Kettlebell. Thursday.

Question on Frequency

Good Morning Everyone!

Sunny, pretty day here, still -7 but its going to get warmer with that sun.

I'm going to repeat Providence this morning with my afternoon Insanity and I am loving this combination. Do any of you do kettlebells every day, or is there a schedule for this such as in weight lifting where you give the muscle group a 24 hour rest? I usually listen to my body, but was wondering what you all do.

Also, Mary at Total Fitness Dvds is replacing my Lauren Brooks that I just purchased and had problems with. Talk about great customer service, she said she was shipping out another right away with a return label for the defective one. Awesome!

Hey Nita, we both posted at the same time!:)

Great customer service!! nice!....
I don't know about anyone else, but I would not do providence 2 days in a row...that just seems like too much. If you want to do kettlebells again today, I would do swings. maybe shoot for 100 swings?....

have a good one!

Hey guys, :)

I had a very rough night. I got a call around 9 last night that my grandpa was having a SECOND surgery for a burst stomach. He has ulcers, and almost 3 weeks ago his stomach just popped. He got a secondary infection in his lungs resulting from sepsis caused by the bacteria leaking from his stomach. He wasn't expected to make it through the surgery last night, but he did thank goodness. He is on a ventilator now, they also found a lump on his liver, and he has emphysema - maybe has lung cancer but they can't tell from the x-rays because of the infection in his lungs. He is stable right now. My dad doesn't want me to go up there to Chicago to see him sick - they are VERY prideful men - so I am sitting here until I finish school for the week. I will probably drive up Friday night or Saturday morning. Damn their pride!

I will get my workout in after I get Layne started with Math. ;)

See you in a few.

Melissa

((((Melissa))) glad to hear your grandpa came through the surgery well.....
I am sure your going to see him will make him feel better.

Good morning!

{{{Melissa}}} - I'm sorry about your grandpa. {{{HUGS}}}

Nita - I've heard really great things on VF about Mary's customer service. :) I'm currently doing a heavy barbell program 3x a week and using kettlebells in my buy-in/warm-up. If you're doing Providence heavy, then ITA with Deanie that 2 in a row might be a lot. However, you can go light with it and make it more cardio-ish or just do half the rounds. It's a tough workout as-is.

Deanie - I'm getting ETK. :) Great workout! WTG on the presses. :cool: LOL about the dice! My forearms ache just thinking about it.

Marcy - Awesome job on the handstands and compass pose! :cool: That's great about your weight and BF accomplishments! :)

Waves hello to Jane and Rhonda!

Tonight is workout B - squat, press, power clean. I'm gonna bite the bullet and increase my press weight.

Have a good day!

Melissa...that is how my family men are too, I completely understand your frustration right now, sending prayers and vibes your way.

Here is a very, very shortened version of Grandpa's story: Grandpa is a very prideful man and everyone in the family has a job because they worked for him in his shop. My dad took over the shop, but people still look up to Grandpa to take care of them. He is a very strong, strong man, is the oldest son/child and had to stand up and be a man early because his dad was an alcoholic. He has never shown any weakness EVER, has always taken control of everything and person in his life because of his distrust in others and he needs to know that "his" are taken care of. He also has an extremely successful metal business. Everyone has moved out of country to either India or Mexico to produce and grind metals and steel because it's cheaper, but not him. His is the only business like it left in Hammond/East Chicago/Gary, probably one of the few left in the midwest. That is such a testament to his character, leadership, people skills and determination. Everyone in the community looks up to him and admires him. He was severely depressed after my sister's visit because she saw him in a hospital bed on oxygen not able to stand up. UGH, I hate pride and vanity!!! Because of his reaction I am not so sure that I should go to see him just yet, until he is stronger.

Sorry this is a post is so long, I just really feel the need to talk about him. I was ready to give up last night because he has lived hard: drinking, smoking, gambling and women. It was bound to catch up with him and he was in very poor condition before his stomach ruptured last night as it was. My husband is such a wonderful prayer (that looks funny), though! We prayed last night and I was thanking God for the memories with my grandpa (he wasn't expected to make it through the surgery) and how I was so grateful for the final memories I had of him. I prayed like someone who had lost hope, was willing to take the doctors word for it and forget just who God is. Then Dan prays: "God, you will bring him through the surgery and allow him to live another day. Show Melissa how strong you are, show her what I know of you, and be a comfort to her and her family." Well, he said more than that, but GOD LISTENED TO HIM! My grandpa, who shouldn't have made it through the surgery, didn't even have a hiccup during it and is completely stable. Dan's childlike faith blows me away. :)

Thank you for your hugs, prayers and vibes. :)

Gayle, I wasn't sure about ETK because of workout ADD, but now that I am into I LOVE IT!

Nita, I agree with Deanie and Gayle. I would do swings, just like she said. The stronger your swing is the stronger EVERYTHING is (including other forms of cardio - your heart becomes a powerhouse!), and you don't really work it much in Providence.

