kkkkettlebell ttttuesday

deanie

Cathlete
Good Morning!!

today's workout: http://jerseygirl4565.blogspot.com/

Melissa:: My kids do not eat 100% like me- maybe 60%.?. I do push the fruits and veggies, and they do eat those, but we also have "crap" in the house. I think for kids its important to teach good eating habits (which I do), but they also need cookies, cakes and junk food too. I think if you deny them now, they will binge later. The rule is they have to have veggies at dinner, or no desert, and late night snacks are always a fruit (they are allowed one "not good" snack a day - ice cream, cookies, etc) then its back to healthy snacks. So ice cream is 2 scoops (sometimes 3;)) and cookies - though home baked- are a staple. I do have to add , that my kids eat a lot, but are skinny as a rail! I don't know that I would be as laid back with the food if they were heavy/overweight. I also don't allow screen time during the week and only 1 hour a day on fri, sat, and sunday. Mostly I am throwing them out of the house to play outside, and if they don't want to play, they can read outside! OH!- in the summer we go for slurpees at least 3X a week!!
(do have to say, the pretzels are chemical free, and most of the snacks are from Trader Joes or Roots, so they also are as chemical free as possible- but not the ice cream) Some things I've tried to switch them over to and they don't like it - from cheese-its to Kashi's cheese its- and they don't like them, so they just don't eat it) We do currently have Capt. crunch cereal, Lucky Charms and Honey combs as a staple for breakfast. ... wow, i really ran on about that didn't I? LOL aren't you glad you asked?? **ha ha** How about your kids?
sometimes I do end up making different dinners - few and far between, but it is hard with me being a vegan, the kids needing to eat and DH wanting a hearty meal. I don't know about your kids, but my kids won't eat if they don't like something. They can be starving and they won't eat if they don't like it. Contrary to my moms advise - " if they are hungry they will eat" - No they won't mom!:p

Gayle:: I REALLY liked the workout today. Very bad a$$!:cool: and a definite do again! It was really tough! I am going to have to wait on the 40#kb for now, some other expenses to take care of first. bummer.

waves to Jane and Rhonda!

Have a great day gals!

Good morning!

I have a 3 hour video conference coming up so this will be quick. :eek:

Deanie - Great workout! I hope to do that tonight.

Melissa - My eating habits are kinda in line with Paleo and Weston Price Foundation recommendations. I make a lot of stuff from scratch. I'll expound on it later.

Here's a teaser...on the way to the grocery store last night, my car was attacked by geese! :eek::eek::eek:

Melissa: this looks like something up your alley:
http://fitness-solution.blogspot.com/ . I'm not sure I'd be able to walk afterwards though!

Gayle: GEESE???!!:eek::eek:
I make all of my stuff from scratch too. Looking forward to hearing about Weston Price Foundation recommendations. I personally am not a fan of Paleo (probably a lot because I don't eat meat) - just to play devils advocate - they don't like beans because you have to cook them to be safe to eat....but they are good with meat. Last I checked, you have to cook meat for it to be safe too. ;) Also, a 150# man only needs 50g of protein a day, and Paleo recommends a lot of protein. But that's just me:eek:, I know a lot of people swear by it; and have had lots of success with it.

a super cool clip: http://www.vimeo.com/8472344
a really strong chick! found this on DD forum the other day!

Hi Chickas!

I loved the workout I did yesterday.

This is what I'm doing today.

5 Rounds
Bear Crawl 50m
100 Jump Rope
Bear Crawl back 50m
21 Kettlebell Swings

Deanie ~ Great job today!!

Gayle ~ Geese! :eek: I see them almost every day but they are in flight heading northward! Hope your car is ok!! :)

Melissa ~ How do the field trip to the landmill go?

Hi Rhonda - I'm glad you got your workout in.

Deanie - That is one wicked strong chick! She made it look easy! I've made coconut milk ice cream...it's awesome! :D I'm totally with you that homemade treats are a must have. If there's one junk food that makes it into our house, its potato chips (TERRA CHIPS *drool*) or tortilla chips...but good ones!:eek: I just have to say, I think you're a pretty cool mom. :cool::)

The Geese Story
Yesterday evening I was driving to the store on a 50 mph road through farm country. Up ahead I see two domestic geese standing on the yellow line and not moving, so I slow down and honk my horn.

