Jogglers July 2014

lioness

Cathlete
I hope it's ok that I started a new thread.

I did my race on Saturday morning. It was mainly a trail race with a bit of pavement at the beginning and end. The course was shady, thank goodness as it was about 80 degrees. I did better than last week and managed to beat my sister this time by 2 seconds. My time way off but I figured it was the heat. My sister and I managed to place 2nd and 3rd in our age group. I found out this afterwards as we did not stay for the awards ceremony. The race director is mailing our medals. YIPPEE!!

Sunday was an 8 mile run. Yesterday was a total body weight workout that I did last Monday. It's actually Muscle Endurance but I changed some things around. It was over 90 degrees yesterday with a heat index of 100. We were sweating like crazy but the heat didn't bother me as the humidity was low.

Tonight is a rest day. I am getting my haircut after work.

Happy July!

Last edited:
It is okay to start a new thread

Jane congratulations on your metals. I like trail races.

Tricia how are things?

Yesterday I did some tai chi. I noticed my right arm was feeling a bit numb and weird so I think I need to see my chiropractor. I made my appointment for Thursday.

However my arm is feeling a bit better today.

I went to a book club meeting last night. That was fun. We don't all read the same books but we already sci-fi so that's good. I plan to exercise tomorrow. Petra Kolber dance off belly fat.

I am going for a hot run tonight. Right now it's 95 with a heat index of 101.

Alisha ~ How is your arm?

Hi Tricia!

Went to see the chiropractor today. My arm is doing much better. He says that my right and left sides of my body are not talking to each other. This is most distressful for person who used to play violin. They're supposed to be coordinated. That's what I do, coordination. I feel like a fish out of water now.

BTW, my last post didn't make a whole Lotta sense, I guess Siri didn't hear me. There was no work out on my iPhone. I worked out yesterday, and I did a DVD with tai chi on it. That was great.

Jane you could not get me to work out in heat that is 95°. That just wouldn't happen. I am always impressed when you do this crazy stuff.

I intended to work out this morning, but I had a migraine instead. I took some ibuprofen and a nap instead. I plan to hike tomorrow with my dad.

Ouch

I went for a long hike this morning with my dad. Then, I went to breakfast with my friends. I mildly twisted my left ankle and overstretched some connective tissue on that side of my foot. I am resting with ice on it now. I hope to be back at it by Tuesday or Wednesday. I'm tired of hurting myself every time I'm able to work out, I only get one workout in and then I get hurt again. This is stupid.:mad:

I hope that your Fourth of July holiday was good.:)

Hi ladies!

Alisha - Glad your arm is better, but hate that you keep getting injuries! {{{HUGS}}} and healing to you! Hope you got rid of your migraine!

Jane - Nice work on your race! I couldn't work out in the heat any more either! Yikes! It takes time to acclimate!

I haven't been on much because whatever is going on with my muscle spasms under my left shoulder blade hurts so much whenever I'm on the computer. I can't even use my iPad. Work is horrible! I do so much better when I work out or golf. Go figure. I think it's the standing. Weird. PT doesn't seem to be helping and I'm so tired of being in pain all the time! Laying flat on my back also seems to minimize the pain and almost eliminate it, but as soon as I sit and start doing anything, I'm in pain again. Ibuprofen, heat, ice - nothing really helps. I think I'm going to have to call my doctor. I doubt she'll order an MRI, but I think I need one. Something's going on. Maybe I'll try a deep tissue massage, too.

I started a new rotation on Friday. We took some friends out sailing on Saturday. It was the day after the tropical storm went past and the winds were pretty high, but at least we moved! lol I was nervous, but it was nice having someone to help with the sails! I would NOT have been out there if we hadn't had others on the boat with us. I couldn't have handled the sails on my own. It was hard enough to hold the boat steady into the wind while the guys were getting the main up! After that, things went pretty smoothly. We anchored between two islands out of the chop. It was still a bit windy, but nice. Chilly though! Only in the low 70s. The guys went swimming and me and Elena just stayed on the boat soaking in the sun as best we could.

My mom isn't doing well. She is really deteriorating mentally according to my brother and sister. I really need to get down there and see her.

The pups are doing well and we survived the 4th! It rained all day and night Friday, so they had the fireworks last night. Oddly, Peanut didn't react. I wonder if her hearing is starting to go? She usually totally freaks out.

Well, gonna sign off. I'll be back. I promise! I really wish I could go a few days with absolutely no pain at all, but I don't think that's going to happen. I've been dealing with this for over a month now.

