I Hate Cardio - Sept. 13th

dianet

Cathlete
How did it get to be the middle of September? Time is going fast lately. I am so late to work right now, should have left 10 minutes ago but still eating my Kashi with blueberries. I did my 5 factor workout this morning, even though I was very late. I will post later when I get to work.

Jana - I'm glad your 2nd day was better. I hope you get your computer soon, internet makes the time go faster at work. }(

Good morning, Haters!!

Diane, we posted the thread at the same time so I pasted mine here. I had asked if you followed your 5-Factor plan this morning and I can see you did, so congratulations!! You're doing so well with staying on top of this. I was inspired by your compliance and that's why I wanted the book. I think I'll do better, for now at least, if I can follow a shortened plan.

My darlin DH finally made it home. His plane landed at 4:00 but it took them almost an hour to put the luggage on the carousel. By then he was smack dab in the middle of rush hour and he didn't get home until 7:00 (this is normally about an hours drive or slightly longer). Anyway, he's home and I'm happy to have him back:+ .

I'm trying to decide which cardio w/o to do today. I'd like to hop on Eli but I think I better do a Cathe. I've been doing all my HIIT on Eli so I want to do a steady state Cathe. I need to do weights, too. Then I'm going to see if I have time to pick out new frames for my glasses. I have a stronger prescription now and I want to get my new glasses before our trip.

Kate!! I'm so glad you checked in yesterday. Don't worry about missing 4 days of workouts. You have overdraft protection in the cardio bank;). You're not going to lose all your gains in the course of a few days. You need to concentrate on feeling better :* . Did you get my email?

Janjan, I'm glad yesterday was a little better for you. It would be great if you could sneak into the forums for a sec. Did DD sleep last night?

August, I was motivated by your post to cook up some hot, soggy oats. I chopped up 1/2 of an apple and added it to the water. Once the water boiled I added the oats. At the end of the cooking time I added a leetle bit of pure vanilla extract, a leetle bit of cinnamon, and a TBSP or so of chopped walnuts, and a pack of Splenda:9 . It was really good. I want you to know that both DH and I slept fairly well, although I didn't get to bed until around 1 AM because I was fussing with my fireplace mantle. DH bought me an oil painting and I put it on the mantle so I had to rearrange the whole friggin thing. I'm a tad anal about stuff like that. I actually have little marks on my mantel so that I know exactly where to put things back after I dust:eek: ;( Can we say OCD?

Dana, I hope all is well with you:*

I need to read a few more threads and get going on my day. I can't afford the butt glue problem today:p :* :*

I'm glad your DH is finally home and that you finally got some sleep. The mantel thing is pretty funny, we all have those little things that drive us crazy. Which reminds me that I have not been a good flylady lately! I need to get back on track. I have let little things slip here and there (not making the bed, no swish and swipe) and now the place is a total mess right after I clean it.

I have never made a bowl of oats that I thought tasted good. I have tried the vanilla extract with cinnamon and splenda before and didn't like that either. What kind of oats do you use?

Diane, I don't LOVE oatmeal, either. I primarily use Quacker Old Fashioned Oats. I tried the steel cut oats and I like them well enough, but I don't think the benefits outweigh the time it takes to make them.
The chopped apple and walnuts really make a big difference, I think. They add some sweetness and crunch which greatly improves the texture.

Oh, don't even mention the FlyLady. I crash landed a while ago and I was just thinking this morning that I really need to get back in the habit. I was doing so well for awhile there. I feel bad for you, though. I think that if you have to make a choice between FlyLady and and your workout, you should do the workout. It's nice to have a clean house, but it's not essential. Making the time to eat well and workout IS essential and important for your physical and mental well being. Just my .02.

Very true very true - I can only seem to really focus on one thing at a time. Right now my focus is on 5 Factor. When I was doing well at flylady, that was my focus.

I use the same oatmeal as you, but I just like other things better so never eat it. I should try it again though so that I can mix things up a bit.

It has been really hard for me to keep on the diet the past two days because I went Monday to a Thai restaurant with the newbies that started work, and then to a sushi place yesterday. How do you eat healthy with asian food with all that white rice and sauces? I am so glad that I now have 3 people under me to do a lot of the grunt work. :) I don't get to assign them anything really, but a lot of work will be headed to them instead of me :)

Oh, it's nice to finally have a grunt of your own--lol! My DH has the most seniority in his dept now but, unfortunately, he's as busy as ever, probably even more so than before. He's in demand for the meeting circuit, too, and is often asked to present at medical meetings all over the friggin place. That's the price you pay for being really good at what you do.

There are only so many hours in a day and you have to prioritize. If you had more time you could focus on both your home and your personal needs, but you don't have that luxury right now. One day you will, so hang in there and in the meantime don't sweat over what you can't accomplish and give your all to what you CAN do.

DH and I talked again last night about the job in Abilene. He changed his mind and decided that he would just apply to see what they pay and if he would like the job. I said thats fine, but just to realized that it is not as simple as just applying, we have to put our life on hold to find out what we are doing. We can not try to conceive this month and need to stop paying extra on loans to save (since I don't want to live apart while pregnant). So then after I said that he got all upset and decided not to apply anymore. It is just so hard for me to be supportive when I did the math and financially this would be really really really bad for us because we still have a lot of debt to pay off and we need to save some money. Even the highest conceivable amount he could make at this new job would not be enough to pay off the loans and save like we need to. I just don't know what to tell him. He is so frustrated because he feels "trapped" because of the debt, and a majority of the debt was mine. I don't want him to resent me because he can't explore this opportunity because we have too much debt. If he can just wait for less than a year, we will be in a great financial position for him to go to another job, but he is not excited about these other jobs. So I just don't know what to do. I just don't think it would work out financially at all because I could not get a job there. If this opportunity came up six months from now, I would be happy to move. But it is just not possible right now, we wouldn't be able to make even the minimum payments on our loans unless I stayed in Houston for a long time to pay it off.

