June 09 Check in Wednesday 10th

Kathy36

Cathlete
Good Morning ladies...

Getting us started today...

Today's workout for me will be something cardio with weights. I was considering doing a FIRM workout...Maybe Aerobic Body Shaping....I like that one!!

We had a big thunderstorm last night with lots of lightning. So, Lauren's softball game got cancelled last night..It was already a makeup game from another cancelled game...Oh, all the rain lately!!!

Today the kids have a swim playdate at a friends house..Other than that just the normal housecleaning and getting ready for the inlaws that are coming Friday...

Be back later...

Hey Kathy! AND all...

On my way to do my workout now, even though I'm dragging this morning... Last night threw me big time. I was still up at 10pm watching "Rescue Me", and Zach comes down and says his blood sugar feels low. He checks it, it's 32!!!!!:eek: It makes me feel like throwing up just typing that!. If he wasn't already up, and I waited until midnight, he could have been out, like permantly out. :confused: ... Oh my.

Anyhow, I'm on my way to do a premix from SJP/Step Blast, "Weights and Step". Not sure I've done this premix before, so I'm kind of excited!...

BBL!

Good morning!

Chris, that blood sugar incident is very scary!!! Wow. Sounds like you and Kathy will both have fun with workouts this morning!! I really need to go back and check your circuit rotation -- what was it called again? And when will you start the FF summer rotation? Maybe we should do it together! Since I'm winging things, I can change it up whenever you're ready.

I had a really disturbing night of sleep again -- waking up and strange/bad dreams, though my dad did make an appearance in one, so that part was good! I woke up around 2am very hungry, and I thought about Joanne resisting her hunger, but I did not! I got up and had a slice of bread on the theory that the carb would help me sleep. I've not been doing the potato lately, and I know you think I'm nuts, but I think that's why my sleep has not been so great. Potato on tap for tonight!!!

So, when my alarm went off...... I stayed in bed. Hottie, were you sending me messages?! I got up about 40 minutes later and did a 30 minute kettlebell workout -- definitely a good cardio factor there -- average heart rate was 133 for that 30 minutes. I had intended on doing kbells with abs and/or a long stretch -- those things went undone. Maybe later I'll try to do Tracy abs.

Another sort of crazy day with helping at school on top of early dismissal, and somehow getting to work for a while in between! Have a good one! Kathy, crazy about the thunderstorm -- Chris, is it less dreary today? Hottie, we still haven't had rain here, but it just keeps seeming like it's going to. Definitely does not feel like June!

Hi Joanne! Hi Vilma! Have a great day everyone.....

-Beth

Chris, that is just so scary. I got a queasy feeling just reading that about Zach. Is there any kind of alarm for when his sugar gets too low, or do you just have to check it at regular intervals? The step and weights premix sounds fun. I love Rescue Me! I have it DVR'd - hopefully I can watch it tonight.

Beth, OK, screaming crotches and vibrating eardrums??? :) You had me cracking up last night! LOL. I didn't get a chance to reply, but I think I've done the BM2 boot camp premix, but can't remember what it was like. Not much help, huh? The funny thing is, I was going to do it this morning after reading your post last night 'cause you got me curious. But I couldn't find it! My DVDs have gotten all out of order and I was trying to read the labels with my 40-something year old eyes in the semi-dark trying not to wake DH. I did see KCM's bootcamp and did that instead. I loved it today! I remember not liking it too much the first time I did it, but I must have been having a bad day. Today it was fun. The rotation Chris is doing is Circuit City - September 07, I think. It's on the 1st or 2nd page in the rotations forum now. I'm thinking of starting it next week, but I might sub other workouts since I have new stuff I want to try. FF's summer rotation looks good too. Sometimes when I wake up starving like that I'll drink water and it helps. I don't think you're crazy for eating a potato before bed - whatever works!!

Kathy, our boys aren't playing baseball this year, but some of their friends are and they've had a ton of rainouts. They're running out of days to make up the games. Crazy weather. It's raining here again today.

I feel much more together today. I got my workout in this morning and I slept like a rock. DH didn't snore so much, or he did and I was just so exhausted nothing would keep me up.

Poor Ian yesterday. MIL was watching the kids for us. If you're queasy, don't read any more! I guess he was out playing and tripped over our neighbors big rock. He scraped up his shin from the bottom of his knee all the way down. Looks just horrible. MIL could only find one bandaid, so he has this foot long scrape down his leg with one lone bandaid in the middle. I couldn't even look at it without my stomach turning. He said it didn't even hurt. I know I'd be crying!

