylor's Solid Gold Cardio. Finally got the one combo down that I was struggling with. Using the Movemaster segment that she has on the DVD (a slower review of the trickier steps) helped a lot. I got thru all of the first segment.

I had my niece take my before P90X pictures yesterday. Man, my legs have gotten much bigger since my last pictures. Lots to improve upon for sure. I'm not bummed but want to get leaner without doing so much cardio. I also went over the food program some more and will do some shopping this weekend to prepare. It will be more food than I'm used to and for the first phase (4 weeks) low carb and higher protein.

Karen, hope the dancing is good this weekend and hope your hip is feeling better now. I can't bounce back to the other thread without losing this one so I'm not sure what workout you are doing today, but I hope you have an awesome day!

Becky, enjoy your weekend immensely!

Rhea, are you working out? Eyeing the ski slopes yet?

Jeanette

Good morning! TGIF!

Have been getting back into the grove of working out. Did a Cardio Fusion premix on Monday. Got my new TJs on Tues...wait, did Cardio Party #1 on Monday, Cardio Fusion Premix on Tues. Wed I did one of my new Turbos, didn't think I was going to like it, but what a blast! Ran out of time yesterday for working out, so today, before massage I want to get in my other TJ in.

Becky have fun in Pensacola. Drive safe.

Jeanette - I need a Reno trip soon. I have no idea when I'm going to finish any of my Christmas shopping. Just thinking of going to Reno during the holidays gives me the willies. So much traffic.

Karen - glad to see that your hip is getting better. Have a greak weekend.

Well, must get back to work. See you all later!

Good Evening!:)

It was Drill Max cardio section for me today -- the 46 minute workout (it's in an 8 rotation). My workout did freeze, but luckily I didn't have to turn off the player to get it going again -- but I lost out on one of the rotations. That's a terrific workout.

Jeanette -- thanks so much for starting the thread again. Low carb, high protein seems to work well for me in dieting, as well. When all else fails, I go back to the lo carb, high protein. Sounds like you're going to be having some fun with this new series. Can't wait to hear the results you're gonna be getting.

Rhea -- wow! you have the new TJ's. What a blast. So glad that you're enjoying them and are getting back in the groove.

Becky -- we'll be thinking about you having a great time with your hubby this weekend.

So now the holidays are upon us -- and lots of stuff to do to prepare. Firstly, though I have to shop and get sent off all the things going out of the area -- and so tomorrow, I hope to get that done -- and then as the week goes on -- to wrap it all and send those gifts off. Finally made my list of gifts I have to buy -- always so much to do.

Well, it's late and I have to get up early tomorrow, so I'd best get going. Tomorrow is cardio and upper body day for me -- although I might change it to a circuit day -- and take Sunday off since I'll be dancing on Sunday -- we'll see...

Edited to mention that my daughter wants to improve her shoulders -- so I'm wondering Jeanette -- do you like the slow and heavy series? I'm thinking about getting that one for her. What do you think?

Well, best be off to bed now. Have a super weekend, everyone!

Hello ladies.

Just peeking in to say hi.

Jeanette, enjoy Reno!

Rhea, let me know what the TJs are like. How do they compare in intensity to Cathe? Is it lots of cardio (I love cardio!...gets all the nervous energy out)

Karen, I love the holidays. Can't wait until next Friday (after the test and after I hand my old apt complex my keys) to start to enjoy them! Next Friday after I get back to Pensacola, DH's company has a Christmas party. It is at our favorite restaurant (McGuire's). I should get in town a few hours before to relax and prepare to P-A-R-T-Y! Will definitely be getting tipsy that night (After finals :) )

Today I went to the new apt complex gym and did 25 min on the elliptical and 20 min on the exercise bike. Then I did some bicep and chest work. I need to build up my chest muscles (especially since I have totally lost breast tissue...down to an A cup for real now)

Now back to spending time w/ DH and studying.

Oh, this morning we did another all-around-the-town hunt for a Nintendo Wii. We didn't get one of those but I did get a really nice leather coat at the mall. My winter coat is too big now (size 8...now a size 2!) so I needed a new one.

Supposedly, tomorrow there is supposed to be a shipment of Wiis. We'll be at Walmart tonight at midnight and, if we don't get one there, at Target at 6:30 to wait in line for the 8am opening. I can't believe we're actually doing this, especially the weekend before a test, but it is kind of an adventure. We feel like little kids!

