Jogglers August 2010 (aka New Runners)

RapidBreath

Cathlete
Good morning,

I'm not stinky cause I showered already. I'm set up for a yoga today workout with Sarah Kline. Later today is Step Moves. Right now, I think thats my favorite step workout. I was up and down all night because I had shrimp/fish for dinner. It was the dim sum meetup last night and I had lots o' dim. :p I went with the shrimp hargow, the steamed pork buns (just two), some calamari, fish sauce roll, and lots of oolong tea. Last night I met a lady who is a pediatrician, she was new to our group, and she talked about her experience in the orthodox church and how she had to convert before she got married but it was just for the new in laws to feel good about it because her husband (now ex.) was a scientist. It seemed more entertaining when listened to with steamed pork buns in your mouth. lol.

Any hoody who.

Jane- I have officially given up the ice cream. Thats my challenge this month. I will be choosing just 1 cup of fruit instead, that cuts at least 7 carbs and all the guilt.:p:D I hate when they have ice cream in the house, its like bringing a whisky home to a dry alcoholic. I can do it, really I can, because I'm on the wagon right now, but heaven help me when those little spoons come out and someone hands me a sundae with toasted coconut on top. I like the 100 challenge. I might borrow that one.

Tricia- Happy birthdays for your DH. Thats so funny that he thought he would have to eat healthy on weekends too :p

Hi Cindi and Lisa!!! Welcome to the month of August.

Alisha - Thanks for starting the new thread! Sounds like you've got a new mindset for this month! Good for you! You've got my support, and I'm sure the rest of the gang! I'm proud to say I have not indulged in ice cream in a week, but this weekend I'll blow it on birthday cake and ice cream! Hey, it's a special occasion and that's allowed!

Your dim sum dinner sounds wonderful!

I did 6.9 miles this morning. Dh asked how far I wanted to go today and I said 4-5 miles. Uh-huh, gotta love his "conversion chart!" I made the whole distance without a walk break! I think I also went a bit faster because all I could see were his feet in front of me which kept my pace up! No wonder I was breathing so hard! LOL!

This week I'm doing the weight segments from 4DS with my Bodyrocktv and myomytv workouts on my off-weight days. I've already got a couple picked out. Now, I just have to write them down in my book so they're ready to go! I may tack on one or two tabata rounds behind the weight segments - at least on upper body days. We'll see how it goes and play it by ear!

Hi Everyone!

I was up early for a 7.2 mile run today. It felt good even though it was hot and sticky out. Then I can home and tried to see if I could find my BIL finish the Rock and Roll Half Marathon in Chicago. They were streaming it online. We missed him but he set a new PR!!

Alisha ~ Thanks for starting a new thread. Good luck on your challenge this month. You can do it!! Keep away from those little spoons!! :p

Tricia ~ I do 2-handed swings with the heavier bells. I can do one-handed swings with 30# but not too many because it fries the forearms. I can do alternating one-handed swings with the 30's though.

It's always best to do kettlebells outside. I have a dent in a wall from where my sister dropped her. Yikes! At least it wasn't a window.

I like your plan for this week. It sounds good.

Waving hello to Lisa and Cindi!

Jane - You beat my distance this time! I only did 6.89 miles today! It was beautiful and cool! Oh! I guess a dent in the wall is better than the many other possibilities! I'm sure she felt awful about it, too!

Tell your BIL congrats on the new PR!

Hi ladies,
I didn't workout today. We were going to go fishing but aborted the mission on account of rain. The horse went downhill and it was time to end things so that's where I spent the afternoon. Then I mixed myself a drink and headed out for a walk on the beach. Note to self: Never drink and dog. Juggling three dogs onleash, a toddy and a walking buddy did not go smoothly. I'll check in tomorrow. With any luck, I'll be able to workout before I do.

Jane and Tricia - Great runs!

Alisha - Sounds like you had fun! People are so weird sometimes.

Cindi - Hi!
Lisa

Hi Jogglers - Welcome to August!!!

