Healthy Hedonists 1/19

lesliew

Cathlete
Hi Everyone!

I was away from the computer yesterday and just had the chance to catch up and read everyone's posts from yesterday. I really enjoyed reading about everyone's hedonistic pleasures. They were all so eloquently written, and I could easily imagine myself enjoying them with you!

Despite the fact that I was pressed for time yesterday I managed to eat relatively clean, squeeze in Cathe's PUB (up only), and work on my pull ups. I have the Iron Woody Pull Up Assist Bands and they are fabulous. As most of you know, back and legs are two muscle groups that are hard to exhaust when doing home workouts. Pull ups really work the back muscles, which I think is why so many people have found success and transformed themselves doing the P90X workouts. I'm so glad I have these, because there's no way I can do a pull up unassisted.

We finally had our first snowfall in CT yesterday. Still not enough to warrant a trip to our local ski resort, but it was pretty, nontheless!

Anyone have any fun plans for the weekend? I'll be back later to check on them!

Hey All!

Leslie - where can you get the Iron Woody Pull Up Assist Bands? I'm really interested in them as my other bands are not strong or hard enough for me. Glad you're enjoying the snowfall! I really miss the first snow of the season here in the Bay Area of California. We get snow on the mountains sometimes, but not down in the valley. Enjoy it!

Oh, was I hedonistic yesterday!!! My DH's boss took us out as a thank you. We went to Alexander's Steak House which, ironically, is right down the road from us but we had never been there. It's an American Steak house whose ownder is Chinese and the chef is Half Japanese half Anglo - so there is a large Asian influence to the food. We started with a fabulous champagne, then switched to an incredible Pinot Noir. Had cavier (yum!), these shot glasses filled with yellowtail, ginger, red peppers, cilantro and some other flavors, then an aged t-bone with a baked potato and green beans. Followed by a wonderful port. Of course at 3AM my stomach protested all the rich food and wine, so I'm dealing with that. I cannot eat like that (or drink like that!) any more. But, I stepped on the scale this morning and weighed what I did yesterday, so I'm doing okay. I am hoping to get enough of an oomph to do an iCycle workout at the gym this afternoon.

Hello to all who follow! Anyone have any good New Englandy ideas for another play off party this weekend? (DH is a huge Patriots fan) I'm thinking New England Clam Chowder and some chilled shrimp (seafood is big there) - any other ideas? Figured you ladies would have some good ones.

Yum Christine. The clam chowder sounds great. Make a nice crusty loaf of bread to go with it. Then maybe some spinach/artichoke dip to spread on the bread.

This is the weekend we go to the Finger Lakes. We'll be leaving about 9am, after I do a workout, so we should get to the first winery about 11. I'm not sure which lake and which direction we'll go in. We'll probably hit 4 or 5 wineries before we get to our hotel in Geneva, with a room overlooking Seneca Lake. We will definatly stop at Dr. Konstantin Frank, my personal favorite. The wines are superb, the tastings generous and the staff friendly and knowledgable. We been there often enough that we "know" some of the staff and always have a great time there. Now if only I could afford to buy cases of their wine. Another favorite is Lakewood Winery. Again, we have gotten to know some of the staff, especially one of the winery family members, who has a nephew with the same birth defect as our son. They have a very affordable white table wine that I could live on.

We will probably eat at KYO Asian Bistro in Geneva. And drink some more NY State wine. Breakfast will be at a small store-front diner on the main street in Geneva, then stops at a couple more wineries on the way home.

If you are interested in seeing where we will be, go to www.newyorkwines.org and check out Seneca and Keuka Lakes in the Finger Lakes region. I'm so hedonistically looking forward to this.

Hi ladies! Well, my friend couldn't make it last night so I didn't do any yoga but DH & I did sip some good cabernet instead so my day ended on a hedonistic note anyway!

Leslie - Missed you yesterday! Great workout. I've never done pull-ups before but I'm interested. I workout in a finished basement so where would I put a pull-up bar & is it easy to install? And would my DH think I'm crazy? :p Enjoy the snow. Even though it has turned cold here, we still haven't gotten any. Maybe soon (I hope)...

Christine - Oh, you're hedonistic meal sounded wonderful! Glad you enjoyed it & glad the scale didn't move too. Hope you get your workout in. For your Pats party, how about crabmeat stuffed mushrooms, bruschetta, or some kind of a shrimp or lobster dish (hot shrimp dip or lobster bisque)?

