HIIT it!

lederr

Cathlete
Okay, so here was my workout for today (I followed iTread #19 for the first part):

iTread 19 – Sprints (30 minutes)

Warm up/Walk-4.5
Sprint 1 – 9.2 (2 minutes)
7.5 (1 minute)
Walk 4.5
Sprint 2 – 9.2 (2 minutes)
7.5 (2 minutes)
Walk 4.5
Sprint 3 – 2.5% incline – 9.1 (1 minute)-Grace says to do a 5% incline, but I am running a lot faster than her speeds so I decrease the incline by half
2.5% incline – walk (1 minute)-4.5
Sprint 4 - 2.5% incline – 9.1 (1 minute)
0% incline – walk (2 minutes)
Sprint 5 – 9.3 (1 minute)
Walk (1 minute) 4.5
Sprint 6 9.4 (2 minutes)
Walk (2 minutes)
Sprint 7 – 9.4 (3 minutes)
7.5 (1.5 minutes)
Sprint 8 – 9.4 (2 minutes)
Walk
Turn off CD and add on 7 more sprints (for a total of 15)…9.5 for 45 seconds and walk at 4.5 for 1 minute

Then, run at 7.2-7.5 to make distance an even 7 miles.

Here are my questions:

Are the longer intervals Grace does too long (2-3 minutes)?

She also has you run after a sprint before walking...is that bad?

I know HIIT is supposed to make you feel like you can not even take another step, so is the fact that I am still able to run for about a mile mean I'm not doing it right? I feel winded and almost puke-y when I am doing a sprint, but not after.

How many days a week should I do HIIT?

After this, I did upper body and abs. I have been doing HIIT along with my weight workouts and the other days doing endurance runs (I am doing a half marathon in Novemeber and don't want to lose my conditioning).

Any help/advice would be appreciated!

Hey Lorie. Let me see if I can answer your questions. First off, HIIT should really last no longer than 20-25 minutes max. If you feel like you can do more, you're not doing it right.

If you are doing an all out sprint, meaning the fastest you can possibly go, you shouldn't be able to then run/jog on 7.2 on anything after that sprint. You should take a recovery walk for a minute to a minute and a half. So, it seems to me you need to up the speed of your sprints if you can last that long. You shouldn't be able to do more than 45 seconds to a minute of it. HIIT does simulate that almost puke status (not in a truly sick way, obviously) and you should feel like you can't do more after that 20 minutes.

I would not do HIIT more than twice a week, spread out, because it does a take a very tough toll on your body.

I did my 20 minutes of sprinting 9.5 for a minute and walking on 3.5 for a minute. Usually by the 5th interval I am really trying to keep that mind-body connection to push through.

So...does that help some? I am by no means an expert, but I can certainly help here and there :)

Debbie

Brain cells come & brain cells go, but fat cells live forever.

Thanks SO much, Deb. It does help. At the time that I'm doing it, I do feel like I just can't hold out for very long, but after, I feel good. I can't imagine I need to go faster than 9.5, but I'm guessing I do. Next time I do it (should be Wednesday or Thursday), I will try for 45 seconds at 9.7-10.0 and 60 seconds of a recovery walk. I think that would absolutely kill me (but isn't that the point?!?!).

LOL! I think you have the idea! Sometimes it is trial and error what puke status w/o any extras really is. Doesn't that sound like an inviting exercise menu option? Wow, you're going to push me to go beyond 9.5 one of these days. Right now, I'm not so sure I can swing and finish my intervals. Maybe if I cut it 45 sec I can. Hmmmm. Lets maim ourselves together ;)

Debbie

Hi!

I did a 25 min HIIT workout after L&G :eek: :eek:

Lorie ~ Thanks for starting this thread!

Debbie ~ THANK YOU for the HIIT clarifications...I also have some adjusting to do :+

I definitely have some adjusting to do.

I am going to do it again this week with Deb's suggestions. I think we should have the check-in every day because I would be interested to see what other workouts people are doing along with HIIT. I can't decide what I am going to do tomorrow. I did my HIIT today as well as upper body and abs. I was thinking about doing L&G tomorrow but that always leaves me SOOOO sore (I wouldn't be able to run the next day let alone do HIIT!). Then, I was thinking about doing a nice run tomorrow but that might not be smart after my 7 miles today. Maybe Cardio Fusion or Hardcore Extreme? Maybe a circuit workout? I have no idea! AGHHHHHH!

I am following the August '04 rotation and I am LOVING it. I try to fit in
at least 2 HIIT workouts a week.

Lorie ~ I vote for L&G tomorrow}( }( I did it today before my HIIT training }( }(

Lorie! Have fun with your HIIT :) Just try not to overdo your legs too many days in a row. At least if you are going to run, do a lighter more steady state deal.

Tammy, I'm glad you're having fun with your rotation! I'll be watching to see what you do ;)

Tomorrow I'll hit the gym early for heavy chest/shoulders and then home for IM3 after I put Aiden down. My schedule is a little screwy since Aiden just started preschool yesterday. They only have an hour session for the first two days so I'm shifting some stuff around.

I'll be back to check on y'all. Mwahahaha.

Debbie

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.