KETTLEBELLS!!TGIF!!

Good morning!!!

I am getting ready to work out and it looks like I will be doing SIM plus some extra legs today. DH is getting ready to leave for Ohio to pick DD up from camp - I have missed her so much! Last year she came home from camp (it was a church camp) and her notebook was full of "Phoebe, don't you think that so and so is soooo cute!" "kinda, but he is stupid. i like so and so because he is really nice." "but he is so ugly!", lol. I wonder what she learned this year. ;)

Be back soon!

Missy

good morning

Missy::: Yeah! DD coming home! I hope you have a happy reunion!!:):)

Today i did "Josh". I had a good finishing time, but not really thrilled with the workout. I used 45# for the OHS, should have gone higher (maybe 50#) and my squats were not as deep as Annie in the video.... will have to work on that... with no weight and the 25#kb if I am warm, I can get down that far, but with this workout i wasn't able too:(. So the question is, do I up the weight next time, or lower the weight and get down lower?
The pullups were killer! and my abs were fried by the time I had to do the planks.

Gayle::: what did you end up doing last night?

Jane::: Well?? How far did you swim??:) How was the chocolate cake?

Rhonda::: Hope you get a flight. How was dinner with dad?

Marcy::: What's on the agenda today?

waves to Andilynn!!

Have a great day! Today is going to be busy getting ready for Florida! we are leaving Sunday afternoon and driving down. We are staying overnight in Georgia- Brunswick Georgia. Is that near either of you Georgia gals?

BBL!!

Good morning!

I'm off today and trying to locate some motivation to go work out. :eek: I didn't workout last night, so I really need to get my arse in gear.

Missy - LOL! about your DD's notebook. Have a good workout! :)

Deanie - Great "Josh" time! As long as your butt breaks the parallel plane with your knees, your squat is legit. Annie does go super low, but it's not worth going that low if it sacrifices any of your form. I took some video of my OHS the other night, and while my butt breaks parallel, it's definitely not hitting Annie depths. I do have some barbell drift and forward lean to work on, but that's another story...the camera is really unforgiving! :eek:

Have a safe trip to Florida!

Rhonda - Hope you had a nice lunch and a safe flight back.

Jane - Hope you didn't get stuck doing 100 laps, although Im sure youre up to the challenge. :)

Waves to Marcy and Andilynn! :)

TGIF!!

Rest day for me today as tomorrow is my 5K race in beautiful Monticello, FL. I'm not looking forward to that last hill. The finish line is at the top. Man, oh, man....it was tough last year!!

Deanie ~ Last night I did 60 laps. My friend said that she tried to go for 7 laps but just couldn't do it. So I did it in reps of 10. I'm not the best swimmer and I can't swim and breath at the same time so I hold my breath until I get to the wall, come up for air and go back to the other side. I was really winded.

The chocolate cake was very good. I had an end piece with lots of frosting and then got extra frosting :D because most of the guys here don't like frosting! Frosting is the best part of the cake!!

Poll for the day ~ Are you frosting gal or a non frosting gal!! :)

I am about 3 hours west of Brunswick, GA. You are very close to Jekyll Island. You should cross the bridge and go there for dinner. There is a 5K race that I want to do in Brunswick sometime. It's called the Sydney Lainer Bridge 5K. There is no flat part of the course. It's either up hill or down hill. They close the entire bridge for the race. Sounds like fun. :eek:

Where are you going in Florida?

Missy ~ I'm glad your DD is coming home! Hope you have a great celebration.

Rhonda ~ Hope you enjoyed your time with dad!

Gayle ~ What workout did you do?

Marcy and Andilynn ~ Hope you guys have a great Friday!

Poll for the day ~ Are you frosting gal or a non frosting gal!! :)

If it's cream cheese frosting, then I'm frosting gal. If it's regular buttercream, then not so much.

Great swim, Jane! I took a swim class last year and it took me a long time to get the swimming and breathing thing down. I have to swim pretty slow to actually do it without hyperventilating.

Good luck with your race!

Gayle::: Good to know. I went downstairs and looked at my squats in the mirror (had loaded the barbell to 50# earlier so I used that) my butt was close to parallel, but not quite there!:mad: I think I need to go back to 35 or 40# and get down deeper before I go up in weight. I know my form with the 35# last time was legit. Interestingly, its the squat, not the holding the weight overhead that is hard for me. My upper body and abs are good with the heavier weight! Go Figure!!:confused::)

Enjoy your day off and I hope you get some motivation (though you did do some rough workouts this week and a day off would not be so bad;))

Jane::: WTG with the swimming! You must have great lungs:). My parents are in Boyton beach Florida. We are driving to Brunswick and just crashing at the Hampton Inn there. Good Luck with the race tomorrow!! Go Get 'Em!:)

Good Morning!