Happy Monday!

I am off work today. I have to take my mom to her PT appointment. Usually my sister takes her but she it out of town.

I took a rest day on Thursday. On Friday morning I did a running and weight workout. It was about 5 degrees cooler and it felt wonderful. Funny how 5 degrees makes a difference. In the afternoon I went swimming.

On Saturday I was at mom's most of the day but went swimming again in the afternoon. When I got home, my legs were so sore probably because of the workout on Friday and swimming.

On Sunday I went on a 8 mile run. My legs hurt but loosen up for the run. I came home and did some yard work but my legs were sore most of yesterday.

Tonight will be an upper body workout.

I have no tips for running in the heat. You have to get used to it, go slow and take it easy. I do think it makes me stronger so when fall comes I'll be good to go.

Alisha ~ I'm sorry about your ankle. I do that all the time. I hope it heals quickly. I hope you had a good 4th in spite of your arm and ankle.

Tricia ~ Hugs to you and your family. I'm sending you lots of healing energy. I hope you feel better too. I think they should do an MRI so at least you know what you are dealing with and the course of treatment. I'm glad you had fun sailing.

Greetings!

I took a rest day yesterday. Tonight will be a 3-4 mile run. I'm guessing 3 miles as the temps will be in the 90's.

Hope all is well with you guys!

I am doing Tantric yoga and tai chi this morning. My arm is better. I feel pretty good today. I had depression episode on Tuesday. That was pretty bad. And then I had a migraine. So that was sucky. But I feel better now. I plan to exercise again tomorrow. My ankle is much better now.:)

Jane I am all ways impressed that you can run in the heat.:eek:

Tricia I hope that the muscle spasms are much better now. Thanks for the healing energy. Right back at you.

I only got a mile run in yesterday before it started storming. I went inside and did 100 swings and 100 H2H swings.

Here was tonight's workout. It rained earlier in the day so the temps were only in the 80s with a cool breeze.

15 reps of each exercise - 2 rounds
Barbell Squats
Step ups - 15 reps each side
Sit ups
Jumping Pull ups
Barbell Thrusters
Push ups
Squat Thrusts
Swings
Walking Lunges - 15 reps each side
Ball Slams

Alisha ~ I'm glad you're feeling better! :):)

Hi Tricia.

Happy Monday!

I did a kettlebell workout on Friday night, mixed in with a little bit of running. I took a rest day on Saturday and Sunday was an 8 mile run. Finally got some much needed rain on Saturday night.

Hope you guys are doing well.

So, how long has it been this time? About 2 weeks off I guess!

So sorry!

I think about you two every day! I'm hardly on the computer at home any more. It bothers my back so badly! If I have to type a lot at work, I'm in a whole world of pain by the time I get home! PT doesn't seem to be helping a lot, but they are trying dry needling on Thursday. She put me in traction yesterday.

I hope that helps.

Anywho . . . I haven't worked out much. I've done a workout here and there - I'm getting one in about once a week. It's not much, but the pain makes me not want to do much some days. Leg work and cardio are good. I haven't tried upper body weights yet. Golf doesn't seem to bother me so long as I walk and don't sit in a cart to ride.

Jane - Glad you got to enjoy some slightly cooler temps! It has been humid up here! I can't believe I can actually, finally, feel the humidity here! lol

Alisha - Sorry about the depression and headache. Glad your ankle is better!

I'm trying to schedule a date to go see my mom. Hopefully, I can connect with my brother and sister too!

Okay, I'm off! Going to have dinner, take more Ibuprofen and ice my poor back!

Tricia I am so sorry that your back is hurting. Hugs!

Jane I like kettle bells too. I think I'll do some of that tomorrow.

My brother has had a very serious doctor appointment, his doctor told him to look into bariatric surgery for his weight problem. So today I was helping him learn how to cook at home. I've been telling him about having regular meals and starting exercising. It almost seems silly since I'm overweight right now myself! But, I know how to get started! I recommend that he starts with walking and weightlifting and tai chi. We have to be careful not to raise his body temperature. It has to do with his medicine. Luckily he seems to be more willing now than he was in the past. But he may still need lap band surgery.

Tricia ~ {{{Hugs}}} back pain is the worst. I hope you get it worked out soon. Keep on trucking though. Do what you can, when you can.

Alisha ~ Kettlebells are fun!