I was expecting them to move out of the road, but instead they waddle up to the front of my car and start honking at it!!! I honk again...they honk back...I honk...they honk...I slowly roll my car towards them...they just honk...and THEY WON'T MOVE!!! :eek:

There was a girl behind me in an SUV, and she was laughing her a$$ off! :D

I got out of my car and approached them and they HISSED AND LUNGED AT ME!!! I screeched like a little girl and jumped back in the car. Talk about some vile, obnoxious birds! They had green tongues, I swear...GREEN TONGUES!!!

Eventually, a truck coming from the other direction started honking at them from the other side, and that made them move away, but I was stopped in the road for about 3 or 4 minutes. Apparently the road was their territory and they were not giving it up!

Food Story
I apologize in advance for the babbling to come...I hope it's not too self absorbed. ;):eek:

I've been exploring different "diets" over the past few years, and there's one definitive I could find...people are incredibly dogmatic over food!! :eek: Some of the arguments I've seen on blogs are downright crazy..."my paleo is better than your paleo"..."you eat potatoes, so you're not really paleo"...blah, blah, blah...so "My Paleo" is not really paleo. :confused:

I've also learned that everybody is different. I'll be honest, I'm amazed that you (Deanie) not only thrive, but that you seriously kick ass on a vegan diet (Mike Mahler's vegan too...I just learned that ;) ). You found your body's optimal fuel. :cool:

My body does really badly on a vegetarian diet...tried it several times...anemia came on fast and furious each time, even with a doctor's help. So, knowing that, the whole Paleo concept made sense for me, until I started reading about how some interpret Paleo to the point at which entire food groups are discarded...and that's just a big turn-off and didn't make much sense. :(

So, through a winding path of blogs, I found out about Weston Price. Basically, he was a dentist who spent 30 years studying the nutrition and health of isolated native cultures who were untouched by "modern" illnesses. His studies lead to a book and a foundation and recommendations about food and its preparation.

In a nutshell, their philosophy is that modern food started going downhill when it became industrialized and over-processed for preservation, easy transport, profit, perceived sanitation, etc.

Their recommendations are that naturally raised meat, fish, vegetables, and fruits are all good. Whole grains and legumes are cool as long as they are prepared right (soaking and/or sprouting, and cooked). Dairy should be natural raised raw and full fat. Naturally fermented stuff is da bomb. Natural sugars like honey, maple syrup, rapadura and the like are fine in moderation. Natural saturated fats are our friends. :p They have a cookbook called Nourishing Traditions and its a very interesting read.

I've always liked to cook, so most of what we eat has been made from scratch for a while, but now that the kitchen is in order, I'm gonna mess around with more stuff like making cheese (I already do an easy Queso Blanco), maybe yogurt, more stocks, sprouting grains and beans...stuff like that...I should try potato chips!

Holy crap, this is more writing than I did college!!! :eek::eek::eek:

Deanie, about my kids and eating: the boys will happily eat anything and everything I eat because they are home with me all day and I guess they have just acquired tastes for what I eat, and I am going to admit that includes cereal in a bag (Barbara's Bakery Shredded Oats and Puffins - oh my!) and sweet potato chips (but NOT wine... yet :p) They love lentils, beans, naan bread, steel cut oats, fruits and fresh veggies, toasted sprouted bread... but they also eat pizza and mac and cheese with DH on the weekends - I won't deny them that because I agree about fun stuff (in moderation)! BUT we only get Trader Joe's cereals, and the worst cereal that we get are the Pecan Clusters because I am a huge stickler about starting the day right. But DD is a whole 'notha story: DH takes DD to school in the morning so she eats a lot of breakfast sandwiches from BK and donuts, and DH has convinced me that school lunch is fine (I was gunned down in that battle) so I don't pack her lunches anymore. She doesn't like anything we have here at home, but for dinner I cook either grilled steaks or chicken or baked fish, rice/quinoa, steamed or roasted veggies, some cut fruit (strawberries or cantaloupe), salad - and she doesn't have any option but that for dinner because that is the only time the entire week she eats well. I always buy them ice cream after we go hiking and we have a air-popped popcorn with ranch or kettlecorn flavoring for movie nights - those are special mom treats. We also go crazy for sleepovers and I don't care what they get. I think except for special occasions I am probably a little uptight about food, but I really am concerned about the kids getting their lives started off on the right foot especially since both Dan and I's wasn't and I constantly had broken bones and he is still constantly battling his weight and food addictions.
Talk about winded!!! :p

BTW, I love that blog!!! I have it bookmarked now. I already did a leg workout today, irony?, but I will do this one next week - it looks really great! Thank you for sharing it. :)

Gayle, GEESE ARE THE MEANEST CREATURES ALIVE!!! They are the only animals I don't have warm feelings for because I am pretty sure they have attacked every person in my family:eek:
I can't wait to hear the kind of stuff that you make! We have pretty much given up breads except when we go out and I have to say that I feel a lot better. We hardly ever get sick anymore and when we do it really is nothing.