I did a Jillian Michaels DVD for the first time today: Banish Fat, Boost Metabolism. I had heard lots of great things about this one and kind of jumped on the bandwagon. It's not as tough as an IMAX but you get out of it what you put into it. There are 7 circuits where you go through each circuit twice. One of them is a core circuit which has plank work, supermans, toe touches lowering feet 3" from the ground, mountain climbers and walking pushups (spider pushups). This is totally basic choregraphy (not my usual favorite). Reminded me somewhat of P90X Plyo X and Kenpo X. Jillian was very encouraging and actually made me work a little harder. She wasn't like her usual persona in Biggest Loser. There was lots of kickboxing in it: fan kicks, crescent kicks, side kicks, back kicks, a punch combo (only bad part she did it to one side twice but I switched and did the other side), upper cuts, punches to ceiling, squat kicks. Also lots of plyo stuff: plie jacks, squat jumps, plie jumps, jump rope, 180 jumps. Then there was the cross-country, standing mountain climbers (high jog with alternating arms), butt kicks, skaters, burpees. Also lots of standing core work. There was pretty much no rest between circuits. Overall, a great workout in under an hour.

Deanie - Have a great trip to Florida! Brunswick is about 5 hours away. Wish it was closer; I would have tried to meet up with you.

Re: Squats - Sometimes I can't get down far enough unless I am warmed up enough. Maybe do more of a warmup and try and keep the 25#? Also, from yoga I learned if you breathe into it, you can usually go deeper. You probably exhale going up, but maybe try the reverse and exhale on the way down.

Missy - Hope you have a wonderful reunion with DD!

Jane - Great job on the swimming! I am definitely for frosting! We had our monthly birthday celebration at work and the cream cheese frosting on the carrot cake was delish! Glad you enjoyed your chocolate cake. You deserved it! Good luck on the race tomorrow! I know I wouldn't be looking forward to a hill at the end!

How is Jekyll Island? What is there to do there?

Gayle - Hope you can work up some motivation to work out. Just keep thinking "I'll feel better if I do". I felt like a truck ran over me this morning, but I knew I'd feel better after and I did (even though I also needed to take two ibuprofen to do it).

Farmer - I hope you got a flight and had a nice dinner with Dad!

Have a great day!

Marcy

Deanie - Have a great trip to Florida! Brunswick is about 5 hours away. Wish it was closer; I would have tried to meet up with you.

Re: Squats - Sometimes I can't get down far enough unless I am warmed up enough. Maybe do more of a warmup and try and keep the 25#? Also, from yoga I learned if you breathe into it, you can usually go deeper. You probably exhale going up, but maybe try the reverse and exhale on the way down.

Marcy::: Thanks, we are leaving Sunday. I was hoping you were close enough to meet up with! It would have been fun just to meet and say HI!:) We've been "chatting" for what? 3ish years??!! ...would have been fun.....Good advise on the squats. I do breathe in on the way down. Will try the other way next time. thanks! I am totally thinking of redoing this workout on Sunday!:eek:

How is Jekyll Island? What is there to do there?

Marcy

Thanks for the info on Jillian's workout. I don't like her personality and she always seems to be sneering but maybe I need to check it out.

I haven't been to Jekyll in a while but I enjoyed the time I stayed there in the past. Most of the stuff is geared towards nature and outdoors stuff like the beach, golf, biking, mini golf. The also have a water park. Not a whole lot to do but it's nice for a relaxing vacation. They have a couple of races that I want to do there.

Lately we head to St. George Island, FL. It's in the Gulf about 75 miles from Tallahassee, FL. There is absolutely nothing to do there. We rent a beach house (with a pool) and just spend the time at the beach or pool, read and eat crap. Fun!!

Hey all!

Marcy, BFBM sounds like a workout I would enjoy - because I wouldn't be tripping over my feet! LOL, I can see why you wouldn't be as excited about it with all the fancy footwork, super-challenging (to me) stuff you do. It looks like a really good workout, though! I haven't been a fan of Jillian because of how she is on the show, and the one DVD that I saw of her she was standing around talking while the others were doing all the work - not so inspiring for me. I like her when I see her interviewed though... strange!

Deanie, where in FL will you be? I am going with the fam to the Tampa aread the week after July 4th. My kids have never seen palm trees before - I can't wait to see their faces! We have taken them camping all over, hiking, other outdoorsey stuff but never a beach with palm trees. It will be so much fun!!! Also, as far as squats I prefer to go lighter and get lower. I definitely feel like I am recruiting more muscle tissue in my glutes, and since I have been squatting low the pain in my knees has pretty much disappeared - don't know if that's a problem for you or not.

Jane, thank goodness she didn't do 20 laps, eh? You are a great inspiration for her! Good luck on your race tomorrow, enjoy your rest today. :) The last triathlon I did the end was actually downhill... can't tell you how great it felt to actually be able to sprint downhill with the wind at your back towards the finish! It's the only time that's ever happened, though.