On a lighter note...

I am thinking on doing an all Cathe workout instead of continuing with the Five Factor workout. I feel like I have built up a little bit more strength and I am getting back into the habit of working out and kinda want to move on. The work just gets a little repetitive by week 3. I do like that the workout is short, and maybe that is the reason I am doing it instead of Cathe, but at the same time I have to wear a bikini in less than a month!! So, what do y'all suggest for toning up? I was thinking maybe of doing a Gym Style or Pure Strength rotation so that I can get more muscle tone, or do you think muscle endurance rotation is the way to go? I definitely need to do some core work too. Any suggestions on a rotation?

Oh yeah, it might be helpful to tell you what I have -

I have Gym Styles, Pure Strength, MM, ME, HSC, Bootcamp, Pyramids, Legs & Glutes, Kickmax and KPC, Imax 2 & C&W, Low Max, Core max - I have other ones but these are my favorites

Diane {{{{{HUGS}}}}},

You and your DH are great people. I know this all seems so hard right now, and it IS hard, but it will all work out in the end, I promise you. I have to agree that it's important to pay off your debt as soon as possible. That kind of thing can weigh you down, especially if you take a cut in pay and then add a child to the mix. Sometimes opportunities like this come along but they just aren't meant to be in the here and now. There will be many more opportunities at your doorstep in the future. Everything doesn't hinge on this one thing. I can understand you DH's feelings--he'll need time to work through it in his mind and heart and I have no doubt that he will.

Diane, you were right to bring up the debt and what a potential change in income would mean for your lives realistically. You have to know what you're dealing with in order to be prepared. It would be foolish to rush headlong into a new job and a big move without carefully weighing all the the pros and cons. Your DH knows this. He just needs time to sit with it. And the school debt belongs to both of you so I don't think that you should blame yourself as if you squelched his dream. He knew about the financial burdens up front. And hey, we all had them as young grads and newlyweds.

You hang in there. This to shall pass. I'll keep you both in my thoughts and prayers. You had mentioned before that this new position was with a christian institution? If you and your DH are the praying types, then I recommend you hold this up in pray together. Nothing brings a couple closer together than sharing prayer.

ETA that I just saw your new post. I don't have all those workouts but I like the GS, although I haven't done the GS w/o's yet. I just ordered them a few weeks ago and I've been doing ME. I haven't had time to do more than preview GS but they look great.

Hey girls,

Have a very short break here and people looking over my shoulder so I have to be quick. Just a quick HELLo to everyone out there, things are ok today. Traffic was a you know what and another 1.5 hour drive into work today. Yeah, fun...uhhhhh........just nuts!!!

Diane, I am not sure what is going on, but hopefully you are ok. Email me (it's easier for me to check) and let me know what is up.

Hello to everyone! Michele-Thanks so much for all your prayers and big hugs! They made a BIG diff!!!!

Ok, got to run, back to work, back to work, light duty, light duty (Diane, remeber that commerical???)I think I just spelled that all wrong, but in a major hurry!

HELLO KATE AND AUGUST!!!

BBL,
janjan

Janjan, it does my heart good to see a little spunkiness back in your posts! It looks like things are maybe a little better today? Sorry about that long commute, though. You better believe I prayed for you. I pray for all of you;) :*

Hello there!

Wow, I'm having some wacky allergy attacks this morning! Itchy eyes, sneezy nose, the whole works! Yuck! x(

Janjan - Yes, glad to hear that the 2nd day went better. How are the people you're working with? You like 'em? Oh yes, we want many updates as they happen via work, heh heh!

Michele - Glad to hear DH is safe and sound at home, sleeping deeply in bed. That apple oatmeal sounded totally delish. Thanks for writing out the details. Of course I have no apples today. Urgh. Oh, and don't get me started talking about being anal.

Kate - I agree with Michele about your account at the cardio bank. You've got major funds. You need to keep your energy right now to get better first and then you'll be up to normal Kate speed. Of course, I use the word "normal" figuratively LOL. :7

Diane - I use Quaker old fashioned oats (unlike the kind Michele uses, "Quacker" oats, which is a very popular oats for ducks :D LOL). Man, I love oats, but I guess that's because I love goop. What on earth are "sauces" at a sushi restaurant? The only sauce I encounter at sushi restaurants is soy sauce. By the way, if you want to skip the rice, you could try sashimi (sushi without the rice)...As for your DH's dream job situation, here's what I think. And if you're not into reading the flip-side, skip over this section, and ignore, ignore, ignore! You said that you guys had come to a decision NOT to go for it, right? That your DH was fine with the decision NOT to go for it after all, right? If that's the case, and he's just kind of wavering and not sure about it, maybe really only just wanting some kind of change, then, especially with what you're feeling, I would think it best not to go for it. However, being someone who is in the music business and pursues dreams all my life, if this job is what your DH is referring to as his "dream" job and really means that (or is convinced of that), I'd say that's really important. Dream jobs don't come by all the time. Especially the ones where you're convinced it's a dream job (even though it might not be). For myself, I believe it's always good to take the adventure, and see where it leads you. Now, that's assuming that the reason YOU don't want to possibly move there is only because of the debt, and from what you've written before about the subject, it seemed that you were starting to think the move might not be so bad. Don't let the debt rule your lives (course, that's easy for me to say because I have none, so take that with a grain of salt). As for your rotation, have you checked the rotations threads?

Yeow, what the heck time is it? I've been writing and nose-dripping all morning! And it's time to make some more tea while I digest. Today I'm going to try out that Fiesta dance workout again. THIS time I'm going to LOVE it. Hopefully.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.