I Hate Cardio But Only When I Love Weights - Sept 28

August

Cathlete
Can you even believe that I don't know what chicken broth is?! LOL. It's sold in a can but isn't Cambell's? So confusing! x( :+ You'd think I'd know what chicken broth is! Thank goodness I know what barley is now. :*

Diane - Hmm. First anniversary gifts.......How about the two of you put your money together and go out for a romantic evening somewhere? A limo ride around town after dinner?

Michele - No shoes yet? Urgh! You mean you didn't find any that fit well, or you just plain ol' didn't find any you liked the looks of? Oh wow! Chicken broth in a carton! Wild! When I go to the import store again, I'll take a look to see what they have. I've never seen it in the store but maybe it's because I wasn't looking. I just bought this funky giant mug thingy that you can put whatever in it and put it in the microwave and it'll make up all sorts of yummy things. I'm hoping I can make fresh barley this way...and if I can find that chicken broth, well, look out Culinary World! LMAO.

LMAO again - I just took a look at all the shoes Diane picked out and my first response was - ooh, I love those sandals! Then I read Michele's comment...haha. Wha? FREE SHIPPING both ways? Geez! Go for it, Michele!

Janjan, Kate, Dana, where you at? (Besides bed at this very moment.)

Okay, so my rotation for next month. You know, I've actually started to wonder if I should ask someone to critique it for me. I think when I have a little time, I'll post it on the rotations board and see if someone will take a look at it.

:7 I did my Jari S&L today and whooped when I finished. :D

Morning ladies. I"m off work today so I can check in. Yipee! Actually I'm off tomorrow as well. Gabe has off of school today and tomorrow. I had to use a vacation day today and my office is closed tomorrow. The Bloomsburg Fair is going on here right now. I believe it is one of the biggest fairs in Pennsyvania. BUT, I am not going. $5 to park, $4 to get in and then the price of all the food is outrageous. No thank you, I'll stay home!

August - I am worried about you. I leave and you turn into a cardio lovin' fool. What are we going to do with you?}( And, I can't believe that you do not know what chicken broth is. 2 brands that come to mind are Swanson's and College Inn. Would you like me to send you a can?

Michele - when are you going to Italy? Sounds fabulous.

Diane - when is your anniversary? How about a romatic hot air balloon ride? (my 5 year anniversary is on Oct 27)

Jana - how's the job going? What is the status of childcare for Marley? I know you had said that you were looking into a Nanny for her.

Hey Kate - what's up with you?

Ya know, I wish that I could log onto here and tell you ladies how great I am. Seems that I am always down. Last time I posted I had told you about my accident and my crappy health insurance. Well then I was feeling HORRIBLE for weeks. 2 weeks prior to my accident I felt extremely dizzy, like I was not in my own body. This lasted up until Monday. I was sitting at my desk at work, my ear popped and instantly my dizziness was gone. So I haven't been exercising b/c of feeling so crappy. But yesterday I did walk 7.5 miles so at least I did somthing. My eating has been out of control though. I am an emotional eater and with how crappy things have been going with me lately, I've been eating way too much crap. And now I come to find out this: I have been at my job for 5 YEARS, yes 5 long years. The lady that I mentioned before has been at her job for 5 months. For some odd reason, my job in the office is the only one that is a union position, the others are not. You would think that the union job would get better benefits, etc. but it does not. Anyway, back to what I was originally getting at. I was looking at the notes from the school board meeting and it listed the salaries of all of the employees in my office. I am making LESS THAN the girl that has only been there for 5 months. I don't even make that much money to begin with and then I see this. I went into the bathroom b/c I could not stop from crying. I am not saying that I am perfect at all but I am darn good at my job and I put 100% into it. I have an excellent rapport with parents, administrators from other agencies. I do the job of 3 people but yet make the least amount of money in my office. My boss is the director of spec ed and I go to admin meetings for her when she is unable to attend. I process papers that she should do, I apply for funds for our spec ed program. I am doing the job that an administrator should do for a measily $10.02 an hour. My boss makes $77,000. Don't get me wrong, I have the BEST boss anyone could ask for and she deserves every penny she makes but I feel that I am treated unfairly. There isn't anything that my boss can do for me #1 b/c it my job is a union position and #2 b/c all changes need to be approved by the school board. I could get a job in a factory making more money without the added stress. I bust my butt working while the girl across from me talks to her mom on the phone EVERYDAY at the same time for at least an hour and yes she has been at her position shorter then me and makes more money. Ladies, I don't know what to do. The pros of my job are that I have a great boss, I get 15 days paid vacation and 12 paid sick days, good hours (7:30-3:30), I do have health insurance and since it is a school, I do get off a lot of paid days. But the pay sucks and I feel as though I am treated unfairly. I have been working in an office for 9 years so I don't really have any other skills. I do have my cosmetology license but after I finished beauty school and worked in a salon, I realized that just isn't my thing. I need a job where I have Health Insurance, good hours and flexibility b/c of my kids (if they get sick, days off for when Gabe doesn't have school). I keep thinking that if we didn't need health insurance I could start some sort of home business. No idea what I would do, but it has to be better then where I am at now?