Hope everyone has a great weekend. I intend to workout tomorrow. Don't know if I'll go to elliptical machine again or do some kickboxing.

-Becky

Another busy weekend -- but busy in terms of getting things started for the holidays...shopping for people out of town -- plus we got our holiday decorations up. Yea! That's always a time-consuming chore...but a fun one.

Becky -- Your DH's office party sounds really great -- and best of all -- you'll really deserve the fun. Have a blast getting tipsy. ;)

Did you really lose breast tissue? I know when I diet that my breasts can temporarily go down in size -- but it's usually only a temporary thing. By the way, something I discovered quite by accident -- mammary (I may have misspelled that, as it doesn't look right to my eye) -- but I swear that the mammary supplement I was taking helped the size of my bust -- I wasn't taking it for that -- I was taking it because I had some problems with the change-of-life a few years back. But I did notice this cute little bonus. :eek:

And you are down to a size 2. Wow, Becky, this is wonderful. Really, really great. You must feel on top of the world. Keep it up, Becky!

ou know what? I also bought a winter coat this weekend -- it'll be my DH's X-mas gift to me. Isn't it great getting into shape and staying in shape?

Well, it's time for me to look at the rotation for the upcoming week. Oh, did the dancing exhibition tonight. It was really good, really fun. I was the only fancy dancer and so I did the exhibition, when it was my turn, alone -- first time I've done that exhibition alone -- it was a little daunting. But there's another dance, called the Crow Hop, that I haven't practiced and it's a calf burner. I can hardly walk right now.:+

Jeanette -- hope those new workouts are going great -- are you going to let us see your picture? Let us know your results, okay?

Rhea -- how was your weekend? Hope the workouts are going great.

Here's the plan:

Mon: IMAX2

Tues: SJP -- a premix

Wed: Cardio & Stretch

Thurs: Bootcamp

Fri: Drill Max cardio premix

Sat: KPC -- a premix

Sun: Off

Have a terrific day everyone & super workouts.:7

Morning,
Have to be quick here, running out of time.

Wow, P90X chest & back was hard, but good. Ab Ripper X was a killer. I have room to grow with these. I definitely fatigued my abs.

Working on the food part, will be a change for me, more protein, less carbs.

Good bike ride yesterday, did BM2 cardio premix on Saturday on 8" step, real sweatfest!

Hope all are well.

Jeanette

Good morning!

Boy, am I exhausted today. Might have done a little too much on the workouts this weekend.

Becky - the new TJs are not that "cardio" intense, but you can make them cardio intense...Does that make sense? TBB is more of a circuit workout with the stability ball, but she does some cardio with the ball too. I haven't been using the ball over head (well, the ceiling fan is in the way, I may never be able to do the over head part!) It is tough on the shoulders and my right shoulder can't take that right now. But I burned 386 cals, 50% fat yesterday in that workout. It is just about an hour. Lots of core work throughout the whole thing. The Kicking Core has a cardio party first and then a ball core type workout. I loved it. Not sure which is my favorite.

Well, I did Kicking Core on Friday, the entire Drill Max on Saturday and the Total Body Blast yesterday. I really hope that this "OMG, I'm exhausted" feeling goes away soon. I'm cheating and having a latte with 1/2 decaf 1/2 caffeine to help me out. The carbs in the nonfat milk might boost me a bit too.

Well, I suppose I should at least pretend that I'm working. Either that or turn my chair towards the wall and take a quick snooze.:+

Good Afternoon!:)

Rhea, you always make me giggle. Personally, I like the idea of turning the chair to the wall for a snooze.

Sorry you're so tired. On the bright side, however, I'm sure that your body will adjust if it is the more intense workouts.

Those new TJ's sound interesting -- I'll have to look more into them. Rhea, can you tell me -- is this new series anything like the FitPrime workouts -- I have yet to get the FitPrime workouts. For some reason, these new ones reminded me of my old FitPrime.

Jeanette -- you sound super busy -- those P90X's sound like they're really working, however. My daughter has asked me to do a rotation for her -- so I have a question in to Cathe -- hope she'll be on the forums sometime this week, if not -- I'm thinking about writing to FitnessFreak -- I notice that she puts together some really good rotations, as well.

Becky -- hope the studying is going well. And that the workouts are keeping the stress in check.