Waves to everyone else!!

BBL...

Joanne

Checking back in with FIRM Aerobic Body Shaping done....

Beth: I am not sure if I have done that premix..If it was on a rotation I probably did. Otherwise, probably not..Let us know how it is. Maybe I can put it on my schedule next week..

Chris: Scary about the blood sugar level...Enjoy that workout today..I like that one. I haven't done it in a while...

Joanne: Yes, the rain has made Lauren and Chris miss so many games. Chris' league accounts for 10 and schedules I think it was 14 or so. So, we aren't making up those games. His tournament starts on Saturday and they have to loose twice before they are out...Big hugs to Ian..that sounds painful!!

Actually, Beth...I was. It's funny how it works that way.

CLX is both interesting and frustrating for me right now. So yesterday, I was a totally evil person and the visiting prof just disappeared 10 minutes before the spinning class. I put an honest to god effort into finding him but then bolted after leaving him a note so thankful that my crotch wasn't going to be in pain. I then did a short easy elliptical run and tried to repeat the CLX exercises from BC#1 and it was a TON better. I attributed it to picking up the right weights and knowing WTH I was doing. Last night, I was just grumpy and sorta down so I tried to go to bed early which = 10p. I previewed really fast Kelly Coffey Meyer Step Kickboxing but only the vertical step portion. The plan was to wake up early and do the warmup and the vertical step portion and do CLX because I really don't feel warm with the CLX warmups. Well, I heard the alarm and thought of you again Beth. I thought of trying to get up but was having a bit of a hard time. I did eventually drag my a$$ out thinking Evee was going to like the company but I find the lazy dog sleeping on the couch! But she was very polite and waited for me to make and eat my breakfast (ONE sour milk pancake). I DID do the vertical step portion (only on 6 inches) without feeling too stupid. I think if I learn the routine it can be really fun but -- there were moments where I was really proud of myself for getting all the steps and then there were moments where my brain farted completely on me. I then switched to CLX but got frustrated a little over halfway through because I was picking the wrong weights and I wasn't doing the timing right. I swear, having all those people at different times and the camera switching makes me screw it up. Joe finished it (I managed to drag his lazy butt of the computer) but I just showered and got ready for work. I brought the guidebook in so I could drop by the school gym and do the exercises there without the confusing bodies! Ah well...

Kathy -- I'm sorry for all the rain! It's been a great June Gloom down here but I think its really good because people aren't wasting so much water or electricity to cool themselves off. Sounds like you had fun with your workout though...

Chris -- I thought of you last night when I was watching Rescue Me (I just got into it). I unfortunately wasn't watching it too closely because I was in the kitchen being grumpy but that's what the DVR is for. That's so terrifying about the blood sugar! Why did it get so low? Is it a medication thing?

Beth -- I hate getting dreams. I never sleep well. It's never, ohhh, jason statham, its so nice that your'e interested in me, its more like, my worst nightmares at work or people trying to chase me or something. Sounds like another crazy day. I LOL when I read about the spinning crotch last night too. I think I've only done BM2 pure or just the cardio blast. So, i'm no help either. I hope you get rain soon again. We get sprinkles here or there, nothing too huge...though..

Oh, this was funny (evee story). We did have a big thunderstorm the day I got really sick. I was home and Joe went back to work. Evee was whining to go outside but I barely could move at that point but I hobbled and put her on that leash that has a stake to the ground because we didn't build the fence yet. Anyway, she's outside hanging and this really loud thunder comes -- the lightning was pretty bright too so it must of been pretty close. Anyway, Evee is scared sh*tless and she just starts running to the house at full speed without realizing that the leash will only take her to the back door so full speed dog and then rebounded back because of the leash and then it was this yelp. I couldn't help but laugh. I hobbled back to her and if you could see her face...it was like, "HOW COULD YOU DO THIS TO ME!??! LET ME IN NOW!!!!"

Joanne -- OUCH for Ian. My mom couldn't handle looking at other people scrapes either. She would always say she felt the pain herself. How many DVDs do you guys have? I only have a small little rack of Cathe DVDs...though when I made Cathe SIGN EVERY SINGLE COVER she remarked that she was impressed...(with how much money I dumped into her)....erm...that I had already accumulated so many. I'm glad you got some sleep. I learned that if I'm next to someone snoring, I turn their shoulder ever so slightly, they tend to naturally move into a new position themselves and it can stop the snoring btw. Doesn't always work but maybe 75% of the time with me. Or you can get him those nose strip things that improve inhalation. Or Tully can lick him to death. Pick one. :)

Oh, its going to be a long day...

