<---Kettlebell check in- Thursday--->

deanie

Cathlete
Good Morning

today I wanted to do the swinging Annie that Gayle did the other day. I tried and tried to do those double under things with my regular jumprope (got tangled up!) couldn't get it, but used the trying as my warm up. So I did the workout with my manila rope (weighs four pounds) and my 45#kb. It only took me 9:06 minutes. It was really hard!! But 9ish minutes?? I didn't know what to do next.... I planned on a half hour workout. So I thought about a rope tabata, but the boys were still sleeping and I didn't want to wake them up.... I wanted to swing my 45#kb, because its been a while....so I ended up doing the "death by kettlebell" workout. 1 minute/1 swing, 2 min./2 swings, etc. I ended up doing 20 swings again, all were 2 handed but the last 3 (not even sure if they count) also, I was running out of time so the first 10 I did a swing every 30 seconds (1 swing/30 seconds, 2 swings at the 30 second mark, 3 swings at the 30 second mark, etc. ) so I probably really messed up that workout too:mad:

I think tomorrow I am going to try the run/box jumps X5 that I messed up last week.

Gayle::: I give you a lot of credit doing the swinging annie with the double unders and kb!! tough workout! How're the strawberry/rasberry plants coming?

Rhonda::: Welcome back!! Missed you! sounds like you had a wonderful vacation!!! Hope you enjoyed Providence last night.

Missy::: I like your creativity with Providence!:)

Marcy::: Great workout yesterday!

waves to Jane and Andilynn!!

Have a great day:cool:

Deanie - Good job tackling both of those WODs! Double unders are REALLY hard!! I think they are a genuine skill, like getting good at cartwheels or handstands or stuff like that. I takes me forever to do them. When I did Swinging Annie, it took me almost 8 minutes to get through the first 50 double-unders.

CrossFit had Buddy Lee do a bunch of lectures on jumping rope, and they have some video from them on their site: http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/excercise.html#Jump

One method he talks about for double unders is doing something like 3 single jumps, then do a double under, and build it into a rhythm. On a good day, I can do a 1 single/1 double rhythm for maybe 5 or 6 double unders before getting tangled. I gotta tell ya, by the end of the workout it's a LOT of total jumping. :eek:

Jane - How was your run?

Missy - I really like your tweaks to Providence! The pushups between rounds sounds tough. As for lifting heavy, I started out reeeeeally light on all of these lifts and added a little weight every week. I really want to see Star Trek now, thanks for the review! :)

Marcy - Nice workout, and good job with your run. I still think running is just about the hardest cardio!

Rhonda - Sounds like you had a cool vacation! Have fun with Providence...and you don't need any kindergarten class, my dear. :)

Hi Andilynn!

I'm heading to the gym tonight, but still a little undecided on what to do. I'm looking at CF 603's "Beg for Grace" WOD from a few days ago, but may scale it.

Have a good day!

Good Afternoon!

I decided to do yoga again today. It was my first time doing Total Strength from Mark Blanchard's new series. As always, Mark is tough. I felt pretty good through most of it although sometimes Mark gets me to do things I never thought possible:

Handstand - attempted without much luck
Forearm stand - attempted and had a little bit better luck
Headstand - Great!
Levitation holds with straight legs - tough! Managed to do a few but only hold for a second or two. I believe Cathe does these in STS Ab Circuits.
1 Legged Boat - Good!
And for my crowning achievement:

I was able to jump back from crow into plank twice! Never was able to do that before.

Deanie - Thanks for the video clip. Looks like a great move which I will definitely try out.

Rhonda - Welcome back! Sounds like you had a great trip. At least you got 8 miles in.

Gayle - Running will always be hardest form of cardio!

Waves to Andilynn, Missy and Jane!

Marcy

Hi everyone

So I didn't do Providence. Didn't have any energy :(. Did two segments of stretch this morning. Hope to do Providence today or tomorrow.

Deanie-Great workout this morning! I may try the jumping rope this summer.

Gayle- Have a great workout this evening. Thanks for the kindergarten promotion. Maybe I need a 5th grade check in? :).

Marcy- Why do you post these great sounding workouts? It just makes me want to add to the collection :). Sounds like you had a good workout.