It was IMAX2 for me today, even though my calves are burning like mad from some of the dancing I did last night. Hopefully, it will ease off soon -- but if not, I might do a less intense workout than Bootcamp tomorrow.

Have a terrific day tomorrow and super workouts everyone!:7

Hello ladies.

DH and I did end up getting a Nintendo Wii on Sunday morning. It is so fun. We played bowling and boxing. It really gets your heart rate up. In fact, my arms and back are sore today (must be from the boxing). I got so into it. I was supposed to do ME today but can't because my upper body is so sore from that game system!!!

Yesterday I spent some time on the elliptical machine. Like I mentioned, I had meant to do ME today, but d/t soreness did 45 minutes on the elliptical while studying instead. Needed that studying too.

This week is INSANE!!! I can't wait for this test to be over on Friday, but I am SOOO not ready for it.

Must get back to studying.

-Becky

Good morning,
Looks like everyone is having some great workouts! I did PlyoX today and worked up a sweat. Really enjoyed this one and felt very athletic while doing it. I'm sure I burned a few calories. Tried to use my HRM but it immediately went to 191 and stuck, then went to "0", didn't move for a while, I ditched it. It just doesn't like my TV. This workout energized me and the impact is not too bad, you can definitely modify anything. I bought a thicker mat to use and it helps.

I have to allot some time in the evening to plan my meals until I get this way of eating down.

Rhea, glad you are back working out. I have a ceiling fan so have to watch the stability ball. I've already broken one light by jumping up on a step workout, forgetting it was up there.

Becky, Nintendo Wii sounds like a workout! And kids do this stuff? That's a good thing.

Karen, know you enjoyed Imax2 today. Hope the calves are feeling better, but it's good to feel the burn sometimes, huh? We know we worked something good then.

Must run, my massage was nice last night, but I was informed that she will be taking a break for a while. I have 2 more massages left on my card (I prepaid for 4) so will have to schedule with another lady there.

Jeanette

My calves were burning so much (even still) that I did Pyramid Upper Body -- up only premix -- I was going to add a stretch in there, as well, but Cathe's stretch at the end seemed to be just fine, so I left it at that. Tomorrow I'll probably do Pyramid Lower Body just to round it out -- although I like the Legs & Glutes a little better -- will add on a stretch, as well.

Becky -- that Nintendo Wii sounds exhausting -- but fun. That's so cool that you really got into it. ME is my favorite strength endurance workout -- but it's tough and so I can understand putting it off when you're sore.

Study well. At least it's only a few more days.

Jeanette -- PlyoX sounds wonderful actually. I think I do a similar thing to what you're doing with your meals -- because my BIL eats only raw, my whole way of preparing food and cooking has changed -- so I have to plan every meal, as well -- at least every evening meal.

Bummer that your regular massager is taking some time off -- hopefully the others will be just as good.

Rhea -- hope work doesn't impinge too much into your workout time. Or if it does, that you'll be able to make time around it.

Oh, I wrote to Debbie -- Fitness Freak -- who wrote me back some very helful advice on making up a rotation for my daughter. Also, got some really good pointers from Kathryn and Carole over at Cathe's forum. So with all this info, I was able to make up a rotation for her that I think she can do -- she only has 40-45 minutes a day to workout -- if that -- so I made a schedule that is one that I think she'll be able to keep. Plus, I ordered two more Cathe DVD's for her for Christmas for this rotation.

I think she'll have fun.

Well, I'd best get myself downstairs to fix dinner. Have a wonderful day tomorrow and terrific workouts! :7

Good morning,
Today's workout was Shoulders & Arms, with AbX. Great workout. I felt pretty good, hip flexors are still sore. I did better on the ab workout today though. My core is already tightening up, even DH commented. I didn't do a Cardio Coach last night because I want to be sure I have enough energy to do the program as is. Also did my lunch preparation last night, which helped immensely this morning.

Karen, I love PUB. Usually only do the up premix. Glad you got some advice on a rotation for your daughter. I did Fitness Freaks one body part a day and it works well. This one works good for tacking on short cardio segments after the weights, more effective for me as I'm finding out I'm feeling leaner without as much cardio (so far).

My massage lady is going to do my last 2 appointments (January & February) so I'm pleased. After that, I'll have to decide if I want to continue or not, cuz I'll have to get someone else.

Great workouts everyone.

Jeanette

Good morning all!

