I Hate Cardio - Sept 18

August

Cathlete
Hey now!

Dana - How are you doing today? You must be so sore. Have you made an appointment to see a doctor yet, girl?! Nurse Michele will be after you if you don't! }(

Diane - Did you make it through work and then KPC? Working out after work needs a lot of gumption. Then again, getting up early to workout takes a lot of gumption, too. You're awesome that you're putting effort like that in an already very busy day!

Janjan - So how is work going? Are you enjoying the people there and the things you're doing? How is your DH feeling? Hey, have you checked out the thread about Muscle Max? Sorry I haven't been able to tear myself away from Jari to make a report for you. Oh, and I saw an ad on TV the other day for the strawberry Activia coming out here soon! How's that going for you? Any changes?

Michele - So where's the 5-Factor report? }( Oh, hey, isn't this your first day on the plan?

Kate - You need to write us some new lyrics to Brahm's Lullaby. Something's funky with the meter of the original lyric.

Well, I had pretty normal sleep last night, thank you, Michele! Or at least I was able to wake myself up at a relatively nice hour (9am). I'd been loving waking up naturally around 7am because then the day is so nice and long. I love looking at the clock and it only being like 10am! Hopefully I'll be able to get back on track....oh gawd, I just remembered I have another out-of-towner this weekend. x(

Anyway, this morning I did my beloved Christi Cardio Collectibles in its entirety - it's got about half and hour of hi-lo and half an hour of step. It was totally fun and the time totally flew by! My heartrate moniter tells me I burned up 530 organic peanut butter calories ;-) . I'm loving doing hi-lo and step in one workout! Hey, how many days a week is it all right to step? Anybody know? (Not that I'm going to do it every day :+ .)

Oh, hey, interesting news flash - I haven't been having any trouble with my knees ever since I started doing Jari's workouts. I do my squats quite differently now after having watched how they do it. I'm guessing (hoping) I'm doing them correctly now.

Hi Ladies -

Dana - Are you feeling alright? I hope you see a doctor soon.

August - yes I actually did KPC after work on Sunday. I made it through the whole workout, which I haven't been able to do in a while. Except for those pikes, I do'nt know if I can ever do those.

Michele - First day on 5 Factor! What are you eating?

Jana - I hope this week is better at work.

Results from last weeks weigh in - I wasn't feeling to good about it because I had far too many cheat meals because of lunches at restaurants with the newbies that started last week but -

Gained back one pound, but lost another 3% body fat. Now, I know that I probably didn't actually lose 3% body fat in a week. But I know I lost something because i have never seen a number that low, well, ever. So hopefully this means I am gaining muscle and losing fat, and not just gaining back fat and have a messed up scale.
:)

This morning I did 30 min of C&W. Was supposed to do HSC, but didn't feel up to it. That workout is hard!

Pikes? There are pikes in KPC?

Hmm, I never knew there were pikes in KPC. :) In fact, I don't know of any workouts with pikes in them. ;)

That's great about your results, Diane! Do you feel different? I know those scales are totally wacked, but if you've never seen the number down like that, for sure something is going on! Good for you!

I managed to make it to work in only 1 hour even in rain this morning. I am proud of myself. Only problem, boss man out of town so he won't even notice I was here on time....oh well.......

I am trying to get a work out back in my nutty schedule. Looks like I will be going to the gym during lunch. I just don't have time in the AM. I get up at 5:30 as it is and have to leave by 6:45 to get here on time, so no time. When I get home it is 5:15-5:30ish and all about DD who goes to bed by 8. I was so happy she slept all night long! yeah!

Ok, so I am really worried about DANA! I thought about you while inmy car this AM. I do hope you will post to let us know if you are ok.

Diane-I am so proud you are getting your workouts in. I miss my workout! I am having a hard time with breakfast. I know I need to eat, I just have 0 time to make anything in the morning so I am grabbing something. Last week it was Kashi bars and today I made oatmeal at home and am now eating cold oatmeal for breakfast. Oh yummy....yuck! Any ideas?? I would like more protein in the AM.

Michele-sooo looking forward to the turkey jerky! How was your weekend? Did you and DH get to spend some time together?

Kate-how are you???

I hate to be short, but I have got to get some work done. I will check back in later.

I love the ab workout in KPC, it makes me sore and it is only seven minutes. I didn't get caught up over the weekend cuz there were birthday parties to attend. Yesterday was a roller skating party. The last time I actually skated at a rink, the current hot tunes of Seasons in the Sun and Bennie and the Jets were played. Yikes, that really made me feel good!

