I Hate to Love Cardio - Sept 15

August

Cathlete
Hi, everybody!

Did my Jari's RTTC this morning. Wanted to do cardio, but I resisted. :p

Diane - After I posted yesterday, I came back and reread my post and even I read "bowl" as "bowel" LOL! What I understand is that Activia is supposed to be a "regulator" rather than a cleansing, but I guess if it makes you suddenly regular,...would that be considered a cleansing? LOL. Is the cleansing thing you're taking about, the scary colon cleansing and stuff? As in wormies and wacky things sticking their heads out and about?....Glad to hear your DH is cool with the job thing......Again, I go with Michele - how about a cheat meal instead of a cheat day?

Janjan - Glad to hear you're on the way to recovery. Yeah, don't worry about your boss, you're sick, for crying out loud! It's not like you're faking! I've only been eating Activia for three days now, so apparently I have 11 more before I notice any change (if any). I'll give you the details as they...come..forth..haha.

Michele - Yeah! The book has arrived! Okay, tell me what I need to know :* . I'm more interested in the eating part, so please read that, too, LOL. Activia apparently has some kind of bacteria that is ONLY found in Activia (sort of suspect) where the live buggers can make it into your stomach and set up home. You have it 14 days in a row and I guess they form a clan :D ...but then it says when you stop eating it, that the bacteria will die off. So I guess in other words, if it works for you, you have to eat it the rest of your life. Hmm. But I figure it's worth the 14-day experiment anyway. In the last couple years I bloat at the drop of a pin. It totally sucks. Yeah, I've got carpet, and no, pivots and stuff on carpets suck. Course, I've never done pivots and stuff on a non-carpeted area, so what do I know? Maybe it's just my poor pivoting...oh, and for starting, I agree with Diane and Jana, Monday is always great!

Does the diet part of 5-Factor tell you how much carb and pro to aim for? Just curious...oh wait, you're "supposed" to eat turkey jerky...so it must be pretty specific on what to eat?

Hi Ladies - Late waking up again today, so will try to workout after work. It is going to be another stressful day, already have emails from late last night of "emergencies" for today. When will it ever end!!!

August - you don't have to count carbs or anything on the Five Factor, he just gives you guidelines to follow. I think the basic breakdown of meals is 55 % healthy carbs (low or medium glycemic index), 30% lean protein and 15% healthy fat. Correct me if that is the wrong breakdown. But he says not to count carbs or protein, just have a lean protein with each meal that is about a 1/3 of the meal, and the rest being healthy carbs (like fruits and veggies - or barley ;) ). I will be interested to hear how the Activa experiment went.

Jana - Feeling any better today?

Michele - Another date with Eli today?

I have a recruiting lunch today, so have to stay strong and try and eat healthy!

Ok, can you guys believe I actually made it to work at 7:58 this morning...MY BOSS IS NOT EVEN HERE!!!!hahah!!!!

Yeah!!! I feel about 70% better from all the other days and have my sass back. I saw a beautiful sun rise this morning as I sat in traffic. Instead of being so pissed about being in traffic I enjoyed it and jamed out to the Chili peppers, and watched the sun rise. It is a great thing to see.

Ok, so August on day 1 of the Activa, I will let you know how it goes. You keep me updated as well w/out TMI..ok..ok.....I don't pivot on carpet, you can trip and get all twisted up etc so not a good idea. I just step touch or do something else crazy.

The five factor does not break up carbs, really no break down at all really simple and easy. Its not a "brain science" book, its a very easy to folllow and simple way to do things. I will be back on it on Sun pending I am 95% better. I have to leave my house at 6:50 to get here on time, so I am trying to fit in the workout somewhere. I am aiming for lunch once I renew my gym membership, but I hate to pay for it since I always got it free.

Moving right along....Diane, ok so about the other job with DH, wow that was a quick decision. I think he may just not have his "groove" down yet and it is hard to find a job you are happy with. Maybe wait on trying for a kiddo a little longer and work a little longer??

Ok, I have got to run, boss man here, will be bakc

I'm out of town overnight...but I brought my computer with me since I discovered the hotel I'm at has free internet service in all the rooms. :)

It was a close call, girls, I almost couldn't find Activia for today's portion :eek: ! But fear not, I found it, and ate those buggers. I'll keep you posted. Nothing exciting to tell yet.