I'm behind on my postings (ack!). Thanks for all the kind thoughts and words and prayers for Pete. He is doing better, chipping away at things and sad but not overwhelmed.

Honor and David have been away at camp this weekend and all this week so Paul has been an only child - :) It's been strange having just one child around but also a gift to be able to give him such undivided attention. We've been enjoying our time with him.

I went to spin class Saturday and yesterday started Meso 1 with Disk 1. Lots of equipment but I got into the hang of it after the first couple of exercises. I can feel the DOMS coming this morning! Spin class tonight.

Now I'm going to start tracking my eating and I think the STS+spin approach will really get my muscles in shape and I'm looking forward to that! I've been feeling soft lately.

Made zucchini bread again yesterday because I still have too much. It's all gone now. I also roasted the rest of the squash - it's going to become soup today. Maybe zucchini is a midwest thing - it's very common here. But really, it's just a quick bread and you can't really taste the zucchini, it just makes the bread really moist. You can put whatever you want into it. The last batch I made had cinnamon, allspice, poppyseeds, walnuts, and lemon zest. The batch I made yesterday had cinnamon, lemon zest, pumpkin and sunflower seeds, dried cherries, and chocolate chips.

And speaking of ice cream - I made some vanilla ice cream a couple weeks ago and then the kids wanted milkshakes the other day, before they left for camp. David's was vanilla (always vanilla), Paul had a cherry one - I mixed in some jarred morello cherries from trader joes, but Honor had nutella in hers. Honestly - a nutella milkshake is other-worldly in goodness.

Tricia - You and Jane are impressive with your workouts and your runs! I can't get heavy barbells over my head either. I use a weight vest and dumbbells.

Lisa - sorry about the traffic ticket. Dealing with them is such a pain! How is the horse doing? Your dad sounds like a great guy.

Jane - Great workout, Jane (that would be from a couple days ago) and great run!

Alisha - I weigh myself everyday except when I know it will be bad then I try to give myself a day or two to get back on track before I dare step on the scale. I have the school supply lists all ready to go for the kids. They start school August 23rd. It's a fun time!

walk walk walk

Today was a hike in my THR. Its my low impact week, giving the old knee a rest. I'm going to do Circuit Blast tonight. I haven't done that one much yet. It requires so much gear I tend to pick other things. Tomorrow is Power Max.

My mom made breakfast and I didn't measure my eats, I just eye balled it. I need to get those veggies cut up today and the eggs boiled. We had steak for breakfast:D

My car is sick again, on the way home on Saturday the 'service engine' light came on. My brother thinks that its the 4th cylinder which is clogged up. Poor car. :(

Are you girls excited about the new Cathe workouts? I wonder when the pre-orders will start. I admit, I'm a little bit excited.:eek:

Cindi- I'm glad Pete is doing ok, all things considered. Squash is a big home crop here in CA. Everybody has it, we don't cause my Dad's allergic and not much of a gardener. We have tomatoes instead. I do like zuchinnini bread. I can't spell that word. sheesh. :eek: I bet the combination of Spin and STS will get that 'softness' all tightened up. I personally can't do the spin thing, my butt and little bike seats to not mix.:p That nutella milk shake sounds like a perfect end to this month's challenge. I may try that one on Sept. 1:D

Lisa- I'm sorry about the horse being sick. I don't think I could manage a drink + walking dogs.

Jane- thats awesome about your BIL's PR. I missed reading that the other day.

Tricia- I need to find a good 7 mile trail so I can start to match your mileage. I only have about 5 miles before I have to do the loop again, and I'm not up to that yet.

Hi Everyone,

I am taking a rest day. I have to take mom to her radiation appointment at 7:15pm tonight!!! Usually she goes at 11am but they just moved into a new facility this weekend and I guess they are starting their appointments later than usual. I hope they don't cancel out. She had to miss her appointments on Thursday and Friday because the machine at the old facility was broken. I hope it all goes smoothly today.

Cindi ~ It will take Pete time to process everything. How cool that you got to have Paul all to yourself. I bet he is loving the attention. I remember one summer my dad took each of us girls on an outing separately. It was only a day thing but it was different and nice. I remember we went miniature golfing and out to eat for lunch. Great memories! I know zucchini but my parent's were not fans of it so we never ate it. Down here it's okra and greens!