Just realized that I got to read yesterday but no time to post. Hmm...

Jeanette - glad you like the P90Xs. Core work is so important, but I think a lot of us don't do it enough.

Karen- how are the calves? Are they better yet?

Becky - you are probably lost in the books. Good luck on that test on Friday.

Well, what have I been doing? Can't remember if I posted what I did on Monday, so Monday I did Kickin Core. Yesterday was a day off since I had our holiday Bunco to attend. Today was Total Body Blast. I'm not sure what will be on the menu for the rest of the week. Tomorrow I have the upper GI scope in the afternoon. I don't get to eat all day, so no workout for me. I'm not sure how I'll be the next day. I'm supposed to go to San Francisco this weekend, however, there are three storms coming, so I don't really want to go. I don't want to travel Sunday night in a snow storm over the mountains. Yuck.

Well, back to work. Have a great day!

Very busy day for me today -- was helping my friend, Patricia, today, since we didn't get any work done over the weekend. So a busy day.

It was PLB for me today -- the calves were still complaining a bit, and so I did what I thought was the easiest of the Legs & Glutes workouts. Turns out it's a pretty intense workout, though. Did the whole thing. Now my outer thighs are sore, as well...

Jeanette -- wow, doesn't it make you feel good to see your abs responding well? I think Rhea is right that we might not do enough abs. I know that they are very tough for me even still -- I never did do exercises after I had my kids -- it wasn't until my mid-30's that I began to exercise...

Cardio after weights, huh? Sounds like it might be a very good plan. Am really watching your progress on these new workouts. Also, glad that you got your meals prepared the night before -- am sure that helps.

Rhea -- Please forgive what might be a stupid question, but what is an upper GI scope? Something at the doctor's? Can sure understand not wanting to drive home in a snow storm -- especially up and over the mountains. So if you do it, please stay alert on the road, okay?

Oh, and Jeanette, that's great that your massager -- don't know how to spell the real word for it -- is going to finish your massages. Makes a difference.

Well, am hoping to get much work done tomorrow -- so I'd best be off to bed.

Have a wonderful day tomorrow -- keep in touch with us, Rhea and let us know about the upper GI scope. Have some terrific workouts, as well. :7

Good morning,
Today was YogaX. 90 minutes long. I feel more stretched out for sure.

Rhea, be careful going to Reno. Hope the upper GI scope goes okay for you. Let us know.

Karen, good for you for doing Legs & Glutes. Haven't done that one in a while. Hope the calves start feeling better. You must have really worked them good.

Must go now, Hi to Becky,

Jeanette

Good morning!:)

Am posting earlier than usual today cause I have a busy day ahead of me. Just heard from my publishing company -- they are sending me copy edits next day -- due back to them by Friday -- and because I work with Patricia on weekends, it gives me only 4 days in which to do them and get them back...

Can't believe I'm expected to do this... And during holiday season when things are already busy, busy, busy.

Anyway, it was cardio from BodyMax2 for me today and a stretch, which was great!

Jeanette -- you sound super busy -- hope the program is going well for you.

Rhea -- take care of yourself, and let us know how you're doing.

Hi to Becky -- I'm sure your nose is in your homework right now.

Have a terrific day, everyone!:7

Good morning,
Karen, bet you are already working hard with the new deadline. I know you can do it. You are an amazing woman. I'll be pulling for you.

Today's workout was P90X Legs and Back and AbX. I loved the leg workout. It is a good one, with lots of variety. It has pullups interspersed throughout it when your legs are tired. I use the Bowflex for that part and that works out really well for me. AbX was tough, tough. I'm feeling leaner already with this workout series and this is only my 5th day! Of course, I'm eating cleaner than ever and staying away from the cereal box. I had my first recovery drink today, using a hand blender that I forgot I had. I used vanilla whey protein powder, fatfree milk, dab of peanut butter and 1/2 of a banana. I didn't even drink it slow, it was sooooo good! What have I been missing????

Rhea, how did the Upper GI go?

Becky, know you are busy studying and working out. You are strong, strong.

Got to run, have lots to do today. Have DH's company party tonite at a dude ranch. The company also puts us up overnight on the ranch too. It's lots of fun. Think the dinner is buffet so I can make wise choices.

Jeanette

I'm thinking of you tonight, Jeanette, on that Dude ranch. What fun! What a great place to have the company party, too.