I'm sending you and your brother good thoughts. He has a great teacher! Maybe you guys can workout together and motivate each other. Weight lifting would be so good for him because guys can gain muscle easy and once you have the muscle mass you can burn more calories that way. Sometimes you have to get close to something like surgery to be more open to things. That's how my mom is.

Yesterday was a rest day. Tonight will be a 3-4 mile run. I hoping that it will stay cloudy. It will be hot and humid though.

Alisha - Maybe this is what you and your brother both need to make some serious progress! I find that working together on a goal helps a lot! Sending lots of positive energy to you both! Hopefully, you'll both make good progress together! Lap band surgery is very serious and he will have to be very careful for the rest of his life.

Jane - Hope you had a good run tonight! Kettlebells are great! How is your mom doing?

I did STS Total Body Upper Body Premix tonight. It was nice and short! I liked that.

Depending on how my PT goes tomorrow, I plan to play golf. We shall see . . .

Have a great night you two!

Here is tonight's workout:

[FONT=&quot]1A. Narrow Stance Squats[/FONT][FONT=&quot] –[/FONT][FONT=&quot] 20 reps
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]1B. Rocking Planks[/FONT][FONT=&quot] – 20 reps
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]1C. Jump Squats[/FONT][FONT=&quot] – 20 reps
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]1D. Spiderman Climbers[/FONT][FONT=&quot] – 10 reps/side (foot to hand)
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]1E. Skater Hops[/FONT][FONT=&quot] – 10 reps/side
[FONT=&quot]Rest 1 minute before moving on to the next circuit[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]2A. Pushups[/FONT][FONT=&quot] – 40 reps
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]2B. Squats[/FONT][FONT=&quot] – 40 reps
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]2C. Jumping Jacks[/FONT][FONT=&quot] – 40 reps
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]2D. BOSU Jumps[/FONT][FONT=&quot] – 40 reps
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]2E. Running Knees[/FONT][FONT=&quot] – 20 reps/side
[FONT=&quot]Rest 1 minute before moving on to the next circuit[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]3A. Sumo Squats[/FONT][FONT=&quot] – 20 reps
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]3B. Med Ball Ground to Overhead – 20 reps[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]3C. Halos – 10 reps/side[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]3D. Weighted Sit ups – 20 reps[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]3E. Triple Crush – 20 reps[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[FONT=&quot]Rest 30 seconds then repeat 2 more times for a total of 3 circuits (just this circuit)[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]The weather was really nice last night so the run was good. It was in the high 80's and partly cloudy and breezy.
[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Tricia - My mom is doing well...she is doing great with her PT and often has DOMS. She does lots of pilates and gets some electro-magnetic stuff done for her neuropathy. Right now she is in a good place. Hope it continues.
[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]I continue to sending healing and positive vibes to your mom and family.[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Hope you get to play golf today.[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Hi Alisha! Hope you are having a great day!
[/FONT][/FONT]

Hi Jane!

Glad to hear about your mom! That EM stuff is great! I get that too at PT! Although, it hasn't seemed to be helping as much as it usually does.

I like your workout from today! Glad you had a good run last night!

I did not play golf. I could have, but opted to take it easy after the dry needing. An interesting procedure to be sure! It was acupuncture, but with the therapist wiggling the needle around in the muscle at the trigger point of the spasms to cause contractions. Yeah, in a couple of spots where the spasms are particularly tough, it hurt really badly! All together though, it was uncomfortable, but not too terrible. I was really in pain, crampy and achy for a couple of hours afterwards, then it eased off. The cramps and aching will continue for about 24 hours, but it's a lot better than it was! I'll take some ibuprofen before bed and hope that tomorrow, I'll feel some relief from all this pain I've been having. My regular PT put me in traction again today and did some manual manipulation while I waited for the dry needing treatment.

I did do some yoga tonight - about 30 minutes which felt pretty good. I can't get over how tired I am! I could have fallen asleep on the yoga mat! lol

So, we shall see tomorrow if I'm any better. I really do hope so!

Have a great night! I'll be catching up on my golf over the weekend!

Hi Alisha! Hope you had a good day!

TGIF!!

I am taking a rest day as I have a 5K tomorrow morning.

Tricia ~ The dry needle procedure sounds interesting and a little painful. My mom's massage therapist wanted mom to get acupuncture for her neuropathy but it's too expensive. He even offer to pay for the first session but my mom said no. I heard that for neuropathy it only lasts about 8-10 days and then she would have to go back and she doesn't have the money for that. In any case, I hope it made you feel better.

Hi Alisha!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.