Deanie, I see that you are rolling your own dice! ;) I would be afraid that I would only roll a 2 so right now I am doing what ETK tells me... unless it tells me 2 or 3, then I'll have the boys choose a number for me, lol.

I did the workout just now, 3x3. It felt about the same as Monday, and now I am even more eager for that 30# kb to get here!!! I did the swings: 25 swings with 35# bell and 10 second break in 6 minutes, and I went 6 rounds plus 29. I did morel like 15 second breaks, probably did a 20 second break in there somewhere. ;)
I was a little worried about losing strength waiting for the Ader, so as a cash out I tried to clean and press the 35# - yay, I did it! I did a 2 step ladder with pull ups. I also did 3 TGUs on each side with a windmill using a 25#. My heart recovered very quickly post-workout. This program is working exactly how Pavel said it should. :D

See you later. :)

Melissa

Hi Everyone!

Melissa ~ Thank you so much for sharing your Grandpa's story with us. He sounds like a wonderful man and so lucky to have you as his granddaughter. Please know that I will be praying for him and keeping your whole family in my thoughts and prayers.

Here is my workout for today:
2x2 = Hell
Complete 2 minutes of each exercise followed by one minute of rest in between each exercise. Choose any order you prefer to complete the exercise. Do 2 rounds!
Squats
Sit ups
Pull ups
Push ups
Jump Rope
Supermans
Box Jumps
Broad Jumps
Ball Slams
Squat Thrusts

I'm happy everyone is lovin' ETK. I have it but have never done it. Now I'm looking at it again. I'm also interested in doing the 10,000 swings in a month challenge. Lisa Shaffer did it in January and had great results. I'm also looking at doing a 1/2 marathon in October.

Nita ~ I'm in agreement with everyone else regarding Providence.

Marcy ~ Great job on the handstands and compass pose. WTG!!!

Deanie ~ Hope you are enjoying your snow days.

Waving hello to Gayle and Rhonda!

Good Afternoon!

I did 3 pullups, 3 chinups, upper body work from Squeeze and Fat Burning Fusion. Didn't think I was going to like Fat Burning Fusion but I did. I guess this was an accurate title - my HR was between 70 and 85% for almost the whole workout. I liked the balance work in this and my balance was pretty good today.

Melissa - Glad your grandfather came through surgery. ((((HUGS)))) He sounds like a wonderful person. Good job on the 35# clean and press! My DH is a machinist and it's been very hard for him to find work. All the manufacturing jobs have been sent overseas. I'm sure the economy would bounce back if they just brought manufacturing back. My DH has over 30 years experience but that doesn't matter because there's just nothing out there and there seems to be less and less each day.

Nita - Mary is #1 in customer service. If ever you order from her again, use the code 10off and you'll get 10% off (don't know if you knew this already). I also agree doing Providence 2 days in a row would be too much. You should try and pick a more cardio-based workout like Lauren's.

Gayle - Good luck with the increased weights tonight!

Jane - Hell is a real good name for your workout! Hope you have a great one tonight!

Deanie - Great workout! So how much snow did you get yesterday?

Waves to Rhonda!

Marcy

good afternoon strong women of the kettlebell thread!!
.......okay, I may be a little bored/stir crazy at this point!!:p

Marcy::: I totally missed your post yesterday!:eek::eek: I think we posted at the same time! Awesome job on the yoga practice!!! You are like the bendy woman from The Incredibles!!LOL Glad you enjoyed todays workout. We ended up with 10+ inches from Tues/Wed. storm....but we already had over two feet from Saturdays storm!!! WILD! The boys are really enjoying it! They spent 4 hours today in it having the Biggest Best Snowball fight EVER!!

Jane::: I think your workout for today is aptly named!!! 2 minutes of squats:eek: to start and then 2 min. of squat thrusts to finish!!!:eek: And then do it all over again!!!!WOWZA! Can't wait to hear how you made out!:)

Melissa:: your grandpa sounds amazing and yes, very proud! I can see why! I think your DH's childlike faith is wonderful! Everyone should have faith like that!...pure and unjaded. WTG with the 35# presses!!

Gayle/Jane::: You
need ETK!!:p LOL!....really it is an awesome program- with no boredom factor!

Gayle
::: Good luck increasing your weights. I'm sure you'll be fine! Do you have a spotter for the heavy weights you use? I read your story about what a nice guy your DH is on the o.d. forum.... I love that he put a pastry in your car for you!!!! very cute story.

Nita::: What did you end up doing today?

waves to Rhonda!
Have a great evening everyone!

Whoa its later then I thought...

Melissa - that was a wonderfully-written description of your grandfather and a glimpse into your family experiences, it probably wasn't easy for you while you were typing that out, but thank you for sharing that.

I listened to you all and skipped Providence today, but try and stop me tomorrow....:p....no seriously, I am getting into the joy-joy of it and have to be wise also. I ended up working out on my TRX and doing my next installment of Insanity.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.