I think I am over-training. I got back into it hard the other day and I was exhausted and worn out the next day. Very irritable too. I have been doing 100 mins of workout six days per week plus fast walking the dog 50 mins every day. I am cutting back to 80 mins six days per week and keeping the dog schedule. But no workout today, I did my days (even though I was beat by lack of sleep) and I am in the classroom almost all day today.

I hope you are all well. Knee pain? Ouch. Hmmm, what is my favorite pain. Will have to think about that one. I am going to do push ups today after 10 days off or so due to a sore elbow. I think maybe tomorrow will be a painful day.

Time to go and make lunches. Everyone have great day!

Kate

Hi everybody!

I'm a little cranky today so I won't be around much. August, prepare for a bad night because I didn't sleep a wink last night. No matter how hard I tried I could not fall asleep. I actually had a mini anxiety attack. Anyway, thanks, everybody, for all the 5FF first day love. I had oatmeal for breakfast and I'm about to do my first workout, then I have to take a nap. I probably shouldn't have told you about my insomnia, August. I'd hate to sabotage your sleep patterns again--lol!

Dana, I'm with Janjan, I'm really worried about you. I do hope you're okay. Have you been to the doctor? Did you participate in the walk?

Kate, I'm so friggin happy to see you back here. I was really worried about you. I DO think you work out too hard. Maybe you should read 5-Factor Fitness.

August, I can't understand where the problem is with the meter of those lyrics. I sang it (well, more like caterwauling) and it's exactly perfect. I wonder if you're thinking of a different lullabye altogether. Good going on your workout. I think doing a variety of cardio workouts is the way to go and I'm sure that's why your knee has improved. It's probably happy that you're not doing repetitive motions.

Diane, good going!! I'm very proud of your diligence to get your workouts in.

Janjan, I'm mailing your turkey jerky today. I know it's tough now, but you'll settle into a routine with your new schedule. I hope you can make it to the gym but you better take care of that knee. You posted a remark the other day that gave me pause when you said you didn't have time, or something like that, to rehab the knee. You better take care of it or I'll have to come over there and...and...well I don't know what but I'll figure out something.

I need to get down to business. I'll try to BBL.

:*

Jana - I don't know if you have a break room or something at work with a fridge and microwave, but maybe you can bring something to eat at work? Bring a box of oatmeal and make it at work and eat at your desk? I don't know if people do that at your work, but I take all my Five Factor snacks to work, keep them in the fridge in the break room, and eat at my desk. I don't know what your desk situation is, but my office is pretty private and I can close the door. I just take a few bags of stuff with me on Monday for the entire week.

Kate - That does sound like a lot of workout time. Maybe cut back to just 60 minutes 5 days a week since you have a 50 min walk everyday? Or, alternatively, keep your current schedule but always take an extra rest day if you are feeling worn out. So some weeks might be 5 days a week.

August - The pikes are so hard. I can get up part way, but can't get even close to all the way to my toes. So I just do tucks instead of pikes most of the time.

Diane, I got your email and sent you a reply.

I'm out for now, girlies. There's a bed and a pillow with my name on it.

Jana - How about an Activia for breakfast? LOL. Cottage cheese and fruit? Is that fast? Kashi bar sounds good, how about that and milk?

Kate - I've been doing tons of cardio recently (and by choice if you can believe it!), but you, man, that's mucho much! I think paring it down some would be a good thing. Ah, favorite pains...why do you suppose chewing on a canker sore can be mildly enjoyable?

Michele - Too funny, you know I read your post as I'm getting into bed LOL. Sorry to hear that you had a horrible night's sleep. I hope it wasn't from my horrible one the other night...You know, that you mention it, you're probably right about the not doing the same cardio being a good thing on my knees. I mean, I was kickboxing and only kickboxing. Come to think of it, I haven't kickboxed for weeks now LOL. But I also think I'm doing my squats differently which I think has helped a lot, too. Who knows, anyway, I'm glad things seem to be all right.

Okay, so let's see here about those lyrics.

Lullabye, and good night -- Okay, this line is fine
with roses bedight -- Two notes on the "with" which isn't really a vital word
with lilies o'erspread -- This one has the stress on the 2nd part of lillies. Lily should be pronounced LI-ly not li-LY
is August's wee bed. -- Again, two notes for the "is"
Lay thee down now and rest; -- This one's good
may thy slumber be blest. -- This one is, too
Lay thee down now and rest; -- Another cheer
may thy slumber be blest -- Ooh, and ends well

Am I "singing" the same melody as you?

Oh gee, I feel slumber-y thanks to your sweet lullaby! Even though the lyricist was sloppy LOL. Have a nice nappy! :)

Diane - What kind of snacks can keep in a fridge up to a week? I'd love to take snacks with me like that. Oh man, I friggen hate pikes. I never, never, never do them. Never.