Alisha ~ Steak for breakfast-yum! Sundays are my day to hardboiled my eggs and cut up my veggies for the week. Sorry about your car being sick. Hope it gets better soon! I'm going to wait for Cathe's dvds to come out first. I'm not doing many dvd workouts these days so I'll just wait and see. I've gotten to love working outside.

Lisa ~ I'm sorry about the horse. Hope you get a workout in.

Hi Tricia!

Lisa - The image of you trying to drink a toddy AND walk the dogs had me laughing! That would be quite the challenge!

Cindi - STS + Spin sounds like a killer combo! We have zucchini here, I've just never taken the time to try some bread with it. I'll have to do that sometime.

Alisha - Sorry your car is sick again! I hope it gets better soon and relatively cheaply! There's nothing worse than having to spend a fortune on your car. Your workouts sound good this week! I'd love to take a hike, but everything like that is quite a ways from here, so it'd be an all day thing and I like my down time!

Jane - I hope everything starts to go smoothly again with your mom's treatments.

Well, I'm excited and bummed out about the new workouts. I'm excited Cathe has new ones coming out, but am bummed that I probably won't be able to afford them. I'm just dreading asking DH. He just plunked a grand on registration at Harvard for ONE math class he needs for his PhD (this is assuming he gets accepted). I still don't even have Shock Cardio. Wahhhhh! Yes, just roll your eyes, sigh deeply and throw virtual things at me. I'm whining again! I'll just add it all to my Wish List like I do everything else!

At least I'll have plenty to play with on the Workout Blender!!! I have all of Cathe's other workouts in digital format! That'll give me something new to do! See, there is a bright side! I love the ads, too! They're cute!

Well, I'm off to read some of "The Passage." I've already read over 120 pages of it and just started it on Saturday. I'm slacking. I should be at least 200 pages in, but I don't read as much anymore - darn FB, Twitter, Cathe Fourms! LOL! I just can't tear myself away until I've caught up with everyone!

Have a great night fellow Jogglers!

Hello Jogglers!

I couldn't get to spin class last night so I did STS Disc 3 (legs) instead. That was tough! Mentally just as she was getting to the bonus section I had to pause and just take a break, but I went back and finished it. Tonight will definitely be spin class.

Alisha - I hope your car is feeling better soon. I am very excited about the new Cathes but also very annoyed that some people have to drag the Cathe bashing from the VF forum over here. I think the commercials are really cute.

Jane - Paul is definitely liking the attention. Okra - I only like okra in my gumbo. How is your mom doing?

Tricia - I'll loan you the new workouts if you want to try them out. :)

Hi Lisa! How is the horse doing?

blisters

Dagnabit. I had to skip Circuit Blast last night because I earned blisters in the morning. I did an hour of yoga this morning. This afternoon/evening will be low max. Its going to be a busy day on the computer editing. I'm still waiting to hear back from AutoTronics about my car.

Cindi- I don't like the drama about other forums either, I had no idea what they were talking about. Besides, why would Cathe even care about some other forum? We are her followers, if someone doesn't like it thats ok, they don't have to.

Tricia- I'm sorry your funds are tight. I probably won't pre-order anyway. I have plenty of hard core high impact in my arsenal and I do circuits or yoga for strength training anyway. That said, at some point it might find its way into my grubby little hands:p

Jane- I love working outside too. My trail on our property is covered in weeds and not safe right now, we need to rent a small cat and drag it smooth. Its a great big loop because we have a 6 acre yard. Its a great add on to the big loop I do around the neighborhood and its off road so the ground is soft.

Lisa- Hows it going?

Cindi - STS Legs! Ugh, those are killer! Good for you! Hope you made it to spin class and had a good ride! You're too sweet to lend me your workouts! I may have to take you up on that!

Sometimes, I just feel like I'm standing still while everything just keeps going and gets away from me! It makes me start to panic a bit! Don't mind me!