Sorry this is so long - I just never seem to get a break. DH left this morning to go to Maryland so I've got the kids by myself until Sunday night. Talk about STRESS!:)

I wil check in later with all of you. Have a great day!

Good morning August and all!

August, it's a good idea to post your rotation for review and critique. I'm sure you'll get some very good responses. They'll probably tell you to increase your cardio:eek: . Just kidding--lol! --How can yo not know what chicken broth is?--LMAO!! --By all means look for it in the carton if possible. I'm telling you, broth in a resealable carton will revolutionize your cooking/eating habits.

Diane, I'm sorry, but I was so totally focused on shoes yesterday that I missed your question about an anniversary gift for your DH. I really like August's suggestion! It sounds very romantic. My DH and I have never exchanged gifts on our anniversary. We used to take a long weekend trip back to where we honeymooned every year, but we stopped doing that about 10 years ago simply because we travel a fair amount all ready. Now we go out to dinner at a very nice 4* restaurant and exhange dopey, sappy cards--lol! It may not seem like much but quite honestly, my DH is gone so much that we spend very little time together, so lingering over a nice dinner in a fancy French restaurant is special to us.

Janjan, I'm still interested in Puma's but you cannot find them around here. I'll probably order a pair from Zappo's to try. How are you? How often will you be required to travel for your job?

Kate, I hope you'll come and make your 1000th post today. I miss you terribly and think of you often.

Dana, I miss you, too. How're things at work?

Well, I saw plenty of shoes I liked but none that were comfy to wear. Shoe shopping is always very stressful and yesterday was no different. I have weird feet and they don't take well to shoes--lol. Really, I have a Morton's toe (a condition by which you have long metatarsal bones and your 2nd toe is longer than your big toe), a high arch and a high instep, and plantar faciitis, so trying to find shoes is like trying to find the proverbial needle in a haystack. I literally need to try on DOZENS of shoes to find one pair that fits and feels good on. Lack of selection is a big problem around here. I went to the best shopping mall within a 50 mile radius of my house and found NOTHING! URGH!! Zappo's, here I come. I'll be at my computer today pouring over shoes online.

My workout today calls for those dreaded lunges;(

I'll see ya!:*

Dana!! We must've posted at the same time. I'm so glad you're feeling better. Wow, you must've had some fluid trapped in your ears. I'm glad that's cleared up.

It's really hard to understand how someone with less time on the job can be earning more than you. This was the case for me as well when I was working in a hospital. This was back in the 80's and several of us nurses who had been on the job for years realized that nurses hired after us had exceeded our hourly pay. It turns out that the hospital had increased the starting pay so someone hired 2 years after me would be earning more than me once they received their first raise. I, too, was earning more than nurses hired before me. This was entirely due to the increase in starting salary. I believe it's still an issue today.

Can you talk to your union representative or your boss about a raise? Also, I would report the bimbo who spends an hour of work time yakking on the phone. That's just unaccpetable. I think you can easily nmake the case for why you deserve an increase in salary. Point out the inequity in salary of the different people in our office. I would try to resolve things at your current job for all the reasons you stated in your post. If they refuse to address your concerns then I would look elsewhere, but try to work it out. Your current position seems ideal on so many other levels. Good luck and please keep us posted.

