Kettlebellin' on President's Day - 2/15/10

lioness

Cathlete
Hi All,

I had a busy weekend and today I'm off for Presidents Day so mom and I are going shopping. Saturday morning I did an upper body workout and in the afternoon I did a workout that consisted of running, swings and sit ups.

Yesterday I ran 6 miles. It wasn't the best run. At the end I fell and skinned both my knees and hands. Not the best way to end a run.

I'm not sure if I'm working out today or not. We'll see.

We ended up having snow flurries on Friday evening. It's a rare thing down here. I think the last time it snowed was in 1989. It didn't stick and lasted about 15 minutes but it was pretty coming down.

I'll bbl. Running late!!

Good Morning!!!

Jane::: Enjoy your day off!:) Sorry about your fall yesterday! have fun shopping with your mom!!

Melissa::: WTG on your Saturday workout! Weighted pullups!?!? You rock!:) glad you are enjoying your 30# kb! We are going to see the Percy Jackson movie next weekend, DH wants to see it too! i will give a review when we see it, but I'm already sure the book is better!;)

Gayle::: Good workout yesterday.... did you ever try not to do "warm up sets" before your squats and deadlifts? I like how in PTTP Pavel says not to. For me it helps with my deadlifts not to do heavy warm up sets or any warm up sets at all.

Today is my last day off:(:(;) from our unexpected vacation!
I had a good practice today, hope I am awake for tomorrows workout though! LOL

today's workout:
http://jerseygirl4565.blogspot.com/

buy in: dynamic warm ups
wod: 3X3 c&p with pullups (16kg)
cash out: 1/2 snatch (16kg)

all c&p's were great, except one - I had to push press:) and that was in the last ladder/last rep....
I rolled 5 minutes for the snatch: 2 rounds of 10l/10r and 1 round 5l/5r since the gymboss beeped at the beginning of the last round. I also didn't wait a full 1 minute between rounds.

Waves to Nita, Marcy, and Rhonda!!!

Have a great day gals!!

Last edited:
Jane, I had something similar happen to me this weekend while walking in my xc ski boots, tripped and fell right on my face, but luckily that was in snow :eek:.

Deanie, I love reading your workouts, but can you please tell me what C & P's are?

This weekend I finally went xc skiing dreading the challenge on my shoulder, but I was wickedly happy I felt no pain or pressure anywhere. I really think I am good to go with full-on lifting too. Saturday I skied 14.2 miles, which took 2 hours 35 minutes. Sunday was colder, windier with snow, but I skied faster by 10 minutes on the same 14.2 mile track.

Today my upper quads are talking to me and I haven't had a rest in 7 days, so I think I will replace Insanity this afternoon with Providence.

Waves hello to:

Marcy, Melissa, Rhonda & Gayle! Happy Monday!

Yippee...off topic....I got myself a Pink Nano for Valentine's Day. :eek:

Nita, C&P's are Cleans and Presses :)

I did 3 ladders x 4 rungs of C&P's and pull -ups, plus 7 minutes of snatches! I did 4 rounds with 30#. I can snatch 30#!!! :D I also did 2 consecutive rounds with a 25#. All were 10r, 10l. I didn't do weighted pull ups today because it is supposed to be a "light" day.

Nita, xc skiing sounds fun! I am super happy that there wasn't any pain anywhere. Does your DH (are you married?) ski, too? Or workout?

Deanie, regarding the "heavy" days: is that when I should try to c&p a heavier bell if I wanted to go for it? Did you read the Percy Jackson series, or just your boys? I am going to start Sea Monster this week after DS gets going on his project and can figure it out on his own. I heart this series! I wish that they had a series like this for every single mythology/time period (even though there are aleady quite a few) in history - shoot, even science! - and that they would use them in schools. Kids would LOVE to learn! They wouldn't even realize that learning's what they're doing. :D

Gotta get going now. I thought you guys would like to know that DH actually did back into their trash can. It was still out on Saturday, and the guys were parked on each side of their driveway - which is immediately across the street from us - so he hit their can so he'd have room to get out. I am feeling a little bad because he didn't knock on their door first and talk to them, but DH isn't feeling bad at all. He said that he shouldn't have to ask them to not leave their crap in the street so that their neighbors can drive or be able to get out off of their own property. I am still trying to decide if he's in the right or barbaric. Or both.

Melissa

Hi again!