Those P90X's sound really, really good. Could you tell me a little about them -- where did you hear about them and where did you get them? They sound really good. Oh, and that drink sounds wonderful, too.

Well, it was a premix from KPC for me today -- woke up with a sore neck and shoulders and so decided not to do weight work over that. So I did some KPC, which is sort of like a circuit workout but without weights.

Am planning IMAX2 tomorrow. Then a busy weekend and work and more work -- trying to get everything done by Christmas. I'm always so relieved once Christmas is done -- it means I can relax at least for a day or two. Whew!

Rhea -- hope all is well with you. Let us know, okay?

Becky -- bet you're glad the exam is over, huh?

Have a super weekend, everyone and great workouts!:7

Good morning,

It was KenpoX for me this morning. Not the heart pumper that KPC is or the great music, but it was fun. Didn't get my heart rate up there like it seems to for the group in the workout, but I can add on something else (or not). I was able to work on my form with this one as it's not done at any kind of a frantic pace.

Karen, P90X is put out by Beachbody.com. If you go to that site, you can click on P90X and it will tell you about the workouts. Think there are a total of 12 DVD's in the set, there is a nutrition plan and a nice handbook on the system that includes the rotations. I am doing the classic rotation. One big thing I get from reading about it is part of the success is based on "muscle confusion", your body never gets used to the workouts so you don't plateau (like so many of us do). It also addresses flexibility by adding in yoga once a week and a stretch day. The cardio is kept to a couple times a week (in the classic rotation) so that you don't sabotage your muscle burning efforts.

For instance: this is the first 3 weeks:

Day 1: Chest & Back (strength, lots of pushups and pullups which I use the lat pulldown tower on my Bowflex for as I don't have pullup bar or bands) & AbX
Day 2: PlyoX (cardio)
Day 3: Shoulders & Arms & AbX
Day 4: YogaX
Day 5: Legs & Back & AbX
Day 6: KenpoX (think kickboxing but more controlled than Cathe's)
Day 7: Rest or X Stretch

The recovery week (4th week) is really not a recovery, just from doing strength. The workouts are:

Day 1: YogaX
Day 2: Core Synergistics
Day 3: KenpoX
Day 4: X Stretch
Day 5: Core Synergistics
Day 6: YogaX
Day 7: Rest or X Stretch

This is Phase 1. Phase 2 changes with different workouts, but some of them the same. The food requirements change also, bumping up some carbs for more energy. Phase 3 changes again, and the food requirements also due to more energy output.

I like this a lot and what it's doing for my body so far. I'm eating cleaner, without the carbs so that's helping the puffiness in my body. I'm looking leaner over my muscles already. Doing all the cardio in the last circuit rotation was an eye opener at how too much cardio wasn't good for me. As soon as I went back to devoting more time to weights and less to cardio, I started feeling hungrier (that's a good thing for me) and feeling leaner.

Rhea, Becky, hope you guys can pop in.

Good workouts today. We're supposed to get a Christmas tree today out in the woods. Hope the weather is okay. Oh yeah, DH's company party was absolutely wonderful, good meal, (nice Christmas bonus for DH), nice embroidered duffle bag, cowboy music CD) and a nice overnight stay at the Dude Ranch. We came home early this morning.

Jeanette

Or should I say morning now? I'm up late with a stomach ache and couldn't sleep. Hope to go to sleep soon, however, as it appears that it's better now. Sigh.

Jeanette, thank you so much for taking the time to explain this all to me. It's a really interesting concept. I know that I get in ruts and do the same thing over and over and over -- and the muscle confusion is something that I don't pay much attention to -- until I get a new workout and realize that I've just been working the same muscles over and over.

I'll swing over and have a look at this. Am so glad that you are seeing results with it so soon.

I'm fighting my weight again -- but due to a hair dye, I think -- it takes my body over a week to get over the hair dye -- and this is a gentle one I got from Whole Foods. It's one I've used for years and years and years, and I think the body just can't deal with it anymore, so I'm looking to change it.

It was IMAX2 for me today -- but only 8 intervals -- time constraints -- I'm having my busy weekend, but it's looking as though my work with Patricia might be close to being finished. And I have all the work from my publisher, as well...waiting for me.

Well, have a great day tomorrow and Rhea and Becky, looking forward to hearing from you both. (Tomorrow is my rest day.)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.