Jane, DS is now passionate about recycling. He couldn't believe how many cardboard boxes, clothes, tires, glass and plastic people throw out when it can easily be reused or recycled. He doesn't get how the grass can grow on the hills surrounding the landfill because it's so nasty... it really made an impact on all of us, really. We already recycle, but now he is not wanting to even buy plastic bags or things wrapped in unrecyclable plastic. I agree with him, so it was a great trip.
OH man, Bear crawls before and after jumping rope and swings... that will be fun. But how would you like to do it with kettlebells! :eek::eek::eek:

Rhonda, how was class last night?

Here is my workout from today:
15 racked KB lunges r,l
20 lunge back kick up r,l
repeat
12 KB1LbentLD r,l
20 lunge back knee hop ups r,l
repeat
10 racked squats r
10 dynamic squats
10 racked squats l
10 dynamic squats
repeat

It was good! I absolutely loved this workout. I feel like I am back to normal, woohoo!

Time to go, I will check back later. :D

Melissa

Melissa ~ that is like the dumbbell crawl at mountain athlete. I won't even attempt that but I'm sure you and Deanie could do it. I did bear crawls pushing a 18# dynaball once.

Glad the trip to the landfill was successful!!

Gayle ~ I loved your geese story! :D:D:D

Gayle: thank you for the mom compliment :eek: I like the info about Weston Price!! That's pretty much how I eat. Once I started reading labels :eek:it became a snowball effect to go that way :) I agree with you about cutting foods out of your diet. Grains are your friends ;) I love that you made your own ice cream!!!! I have 2 cookbooks: one exclusively for cupcakes and one for cookies only. each week one of my boys picks a cookie/cupcake he wants me to make. (mostly its cookies though, we are more cookie people) I think I may try ice cream though! Was it hard? Do you still have the recipe? And do you need special appliances? Your geese story was hilarious!! Yes, we've had a run in with geese and they are MEAN!! Glad you are okay and they didn't attack you!!:eek:

Melissa: I love that your kids eat the sprouted bread and beans! The only beans my DS13 eats is the black beans I make in the crock pot. DS10 won't touch them with a 10' pole!! We have air popped popcorn on movie night too!!:D:D I liked your crazy legs workout today!! I'm glad you liked the workout I posted! I've gotten some good workouts from that blog. I also have it marked on the side of my blog. Good for your DS and wanting to do his part with recycling stuff!

Jane:
Great workout for today! Are you making these up or following a site? Are you going to try the bear crawl with kettlebells??? That just looks crazy! LOL

waves to Rhonda!! Are you counting down the days till school ends????:)

Jane: Apparently I took to long to write my thread!! LOL! and you already answered my kb bear crawl question! :)

Jane:
Great workout for today! Are you making these up or following a site? Are you going to try the bear crawl with kettlebells??? That just looks crazy! LOL

The last couple of workouts have been Crossfit workouts but they are from various affiliates. I'm not sure where there are from. When I'm bored, I'll just go through the affiliate page and copy and paste workouts that I like. I have 2 HUGE file folders with workouts.

My sister made up a workout with walking lunges, bear crawls, walking swings and squats that we did last year. It was hard, I almost puked. I need to pull that one out again.

Jane - I love the workout you have planned. :cool:

Melissa - Nice workout! My mother has always hated geese because one bit and chased her as a child...awful critters!!

Deanie - Ice cream is really easy to make. I have a Cuisinart ice cream maker, it makes 1.5 quarts, which is plenty for DH and I: http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-ICE-20-Automatic-2-Quart-Ice-Cream/dp/B00000JGRT

You can do it without a machine. I did this once with a traditional ice cream recipe and it worked pretty well: http://www.davidlebovitz.com/archives/2007/07/making_ice_crea_1.html

This is the coconut milk ice cream recipe I used: http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/2008/05/chocolate-coconut-milk-ice-cream-2.html

It comes out harder than traditional ice cream, more like ice milk, but it's still delicious. :)

Melissa, you reminded me of something when you mentioned hardly ever getting sick since getting rid of bread. This spring I'm paying a lot of attention to how much DH and I are affected by pollen season, and seeing if less sugar and flour does anything...so far, so good, but it's early yet. ;)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.