Waves to Jane, Missy, and Andilynn

Hey Eveyone!

My run was good last night but my glutes are killing me for some reason.

Tonight I'm doing the following workout.

Conditioning Ladder
10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 reps
Kettlebell Swings
Slam Ball
Kettlebell Thrusters
Jump Rope (100, 90, 80, 70, etc.)
Burpees

I'm using my 44# bell for Swings and will do double arm thrusters.

Deanie ~ I can't do those double unders. I just use my weighted jump rope and do regular ones.

Gayle ~ Hope you have a great workout on whatever you decide to do.

Rhonda ~ Welcome back! You belong in this check-in!!!

Marcy ~ Congratulations on doing your crow to plank move. I'm not sure what that is :eek: (well I know what a plank is) but congrats just the same! It always feels good when you have accomplishments like that.

Waves hello to Missy and Andilynn

Hi all! :)

I am whipped today! I woke up this morning and couldn't believe how sore my upper body was - e.v.e.r.y.w.h.e.r.e. I didn't realize just how many muscles pushups really use. Also, we had a Lost season finale party last night and didn't get to bed until late and I had to get up early to babysit my nephew today - all day. He is still here, he is in his terrible threes and I have used all of the energy I've left to keep him in line. I am t-i-r-e-d. So today is another rest I guess, if you can call it that. ;)

Deanie, death by kettlebell sounds totally appropriate! I think that I will tack that on to my SIM workout tomorrow.

Gayle, Beg For Grace? Lol, who comes up with these names? Seriously, only crazy people would want to attempt something named "Death by Kettlebell", "Beg for Grace" or even "Sorry. Now Run"... and it sounds so good to me!!! so what does that say about our character?

Marcy, what other yoga instructors do you like besides Blanchard? Is he more athletic or purist type yoga? I have and LOVE Eion Finn, Rainbeau Mars and Bryan Kest. How does he compare? Congrats on being able to jump back from crow - I have tried and tried and have never been able to do it! Great job!!!

Rhonda, I hope you enjoy your extended "vacay"! ;)

Jane, I hope that your glutes are able to get through that workout you have planned, it looks like a toughie. Do you do 10 of each exercise and then 9 of each, etc. or do you stick with the ladder for one exercise before you move onto the next?

Have a great evening everyone! See you all in the morning. :)

Missy

Farmer - I hope you have more energy tomorrow although stretching's always a good thing in my book.

Jane - Here's a picture of crow pose:

http://yoga.about.com/od/yogaposes/a/crow.htm

Are you going to be able to do burpees after that workout? Good luck!

Missy - Thanks! I've been trying crow to plank for awhile now and it's been really frustrating. I finally figured out, you have to balance above the elbows, so you have the room to jump back (aside from having the strength). Blanchard is power yoga at its most challenging (and athletic) (no spiritual type stuff here). I don't really care for his personality, but he does give one intense workout. I also love David Swenson (the master of ashtanga), Shiva Rea, Tilak Pyle, Eoin Finn, Baron Baptiste, Deb Dobbins, Jennifer Lynn and Erich Schiffmann. When I want a really tough practice, I usually go to Blanchard or Swenson. Now that I can do crow to plank, I might attempt David's Primary Series again. I haven't done Rainbeau Mars but I would say Mark is more challenging than Eoin's PY4H and Bryan's Energize, Tone & Sweat. Mark does more arm balances than both of them. I haven't done Bryan in a long time but he was my first yoga DVD.

I'd say after 200 pushups, you deserve a rest day!

Marcy

Marcy - Thanks for sending me the info on the Crow Plank. Congrats! It looks hard!!

I'm doing the burpees because I'm only doing 10 at one time so I think I can manage it.

Missy - I'm doing my workout circuit style so I'll do 10 swings, 10 slam balls, 10 thrusters, etc and then 9 and so on.

Whew! I'm still feeling STS legs disc 14 and I did it Tuesday nite! I ended up taking a rest day yesterday because I was so sore ! This one really packs a punch. Tonite was cardio and I did Cardio Party 3 from turbo jam and used the weighted gloves. It was a nice break and really loosened up my DOMS so for tomorrow I'll be back to STS!

Waves to all!:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.