For me, the best okra is fried okra - YUMMY!

Alisha - I know what you mean! I wish everyone would leave the garbage over at VF or whatever it is! Sorry you missed your workout last night! I hope your blister are feeling better today! Your trail sounds wonderful! I was thinking you'd need a pretty big kitty cat, too! LOL! Just for a second anyway! I hope you get news on your car soon! It scares me when it takes a while to get back to me!

Lisa and Jane - Hello to you two!

Well, I did the Fat Ass Burn Off Workout from Bodyrock this morning - 6 rounds of 10/20 rest to work of the following exercises:

High Leg Runs
Mountain Climbers
Side Plank Jumps
Supergirl PUshups

Whew! I was really huffing and puffing!

Hey ladies,
I rode twice (for fun) and did Providence yesterday. That's the only workout I've managed since the last time I did Providence.

Thanks for asking but we had to put the horse down on Sunday. Because of our location, we couldn't get a vet to come out so I assisted while a friend ended it. Another reason I love my dad, he always took care of things like that. I called him and he gave me all the info I needed and said he wished he could be here so I wouldn't have to deal with it. How sweet is that? Anyway, haven't been feeling too social lately.

Luckily I've had my head to deep in the sand to realize there was drama going on. I won't bother to go looking for it.

Tricia - That workout sounds hard!

Cindi - Have fun with Paul.

Jane - Hope you had a good rest day.

Alisha - I thought I had a cat I could lend you but I guess not afterall :p

Lisa

Lisa - I'm so sorry the horse had to be put down. {{{HUGS}}} I can't even begin to imagine how hard that must have been. At least he's not suffering anymore. What a great dad you have!

Ride like the wind!

Oh how sad the horse had to be put down. :( What a wonderful Dad you have to want to be there for you.

Tricia - I'm glad to see you say that about STS legs - I thought I was just a wimp, but it really is a hard workout! My butt is super sore today - spin last night I think actually helped flush out my thighs but butt is hurtin for certain today. It feels good though in a sick way. :)

Tonight is back and triceps - disk 2.

I'm serious - you can absolutely borrow the new Cathe workouts from me. Just let me know.

So I was reading on VF the other day that someone had asked about bone spurs. A responder said to take calcium and I googled around a bit and there seems to be some thinking that calcium supplements can help dissolve bone spurs if you have a calcium deficit. At the same time I was having the worst heal issue, I was also having regular cramps in my foot and calves (which can also be linked to a calcium deficiency) - so DING DING DING DING! Maybe I should be taking calcium. I'm going to try it while I'm doing STS and hope that the bump goes down.

Hi ladies,
Today I did CC V1 (slowly) with the pups. I also did Push-Pull (minus the inner/outer thigh on part). I'm going to tack on a couple of rounds of crunches. Then I have to go work at the coffee shop that I used to workout. Someone quit and I have a hard time saying no so I'm covering some shifts.

It's funny how the older I get, the more things I have that I think about but don't talk about. Do the rest of you feel the same way? 10 years ago, I would have hashed certain events out over and over again with friends. Now I just don't talk about them. I don't know if that's a good thing or not. It just is.

Cindi - I hope the calcium will help.

Lisa

change of plans

Yesterday was a never ending change of plans day. I didn't get to my workout until 8 pm. I did LIC cardio premix instead of LM, I didn't have the oomph for a 70 min. workout. I had one bite of lemon ice cream post workout. I think I can get back on track for today. But, I did successfully avoid the DQ! Today is going to be a combination of Cathe's MMA boxing and an older kick box workout. I'm skipping the leg drills (mostly so I can walk like a normal person.)

Lisa- I'm so sorry the horse had to be put down. Its ok Lisa, I have that kind of cat, I mean the kind that comes with a guy who drives it and spits a lot.:rolleyes:

Cindi- Apparently there was a flu bug in the spring which has caused a rash of vit. D deficiencies, have you been tested? Without the d I thought it was harder to use your calcium.

Tricia- Whats a supergirl push up?

Jane-How is your Mom doing?

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.