Hey again! ...

More peeps to chat with

I did the Weights & Cardio Premix from SJP/SB. If was "fun"! Well, I wasn't saying that when I'm down for those squats & lunges, 8 Reps, 4 Slow, 2 Low Ends of 7, 2 Low Ends of 3, 4 Slow, and then 8 FAST!!:eek: Stop already!!!!! The step was fun though, ending with the Step Blast Challenge with the blasts in the middle...

Beth: Yes, the rotation is the Sept 07 one, Circuit City. Even though this is my last week of 4, I was going to do 2 more weeks of it (maybe the last 2, I liked those better.) and THEN do Fitness Freaks Summer 09 Rotation. Wanna do that with me? I just want to start a rotation back to the first week of the month. I feel weird being in the middle! :eek:... Sorry about your crappy night of sleep, What is with us girls and our sleep?? Mine is out of my control really with the sugar checks, though. ... I do enjoy dreaming about my father. Maybe all this talk of it will get me to see him soon. .. Good for you for doing your KB's! I know you like them!! Is this the first time you've done them in forever?.... It is still dreary here. It's cloudy, no rain though. Which I guess I should be happy about. The sun has tried to peak through a few times, but nada. :( I'm hoping tomorrow is dry at least, I do want to get a run in!!.... I was also LMAO about your "spinning crotch" yesterday! Too funny! Sounds like an adult toy !!... And YES!, that is SUPER gross about the lost and found stuff. GAG!!! Cat pee STINKS!!!! I'm not a good one with smells either...... Oh, and i've never done that BM2 Bootcamp premix. It does sound intereting though, if you do it, let us know what it is!

Joanne: I swear sometimes Zach's blood sugars are a total crap shoot. There really wasn't a big reason he should have gone that low. I still feel sick about it, and it makes me worry more. I was so freaked out last night, I gave him 2 glasses of juice and made him eat PB crackers , and his blood sugars ended up being HIGH all night. *sigh* ... OH! Another Rescue Me fan!! I love that show! Did you see the episode a few weeks ago when he and his wife went to the daughter's school and the wife got drunk and was ragging on those rich parents? ("You really shouldn't wear yellow, children might climb aboard you mistaking you for a bus").. And the sex scene at that Bed & Breakfast?? I was LMAO!! .... Oh cool you'll start Circuit City too! I like the general outline, and subbing too. It's just cardio and circuits alternating..I like on Saturdays it's a shorter cardio. ... OMG, I can only imagine that scrape! You know a few years ago I tripped up a step and scraped my shin, and it was THE most freakin painful thing ever! I swear, I would have accepted narcotics for the pain if I could have. I don't know how kids get all banged up and act like it's nothing!

Kathy: I know, Zach's baseball is way behind too. they've had very little practices, all canceled because of rain, and they are trying to make up games now. Their team is actually in 2nd place! ... Hi-5's on your workout today! It is fun getting forgotten workouts in!!

Hottie: You are really turning me off from CLX now. Not that I planned on ordering soon. I just kind of wondered if I was missing out on something and maybe I would some time in the future. I hate not knowing weights and feeling confused, esp during WEIGHT workouts. ... Rescue Me is quite a different show, I really like Denis Leary, I hate when he's drinking (on the show) though. Some of the crap they say and do. Wow. Did you see last week when they were talking about the name of the band? And it was called "Hot Lunch" and then the other guy said no way he'd join the band if it was called that because of the MEANING of "hot lunch". Oh my GAWD! Helllo!... Your poor Evee!!! YOu guys with dogs should really read that book, "The Art of Racing in the Rain", you'd love it! and it is NOT sad!!

Okay, better do something constructive. .. or maybe not...