So how is it that 5-Factor suggests to have 55% carbs, but you don't count them? How on earth do you know that you're getting in 55%?!

Jana - you're going to try out Activia, too? Woo hoo! We'll have a little good bacteria partay!

Sorry, I'm a dork,...what's TMI?

Great you're feeling better and in to work before Da Boss!

Diane - good luck with your load of work!

MIchele! Kate! Dana! Where you at?

August - He gives those percentages, but then says that is just a guideline and not to measure things to get to the perfect number. For example, just have a lean protein cover a 1/3 of your dinner plate, and the rest be healthy carbs. So I don't measure anything, I just make sure I get a good amount of lean protein with every meal and snack, and the rest is just health carbs. I also try to make sure I have some fiber, but that is about it.

I do the same as Diane, I don't have the time to cut down and break down all the stuff, just eat that is all make it simple or I will go nuts!

Gee, I don't know why you guys wouldn't want to plan meals the night before and then measure out every single thing you put in your mouth! (Huge sarcastic eye roll icon here)

Diane, when you say you make sure to get fiber - I noticed in the link you sent me that he recommends getting, what was it, like 10 grams of fiber per meal? That couldn't be right, unless you only count three meals (and the other two are snacks..?) - anyway, how is it that you make sure to get fiber? You mean that you'd get them from your fruits and veggies and barley? ;)

TMI. Wassat?

Well, I made it just under the gun before it turns from morning to afternoon!

August, TMI = Too Much Information. I really haven't read the diet portion of the book yet--I skimmed through it quickly but I'm planning to give it it's due today. I read through the exercise portion and it seems very doable to me. I'm just not into long, strenuous routines right now. I wanna get in and get out, ya know whad I mean? I'm so tired of dragging out tons of equipment and then having to put it all away. I really like the simplicity of this program. I think after the 5 weeks is up I'll feel like ramping it up with Cathe again.

Back to diet--I like the BFFM in theory but there is just NO WAY I can follow that diet. I cannot/do NOT want to be a slave to counting and measuring. That would truly send me over the edge. I just want to prepare my meal and eat it. I pretty much understand what I need to eat to be healthy and lose weight, and my goal is not to become the next Miss Olympia. All I want to do is bring myself back to a state of good health and maintain it. I like the old way of eating--you know--your meat portion should be about the size of your palm--lol! I can DO that.

Girls, I have to run here. August, I'm so glad you took your laptop with you. We miss you when you're not around. Just like we miss Dana and Kate. I'm worried about Kate, folks! I think her bladder problems are really giving her a bad time. I hope Dana's spirits are lifting, too.

:* :* and I'll definitely BBL (for August, that means BE BACK LATER--:p )

ETA Janjan, I'm so glad you're feeling better and that your DD slept. Ah...the power of prayer!!

I just had a snack consisting of a Gala apple and a piece of that turkey jerky. Man, that stuff's good:9 . I feel very full and satisfied.

I'm waiting for all your reviews on the Activa yogurt before I indulge.

I'm really bummed out about the E. Coli infected spinach. I eat that stuff almost everyday. I just threw out a whole container. I always bought it prewashed in one of those plastic boxes. I wasn't sure if those were included in the warning but I threw it out anyway.

August - I don't count the exact amount of fiber, I just make sure I have something with fiber in it. For example, my cereal at breakfast has lots of fiber. My fruits and veggies add fiber. And I use a yogurt that had extra fiber and protein. The tortillas I use have lots of fiber.

One question - how many sugars and proteins does the Activa have? Some yogurts have a lot of added sugar.

TFTMTIM (thanks for telling me the info, Michele). LOL. I do know what LOL means. :p

It's 3:36am here and I'm getting ready for bed, but you know, I'm thinking to write my own diet book and I think it's going to be a big hit since it's really simple.

Page 1 : Don't eat crap.
Page 2 : Don't overeat.

The End.

What do you think? :*

Yeah, counting and planning and measuring and all that stuff is a MPITA (major pain in the you know where). I've been enjoying just making and eating and living and being. In fact, I think I naturally eat less that way, actually.

Okay, for you, Diane, I'm going to dig in the garbage for the Activia info, but I have a bad feeling about the sugar content - I kind of remember someone complaining about that in one of the bad reviews. Hold on. Digging...