Hi Ladies -

Dana, I'm so glad you posted. I'm sorry about your job situation. Since it sounds like you like your position generally, why don't you talk to your union rep? They are supposed to be your advocate in these situations. However, be careful not to ruffle too many feathers because employers sometimes have issues with union reps telling them what to do. Also might be a little difficult to get a raise if your salary is set by some rate that the union negotiated at an earlier point in time. A school will probably not want to make that change if it means that have to also give raises to everyone else in your same position. Our law firm represents school districts and I did a rotation in that section, so saw some of these issues play out. But I think you should consult with your union rep to see what your options are.

Michele - I got your package yesterday!! Thank you so much, you are so sweet. I am so mad because I forgot to take it to work today, but I will try some tonight. Let us know what shoes you pick out.

Jana - How is work today? I am up to my eyeballs again and I am just too tired to start. I think I am going to Artista for lunch today again for a recruit. Yummy salads!

August - YOu cardio lovin' fool. Chicken broth may not change your life ;) but it is essential for healthy cooking. There is also veggie and beef broth, so many options!

Well, for our first anniversary we are already going on a vacation for a week the week before, so we decided not to do an expensive dinner or anything like that since we will have just come back from vacation the day before. Maybe we can just exchange cards or something? I got an idea for the internet to have a picnic on paper plates, and I thought that was kinda cute.

The kitties are back home and they look so pathetic. They are just so tired and I think they lost some weight. The vet shaved way too much of Sydney's tummy hair too (going up the side), and she looks a little weird. Poor girls. But they are fine.

Diane, I love the idea of a picnic on paper plates. That sounds very romantic:+ . When are you going on your trip?

I'm glad you got the turkey jerky. I was starting to get worried about it. Let me know what you think of it. I hope you like it--I do!

We are going on the trip the week of Oct 9, so soon! It just all of a sudden is almost October, September flew by so fast. Our anniversary is Oct. 15th, so we will get back day before our anniversary.

I think maybe will just exchange cards and have a nice dinner at home on paper plates with some paper cups or something. And eat some of our wedding cake!

Hey ladies. Thank you for the words of advice. After I got off the computer this morning I got 2 phone calls. Seems like the business manager does not want to lose me so they are recreating another position in the office that I am to apply for. I will keep my current duties but will be adding some more things, thus the new position. It will give me a bit of a raise, NO union dues, reduced rates for health insurance and 3 personal days (which I do not currently get). I will have to work an hour longer each day so I"m hoping to work something out like just take a 1/2 hour lunch and either go in at 7:00 or stay until 4:00. Wish me luck b/c since it is a new position, they will have to advertise it and interview for it. I am going to try to stay positive but I"m not going to think that I have the job.

Diane - did you have your kitties spayed or where they sick? I hope that they weren't sick.

I am cleaning and I just took a break until the floors dried. I'm sure that they are dry so back to cleaning I go.

Talk to you all later!

Uh oh. I just woke up. It's 2:30am. I was so sleepy at 10pm, I ended up going to sleep then. Uhhhhhh....

Dana - DANA! Hi, hi, hi! It's always great to see you. Yay, no work, no work! You're so sweet to offer to send me a can of chicken broth! No, I'm sure I must be being lame about this as I was about barley. It must be around here somewhere, I'm just not looking at the right place. I'll definitely look when I'm at the import store next!

You were feeling awful and you couldn't log on to visit us? That totally sucks. That's awful to hear. How weird about your ear and how clear-cut it was that when it popped it became better. I'm sorry to hear that eating has been askew while you've been so involved with other things going on. Oh man, what in the world are they listing salaries for?! Is that kosher to do? What is the meaning to post salaries? And why on earth would someone who has been there only 5 months earn the same as you? I think Michele's advice is very good. You've been there a solid amount of time and have certainly proven to your boss that you are a hard worker (as partly evidenced by your boss preparing a special printer for you). I would think it's totally reasonable to ask for a raise.

OH! I just got to your last post. That's great news about the two calls. Does what they are offering you feel right? I mean, it will make you feel satisfied and happy to continue on there? It sounds like you have a bit of the upper hand here, which is a great place to be.

Michele - Yeah, that re-sealable container looks great - like the one my Edensoy soy milk comes in. I'm ready to be revolutionized! LOL. Oh wow, finding shoes sounds like a major ordeal for your special feet! I'm guessing by the sounds of it, there's not even really a brand that you've found to work for you in the past. Urgh. I'll keep sending you good shoe-finding vibes.