Gayle, when I am in need of some motivation I look at pictures of myself over the past couple of years. I have a set of photos from the summer before I had my youngest, and I remember how incredible fit and fast (running) I was. That motivates me to move it and pick up the pace. I hope you find your motivation, or if you are sick (since you had that fog earlier) that you will feel better soon and take it easy. I just hope you feel better anyways!!! :)

Rhonda, I hope you enjoy your time with your dad. :)

*waves hello to everyone else!

I finished SIM, and I went ahead and upped my weights for jerks, barbell sit ups, side bends and something else (I put my notebook away and don't feel like getting it out again :p) and I reeeeeeaaaaaaaaaally felt it, but in a good way. I really concentrated on keeping everything tight and focused on feeling every muscle working. The w/o was about 22 minutes and was a major sweatfest. Afterwards I did 1 song alternating front lunges, 1 song squats with single leg squats and 1 song combining the two movements. (songs of choice were Fallout Boy "I don't care", AAR "Top of the World" and Britney's "If you seek Amy" - yeah, I know I'm bad!) My butt feels nice and tight now! I was soaking at the end of the workout, phew!

I hope everyone enjoys their day! It is actually going to get up to 90 today - WOOHOO!!! Perfect day to be out at the pool. :)

And where icing is concerened - the less the better for me. It tickles my throat and feels funny going down. I like sweet stuff, but not that concentrated. Not a fan of whipped cream icing either, BUT, I do like cream cheese icing. I like to share cake with my youngest DS - he eats all the icing and I eat all the cake, it's a match made in heaven! :D

Missy

Jane - Thanks for the info on Jekyll Island.

Missy - Jillian surprised me. I didn't think I'd like her. I'm also planning on getting 30 Day Shred and No More Trouble Zones. I actually watched the whole 30 Day Shred on You Tube yesterday. Here it is if you're interested:

Level 1:
(part 1/3): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qp-ms4Zzdpo
(part 2/3): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9zVaNdUYeA
(part 3/3): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kv2sjSLfsQE

Level 2:
(part 1/3): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ze4p856Jkdg
(part 2/3): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smOXZEt-_9M
(part 3/3): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uf6JiT7pfCs

Level 3:
(part 1/3): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxS8yB2BQAk
(part 2/3): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=remL0cPR8bQ
(part 3/3): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkW2xONF0J8

She seems to do a lot of plank work, not too many crunches and more standing ab work which all work for me just fine.

I find circuits are really working for me right now. She did the workout today but she also walked around and instructed and showed modifications. You could actually do the workout if you're beginner, intermediate or advanced. She's not in your face yelling like she is on the show.

Keep cool! It's going up to 96 here today and will be like that for the next few days. I hope my power doesn't go out!

Good job on upping your weights! It's always great when you get a great workout done in a short amount of time.

Marcy

Hi Ladies

I just wanted to congratulate you all on your workouts. I love to read your thread as your workouts sound so fun and interesting. Please could you advise me what SIM is?

Thanks alot

Laura uk

Hi Ladies

I just wanted to congratulate you all on your workouts. I love to read your thread as your workouts sound so fun and interesting. Please could you advise me what SIM is?

Thanks alot

Laura uk
Laura, SIM is Strength in Motion - it's a worksheet workout from the Art of Strength website.
http://www.artofstrength.com/OnlineStore/WorkbookWorkouts/tabid/127/Default.aspx
It is (up to) a 6 month rotation, high intensity timed workout. You do 30 seconds of work with the heaviest weight you can use followed by a timed rest - you choose how long or short you take. The exercises include: sumo squats, figure 8's, snatches, push-ups, double kettlebell cleans, etc. It is the same routine and sequence every workout, but it will really increase your strength. I couldn't believe how quickly I was able to up my weights and add reps per set to my pull/chin ups... I was a bit disappointed when I ordered it and saw that it was the same routine, just different times per week and now I feel like a walking advertisement, lol! :p

Do you do any kettlebell workouts? You should join us, we would love to see you every day and read about what you are doing! :)

Missy

I'm Back

I made it back yesterday but I was really tired. My dad and I had a good dinner and he was glad that I came for the brief visit. Thanks for the well wishes.

The flight was interesting because they pulled this lady off for being intoxicated. The flight left at 10 am...so she must have started really early.

Deanie- Another good workout. Enjoy your time in FL. If you had a big butt like mine, you wouldn't have to worry about squatting low, it would already be dragging the ground ;). I can't believe you and Marcy have been chatting for so long.

Missy- How did your DD enjoy camp? Did you have a nice reunion.

Jane-Good luck on your race today.

Marcy- That sounds like another goody. I am going to see if they have it on Netflix.

Gayle- You deserve a break sometimes. Did you get your motivation?

I really like homemade cream cheese frosting.

Hi Laura. Hi Andilynn.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.