Nita::: enjoy Providence!

Melissa::: Heavy days mean more ladders (5X5) not a heavier bell. When you can c&p 5X5 of one weight (kb) then you move up to the next weight. once I can c&p the 16kg with no push presses then I am going to do my days like this:
light: 3X3
moderate: 3X4
heavy: 3X5

then each week increase the ladders till I am up to:
light: 5X3
moderate: 5X4
heavy: 5X5

It may take a while, and if you look in ETK it has examples of:

if you do a heavy day of
2X5
3X4
then your moderate day would be:
5X4

or if you are doing 5X3 ladders on a heavy day, you'd do 5 singles on the light day and 5X2 on the medium day.

all of that is on page 136.:eek: HTH

Remember, never to failure!!:)

also, I read all the Percy Jackson books too! sometimes DS and I like the same stuff so when he recommends a book, I always read it... we both Loved the series!!:):)

eta: Congrats on the 30# snatch!!!! WHOO HOO!!

later:cool:

Last edited:
Good Afternoon!

Sorry I didn't check in on Friday but Atlanta had a major snowstorm (3"!) and our office closed early. Took me 2 hours to get home. It looked real pretty but it pretty much all melted away on Saturday. Here's my rundown since Friday:

Friday - Essentrics - Legs, Butt, Thighs & Abs
Lisa Nunziella - Red Hot Salsa 2

Saturday - West Coast Swing workshop (2 hours)
Sunday - 17th wedding anniversary!
Monday - 2 pullups; 2 chinups; Dove #3 workout - here's some of the workout:

yoga warmup
burpees
sequential kicks front and side
Upper body sequence - bicep curls (8#) curl and press (5#), double arm rows (8#)
Balancing side kicks (single and double time)
Straight arm lat raise (5#)
Unweighted arm section
Floorwork - crunches with 1-legged pelvic lifts
bicycle
military situp (also twisting military situp)
Scissor crunch; twisting scissor crunch
Rockabyes - rock back and forth with elbow and knees touching (doesn't sound like much but you really feel this)
Standing Oblique Crunches
Cardio like Cathe's MIC - had to stop towards the end of the 2nd set of jacks
hitch kicks
1-legged deadlifts (unweighted)
Weighted arms section again - rear delt rows (5#) instead of double arm rows
pushup pulses (3 different levels going lower each time)
leg floorwork
forearm plank; forearm plank with hip drops

Melissa - Thanks for the GOOP clip. I really have to take out her Dance Cardio and practice. I admit she's not easy to follow. I can't believe you're going to do weighted pullups. Unweighted ones are hard enough. I also think books are better than the movie. Great job on the snatches!

Deanie - Tracy is far from the best cuer but once you get her choreography down, it is a lot of fun.

Nita - Sounds like you had some great ski workouts!

Jane - Sorry about your fall. Hope you're not too scratched up. Hope you had a great shopping trip!

Waves to Gayle and Rhonda!

Marcy

Hi everybody!

Jane - I'm sorry about the bad ending to your run. :( I hope you fun shopping with mom!

Deanie - Great workout! I'm thinking about reducing the warm up sets, especially for the DL. Rip recommends 3-5 warm up sets, but I think by the time I get to the DL that many mught be too much. I'm sorry your "vacation" is coming to an end. ;)

I got ETK this morning and started reading it! Why did I wait so long to get this? It really has a lot more stuff in it than I expected. :)

Melissa - WTG on the snatches! I don't think you should feel at all bad for your DH backing into your neighbor's trash can. I'm surprised the police or someone from the town hasn't cited them yet.

Marcy - Nice workout! You officially have more snow than us...:eek: Although we are FINALLY supposed to get 2-5" tonight. :)

Nita - Awesome skiing! I'm glad to hear your shoulder held up. :) I haven't done XC skiing in a long time. Do you ski at a XC ski area or just at some trails somewhere? I love my Nano! :)

I wasn't supposed to be off work all day today, but the countertop guys took a while to template, so by the time they left there wasn't much point in making the commute. Oh, well...:)

I did a short kettlebell workout. Details:

Buy-in:
Limber up, Pavel's Pry-thingies.

TGU: alt 3r/3l @ 12kg

Swings:
5 Rounds @ 16kg
* 20 swings
* 20 sec rest

TGU: alt 3r/3l @ 8kg

More Pavel Pry-thingies

Have a good evening!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.