Diane - I can see how chicken broth would be a huge part of cooking. I guess you can kind of tell that I've only started cooking for myself recently :) . Wow. I can't wait to go to the import store again LOL. The paper plate picnic sounds really cute and romantic! If you do that at home, make sure you do it on the floor with candles! Glad to hear the girls are fine, albeit beat.

Janjan, Kate........where you guys at? Out of bed by now, I should think! Like me x( .

:D

Hey you guys, I just checked on Japan's Yahoo shopping and found they are selling the Swanson's 12 can pack (it's about $30 for those who are curious about scary import prices). Of course Yahoo is sold out of the product at this time x( . But there is hope! :7

Dana - That is so great that they were able to create a position for you. sounds like if they are willing to create the position, they will also be flexible with your schedule and let you come in 7 to 4.

The kitties just got spayed and declawed, so they are pretty out of it right now. Poor girls. But we thought it would be better for them to go through the trauma of surgery once instead of two times.

August - Yes that sounds like the right stuff! That is crazy how much it costs, it is less than $1 a can in the US.

RE: I Hate Cardio But Only When I Love Weights - Sept 2...

Michele!!! More shoes!!

I was reading through one of my favorite fashion blogs (shefinds.com) and found out about another brand of comfortable, yet stylish shoe - Born. They are also very well priced.

http://www.onlineshoes.com/productpage.asp?type=brand&brandid=31&brandcatid=catall&gen=w&pcid=43251 (sandal without thing between toes)

http://www.onlineshoes.com/productpage.asp?type=brand&brandid=31&brandcatid=catall&gen=w&pcid=30231

http://www.onlineshoes.com/productpage.asp?type=brand&brandid=31&brandcatid=catall&gen=w&pcid=61933

http://www.onlineshoes.com/productpage.asp?type=brand&brandid=31&brandcatid=299&gen=w&pcid=38225 (casual night on the town :D

Dana, WOO HOO!! That is so neat that they are willing to create a new position for you. I realize they have to post it but still, you'll get it. My sister is a public school teacher and I kind of understand how the system works.

August, see what I mean? You can't get by without canned chicken broth. You're just now discovering what the rest of the whole world knows--LMAO!

Okay, here's what I have saved in my favorites at Zappo's so far, aside from the shoes Diane posted yesterday. Tell me what you think (these are strictly for walking around and sightseeing):

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/p/7189029/c/46841.html

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/p/7222199/c/58278.html

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/p/7201304/c/9412.html

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/p/7255924/c/3.html

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/p/7255915/c/3.html

You can say it--they're all too clunky, aren't they? ;(

I think I like the 3rd one the best of the choices. First one is too clunky for my taste, seems more like a hiking shoe. The 3rd one seems the most like an updated tennis shoe which I think is the look you are going for.

Honestly Diane, I have no idea what kind of look I'm going for--lol! My main criteria is excellent arch support and a cushiony sole. That 1st shoe is my least favorite as well. I saw the Rieker's in a travel specialty catalog so that's why I looked at them. I like Born's but I've never been able to wear them. They tend to be too wide or something.

Oh! I just saw your post--I'm going to look at those shoes now. Thank you so much for all your help:)

Diane, thanks! I bookmarked several of your selections. You've been a big help. I still really like the Aerosoles and Naturalizers you picked out, too. I'm probably just going to order a pair of each so I can see what they look like up close and personal. At least Zappo's has free shipping both ways.

If you don't know what look you are going for, maybe get a few of each type: a updated tennis shoe, a loafer type, and ballet flat type to see what you like. The good thing about the loafers and ballet flats is that they can be worn both with jeans and with slacks. By the way, I really like the red loafers I just sent. Red is the color of the season this Fall for accessories and shoes, so you can be hip and not so touristy. ;-)

I just placed a $700 order with Zappo's:eek:. I ordered six of the above styles. If none of them work I'll just have to shoot myself--lol! I ordered 3 pairs in a loafer and the rest are updated tennis shoes. The Stonefly with the wedge heel is starting to grow on me. I hated it when I first looked at it but the reviews are so good! Same with the Mephisto. I wore Mephisto's when we went to Germany a few years ago and they were pretty comfy. The pair I bought back then were much clunkier, though, like a brown suede athletic walking shoe.

I know, I placed a $500 order the other day knowing I will probably ship some back (without free shipping!!) but sometimes that is what you have to do if you can't find it in stores. I hope you like a few of them!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.