Chris -- it sounds like you had a great workout. I hope I'm not prematurely bitching about CLX. It's possible that I've never gone that heavy before so I'm not feeling it the right way. But the timing thing really is getting to me. They have this rep counter on the bottom right of the screen but everyone really is going at different speeds so its all discombobulating to me. I know I should pick my own speed but when I see people in front of me, it makes it easier for me to go slower and more controlled, having them all do their own thing just confuses me. And since they don't fix the camera angle, I can't even pick one person. I hope I get over this. Joe didn't take to that part either but he was also picking better weights for himself so he felt better through it. But I like the idea of it -- compound exercises with heavy weights. So, give me another week or two and then we'll see how it settles. If anything, I would like this to be a training step to STS when we get it later this year (hopefully for soemone's bday in august). I'm a fan of Denis Leary too...sometimes, I think its nice to hear someone talk the way I think. :) Though, I sort of feel the writers do this: let Leary be Leary and write for all the actors around him. But I watch it -- it's a nice combination of funny and drama and interesting plot line. The hot lunch part of the show had that combination of laughing and cringing at the same time. My favorite character though is Franco. Did you know he played Christian in Cyrano opposite of Kevin Klein and Jennifer Garner. Such a switch!

Hottie, you are freakin' hilarious!! So, did your note to the prof say that you were thankful your crotch wasn't going to be in pain?? ;) KCM's stepboxing is tough to get at first - she cues so fast. But I think the vertical part is harder than the horizontal, so you did good! I know what you mean about CLX. You can't follow along with the counter - it just doesn't flow. I can't remember - does Chalene tell you what weights she is using? I think she does and I used less than her, but more than the girl on the right. Layla? Once I got the move down, it didn't look at the screen at all. I think there is a disk that goes through all the moves slowly and teaches them to you. Did you get that? Check your package - it might help to watch it. Poor Evee!! Tully will do the same thing when she's on her long cable in the front yard if she sees a dog across the street. Run like mad and then get yanked back 'cause she forgets she's attached! She's terrified of storms and hates rain. She refuses to go out even in a drizzle. I don't know how she can hold it for more than a day, but she does. Um, I have lots of DVDs. Do I have to say a number? Probably close to 200. That's obnoxious, isn't it?? Sometimes I will try to roll DH over or shift him. Except then he wakes up and turns on the TV. :( Tully licking him to death is an option. ;) I am going to invest in some earplugs, though. He'd never wear the strips, because he insists HE DOES NOT SNORE! Yea, right, try to sleep with yourself sometime!!

Oh, oh, guess what?? Franco grew up about a mile from where I live now. Cool, huh? Except I'm old enough to probably be his mother! So, obviously I never knew him. I do love that show.

Chris, Yes, the episode where they went to the school was hilarious. I don't like that he is drinking again, though. Nothing good can come out of that. How about the scene with Sheila seducing him. I like how most shows would have him doing the right thing and bolting out of there, but no, this tells it like it is - he's a man and is going to take advantage of the situation! I'm definitely going to look for the Art of Racing in the Rain book. I need "not sad!"

I'm off work tomorrow so MIL doesn't wear herself out with our kids. She's there again today - hopefully no injuries! I'm thinking of taking the kids to see Up. Anyone see it?

The race results from my 5K Sunday were posted and I was 5th in my age group!! Even better is the race raised $40,000 for the hospital and for the new juvenile diabetes center.

Better go...lots to do here!

Joanne

Hottie: "Premature bitching".. you do make me LOL!. I understand that some workouts (actually ANY workout other than Cathe's) can be hard to get into and takes a bit of adjusting to. I'll keep my ear out for updates from you! ... I swear, I think most of what comes out of Tommy Gavin's mouth IS Denis Leary, no? There's another book you should read, the last one he wrote.. "Why We Suck"..HILARIOUS!.. Yes, I also think most of the show is funny/cringey. Like last night's comments about the brother's "green diarrhrea"...Oohhh ... :confused: . OMG, I'm in love with Franco..HE is a HOTTIE! Yum!

Joanne
: First, you made tears well up in my eyes when you said how much money your raised and what it was for. You know it's a soft spot for me! Thank YOU!! I think it's wonderful that there would be a Center for kids with JD. And WTG on coming in 5th !! That's tremendous!!!! ...Oh yeah.. the number of DVDs I own. I want to say around 200 too.Some of those are ones that I've grown 'out of', I'm not even sure what to do with. .... OH MY! Does Franco's family still live around there? there are a few I wouldn't care if they were young enough to be my kid, and he's one of them. Does that make me a "cougar"?? LOL!.. .. I know, sometimes I look at Tommy Gavin and really think he MAY do the "right" thing and walk away. But he never does! Very true to most men's characters, I agree!

Oh hey, I posted this on FB, but thought I'd share it here too. My brother took this picture of Zach last night at his game. He has done sports photography for years (yearbooks, newspapers, etc), so you'll understand how he got such a great shot!