Well, it's nearing midnight. I guess I'll try to sleep a little. Even though I'm a tiny bit hungry. x( Sleeeeep......sleeeeeep.....

August - In response to your question whether I feel different, I definitely do. I feel smaller around the waist and thighs. Arms seem a little more toned. I tried on my "skinny" jeans yesterday and they fit, although a little too tight. I felt like a sausage stuffed in them. My goal is to have them fit perfectly again. Last time I fit into them perfectly was before the wedding (when working out all the time) and when I was in law school and working out with Cathe and running all the time. So they are what I wear when I am in my tip top shape. Still have a little ways to go though.

August - Snacks that I bring that keep a week are apples and pears along with yogurt and cottage cheese. For cottage cheese, it is best to get those Kudson 2% 4-packs that have 4 small portions in seperate containers. Those keep for a couple weeks at least since they are in separate containers. I also bring bananas and beef jerky (but that is not in the fridge). :9

Quick question that I may have asked before -

What should I eat before I workout if I don't have time to wait for it to digest (I can barely wake up to workout, there is no way I can wake up to eat and then wait for a while). Then I would eat my normal breakfast after the workout. This morning I did C&Ws on an empty stomach which means I just had no energy. I also sometimes get low blood sugar during morning workouts if I haven't eaten enough.

I was thinking 1/2 a banana and water (quick and easy to eat, shouldn't upset my tummy too much)

Or 1/2 an apple or orange?

A granola bar? I just can't think of anything.

Hi, Diane,

That's great that you can feel a difference. Then that scale is telling the truth! Yeah!

Thanks for the snack ideas. Of course, Kudson isn't available here (in fact, cottage cheese is sort of difficult to find). Yum. I love cottage cheese and fruit.

I'm thinking it would be good to have protein before your workout (especially if you're doing weights) - do you have protein powder or some kind of protein drink?

How about a glass of milk?

I do have protein powder, so maybe just a small protein shake with water? If I have milk before a workout, my stomach sometimes gets upset.

Well, I just woke up and it's 2am. ;(

Yeah, I think protein powder with cold water would be great pre-workout.

I have NOT been able to nap. My $*%(* phone will NOT stop ringing...GRRRRRR! I did complete my first 5FF workout, though. I think I'm really going to like this plan. I'll probably use it the whole 5 weeks--both levels--then figure out where to go from there. I didn't do the prep week. In fact, I started out with 8 lbs for the chest flys and that wasn't heavy enough. I can't find my 10# DB's so I'm probably going to have to buy another pair. Please tell me, how does someone lose a pair of DB's!?

Diane, I'm going to part company with August and tell you to go with the banana before working out. You need the energy that is supplied by complex carbs for cardio. You should eat protein afterward to build muscle. This is the advice I received from my personal trainer a few years ago and it's what I've always done. I think the banana is a great choice because it has a lot of sugar that is quickly realeased into your system. That's my .02 anyway.

August, we have to stop meeting like this--lol! Okay, lets both go lay down and close our eyes.

Bahahhaahaa! You LOST your 10# dumb bells?! How in the world could you do that? Geez, you must have giant closets! Hey, maybe that rat is working out with them somewhere? ;)

Well, it's now 3:20am. Hhhhh.

So you'd go with a banana, eh? But that's not a complex carb - that's a simple one. And it wasn't even on Diane's list! LOL. I would think that having a simple carb before a workout would get your blood sugar high quickly and then down quickly, making you burn out faster. From what I understand, if you do decide to eat fruit before your workout, you'll want to have them with some protein for balance. You'll also want to eat protein after your workout. Doesn't the 5-Factor say that you should eat a protein and a complex carb every meal? In BFFM, it says that in the worst case scenario, eat your protein. Eating protein with a simple carb after your workout will help to feed your muscles quicker.

Blah blah blah.

Well, whatever you do, you should freeze the banana and eat it like it's ice cream. :9 You could even mash it up with protein powder. :7

Yeah, we gotta go lay down and close our eyes, girl. This is awful.

I agree, banana is probably a good choice. I need a more simple carb to get in my blood stream faster so that I don't pass out! I never workout for more than an hour, so that should sustain me under I have my real breakfast with complex carbs and protein.

I've always considered banana's to be complex carbs because, while they are high in sugar, they are also nutrient dense. They've been much maligned by the low carb guru's, but I think they are CRAZY--lol! Check this out:
http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=7

Now, go have a banana --with peanut butter--carb and protein;):7

I'm totally freaked out now wondering where that big ole mouse is:eek: ;(

Michele - Mmm banana and peanut butter, now that just sounds like dessert, not breakfast. I should send the kittens over to your house - they are quite avid hunters (though usually more of the string/feather/paper scrap variety).

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.