Robin - You're trip sounds so fun! I can't imagine how excited you must be. I'll definitely check out that link. Wonder if we could find any of those wines around here? Have a fabulous time & drink one for us!:9

Today, I did a mixed-up workout because my upper body is still sore from ME. So I did a blend of lower body (L&G), abs (KPC), & a cool-down, including some yoga on my own. It left me feeling very good. For breakfast, I had steel cut oats with peanut butter, fresh fruit, & yogurt. Then I went a little hedonistic at lunch. I went to a little Thai restaurant with DH & it was delish! I had hot & sour soup, spicy szechuan tofu with vegetables, & brown rice. YUM! The only thing that would have made that spicy dish any better is a good beer. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to wait until tonight for that!}(

I've been real busy here today but I'll try to check back in later. If I don't have the chance, let me wish you all a good afternoon & a great weekend to follow!

Cheers!:+
Kel

Hello to everyone!

Darn, Christine, I would be doubled over after a dinner like that, but VERY HAPPY!!! If this cool group ever manages to get together, let's just be happy with the champagne, pinot and salad!

I made the red bean cakes with creamy coconut sauce and the spinach and pear salad from Vegan Planet last night, with an truly delicous Australian Shiraz that I bought by the case at Christmas time. :7 Excellent dinner. Before that I did MIS through the back exercises, then skipped to abs because I really fried my upper body on Wednesday doing Powerstrike 2.:7 Today was supposed to be a rest day, but it looks like I won't be able to get a massage appointment, so I can't resist doing upper body! That soreness from Powerstrike now feels like an invitation to bust some fibers. :7

Dinner at our friends' ranch tonight. I'm bringing a fabulous butternut squash soup that I found in Food and Wine a couple of months ago and modified to Vegan. These are friends who are actually trying the ETL "diet" after I gave them the book for Christmas. So, my friend will have hummus and a huge salad to go with our soup. AND WINE. GOOD WINE. And a two and a half year old.....x( x(

I absolutely LOVE this checkin and reading about your pleasures and workouts. (And yes - I really do have the gym I described! Everyone but you guys thinks I'm nuts!)

Hi Christine! Great dinner & wine you had last night! Your recipes always sound so yummy. Do you get them all from Vegan Planet? Good workout yesterday & this morning too.

Have fun with your friends tonight. Sounds like the wine will come in very handy with a 2 1/2 year old around. :p :7

I enjoy reading these posts everyday too & I think we'd have a blast if we're ever able to have a healthy hedonist get-together.

Take care & have a great weekend!

Kel

Charlotte, those red bean cakes sound good. I have that cookbook, but haven't perused it for a while. I'll have to look them up. I found some roasted red pepper and mozerella ravioli at the grocery store that I plan on having for dinner. Any suggestions as to the sauce? I thought maybe a simple marinara. A healthy hedonist get together would be fun. I get Cooking Light and they talk about having cooking clubs. Maybe we can have a Cathe On-Line Cooking Club and all prepare the same meal some evening.

Back to check-in!

Christine--I found the Iron Woody Bands at their website. Just google Iron Woody. Sorry, but I don't know how to post a link here! They have several packages and if you do a search of the site you can find them. The package I have is called the Assisted Pull Up package and it comes with 3 bands of different sizes. It cost about $60, but they're made well. My kids sit on them and use them as a swing!
BTW, I was drooling over the meal you had! How rich and decadent! As far as N.E ideas...I'm in Patriots country but we're not fans. We love the Jets. The owner of the Patriots kind of screwed CT out of a stadium deal and DH has never forgiven him! Men and their football (whatever!) anyhoo... Chowder is a must, hotdogs, baked beans and brown bread are also New England staples. But, if you're serving hot dogs look for buns with the split on top. That's how we New Englanders eat them!

Robin--Enjoy your weekend at the Finger Lakes. As I recall, this is your birthday weekend, right? HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Kel--As far as pull up bars are concerned, well..I use my kids trapeze bar that was once on their swing set outside! My DH attached it to the rafter in the basement using a couple of hooks. I wrap the pull up band around the bar and step in it with my foot. As my strength increases I'll use my knee instead of my foot. Then it's time to move up to a smaller band.

Charlotte--I'm thinking of getting a Powersrike workout. I've heard so many good things about that series. I think my issue of Collage has one in it. Enjoy your dinner tonight. Let me know if the butternut squash soup is good. I may ask you for the recipe. Sounds like your going to enjoy a healthy meal.

I think I'll have DH bring home a pizza tonight. I usually make them from scratch but I ran out of yeast and forgot to order more. I get it at King Arthur, it's ridiculously cheap there! Today I did a hodge podge workout consisting of Body Max step and power circuits with some leg exercises from Butts and Gutts and Gym Style Legs. Felt great!

Have a great weekend everyone!

Just checking back in to let you all know our plans had to be changed. DH caught a cold and we decided to reschedule for Feb 3. Thanks for the birthday wishes leslie, but you are about 6 months early. My birthday is in June. Leslie, are you talking about the King Arthur store in VT? I was there the summer before last, on a trip to visit my mom, who lives in Barre. I loved the store. Lucky you if you live close.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.