Attachments

• Zachary.jpg2.jpg
    Zachary.jpg2.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 5
Wow, so much to reply to! First things first.... for those snorers who won't admit to snoring.... pinch their nose. They will not wake up, but they will start breathing more through their mouth and you will get some sleep! I learned that trick in college with one of my four apartment-mates, who snored so loudly we all heard her! I have to do it to Larry occasionally. He tells me I snore so loudly that the bed rattles. :eek: I have not taught him my trick!!:D

I will let you know if I try the boot camp premix -- I really wanted more of a traditional type of boot camp with cardio/weights interspersed (which is my recollection of what bm2 is after the long step portion at the start, isn't it? It's been so long since I've done the whole thing!). The boot camp premix is 78 minutes, which is also about what I recall the original workout being, so maybe they just rearranged it! I don't know. Netflix screwed up again and is sending me firm super cardio mix, so I may do that. I figured out the screwup -- the button that says "move to the top of the queue" doesn't always seem to really move it.

Oh, Hottie, yes, I worked at Silicon Graphics, back in the day -- when they were on the top of the game and all -- Jurassic Park era. It was a blast! I was at MIPS when they acquired us, so I was there from '92-'99 when Travis was born. I got laid off while I was on maternity leave (after begging and pleading for it, because they were giving out good packages at that point). So funny that you asked, because just yesterday at the first grade picnic I saw an SGI hat on one of the moms, and we had never connected the fact that we both worked there. It's really strange, but it seems like there's a large percentage of people living in the mountains where I do who used to work at SGI.

So Chris, you want to start FF's rotation at the start of July? Anyone else in? It works for me. Oh, did anyone see on vf forum someone asked about doing STS meso 2 as one body part per day, and adding in cardio? Another possibility, I guess.

I did not see Cathe on qvc -- I hope to watch the clip later.

Joanne, awesome news on the 5K! Both your results and the money raised.

Dogs can be such funny 'fraidy cats, can't they? Funny about Evee and the thunder.

Re: CLX -- I think I didn't watch the screen much, once I knew what she was doing.

Ok, back to work here.....

-Beth

Chris, I actually did think of you and Zach when I was running (and running out of steam!). About how kids like him with JD and other kids who are at the Children's Hospital have such a hard time of it. I didn't say that before cause it sounded kind of sappy ;), but I think that's why I did so well. And, also thought about what the hospital has done for Caitlyn. OK, now I'm getting tears!! Good - you have as many DVDs as me! I don't feel so bad. ;) I have lots that I never do, but always think, well, maybe someday.... You know, I don't know if his family still lives there. I saw a story about him and it said where he was from. If he's cashing in on his success and helping out his family, then, no, they probably don't live there anymore! That picture of Zach is great!! He's so cute!

Beth, too funny - OK, pinching his nose it is! I might get whacked, though, if he wakes up! So, you are a bed rattler?? :) BM2 just normal is a step workout (about 15-20 minutes after warm-up I think), then four cycles of step, interval and a lower body exercise. Then upper body mostly on a stability ball. I might try it out Friday. I'm going to be on vacation for two weeks in July, so I won't be starting FF's rotation. I'll probably do the Circuit City one until we leave. I'm a bit anxious about two weeks with no formal workouts. I may bring my laptop and a couple DVDs, but I'm not sure if there's even room to workout. I'll definitely do some running, though.

Beth: Hey , just do BM2! It will kick your butt! but it is a long one...that's the only thing. ... Yes! I can start FF's Summer Rotation the first week of July, is that like the week of the 6th? One body part per day? Hmmm. I've never done that. Maybe after FF's... so many options! HA!

Joanne: Ahhhhh... you are very sweet! You've been through so much with Caitlyn too, it's way more extreme than what Zach has been through so far, but it is a lifetime thing you just can't blow off or "forget", ever. .. Oh my God, yes, I have sooo many DVDs. A bunch I never use are Pilates and Yoga ones. I don't know why I buy them! because I never seem to have the time or the desire to do them. They just "sound" nice! LOL!... . Where is vacation this year? I don't know what I'll do at Hershey Park either. I mean, there will be a ton of walking. My youngest son (7)is so funny, he asked if we could bring my weighted vest, so *HE* could work out with it. :eek: Funny boy! he watched Cathe's QVC thing this morning too, and was sold! I guess I could make it an "active recovery" week too. I know they'll have a dreadmill there, not sure I can bring myself to do it though. LOL!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.