Oh, so Japanese. Doesn't even bother to list the sugar. Just figures here in Ectoland. Here's what it does list:

Activia (prune flavor)

Calories : 104
Protein : 4.3 gr
Fat : 2.8 gr
Carbs : 15.6
Natrium ? : 54.6 mg
Calcium : 139 mg

I guess knowing that you are putting in tons of high-quality friendly bacteria is worth the sacrifice for the sugar. I can't imagine a ton of those carbs are fiber ones.

All right. I guess I should try to get to sleep before I miss my window of opportunity.

Michele, will you be taking your computer to Italy? :7 You, too, Diane, on your trip. I haven't forgotten! Right, Janjan?

Kate! Get back here!

You, too, Dana!

We've got lots of important bacteria and diet plans going on here!

The yogurt I have been eating has 7 sugars, 7 grams protein and 3 grams fiber and I think 90 calories. But doesn't taste the best. x( And no little healthy bacteria in it. I'm interested in seeing what happens with this Activa stuff, though I don't know if I want to try it or not. Don't want to try and fix something that isn't broken if ya know what I mean.

Okay, I'm not sleeping yet.

Definitely with you on the don't try to fix what ain't broken.

I don't know what happened to me that changed my digestion all of a sudden. It's like suddenly one day I woke up bloated all the time. Never used to be that way before. :-( It sucks. Hopefully my new army of friendly bacteria will do something about it. }(

Hey chickies. OK, I don't have time to backtrack and read the past threads so what the heck is up with this Activia stuff? I know it is yogurt but what August??? Are you on a yogurt diet? Enlighten me.

Jana: you started your job right? How's it going? Have you got yourself a schedule yet? You know, baby time, work out time, cleaning the house time, etc? Yeah, me neither. }(

Diane: did your DH get a new job? Like I said, I"m just reading bits and pieces of this thread so I have no clue what I"m missing or for that matter, what I'm saying or asking you. Go figure.

Michele: what's up sista????? Are you still trekking away on the elliptical???

Kate: I see you are still MIA (Missing In Action, that is for those of you who forgot to read Acronyms for Dummies). Hope everything is ok with you.

OK, nothing new going on here really. I"ve decided that since BFL did not work for me, then binging and not working out, I'm going to start WW Flex Program on Monday. I went to Dottie's Weight Loss Zone website (www.dwlz.com) which has oodles of WW info and printed off the Flex Plan info. I also need to start getting up earlier and trying to get in some sort of workout. I am just too busy in the evenings to squeeze one in.

Sunday is my office's Heart Walk for the American Heart Association. I am our team captian. We've got 12 members on our team and we raised $1620 dollars! I also gave our Superintendent 2 ideas for the Wellness Committee. I can join the committee b/c the meetings are afterwork and I"ve got to pick my kids up. My first suggestion was to see if anyone would be interested in forming a hiking club that would only meet 1x/month (excluding the winter months) and the group would choose a different place to hike each month. I figured that people would be more likely to join if they didn't have to make a weekly commitment out of it. My 2nd idea was to organize a contest similiar to the Biggest Loser and have each participant pay $10 or so to join. Then break it into groups with each group having a team leader. The team leader would keep track of the weight loss, etc progress and after the 12-weeks were up prizes would be awarded to the winners. (the reason for the money to join would be used for fitness related prizes). The meeting is on the 18th so I'll know if it is yeah or ne for my ideas. I also volunteered to provide healthy recipes for the wellness newsletter. I love to organize and do stuff like this. Why oh why am I a spec ed secretary???

Well I better get going. DH is yelling at Gabe for spilling doritos on the carpet and Gannon is crying. It is crazy here!

I'll chat with you all later!

DANA!! Yeah! You're here!

I really like the Biggest Loser idea. It might be good to have some different criteria besided just weight loss, because guys always tend to lose more pounds and it is just not fair! Maybe like some kind of overall improvement challenge - like in addition to weight lost, number of pushups or situps in a minute (# of improvement), change in body fat. Or can do something where you get points for doing 30 min of exercise, so can be a combo of weights and points? Just throwing things out there.

The job thing with DH has blown over. He found out about a job in another city and was thinking of applying, but it was a bad financial move for us because we have debts to pay and I wouldn't be able for find a good job there. But not a problem anymore.

My step mom is on the flex plan for a few years and loves it. She lost a lot of weight on it, but still is hangin on to the last 20 or so pounds. But she doesn't exercise hard like you do at all, so that may be why.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.